Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Naming and renaming characters has become an impossible task.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Naming and renaming characters has become an impossible task.

lightSaberAddiCt
08.21.2019 , 03:12 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkTergon View Post
From what I can see in the old forums is that only those of level 10 or less, who hadn't logged in for 90 days had their names purged. This was about november 2017, around the merge time. People might not consider it a proper purge as it was only low level chars. The previous purge was 2013 or so when makeb came out the purged level 50's and lower, with the same rules. Couldn't really find any other purges, but it doesn't mean they aren't there But as people have pointed out, it's a moot argument, BW probably won't do it, and even if they did, previous purges didn't release as many names as people hoped, and nearly alway shortly after the purge, people wanted it again...
This is not true. I had a high level character, I hadn't played in little over a year, and when they merged I lost my name.
Just Click It for Free Stuff I need the CC
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hj4n32

DarkTergon
08.21.2019 , 03:23 PM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by lightSaberAddiCt View Post
This is not true. I had a high level character, I hadn't played in little over a year, and when they merged I lost my name.

yup, that was the merge, we were talking about the purge There was some debate on wether a purge had taken place at or before the merge. From the forum it turns out there was, but the PURGE only got rid of level 10 or less, but the merge can affect any char (depending on it's on set of rules, etc).
No Idea if people use these, but if so, here's my referral link
http://www.swtor.com/r/jFXFFQ

Darev
08.21.2019 , 04:55 PM | #53
From my memory:

The first server merge...toons across servers with the same name to the same destination server...if a toon already on that destination server had the name they got to keep it. incoming toons had to re-name.

The second server merge they did some weird "formula" that I don't remember if I even understood at the time. It wasn't gameplay hours, it wasn't the age of the toon...what I do remember is that toons on the new destination servers could have, and did, lose names to other toons with the same names from other servers.

The purge, which I don't remember because all subscriber toons were safe and it didn't affect me...was, I'm pretty sure, somewhere in between the two merges.
If you choose to fight in the sewer you can no longer claim to have the moral high ground.

lightSaberAddiCt
08.21.2019 , 11:44 PM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkTergon View Post
yup, that was the merge, we were talking about the purge There was some debate on wether a purge had taken place at or before the merge. From the forum it turns out there was, but the PURGE only got rid of level 10 or less, but the merge can affect any char (depending on it's on set of rules, etc).
Yeah but out of 40+ alts, I had one that was lost, it was Bojangle. But I always came up with original names, not SW knockoffs, so that was pretty good. I really didn't even have to change the rename that much with the added space now allowed with naming.

Corinne
08.22.2019 , 10:48 AM | #55
I am against name purges. I have been playing since launch and the possibility of losing my names makes me sick to my stomach. I've already lost three with server merges. I am a subscriber, but I would pay extra to guarantee that my names are never taken away.
EBON HAWK: Evangeline (Shadow), Valerie (Sage), Lauren (Guardian), Amity (Vanguard), Gretchen (Marauder), Kateryna (Assassin), Rachel (Operative), Sofie (Sniper), Caylie (Scoundrel)

kodrac
08.22.2019 , 11:52 AM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
I am a subscriber, but I would pay extra to guarantee that my names are never taken away.
Please don't give the greedy EA execs any ideas. Being a subscriber is good enough.
Quote: Originally Posted by aerockyul View Post
Id find it hard to believe this sort of thing goes on in the preferential treatment forum.
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post
or Kodrac, for saying everything I want to say, but he takes one for team and gets a warning.

DarkTergon
08.22.2019 , 12:46 PM | #57
I am against name purges. I have been playing since launch and the possibility of losing my names makes me sick to my stomach. I've already lost three with server merges. I am a subscriber, but I would pay extra to guarantee that my names are never taken away.
An active acc wouldn't lose their names, people are confusing merges with purges. The purge would affect non active accs, and it's usually from accs (not chars) that haven't been used in a certain amount of time,
No Idea if people use these, but if so, here's my referral link
http://www.swtor.com/r/jFXFFQ

foxmob
08.22.2019 , 01:40 PM | #58
I support a purge of inactive account names. maybe in the past 6 months? there are only 2 NA servers. the overlap on names is pretty bad. and it always bothered me that I had to change my name when I knew for a fact that the other guy didn't play anymore.
Krack

DeVanagloris
08.24.2019 , 04:22 AM | #59
It's a purge im talking about, not a merge.

Being a sub, you're probably an active player. In that case you wouldnt lose your names. You may be on and off here and there, just like me. But 2 years is more than enough time to keep your names, sub or not. If you are not using it, let others use it and enjoy their game time.
This is my referral link here:
Referral link
You can get all sort of FREE STUFF!! and GOODIES!! by clicking it, no matter you are new or returning player. You also get 7 DAYS of FREE SUBSCRIPTION!!

lightSaberAddiCt
08.25.2019 , 10:18 AM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
I support a purge of inactive account names. maybe in the past 6 months? there are only 2 NA servers. the overlap on names is pretty bad. and it always bothered me that I had to change my name when I knew for a fact that the other guy didn't play anymore.
A 6 month purge? Are you joking? IF they were to do a purge (which I am against), then it should be for 2+ years. 6 months is someone taking a break from the game.

I mean seriously, do you WANT to run this game out of business? Not to mention, as I stated before, unless you are making some fanboy name like Han Solo or Kylo Ren, there really is no bad issues of having name conflicts. Especially since they are allowing spaces in the names.