GTN prices

LiesliaSau

Hello there!

I'm trying to understand ingame economy, and so far I've noticed many complains about items on GTN being overpriced. So, how can you tell which price is right? How much credits for decorations, for example, will suffice? :confused:

I was trying to compare with current prices on GTN when smth is needed to be sold, but still can't understand if those things are overpriced.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, just recently began to do some not-story-related activities.

Hello,

I normally sell materials on gtn, I put price to lower than item total each, for example: 100each material for 95k or so, they sell pretty fast hourly even, but some materials are rare to get so some people sell them more higher prices, I think "gtn players" mostly buying my materials to sell them more higher pricetag.

Some days ago I sold Statue of the Emperor (from the false emperor flashpoint in imperial side) for like 350k, took 3-4 hours to sell as far as I remember,

I normally sell materials on gtn, I put price to lower than item total each, for example: 100each material for 95k or so, they sell pretty fast hourly even, but some materials are rare to get so some people sell them more higher prices, I think "gtn players" mostly buying my materials to sell them more higher pricetag.

Oh. Thank you!

And do you buy anything on GTN? Were there prices you considered too hight? Is it pure personal opinion on each price?

Prices are mostly personal preference. If you sell something, you start by looking at other postings of the same item. If the lowest posted one seems acceptable to you, you just post yours and undercut the lowest by a bit. If it seems too low and you would like more money for this item, you could wait until all the cheapest postings are sold out (big IF though) OR, like, gtn players do with some items, you can invest into buying out most of the postings and then re-post them with a higher price.

When buying, it's the same. If it "feels" like an acceptable price, you will buy it, if it's not, you will wait for it to go down (and it will, usually. If items aren't getting sold, sellers will eventually lower their prices).

The problem right now is that there is a very high amount of credits possessed by a small percentage of population (just like in real world, hehe). Those players can afford the "high" prices you might see. For them they are not even high. That's why certain items stay at 100mil and above - there are players who buy them, so why lower the price?

For them they are not even high. That's why certain items stay at 100mil and above - there are players who buy them, so why lower the price?

But will they need this things? Will this small amount of people with credits buy all that 100mil lots? :confused: That's why i try to understand how GTN prices work.

Thank you very much! I think I get the main idea. :)

But will they need this things? Will this small amount of people with credits buy all that 100mil lots? :confused: That's why i try to understand how GTN prices work.

Thank you very much! I think I get the main idea. :)

Small amount? You must be joking. 100 mil is nothing in current in-game economy, 99% of players have billions in their storage.

Small amount? You must be joking. 100 mil is nothing in current in-game economy, 99% of players have billions in their storage.

I don't know, I'm only referring to this statement:

The problem right now is that there is a very high amount of credits possessed by a small percentage of population (just like in real world, hehe).

So I'm sorry if I get it wrong.

Hello there!

I'm trying to understand ingame economy, and so far I've noticed many complains about items on GTN being overpriced. So, how can you tell which price is right? How much credits for decorations, for example, will suffice? :confused:

I was trying to compare with current prices on GTN when smth is needed to be sold, but still can't understand if those things are overpriced.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, just recently began to do some not-story-related activities.

It takes time to learn the market, things ebb and flow in prices too. Take a few days watching prices, specific items, and you will start to recognize when items are rare or cheap at that particular time.

Buy things when they are rare and cheap then re-price them at higher prices to make a profit. It’s easily the best way to make credits along with crafting augs and other frequently used craft able items.

Also you can craft some cheap dyes for constant flow of credits, or cheap armor pieces that people like to use for their saved outfits/appearance slots.

There’s really tons of ways to make credits on this game, just as anything you will have to invest some time into figuring out what will sell and what does not, and what are cheap prices versus expensive.

If you're buying:

* If the price feels like it's low enough for you to want to pay it, then it's right for you, or at the very least it's not wrong.

* If you look at the price and think, "Ugh, not paying that," then it's wrong.

Nobody else but you can tell you if 100M credits is laughably low, OK, or terrifyingly high, *for*you*. If you don't like the look of a price, that's sufficient indication that it's probably too high for you.

But overall, there's no *absolute* standard of "right" and "wrong" prices. I value *this* more than *that*, while you can't even begin to imagine why anyone would want to buy *this*, but would pay all the credits you could hold plus half-a-dozen body parts for *that*. Which of us is right? Well, I'm right for me, and you're right for you.

Caveat: the most I've ever paid on the GTN for anything was 40 million, for the chest piece of the Satele Shan armour set.

The GTN only allows you to see the current supply data. You can't see the demand (no buy orders), and you don't get any data on historical transactions. This makes it a wildly ineffective tool for determining the "right" price.

The best you can really do is look at the current orders and price your order somewhere in the mix after taking the expiration times into account.

Along the lines of the above:

Any time you go to the GTN you are only seeing the listings of items that have not sold yet. There may have been several lower priced units that sold very quickly.

But you need to be there at the right time to get the bargains.

I've recently been clearing out some items I no longer want, to make room in my Legacy Storage. Just a few days ago I put about 25 complete armor sets and 4 or 5 partial sets (upper half/lower half) on the GTN for real bargain basement prices (compared to the other listings). They almost all sold the same day - of course, most of that may have been GTN speculators buying up the cheap stuff to re-sell later, but I don't care.

Today or tomorrow I'll be unloading another bunch of miscellaneous stuff cheap - I'm more interested in making room than making credits. (It's over one whole storage tab of stuff.)

Um, no - 100 mil is still a lot for most players. You know, the majority of players who only have an hour or so to play after the kids go to bed or whatever. (And who actually spend credits on things.)

Your outlook is skewed by the players like me who have lots of time to play, over many years, and lots of rl money to spend on loot boxes, much of whose contents then get sold on the GTN for credits. I've never had 1 billion credits - I've come close to 400 mill - although I might if I didn't spend any. But in my humble opinion, credits (play-money) are there to be spent - you really can't take it with ya - not even to a different game. (The most I've spent on the GTN was 130+ mill on a armor set.)

However, as someone who played GW for many years (and WoW and GW2 for some time) I can say that's it's normal for the prices of rare items to go up as the number of veteran, long term players goes up. It's kind of bad for new players who want all the shiny-shiny, but they just have to get them the hard way - through drops, or loot boxes, etc - like we once did.

Edited by JediQuaker

You might need to pull your head out of whereever it is ;) about 10% at the most have more than a billion, most of these are the players who spend real money on cartel stuff and sell it, or have spent a lot to get people to click their referal so they have thousands of cc's to waste. A smaller percentage of us, built up our credits over time, playing the gtn like a mini game. It can be hard at times, but fun too, especially if you can spot the patterns of what sells well. They are the only way to make billions, you can make a fair bit (Millions) just doing content, but it'll never reach the billions.

you really can't take it with ya - not even to a different game.

That made me chuckle, because it reminded me of a quest in the French MMORPG "Dofus".

Ankama, the developers, are located in the north of France, not actually far from my home, and they have a bunch of different games and other properties, and this quest was ... a little out of the ordinary...

You picked it up in Dofus, and to complete it, you had to go to a particular place in the world of Dofus, and leave an item there. You then installed *two* other games by Ankama, and in one, you went and picked up the item from a particular place, and took it somewhere else. You then loaded up Wakfu, the third of the games, and picked up the item *again* before eventually depositing a different item somewhere that would transport it back in time to Dofus (Dofus and Wakfu are set in the same world, with Dofus being a thousand years earlier in the timeline). Your character in Dofus then picked up the item and you could complete the quest.

It made more sense, I think, than my description, but it was, indeed, a single quest that crossed three games.

That made me chuckle, because it reminded me of a quest in the French MMORPG "Dofus".

Ankama, the developers, are located in the north of France, not actually far from my home, and they have a bunch of different games and other properties, and this quest was ... a little out of the ordinary...

You picked it up in Dofus, and to complete it, you had to go to a particular place in the world of Dofus, and leave an item there. You then installed *two* other games by Ankama, and in one, you went and picked up the item from a particular place, and took it somewhere else. You then loaded up Wakfu, the third of the games, and picked up the item *again* before eventually depositing a different item somewhere that would transport it back in time to Dofus (Dofus and Wakfu are set in the same world, with Dofus being a thousand years earlier in the timeline). Your character in Dofus then picked up the item and you could complete the quest.

It made more sense, I think, than my description, but it was, indeed, a single quest that crossed three games.

That sounds really cool, and an interesting way to get people to try all 3 games

If you watch the price for the item(s) you want to sell over time, you'll get an idea of what is a high price and what is a low price for it. Depending on the item, it might fluctuate quite a bit.

^^^ This !

Sometimes working the GTN can be a bit tricky. It does take time. BUT ! If you watch the market you will find that there are some areas that are more profitable than others. And .. YES if you pay attention you can and will learn a lot about pricing.

Take your time at first. The market will fluctuate and change from time to time. I would imagine that things will change a lot in the next few weeks ... particularly when 6.0 is released !

Be patient... watch, and if you especially find that you want to become involved in crafting you might also discover a niche that works well for you !

Thank you all for answers! I'll try to watch the market more closely then. :jawa_redface:

This sounds actually very cool! Both as an idea to get more people involved in several games and as a story behind that item, if there is one. :jawa_smile:

but it'll never reach the billions.

Oh come on, average crafter with 4-5 alts can make 500 mil per day. At least it was that way before announced Onslaught and all the changes we can see on PTS.

Now people do not want to pay hundreds of millions per weapon. :)

Oh come on, average crafter with 4-5 alts can make 500 mil per day. At least it was that way before announced Onslaught and all the changes we can see on PTS.

That’s rubbish. An average crafter can’t. Maybe an elite crafter like you can.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

The thing people so often miss in this kind of silliness is that if loads of people did whatever form of selling you're suggesting was lucrative, when it was lucrative, it would quickly become not-so-lucrative because the market would be so saturated it would force the price down.

The fact that it's so lucrative to begin with should be an indication that not only are few people doing it, but you're better off with it being that way if you are one of the people trying to profit off of it.

That's one of the reasons I've never gotten into crafting for credits, personally. I don't want to invest the time into babysitting listings to ensure I'm making sales. Plus there's just so much detail in keeping track of different mats and pricing of things to ensure you're making a profit, and so on. Too much work for a game! Not my cup of tea. Not lots of peoples' cup of tea and for those for whom it is their cup of tea, be glad people like me sit it out because it means you have less competition to deal with and thus have an easier time charging higher prices and making a killing.

I wouldn't brag too much about it. You might just inspire people to jump into the market and inadvertently kill your sales in the process.

I wouldn't brag too much about it. You might just inspire people to jump into the market and inadvertently kill your sales in the process.

Not like i really care. I already have enough credits, in fact more than i will ever need.

I just want to encourage new and returning people to craft.