Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

Our internationally (in)famous mayor recently introduced the wider population to a new one: bumbaclot.

Let's see how that one fares. :rolleyes:

I have no idea what that's even supposed to mean but it sounds hilarious.

Plus if it's not censored in the Us it might as well not exist as a word :p

It means you're talking to a Torontonian referring to the latest Mayor Rob Ford video that Rob Ford wishes someone would light on fire for him lol. And the word "bumbaclot" is a Jamaican Patois swear word.

The US won't censor Rob Ford as I think the US finds Rob Ford hilarious.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding of ancient Greek and Roman culture, as well as the ANE, is that it really depended on who was in charge as well as who the deities of the time were. For example, in Canaanite culture worship of the gods Baal and Ashera involved both ritual ****- and heterosexual sex because they were both fertility gods. I believe one of the Roman Emperors was homosexual, unfortunately he was also a pedophile, so he'd be a poor example.

To modern understanding a lot of accepted Homosexuality in ancient Rome would likely border on pedophilia, due to the fact that if you liked bottoming as an adult - and adulthood came earlier those days - you were what people nowadays call a sissy -aka no real man.

And given that calling your political opponent effeminate and meaning weak-willed and not trustworthy with it, was a quite popular insult then (and is still today, if you are the governator in opposition to the girly men), having an adult male same sex lover without being obviously and exclusively the pitcher, could dent your social standing somewhat.

I have no idea what that's even supposed to mean but it sounds hilarious.

Plus if it's not censored in the Us it might as well not exist as a word :p

I'm not sure what *that* is supposed to mean....

Are you saying that [Americans believe that] only things that offend Americans are offensive (and thus should be censored), or that Americans are so prudish that they censor everything, ergo, if it is isn't censored in America, it isn't anything?

:p

I'm not sure what *that* is supposed to mean....

Are you saying that [Americans believe that] only things that offend Americans are offensive (and thus should be censored), or that Americans are so prudish that they censor everything, ergo, if it is isn't censored in America, it isn't anything?

:p

First one, ish. Only things Americans (USians) know in their day-to-day are censored. It's why you can use a British racial epithet (starts with n, rhymes with eggnog) on these forums with impunity. The word doesn't exist in the US, even if over here it's pretty much the same as the ubiquitous 'n'word. (Generally used by older generations.)

You yell 'minge' or 'bollocks' in a professional environment, you're going to suffer consequences. On these forums, the US moderators go "aww, cute, Britishisms!"

I mean, *** is censored but arse isn't. Come on.

You yell 'minge' or 'bollocks' in a professional environment, you're going to suffer consequences. On these forums, the US moderators go "aww, cute, Britishisms!"

I mean, *** is censored but arse isn't. Come on.

TBH, I don't know that I'd call software that replaces certain character strings with asterisks as a Moderator. I would guess that which terms gets asterisked and which don't are determined before the post gets displayed to any viewer, and thus (if reported) to an actual human moderator (U.S. or otherwise).

Also, I prefer a liberal moderation policy -- I like it when people describe as colorfully as possible exactly who they are. :)

(FYI, I frequently use asterisks when I'm typing to indicate where I'd like to use a 'questionable' word, but choose not to do so, and it annoys me that it gets presented to viewers the same as if I actually used the word. Also, software not very good at distinguishing use v. mention.)

TBH, I don't know that I'd call software that replaces certain character strings with asterisks as a Moderator. I would guess that which terms gets asterisked and which don't are determined before the post gets displayed to any viewer, and thus (if reported) to an actual human moderator (U.S. or otherwise).

Also, I prefer a liberal moderation policy -- I like it when people describe as colorfully as possible exactly who they are. :)

(FYI, I frequently use asterisks when I'm typing to indicate where I'd like to use a 'questionable' word, but choose not to do so, and it annoys me that it gets presented to viewers the same as if I actually used the word. Also, software not very good at distinguishing use v. mention.)

I'm sure they can add new words to the filter.

Also, per the asterisks, the GW2 official forums had a word replace: kittens.

Americans (USians) .

Lol, how do you pronounce USians? us-ee-enz? yew-ess-ee-enz? yewj-enz? ush-enz? And the country is the U.S.A., so USAsians would seem to be a better fit, and flow better (yew-ess-ajh-enz), but I'll leave the problems with that term as an exercise for the reader :) :)

Edited by eartharioch

I'm sure they can add new words to the filter.

Also, per the asterisks, the GW2 official forums had a word replace: kittens.

1) Adding new words to the delete filter is --good (or is that ++bad, lol)

2) I like the word-replace, but I think a solid block (that can be revealed by highlighting if you are <age of majority>+) would be better. Or something like REDACTED.

3) 'kitten' is a bad choice because one of its synonyms is a word that would get replaced by 'kitten'.

Optionally, people could just check out what the level of access (13+, 18+, whatever) and purpose of a forum is and just, stop being sacks of Germans. (sorry, been holding that one in for a while)

Lol, how do you pronounce USians? us-ee-enz? yew-ess-ee-enz? yewj-enz? ush-enz? And the country is the U.S.A., so USAsians would seem to be a better fit, and flow better (yew-ess-ajh-enz), but I'll leave the problems with that term as an exercise for the reader :) :)

U-s-e-en. Obviously.

USAsians just looks like, well, US Asians. It's weird that North America is a continent, but then US citizens are Americans... and then you've got Central and South America, and they're Central and South Americans, but only if you don't refer to their country of origin. But Canadians aren't American. Or North American. They're Canadian.

I m starting to hit incoherent-tired. Or maybe that's dehydration.

1) Adding new words to the delete filter is --good (or is that ++bad, lol)

2) I like the word-replace, but I think a solid block (that can be revealed by highlighting if you are <age of majority>+) would be better. Or something like REDACTED.

3) 'kitten' is a bad choice because one of its synonyms is a word that would get replaced by 'kitten'.

Optionally, people could just check out what the level of access (13+, 18+, whatever) and purpose of a forum is and just, stop being sacks of Germans. (sorry, been holding that one in for a while)

Yeah but, what's the likelihood that people will abuse the ability to swear? Or do something moronic, like let their six year old into the 18+ board and then cry at Bioware? Probably one of the many reasons why there's a filter for the forums.

Muppets. That's how you pronounce it. :p

First one, ish. Only things Americans (USians) know in their day-to-day are censored. It's why you can use a British racial epithet (starts with n, rhymes with eggnog) on these forums with impunity. The word doesn't exist in the US, even if over here it's pretty much the same as the ubiquitous 'n'word. (Generally used by older generations.

Next you're going to tell me that Porch Monkey is a racial slur...

(Sorry, I was looking up something else yesterday and ran across that scene...but your word is around 1:36 into the scene.)

I guess the in game same-sex romances was something that Mass Effect started that spills over into other games.

With introducing this you would need to keep in mind the players that are not pro-gay.

Personally i don't want to see it and hopefully can make changes that can make your character exempt from having same gender players from flirting with you.

With the same gender romance options on the Makeb story line. I just don't bother with it.

Yes some people are gay, bought what us more important is that in game they can keep me alive in raids or keep mobs off me.

The thing is you're running the risk of this snowballing into something else.

Instead of having fun with an MMO creating your own saga and enjoying the Star Wars fantasy.

There will be more same-sex romance options that will simply put some players off.

So whatever Bioware plans to do please keep it an individual option for characters and not something that would effect others online.

Like getting snowballed in Life Day Event or Infected during Rakghoul infestation.

I guess the in game same-sex romances was something that Mass Effect started that spills over into other games.

With introducing this you would need to keep in mind the players that are not pro-gay.

Personally i don't want to see it and hopefully can make changes that can make your character exempt from having same gender players from flirting with you.

With the same gender romance options on the Makeb story line. I just don't bother with it.

Yes some people are gay, bought what us more important is that in game they can keep me alive in raids or keep mobs off me.

Instead of having fun with an MMO creating your own saga and enjoying the Star Wars fantasy.

There will be more same-sex romance options that will simply put some players off.

So whatever Bioware plans to do please keep it an individual option for characters and not something that would effect others online.

Like getting snowballed in Life Day Event or Infected during Rakghoul infestation.

I honestly don't get your position as flirting, regardless the gender of the who flirts with your character, is not gonna kill you or your character and no body is making you click the [flirt] options. Never mind the fact that you don't seem to mind if an NPC of the other gender flirts with your toon.

If something as harmless as a [flirt] indicator is a game breaker for some then those some people I don't want to play alongside anyway as this game shouldn't havehave room for bigotry.

I don't think you realize how devastating it is to other people's gameplay experience when you choose a same gender flirt in your dialogue wheel. Even worse when the same gender flirt is in their own dialogue window and they're forced to take it. Edited by Lesaberisa

Wat?

Players can flirt with you whenever they damned well please, through text chat. Other people, you have to choose to flirt with, as ever (although Tharan I kind of had to swat away). I have no idea what you're even concerned about.

Wat?

Players can flirt with you whenever they damned well please, through text chat. Other people, you have to choose to flirt with, as ever (although Tharan I kind of had to swat away). I have no idea what you're even concerned about.

I would like to think that Bioware staff check out their forums. even if it is just to see the views and opinions of the community on different topics.

My concerns are if Bioware would continue the same gender romance option in future content and expansions.

If they do implement these changes. Would it be left as an individual choice for players? or will these changes effect the entire Swtor community?

For example players can choose to pursue the SGR or just get on with the game.

Its good to have these discussion but for now would just have to take a wait and see approach.

I honestly don't get your position as flirting, regardless the gender of the who flirts with your character, is not gonna kill you or your character and no body is making you click the [flirt] options. Never mind the fact that you don't seem to mind if an NPC of the other gender flirts with your toon.

If something as harmless as a [flirt] indicator is a game breaker for some then those some people I don't want to play alongside anyway as this game shouldn't havehave room for bigotry.

At the risk of descending into an argument on the forums I will respond.

The emotes in game are a fun and entertaining feature.

But I think an issue may be that some mistake: not pro-gay + embrace/celebrate it = Homophobia or bigotry.

Is same gender flirting with my character a game breaker? No.

Just if Bioware will implement this in future content and expansions.

They should give players the option to be exempt from SGR features/content that they may implement.

I would like to think that Bioware staff check out their forums. even if it is just to see the views and opinions of the community on different topics.

My concerns are if Bioware would continue the same gender romance option in future content and expansions.

If they do implement these changes. Would it be left as an individual choice for players? or will these changes effect the entire Swtor community?

Its good to have these discussion but for now would just have to take a wait and see approach.

I'm still "wat"ing. They'd be exactly like every other romance option.

Why would they be any different from the ones we have now? You said earlier that it started with Mass Effect, correct? Well, to assume anything different from that model is illogical. Meaning that if we get same gender romanceable companions, there will be one or two flirts and then you turn them down or continue to pursue and then it will never come up again, like it is with current romanceable companons.

Edited by Jandi

They should give players the option to be exempt from SGR features/content that they may implement.

Yeah it's called "not choosing the [Flirt] option". You're asking for a toggle. It has been stated, time and again, that such a thing is not allowed. Would you like me to link to Mr. Musco's statement on anti-gay toggles? Would you like me to point out that discussing or advocating for anti-gay toggles is against the forum rules and could be taken as hate speech? Would like me to point out that your previous posts have been near incoherent, because you appear to have ignored literally everything about the current OGR and SGR options in the game?

Would you like me to point out what the word "option" means?

Yeah it's called "not choosing the [Flirt] option". You're asking for a toggle. It has been stated, time and again, that such a thing is not allowed. Would you like me to link to Mr. Musco's statement on anti-gay toggles? Would you like me to point out that discussing or advocating for anti-gay toggles is against the forum rules and could be taken as hate speech? Would like me to point out that your previous posts have been near incoherent, because you appear to have ignored literally everything about the current OGR and SGR options in the game?

Would you like me to point out what the word "option" means?

I think you should link it as these people fail to grasp the concept.

I think you should link it as these people fail to grasp the concept.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6019216#edit6019216

"As a gentle reminder: Discussion of the implementation of toggles to filter same gender romance options is considered discriminatory language and is neither appropriate nor allowed on the forums. Posts along this vein of discussion will be removed. "

Dun dun duh.