Nameplates and arrow lost after instance switch to join team

Plo_Coon

After I switch instances, because I joined a team in another instance, my nameplates and target arrow are gone. Some people do not experience the error if they reject the auto request and change manually. I however get the error either way. It is very hard to team without a targeting arrow.

I have had this problem since the first day back on Nov 2012. I have put in a ticket after every patch and it gets closed without comment. I have, deleted the game and reloaded it, repaired the game, updated drivers, .NET, and C++ .

After waiting 6 months, I am wondering how much longer I should wait for a fix or even <GASP> acknowledgement. I am not the only one with this error (search ont he forums). I know personally 3 people and on the forum several more.

Give me any answer. Here is multiple choice so as to not take up too much of your time. Select one that applies.

a) It is a bug but will never be fixed

b) It is not a bug and it's your problem

c) We have noted your request and have not yet determined if it is your problem or ours - please hold your breath and we will get back to you in the future

d) Due to the low number of players with this issue (it is a bug) we will never investigate nor acknowledge this bug in the known issues. Do not hold your breath as you will not get a fix in your lifetime. At least not while you continue to subscribe - after all - if you are willing to continue giving us money - why should we fix the issue?

Signed,

Ignored by CS

Edited by Plo_Coon

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That happens to me all the time, too.

Your best bet is to assume that it will never be fixed and then be pleasantly surprised if they finally do.

In the meantime, you can cheat the instance switch bug by leaving the planet and coming back since it will automatically put you in the same instance with the rest of your group.

bump to get CS attention.
1) Bumping threads is against the forum rules.

2) Not sure what you expect CS to do about it.

There's really nothing to do but submit a /bug report in-game and hope that someday they fix it.

Until then, you've been presented with several workarounds and will just have to live with it.

This is seriously the most annoying bug in the game right now, and it's been around for over half a year, without even the slightest acknowledgment that the Devs even know it exists. Could we please, please, por favor, sil vous plait, onegai shimasu, please at least have a "we're aware, and don't care", so I can stop wondering?

Ctrl+u+u fixes nameplate

Logging out is only fix I know for the arrow

Ctrl + U + U does not fix the nameplates for me. In fact, it makes it worse because it shows the nameplates as always having full health regardless of the players' actual healths, which is a nightmare for healing.

• 2 weeks later...
What I expect customer service to do is acknowledge the bug. That is all. It's been a serious bug for a year. They instantly fix minor superficial idiosyncracies in armor graphics...but basic game errors go completely unacknowledged. Its just stupid. Every person who pays for this game has a right to expect that a) the game work properly or b) bugs be identified with a prospective fix date. Then we as consumers can make an informed decision on whether to continue subscribing or not. As for 'bumps' being against the forum rules....too bad. If CS would properly interface with customers and give them SERVICE it wouldn't be required. BW apologists should go to a different forum. This is the one for people who have problems with the game. Edited by Plo_Coon
spelling

Logging out is only fix I know for the arrow

Exiting the game and returning fixes it, but in my experience if you quit or log out it drops party as well. You're just as likely to land on a different instance when you log back in.

I experience this intermittently. It seems to happen more often if I transfer with a companion, but dismissing them isn't a 100% workaround. The jump-to-ship-jump-back trick works the best for me, if I remember to not accept the transfer. Otherwise I have to kill the swtor processes (to avoid losing the group) and log back in.

• 4 weeks later...
So not only is this bug STILL NOT FIXED, after it's been more than six months, but now it's affecting me when I use the Group Finder to travel from a Planet to a Flashpoint! I've had to bail on two different FP teams tonight because of it. This is stupid, this is ridiculous. Why is this still NOT EVEN ACKNOWLEDGED by the development team? Edited by JLazarillo

This is indeed an incredibly annoying bug, and it has gotten worse since the most recent patch. It's not just on instance changing anymore, I've gotten it as the person above me said, from zoning into a flashpoint from group finder, but also from taking the transport from the fleet to Black Hole and Section X, zoning into the fleet from my ship, and using my priority transports. I had already simply stopped grouping up for any planet heroics because this bug was such a pain in the ***, if it's going to randomly affect me anytime I load a zone, I'm just going to stop playing, this is ridiculous.

I'm away from my main gaming computer at the moment but has it really gotten that bad?

This problem already rendered the game just short of unplayable when it popped up...if I get back to it in a couple of days and find I'm going to be hitting it often as not whenever I want to move between areas, then I'm done. Glad you posted this before I blew any more money on Cartel Coins, too.

I'm away from my main gaming computer at the moment but has it really gotten that bad?

This problem already rendered the game just short of unplayable when it popped up...if I get back to it in a couple of days and find I'm going to be hitting it often as not whenever I want to move between areas, then I'm done. Glad you posted this before I blew any more money on Cartel Coins, too.

It doesn't happen every single time I zone in, but before it was limited to just switching instances on the same planet. Now however, I've encountered it doing all those things; heading from Section X to my ship on my sage, from the fleet to the Black Hole on my sniper, using priority transport to my ship, also on my sniper, from my ship to the fleet on my merc, and using my emergency fleet pass on my vanguard. It appears to have a chance at happening whenever you hit a load screen.

This bug started happening to me nearly a month ago (been playing since pre-launch) and I have to say, this is the most annoying bug I had experienced in this game so far... Nothing works to fix it except logging out and in again.

Sometimes only the target cursor vanishes, sometimes the nameplate disappears too.

For the nameplate, the only workaround is to have it shown all the time on every enemy NPCs (which is ok but not a real solution). For the target, well I still have to find one...

This is something that needs a fix quickly as it really borks gameplay !

• 2 weeks later...
This bug has hit certain characters I have and not all of them. Some of my characters simply don't get the targeting arrow which is pretty important in bigger battles and some of them do. I've tried resetting all graphic settings and nothing helps. It's not completely game breaking like the abilities not firing off when you press them bug, but this is one notch under, it's very tough to see who to fight when there's a group of enemies(like in a warzone) and if you're a melee, it can really create problems.

Damn i have the same problem - no targeting arrow. It's only affecting one of my chars - the newest one and only in WZs so far, but it's really a pain to play especially as a healer :/

I''ve tried everything - from checking/unchecking options is menu (UI and everything else) to deleting swtor folder and retailclient_swtor.version but nothing works so far :/

Maybe not some groundbreaking bug, but quality of lif.... gaming i mean, is lower than it was before. Please fix this ;)

Edited by MasterBLASTERpl

• Dev Post

Hi folks,

There are actually two threads about this topic; I've posted a response in the other thread and have been watching this one. (They didn't seem like they'd merge well. :p )

Unfortunately, reproducing this issue internally has thus far been unsuccessful, so the ongoing investigation has been slow while we use your reports to narrow it down. We're aware of it, though!

After I switch instances, because I joined a team in another instance, my nameplates and target arrow are gone. Some people do not experience the error if they reject the auto request and change manually. I however get the error either way. It is very hard to team without a targeting arrow.

With your issue, Plo_Coon, does this happen to you ONLY when area transitioning to be with a group, or do you also see this when transitioning into content phases such as Warzones or Flashpoints? Yours is one of the only instances I've seen on the forums that's been reported very specifically and as happening 100% of the time, so I'm curious.

Also, for everyone, can you please let us know if a CTRL+U reset of the UI fixes this? We've had this happen to some of us when we're playing, and that's helped in most cases.

Finally, please keep in mind the following from our Bug Report Forum Guidelines

Often we will post in threads in this forum to gather additional information about something that is reported or to update the status of a particular issue. However, please note that while we will be reading every thread and report in this forum, we will not respond to every thread, and a developer response in a thread is not an indication of the significance, priority, severity of a bug, or a guarantee that the bug will be fixed.

A lack of direct response is not an indication that your issue isn't being worked on, nor is it an indication that we don't see or care about it.

Sometimes, it's just exceptionally difficult to nail something like this down, and even fixing some instances will not resolve it fully, and that can be frustrating for us too!

As an example, some of you may remember a bug that was quite persistent about this time last year where you could be "stuck dead" seemingly randomly. It would happen most frequently in Warzone spawn areas, but we saw anecdotal reports of it happening all over the Galaxy. We researched the topic internally and absolutely could not get it to happen to us, no matter what we tried. At the time we didn't have a bug report forum, but I would still see threads that were similar to this one. In this instance, someone was finally able to discover the main cause of the problem without being able to make it happen (which is difficult!), and we were able to get a huge bulk of the instances corrected with Game Update 1.2.4. We knew it wouldn't fix all instances, and we found another cause that we were able to correct in Game Update 1.3 a bit later. That's not to say that we haven't seen a report of it here and there since then. Nonetheless, it's now exceptionally rare, and if we are able to smoosh it out once and for all, we absolutely will.

TL;DR - We care, even if we don't post about an issue and/or it isn't fixed quickly.

:ph_thank_you:

Edited by AmberGreen

We care, even if we don't post about an issue and/or it isn't fixed quickly.

That said, a simple "we are working to solve this" will go a long way, and if you think that'd be "clogging the dev tracker" as was previously said, well thats just simply wrong. When Bioware acknowledges an ingame issue and alerts players that it is under investigation, that means a lot to players, especially those who check the dev tracker.

Thanks for the respon @AmberGreen.

In my case Ctrl + U + U command is not helping, even more it's causing next weird bug where arrow stays on previously selected character (few ppl observe similar glitch). I noticed two things - now cast bar is sometimes not appearing - it's looks like random thing and not often, but before this arrow-case i didn't have such problem.

And second, one of users in this second thread mention that for him this bug starts appeaing once he switched AA options in graphing menu on. And i did the same thing or at least it looks like - I switched AA on hight (before it was on 'off') and then i've started having this bug. Tho' switching it off didn't help.

You can get used to it, but after 1,5 year of playing with this targeting arrow it just feels somehow awkward not to have it.

Edited by MasterBLASTERpl

Hi guys.

I experienced the same issue in very specific circumstances which i was able to replicate. Just wondering if the OP may possibly share any similarities with this.

playing as an assassin (assuming sorc also affected) when my class quest was at a stage where i had to return to korriban/dromund kass OR travel to one of the non-planetary parts of my class quest such as the space stations or talking to someone on my ship.

If i took a warzone pop during this set of circumstances i would lose my targetting arrow in warzones only. returning to the world would restore the targetting. As soon as i progressed my class quest and went to a standard planet the issue was resolved.