Hardest class to play.

Neptune

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Bounty Hunter and a Marauder. I can definitely tell you my Marauder is harder to play by a ton. I'm pretty good with my Marauder as well. I get joy from both classes in their own way. Like for instance if I want to pvp and easiliy rack up more damage/kills, I play my Bounty Hunter - this is easy mode warzone play. But if I want a challenge and run the Hutt Ball, put single target pressure I play my Marauder. Edited by bigfishcjp

It depends on what part of the game your referring to. In pvp Knights/Warriors are hard at early levels and even at higher cause you need to stay within melee range were as all other classes can hit you at rage all day and CC you so you can't hit them while they continue to hit you. In pve they are not all that hard to play as long as you watch your cool downs and rage/focus cause typically mobs don't run away from you. the only thing that would make another class harder in pvp to play would be a healing class if played as a healing class cause the Raid frames are currently broken and there are no macro's to assist in targeting.

• 2 weeks later...
not trying to start an arguement, but what's so hard about marauders? agents/smugglers seem to me as the only classes that require thought in combat besides knowing what to attack and who needs a heal

I have a L21 Marauder and L29 BH merc.

I find Marauder harder to play because:

1) Bad UI. Keeping track of how many rage i have plus animation delays, it can get pretty bad. Also, when you trigger a skill and you dont have enough rage, there is no audio feedback such as "Not enough rage (like in wow)". Also, dodge/block animations seems to cancel active skills, which I found very annoying. No event based indicator that tells a conditional skill is usable. You have to keep an eye on the action bar.

2) Too Squishy. It does feel a bit weak (at least at low levels).

But mainly UI. UI is not polished enough, it's not flexible enough. Icons are small, when global cooldown is active, t does not show which abilities can be activated, icons look similar to each other and more. And top of this, I do think there are few bugs here and there. For example, I had instances where I enter into berserker mode after spending 30 rage, and find out that the buff is gone after 1 sec. Also, telling whether your chracter is still in berserker mode is confusing.

Definitely, game is not as responsive as WoW. I had multiple instance where I thought and saw the animation of a channeled skill was finished executing and activated a new skill to find out that due to early activation, my previous channeled skill didnt deliver the last blow.

For example, ravage is a 3 second channel where at the end of it duration delivers a blow with two light sabers. I see the animation of the final blow to go off and hear the sound on a target with minimal health, so switch target and activate a new skill to find out the previous target didnt die because ravage was cancelled...

lmao i was under the impression smuggler/IA was "hardest". i dont see how marauder/sentinel can be hard at all, even my wife who has no video game experience made a marauder and found it insanely easy to master. On the other hand she made a smuggler and quit by lvl 7 saying she doesnt understand the combat mechanics.

and i agree with her, marauder is simple. especially in pvp IA/smuggler requires a lot more focus than other facerolling classes.

Marauders / Sentinels, no contest.

I'm a 17 Sentinel and I agree... so far anyway. So many buttons to push. My Bounty Hunter simply pushes 1 button every 2-3 pulls, Death from Above, all dead. And 1 of those in between pulls is Fusion Missile + Explosive Dart + Mop up.

No such I-Win Buttons for my Sentinel. I don't think I care though.

lmao i was under the impression smuggler/IA was "hardest". i dont see how marauder/sentinel can be hard at all, even my wife who has no video game experience made a marauder and found it insanely easy to master. On the other hand she made a smuggler and quit by lvl 7 saying she doesnt understand the combat mechanics.

and i agree with her, marauder is simple. especially in pvp IA/smuggler requires a lot more focus than other facerolling classes.

Well, unless your wife is different from my girlfriend (or you just don't like getting anyway, lol) you're probably grouped with your wife quite a bit. Being grouped makes a lot of a Sentinel/Marauders weakness go away.

I'm a level 20 sentinel and there is quite a bit to keep track of. With this said, I think that once you're comfortable with all your abilities it really isn't that tough. Besides Master Strike which is a 3 second channel that you can't move or press other buttons during, everything is pretty straight forward. Feels pretty similar to a combat rogue or fury warrior from WoW.

There are a lot of cooldowns but a lot of your abilities are situational (decrease healing to target, slow target). If you are just DPS'ing, your rotation is pretty standard.

I actually made this guy just because I thought he looked ****** and was planning on making a toon with a bit more utility but I might see how this guy plays out.

My Jugg is a bit of a pain to play at 50, mostly because he has so many abilities to keep track of. I've got 3 hot bars on the screen and hotkeyed, and I still had to leave a few abilities off.

This mostly stems from absolutely nothing on Jugg (and perhaps Mara) actually replacing any other ability, just being another situational skill. Leaves Jugg with only a lose 'rotation', and more like a priority system of what to mash, making it hard to zone out.

Also, as mentioned above for marauder,, you have to have your face buried in the hotkey bar to keep track of your rage, as unlike the other classes, it isn't something you worry about only as it's getting low, it's constantly going up and down.

Additionally, and while I think it's a bug, parry/dodge makes some (but not all) of my attacks decide to not fire, though often still consume my GCD, meaning I have to watch the bar to make sure my stuff actually fired, as even the on screen animation isn't certain.

Also, having to make sure I'm near the mobs, and that any important mob is on me, while I also need to keep my head buried in the hotkeys, as mentioned above, makes me work more than I have in any other MMO.

Dunno if all the classes have these issues, but it does make Juggy seem a bit more intensive to play.

I think the problem here lies in the diffrent playstyles of some of these classes.

Most people are looking for "whoever kills the fastest with the least button pushes" and then try to play a class like a marauder and cant figure out why solo pve and pvp is so...diffrent.

Marauder isnt a new type of class or role by any means. Its the standard issue beserker. This class trades off the line burst dps in turn for long fight sustained dps. Once the marauder builds up to get his "rotation" going and his procs built, theres no slowing it down as its attacks replenish its ability to use special skills and attacks.

My guess is that once people start parsing raid bosses, your going to see the benefits of this class. While those high burst range DPS are running out of energy the marauders will be dishing out the same dps the entire duration of the fight with no down time.

For solo pve and "solo" pvp (as most people play it it seems) this type of role is weak, as people run and you die, losing the built rage and benefits, as well as proc stacks ect. in a group for pve i can see their charges being very usefull

Ive exceeded the typical attention span so heres the standard issue TLDR: Not harder, excels in diffrent applications * diffrent meaning not solo pve and pvp.

It depends what you mean by 'hardest'.

In terms of resource management I'd say that Sawbones Scoundrel is probably the most difficult since you're essentially watching two resource 'bars' (energy AND upper hand) to get your heals off...and its probably requires the lowest of margin of error compared to other healing classes.

In terms of solo-ability I've found the Sniper to be a nightmare at times - not only because you're so cover-dependent, but also because your first tank companion becomes increasingly useless as the levels goes on, making almost every fight literally a fight for survival...sure it keeps things interesting but its mostly down to imbalances if anything.

Depends heavily on the spec of the class as well.

I enjoy my Pyrotech Powertech but damn was there a learning curve for PvP...your primary source of damage, Rail Shot, is essentially proc based. Trying to micromanage heat (Pyrotech being the least heat-friendly of all 3 specs by far), ability CDs, CD-refresher procs, and DoTs on the target can be complicated enough in PvE.

Trying to do all that in PvP means also reacting to your opponent, throwing taunts on as many of the opposing team as possible, and managing your CC abilities carefully. Playing Pyrotech in PvP definitely took some getting used to...

That being said I also played a marauder up to 30 in the beta weekends and that was kinda hairy too. But only because they're so much squishier and have to worry about that as well, imho.

Depends heavily on the spec of the class as well.

I enjoy my Pyrotech Powertech but damn was there a learning curve for PvP...your primary source of damage, Rail Shot, is essentially proc based. Trying to micromanage heat (Pyrotech being the least heat-friendly of all 3 specs by far), ability CDs, CD-refresher procs, and DoTs on the target can be complicated enough in PvE.

Trying to do all that in PvP means also reacting to your opponent, throwing taunts on as many of the opposing team as possible, and managing your CC abilities carefully. Playing Pyrotech in PvP definitely took some getting used to...

That being said I also played a marauder up to 30 in the beta weekends and that was kinda hairy too. But only because they're so much squishier and have to worry about that as well, imho.

But doesn't pyrotech get a skill that applies a dot outright, and a talent that makes flame burst auto-apply burn? It's not really proc-based when you can guarantee the necessary effect is in place every time it's off CD. (Shield tech does this easily with Rocket Punch, for instance)

That said, for the imperial side I'd say IA or SW for sure, since they have the most difficult skill sets to manage. IA needs to worry about cover (That said, sniper only needs to move a lot in pvp...), while Warriors have to build up rage to do anything.

All told, I'd go with SW in general, just because of the rage mechanic. All the other classes can rest up between fights and then unload like crazy. Warriors reset to basic attacks only when they rest... (Though on my marauder at least I can get to a high rage count easily with charge>battering).

Also, spec matters a ton here. They can play VERY differently.

Edited by Randomness

i think marauder/sentinel, not to toot my own horn but all i've seen are really good and really bad marauder players, and i'd like to think i'm one of the good ones. i think marauder is a pretty awesome class, though it obviously has clear pros and cons. one of the biggest problems is cooldowns and procs. Mara really makes me think of my WoW character, a Frost death knight - the most important thing is managing your cooldowns resource and procs for insta-crits and the like. but this is severely hampered by the UI. right now i have two procs, execute and blood frenzy. if i want to know when to use them, i actually have to look at the tiny tiny icons above my health, instead of a skill 'lighting up'. not only that, but after checking all the skills i get by lvl 50, i actually need more keybinds than the 2 bars in the center. Edited by DarthBoga