Healing amount?

Tkard

Hello! I have geared my Commando healer in 216-224 gear and I can heal my whole group for around 8k, and a solo target for 5.5k. Recently, I have leveled my Operative to lv 50 and went to Karaggas Palace. I discovered that I had a HPS of around 6k, which seems quite close to my fairly well geared Commando. Am I doing any big mistakes in my healing? And how good/bad are the numbers? How much HPS I need for nightmare?

Thanks

Parse

Hello! I have geared my Commando healer in 216-224 gear and I can heal my whole group for around 8k, and a solo target for 5.5k. Recently, I have leveled my Operative to lv 50 and went to Karaggas Palace. I discovered that I had a HPS of around 6k, which seems quite close to my fairly well geared Commando. Am I doing any big mistakes in my healing? And how good/bad are the numbers? How much HPS I need for nightmare?

Thanks

Parse

1. First of all, if no one dies, and your co-healer's back didn't hurt at the end of the raid, your numbers are fine (but there is always room for improvement!).

2. Remember that you get bolstered in SM ops, so even though your commando is better geared (and that 2k HPS difference definitely shows that) your level 50 scoundrel still has decent stats and able to put up decent numbers.

3. HPS is not a great indicator of heals, it is better to look at EHPS (effective heals per second). HPS is just how much heals you potentially put out, whereas EHPS is how much of your heals actually did something. Who cares if you put out 10k HPS if you ignored the tank the entire time and only did like 1k EHPS.

4. Commandos are a "reactionary" healer in a lot of respects, especially with how trauma probe work (as in the heal on damage taken) so they don't end up with a lot of overhealing (so their HPS and EHPS will probably be very similar numbers). Scoundrels are more of a "prepatory" healer (from slow-release medpack and kolto infusion, you want to have those out and healing people prior to the big spikes) so you will have a lot of overhealing going out (so HPS numbers will be much higher than EHPS). Sages are more "preventative" healers, so a lot of their heals come from absorb from their bubbles (just saying this for completions sake lol)

Just as an example, running Revan HM last night with a Operative and Merc healer (finally killed him! though we didn't have both healers in parse when we did :p) But on most attempts it was basically both healers were around 5.5k EHPS, but the Merc was around 6k HPS and the Operative was around 8k HPS.

As far as how much heals you need for NiM, it really depends on the fight, but the numbers I've seen bandied around are usually 6k+ EHPS, going up to 7.5k during some burst heal phases.

Edit: I did notice that looking at your parse it seems you use trauma probe very rarely. You should make sure to apply this to everyone at the start of the fight, and whenever there is a lull in the fighting. There is a really good guide here: http://dulfy.net/2015/11/09/swtor-4-0-mercenary-pve-healing-guide-by-nenimel/ It is for Mercenary, so you will have to translate the moves to the pub side, but the strategies are very useful.

Edited by LordTurin

1. First of all, if no one dies, and your co-healer's back didn't hurt at the end of the raid, your numbers are fine (but there is always room for improvement!).

2. Remember that you get bolstered in SM ops, so even though your commando is better geared (and that 2k HPS difference definitely shows that) your level 50 scoundrel still has decent stats and able to put up decent numbers.

3. HPS is not a great indicator of heals, it is better to look at EHPS (effective heals per second). HPS is just how much heals you potentially put out, whereas EHPS is how much of your heals actually did something. Who cares if you put out 10k HPS if you ignored the tank the entire time and only did like 1k EHPS.

4. Commandos are a "reactionary" healer in a lot of respects, especially with how trauma probe work (as in the heal on damage taken) so they don't end up with a lot of overhealing (so their HPS and EHPS will probably be very similar numbers). Scoundrels are more of a "prepatory" healer (from slow-release medpack and kolto infusion, you want to have those out and healing people prior to the big spikes) so you will have a lot of overhealing going out (so HPS numbers will be much higher than EHPS). Sages are more "preventative" healers, so a lot of their heals come from absorb from their bubbles (just saying this for completions sake lol)

Just as an example, running Revan HM last night with a Operative and Merc healer (finally killed him! though we didn't have both healers in parse when we did :p) But on most attempts it was basically both healers were around 5.5k EHPS, but the Merc was around 6k HPS and the Operative was around 8k HPS.

As far as how much heals you need for NiM, it really depends on the fight, but the numbers I've seen bandied around are usually 6k+ EHPS, going up to 7.5k during some burst heal phases.

Edit: I did notice that looking at your parse it seems you use trauma probe very rarely. You should make sure to apply this to everyone at the start of the fight, and whenever there is a lull in the fighting. There is a really good guide here: http://dulfy.net/2015/11/09/swtor-4-0-mercenary-pve-healing-guide-by-nenimel/ It is for Mercenary, so you will have to translate the moves to the pub side, but the strategies are very useful.

Ok thank you. I do overheal alot just to see how much I can potentially heal, but sadly the group does not take that much damage.

The problem with the trauma probes is that all 7 together do less healing than a single normal probe and it does not seem very beneficial to use them instead of the regular heals. Are they just for the times when everyone is at 100% life?

Ok thank you. I do overheal alot just to see how much I can potentially heal, but sadly the group does not take that much damage.

The problem with the trauma probes is that all 7 together do less healing than a single normal probe and it does not seem very beneficial to use them instead of the regular heals. Are they just for the times when everyone is at 100% life?

Fair enough, I do that on my operative all the time. 10k HPS ftw!

So I can't claim to be an expert at commando healing (only class I don't heal on) so you should probably read the guide I linked, but the answer is (as just about everything with healers) "it depends".

It depends on what the current situation of the fight is. If everyone is at 100%, and you don't need to dps the boss, then yes, refreshing kolto shells is a good idea (you should certainly not be using other healing abilities on someone at 100% lol). Also, looking at your parse, from the Anhilation droid, it seems like every trauma probe (since you only put it out in the begining) heals for a total of about 16k after all 7 are done. That seems like a lot for there to be other heals that will do more healing.

Also, depends on what else is going on. Lets say you have 3 people who are at 80% and a lull in the fight starts. You were just about to put a probe on them to heal them up, but you see they have 2 brand new slow-release medpacks on them. There would be no point to heal them in that case, instead you should put a kolto shell on them, as the slow release medpacks can easily get them to 100%, and you've got something that'll kick in next time the fighting starts.

• 1 month later...

Hey Tkard,

you should definitely be using your Trauma Probes more frequently. TP is your 2nd best single target heal, right behind an instant proc'd Advanced Medical Probe. In addition, it is your most ammo efficient heal for 1-3 targets unless you have supercharge going. See my ability ranking chart: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByStipz9mZalVERtazd6NDgxM2c/view

Check out the guide linked in my signature if you want more details on how to optimize your ability usage.

Edited by AgathonBSG