Tokyo Drifting while Gunship Sniping

Movin_Target

Not sure if bug or intended but...

I've noticed that some combination of strafing + entering railgun scope will allow you to move (slowly) while sniping. I have played a fair amount of games as the gunship (100+) and occasionally find myself drifting unintentionally. My PTT is set to shift+mouse button, and while speaking i occasionally hit one of WASD with shift pressed (set to strafe by default).

I assume the strafe is unlike the usual WASD controls, because even with engines killed (via X or right-click railgun) I continue to drift in whatever direction I accidentally started strafing. This makes sniping interesting, especially in tight spaces. At one point I managed to self-destruct while in railgun-sniping mode, which came as a pretty hilarious surprise.

As far as fixing the "stuck strafing" situation, strafing in the opposite direction can eventually bring you to a stop, but the only reliable way of coming to a complete stop is to respawn. It makes it difficult to dogfight, snipe, or even just cap an objective when your ship is translating at some odd angle, in addition to flying forward if the engines are on.

Has anyone else experienced this with strafe? Am I going crazy?

It's not just on gunships. I stop under nodes sometimes in my scout and strafe to hit people that fly in circles around them while stopped. A lot of the time if I accidentally hit a movement key while also strafing I will be stuck strafing while I move, even if I release the keys. Strafing in the direction I'm moving usually (but not always) fixes the problem, but...

Yeah. Sounds like a bug to me.

Could also be latency, where your client thinks you are moving, but the server see's you as standing perfectly still.

One way to check this is to get another player to watch your ship when you try this, and see if you actually do move, and if so, by how much.

Edited by renegadeimp

This sounds suspiciously similar to the portal bug in the ground game. If you are running forward when entering a portal for Dread fortress or palace you keep moving forward until you push it again, if you were strafing to the side you keep doing that or end up running in a circle until you repress the button you had pressed while entering a portal.

This sounds similar if you start moving while strafing etc, I bet if they ever fixed the ground one it would also fix the starfighter issue, of course they have had at least 10 patches to fix the ground one and haven't yet, so good luck getting this fixed.