Why do DoT spec parse higher ?

LudhaninRolgge

it is most definitely by design. if a burst spec with massive crits and easier target swapping could pull just as much as the sustained spec...why roll sustained?

Because you like the playstyle ? I mean, I don't like DoT, too much management and prefer burst. But I feel kinda left aside because every spec I play in behind the DoT one.

If overall DPS over 5-10 mins was the same for both specs, the DoT would be completely obsolete since burst can kill adds faster anyway and are good at burn phases for bosses. DoT builds up momentum and keeps going steady, burst blows its load quickly and then has to recover. All is good. Edited by Iffyluse

If overall DPS over 5-10 mins was the same for both specs, the DoT would be completely obsolete since burst can kill adds faster anyway and are good at burn phases for bosses. DoT builds up momentum and keeps going steady, burst blows its load quickly and then has to recover. All is good.

Yes, but melee DoT spec are better on boss fights where you need to move. As a melee burst spec, once you have to move, you don't do any damage at all, but melee DoT spec do a little more of damage. It's not that much you're gonna say, but the little thing adds up.

And if we follow your logic, Balance/Madness should parse higher than Telekinetic/Lightning.

Yes, but melee DoT spec are better on boss fights where you need to move. As a melee burst spec, once you have to move, you don't do any damage at all, but melee DoT spec do a little more of damage. It's not that much you're gonna say, but the little thing adds up.

And if we follow your logic, Balance/Madness should parse higher than Telekinetic/Lightning.

While it currently doesn't, Balance/Madness should parse higher than TK/Lightning.

If you remember back in patch 2.8, Bioware specifically did a bunch of changes to balance/madness sages/sorcs because they considered it to be underperforming. And at the time, it was doing the exact same numbers as (if not slightly more than) TK/Lightning.

And I wouldn't say melee DoT specs are better on fights where you need to move.

Lets look at the melee dot specs, and the melee burst specs.

PLASMATECH VS TACTICS

Plasmatech is the DoT spec, and on average does better than tactics (though only slightly, and tactics has more surge boosts so a lucky parse is gonna do better than a lucky plasma parse)

Tactics is 100% mobile, ~95% of its damage is 10m+ (you can drop stockstrike with minimal penalties)

Plasmatech is 70% mobile, ~83% of its damage is 10m+ (dropping shockstrike loses a massive hit, and also the High Impact Bolt auto-crit and the 2-piece set bonus)

RUFFIAN VS SCRAPPER

Ruffian is the DoT spec, though it does worse than scrapper. This is reasonable though, as Ruffian is more of a close-combat spec (like AP/Tactics) and less of a melee spec. That and Scrapper is forced to be behind the target for every 8th attack.

Ruffian is 100% mobile, ~50% of its damage is 10m+ (though dropping Blaster Whip + Point Blank Shot does lose a ton of damage, it can be worked around with the Tendon Blast = Upper Hand utility)

Concealment is 100% mobile, ~20% of its damage is 10m+, and 1/8th of its GCDs need to be behind the target.

INFILTRATION VS SERENITY

While I dont really play a shadow at all, I have picked up on the fact that this whole AC was ruined for PvE because its overpowered as hell in PvP. As such, Serenity/Hatred was taken down from its "Better than Infiltration/Deception" slot.

Infiltration is 100% mobile, ~35% of its damage is 10m+, and every 7th attack (on average) has to be behind the target

Serenity is 100% mobile, ~50% of its damage is 10m+

VIGILANCE VS FOCUS

Vigilance wins in literally every slot. Except mobility. It has a shorter cooldown on the channeled attacks, and less attacks at range/gap closers. Its also the DoT spec

Vigilance is 75% mobile, ~20% of its damage is 10m+

Focus is 89% mobile, and ~50% of its damage is 10m+

WATCHMAN VS CONCENTRATION VS COMBAT

I still have no clue of the watchman rotation, and I probably wont until patch 4.0, so instead I'll be going off the second top Watchman/Annihilation parse (sorry El'ethon, still dont speak german sentinel) for how often stuff is used/damage contributions

Watchman is 89% mobile, and ~25% of its damage is 10m+

Combat is 92% mobile, and ~40% of its damage is 10m+

Concentration is 89% mobile, and ~50% of its damage is 10m+

You'll notice that with only a couple of exceptions (which come at the cost of damage), the burst specs are actually the more mobile ones, and have better uptime on their abilities (as they have more range).

To sum it up:

DoT specs have build up time and are at a sever disadvantage when having to deal with frequent target swaps.

Burst specs have close to 0 buildup time but have to recover after a burst, so are at a sever disadvantage (or should be) without burst phases or frequent target swaps.

So yes, it's by design, to make sure each dicipline has fights its shines and fights it does not shine at all.

Oh and the sage/sorc example is just bad game balancing and should've been solved months ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Dots specs in every game have always been highest dps. in fights you have to dance you have to run you have to move, you arent dpsing when you do all this, however youre dots never stop running if youre doing it right.

As such you always have higher dps with dots.

burst is a pvp thing.

Edited by deserttfoxx

People have summed it up nicely, but I would add that the dot specs tend to be more complex to execute while burst specs are usually very straight forward. Arsenal spec versus IO for mercenaries comes to mind. The more difficult rotations should reward the player with dealing more damage by design.

Go say that to the underlurker's adds.

And following this logic, melee should parse higher than ranged

That's also more-or-less true. The worst of the worst DPS are ranged burst classes, and their DoT specs are either bad (madness), difficult(virulance), clunky(engeneering) or REALLY bad on swaps or any rotation deviations(IO). But, as you may have noticed, DPS balance is a huge cluster**** at the moment, so most of melee still manage to fall behind in DoT department.