LF a Viable Immortal PVP Build

Hachirowan

Original post was blasted into oblivion when the forums went down and I wasn't able to get all the good information saved in time :(

I'll be rolling Immortal for PvE and PvP and I am looking for an almost Pure Immortal build that would work well in PvP. I have seen tanks do very well in other MMOs within a PvP setting and I am hoping to capture that in TOR.

There were a lot of good replies in my original Thread, but I didn't save any of it. So please, if you can, repost your builds or feel free to add any new information you may find during early access.

Thanks,

If you look at the skill trees, it is almost impossible to screw it up as there's very little actual choice available to you. ;)

The only real question mark you'll likely ask yourself about in the Immortal tree is whether to take 'Crash' or not. Resolve sucks, and the stun component added to Force Charge is almost not helpful, since you're not always going to save Force Charge just to interrupt someone (remember, the person is rooted for 2 s already, so adding a 2 s stun is of limited importance, especially when taking Resolve into the picture). I've found myself both praising having the stun on Force Charge, and cursing as I had to Force Charge to get to someone and then finding their Resolve Bar now maxed, when I really had no need to stun them at the exact moment I had Force Charged them.

It's a double-edged sword that I'm still not sure which way I'll be going for live. As far as your throw-away tree goes, I went with the Vengeance tree.

Immortal Jug spec is a good support spec, though with Resolve working as well as it does, our plethora of stuns at 50 have far less 'bang for the buck' so to speak. We're still great Huttball carriers though, as there's always an idiot or two who let you Force Charge your way around the map. :p

Otherwise, we're Guard machines and anti burst (with aoe and single target taunts that reduce player damage) support while maintaining aoe snares constantly while throwing our stuns around to peel other melee off our healers/ranged. As long as you don't expect to be leading the damage charts (I only once reached 200k damage as Immortal spec-it's far more common to be in the low...low 100ks, and that was in a three man pre-made against some particularly bad Republic PUG-two of which were healers :p).

Near the end of beta, I was actually starting to appreciate our DPS tree. It's actually not bad at all. Outside of Huttball, I think it was actually the better way to go, though I only played Vengeance at 50 for a few days.

Edited by revial

I saw two Immortal-based builds work for high-level pvp during the beta. The first is Vengeance-focused with a bit in Immortal to beef up tankiness, while the second swaps that and trades some damage from Vengy to get the deeper Immortal stuff, giving you more control abilities and even more survivability. So it really comes down to being a tanky dps in Soresu form, or a tank-CC'er in Soresu form. Here are the two builds as I remember seeing them:

Tanky DPS (Veng-heavy):

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#101crhczZhGbMrhdzMM.1

Tanky CC (Immortal heavy):

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#101frhfzr0kzMZhGb0r.1

The first one basically focuses on sitting in Soresu and using the supporting stuff from Vengy to put out some good burst damage with an Impale/Scream/Smash combo. You're still pretty tanky, thanks to a 26% native defense in Soresu, and of course you'll have guard on a target to help make them tankier as well. The pvp-focused Vengy talents buff up your tankiness as well, since you can Intercede an ally both to get out of a bad situation and reduce incoming damage on both of you by 20%. Unstoppable, Pooled Hatred, and Unyielding are just icing on the cake.

The second one focuses more on resilience and control. You've got 30s off of your CC-break skill, your Smashes reduce accuracy for a decent period of time, and you get the 1-2-3 punch of a Backhand stun + unchanneled Choke + Force Leap/Crash for a total of 9 straight seconds of stun on a single target if you blow everything at once. Some of the points in this build are malleable; you can opt for Ravager in the Rage tree if you want the lower Choke CD, or pick up Ruin in Vengeance for the free Smash. Four points are free to be tossed around, so experiment and find out what works for you.

Also, as a side note, I don't understand why people can say there's no choice in the talent trees yet. Maybe for other classes that's true, but for Jug I can come up with some amazing hybrid builds just as easily as I can come up with 31-pt based builds, and they all look like they have their strengths.

Edited by LexiCazam
Rude - quote

So it really comes down to being a tanky dps in Soresu form, or a tank-CC'er in Soresu form. Here are the two builds as I remember seeing them:

Tanky DPS (Veng-heavy):

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#101crhczZhGbMrhdzMM.1

Tanky CC (Immortal heavy):

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#101frhfzr0kzMZhGb0r.1

The first one basically focuses on sitting in Soresu and using the supporting stuff from Vengy to put out some good burst damage with an Impale/Scream/Smash combo. You're still pretty tanky, thanks to a 26% native defense in Soresu, and of course you'll have guard on a target to help make them tankier as well. The pvp-focused Vengy talents buff up your tankiness as well, since you can Intercede an ally both to get out of a bad situation and reduce incoming damage on both of you by 20%. Unstoppable, Pooled Hatred, and Unyielding are just icing on the cake.

The second one focuses more on resilience and control. You've got 30s off of your CC-break skill, your Smashes reduce accuracy for a decent period of time, and you get the 1-2-3 punch of a Backhand stun + unchanneled Choke + Force Leap/Crash for a total of 9 straight seconds of stun on a single target if you blow everything at once. Some of the points in this build are malleable; you can opt for Ravager in the Rage tree if you want the lower Choke CD, or pick up Ruin in Vengeance for the free Smash. Four points are free to be tossed around, so experiment and find out what works for you.

Also, as a side note, I don't understand why people can say there's no choice in the talent trees yet. Maybe for other classes that's true, but for Jug I can come up with some amazing hybrid builds just as easily as I can come up with 31-pt based builds, and they all look like they have their strengths.

Great info here and thanks for the links to the calculator - even further laying it all out for us. I was curious about some real viable hybrids that would let Immortals be solid competition for PvP as well as PvE.

Great info here and thanks for the links to the calculator - even further laying it all out for us. I was curious about some real viable hybrids that would let Immortals be solid competition for PvP as well as PvE.

No prob! Glad I could help. Makes me feel like I'm playing the game almost while I wait for my e-mail to come :(

But more to the point, I've screwed around with the talent calculator and the Jug (and Guardian) trees surprises me with the hybridity you can have. Like, take this for instance:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#101cMZfGMR0uddZGd0Mz.1

Vengy dps with Obliterate from the Rage tree, designed for end-game operations. Basically, Shien form refunds one rage on each attack, and you'll be picking up rage each time you're hit by an attack, be it single target or aoe. You have a talented no-cost Smash and Scream thanks to the synergy of Battle Cry and Obliterate. That's two of your primary attacks for free, meaning all you would realistically spend rage on is Impale and Obliterate. That leaves a LOT of rage for Vicious Slash, which becomes your main rage dump thanks to the fact that you'll likely be swimming in rage. Done right, I could see using Sundering Assault every time it's up, and your regular Assault maybe once every 6 or 7 GCD's, giving you a lot more room to focus on higher-damage abilities.

No idea how viable it will be. It depends, of course, on how good Shatter is. But even if it's amazing, is it amazing enough to counteract the power of Obliterate + a free Scream? And would the proc chance on refreshing Ravage make up for that much extra damage? That remains to be scene, but on paper at least I'm excited that this could be another viable way of doing pve DPS that could be adapted to pvp with a few changes.