Is Sorc fun in PvP?

TrumpetNut

sorcs are great fun as long as you dont want to be competitive vs any pt, sin, jugg or mara with one quarter of a brain..

oh and snipers will blow u out of the water if u cant get them out of their cover or los

as a sor cu can do well vs..... other sorcs... and mercs of course

Is it fun? Yes I love my sorcerer and would not think of playing another class. Is it competitive as in are you going to be a dps star? No, just the way it is if you want massive numbers and destroying the opposing team play something else you can have decent dps but you will not be the all star.

Well most of all I want to have fun. Although this may be very hard for me since I am relitively used to being top 2 as a Sin or Mara, I actually may try one. One noobish question though lol what is "utility?" And I am thinking of doing a madness-lightning hybrid spec that will not allow me to get the creeping terror ability and give me chain lightning instead, Is this worth the trade? (Chain lightning vs creeping terror) Edited by TrumpetNut

I have finished a Marauder and Merc to level 50 and want to try sorc. I want to PvP ONLY. Is sorc fun/good in PvP for Dpsing or no? And also why?

My original main was a Sorc and to this day it is the only ac I've that I went a leveled a 50 of its mirror (sage) on, so yes I am a fan.

Sadly the lightning tree that first attracted me to the class pre-launch is terrible in pvp and to me feels clunky in pve.

That said, I have spent significant time as

1.full madness

2.full heal

3.21/20 (back when it was mez not stun)

4.heal/madness hybrid (a blast in unrated and great for soloing)

5.0/13/28 back pre 1.2

And have enjoyed every single one of those variations

For progression content and top end pvp I dps on my sent and heal on my scoundrel, but for sheer fun factor I very much am a fan of Sorc/sages

Edited by paul_preib

there is a high contrast between sorc and other classes. It doesn't have much survivability and ridiculously enough, its main attacks are energy attacks, which are fully mitigated by tanks (all lightning abilities are energy).

However, the incredible mobility and stuff like extrication really makes them fun to experiment and play with.

if the other team allows you to free cast apply weaken mind - X3 distrubances - turbalance - tk throw - tk wave - project then its the funniest class next to guardian/jug but if u are attack prepare to die alot

That's the whole story of lightning pvp sorc :D do NOT use lightning in pvp, it's just hilarious. Go full madness or utility hybrid for dps or any healing full or hybrid build.

Back to topic: yes sorc is lots of fun in pvp. Being a star of the match is not impossible as some of us think. Though it's not easy task of course. But in the end of all - we have good dps, can heal, control capabilities, mediocre survivability. Use your skills wisely, and you will be very useful for your team definitely

If you want to spent most of the time in the respawn area, if you want to be target nr 1 on the enemies' list, not because of your superb dps, but because that you are an easy kill, then this class is for you.

In the pvp bracket 1-49 you will be ok, but at lvl 50 you'll wanna cry why you wasted your time in leveling a sorcerer.

At lvl 50 as a lightning sorcerer in full wh augmented gear your hard hitting spell will crit for 3.3k (2sec cast) damage.*

As a madness sorcerer your dots will do nothing but barely scratching people.

FYI I am full augmented wh.

On my others chars e.g. Vanguard (as a recruit) I was hitting ppl for 3.5k (instant cast high impact bolt). As full bm + 3 pieces wh gear - 4.3k. (not augmented)

On my marauder - battlemaster + 4 wh pieces - 4.6k smash. (not augmented)

P.S. You can sometimes see a sorcerer dealing ca. 450k dps in a warzone - don't be fooled. They've min/maxed everything - they've spent countless of hours just to be able to achieve something that other classes do in recruit/bm armor.

If you want to spent most of the time in the respawn area, if you want to be target nr 1 on the enemies' list, not because of your superb dps, but because that you are an easy kill, then this class is for you.

In the pvp bracket 1-49 you will be ok, but at lvl 50 you'll wanna cry why you wasted your time in leveling a sorcerer.

At lvl 50 as a lightning sorcerer in full wh augmented gear your hard hitting spell will crit for 3.3k (2sec cast) damage.*

As a madness sorcerer your dots will do nothing but barely scratching people.

FYI I am full augmented wh.

On my others chars e.g. Vanguard (as a recruit) I was hitting ppl for 3.5k (instant cast high impact bolt). As full bm + 3 pieces wh gear - 4.3k. (not augmented)

On my marauder - battlemaster + 4 wh pieces - 4.6k smash. (not augmented)

P.S. You can sometimes see a sorcerer dealing ca. 450k dps in a warzone - don't be fooled. They've min/maxed everything - they've spent countless of hours just to be able to achieve something that other classes do in recruit/bm armor.

i'm madness sorc and fyi i do crit 4k+ by death field per target. Even 5k on people without expertise. You can count me as full wh though, but i haven't yet done any of min/maxing. i simply bought "right" pieces and replaced 2 armorings by pve ones.

Well known fact that sorc wh items (i guess the same relates to any dps/healer set) either have 26A mod, or enhancement with 40+ endurance (instead of 40+ power and 20+ end.). So the choice is simple - pick those with 26A when you gear up, and your gear will not be so far from fully min/max. 26A to 26 damage improvement is not so big comparing to loss of 20 power/crit with wrong enhancement.

Also good damage during wz isn't something fantastic at all, i pulled around 300k being in mostly bm.

I have a level 30 sorc that I've been leveling as a healer and I constantly am in PVP matches just because I want to improve my healing. I always have good numbers healing but I was surprised that I also have put up great dps numbers. And I'm usually not trying. I get on a team with some bad players and more times than I'd like to count I've had to be the DPS AND healer on the team. I don't put up high numbers like my Mara, Shadow or Gunslinger but as someone who is trying to heal and constantly running from people it can get some respectable numbers lol. There is no match where I don't get at least 2-3 mvp votes when people see my damage and healing.

Very fun class to play.

if the other team allows you to free cast apply weaken mind - X3 distrubances - turbalance - tk throw - tk wave - project then its the funniest class next to guardian/jug but if u are attack prepare to die alot

In other words its great against bads and sucks againts good players.

And its good in lower bracket, in 50, well, if you dont want to play competitive class go for it.

Edited by GrandMike

It can be fun against bads- against good players you'll be chain rooted, smash two shot, etc...

However- while bubble stun exists the class can be enjoyable. Your damage is garbage COMPARED to other classes when it comes to burst, and while you're ungeared you're even worse off than other ungeared classes for damage.

Healing is decent for numbers- very immobile though, poor resource management, and very easy to shut down and kill.

Level 10-49 the class is decent.

sorcerer's are fun in pvp until you hit 50. Once you hit fifty, you become everybody's favorite target

Basically this, even in a group your the first thing they target because of bubble stun and guess what your not even going to last less then 5 seconds when they all pile on you. Especially as DPS.

Lightning just sucks. Its all cast times, and energy numbers being nerfed by 10%. They don't even give you a decent amount of base damage and scaling while you sit there casting them out. Thunderblast is just utter crap. Its crit only doubles and its scaling is pathetic for the cast time to required.

Infact the only really benefit for the tree is to go hybrid so you can survive longer as madness while getting a crap load of instants off. Other then that get used to piling alacrity augments if you want to get more damage of faster.

The whole idea of Lightning is just sitting there spamming your lighting strikes while getting procs from them, but they don't increase your damage much and when someone especially melee focuses on you, you better whisper sweet nothings into their ear because your about to get ****ed.

Madness is basically the only tree viable for PvP. Your squishy as hell and unless you put points in healing your not going very far either. You can dot everyone and top the damage charts but to really get the kills you should be focusing all your dots and force lightning on the person you want dead. Usually other healers and weak DPS. You very handy to have with extraction as you pull players to where you are which is great when getting them out of problem.

Your bubbles will also help even if your not specced with the stun, in giving you mates an edge while you whittle them down and immobilize them.

TBH the whole Sorc/merc situation is terrible because of the overwhelming power with melee and you won't have much to escape with then they snare and immobilize you. The whole idea of your defense is to CC them which pretty much back fires when they are immune to it.

So yeah sorcerers can be fun and the ability to take someone down in PvP is rewarding in itself. But don't be on being the number one out there when DPSing.

Yup its lots of fun. As others mention you won't be the dps star if there are ace sents and dps guardians. Depending on how much you use your utililities to the team by 20-40% less damage than the sents. Basically one or two sages can bring havoc into an enemy team, mezz the healer, run through the melee range and exploit the click debuff of your stun bubble stunning all of them, pull rescue your healer from focussed fire and bubble/heal him till he is out of danger, or pull in hutball your teamate (sometimes to the firepits if he is annoying you), switch from dps to bubble/healing on the ball carrier allowing him to do this last 10m to the end zone or pass to you, delay 4 people that are coming back to a node with a simple root knockback giving your team time to cap it, and many many more things to do. You can still dps very reasonably but not to the level of a sent.

At level 50 sorc would be fun if you:

1. (Healer) Enjoy being a running around healer - admittedly very annoying for the enemy team.

2. (Utility) Enjoy spamming bubbles, dying, respawning and spamming bubbles again. Then log into the forum and read the complaints about the resolve system with a satisfied grin ;)

3. (DPS) Enjoy throwing mighty lightning strikes that ... tickle other people so they can find their way easier to you and show you proper DPS in the form of a smash, ambush, rail-shot etc.

4. (<18yo) Enjoy spending your whole life grinding and modding your gear to the ultimate stats in the galaxy to finally accomplish what other advanced classes do from the beginning.

Honestly I would personally only call fun the possibility to rescue the ball handler to a better position, considering you live long enough to do it.

I echo comments here suggesting they are fun. lvl'ing a Sorc is super easy and the utility adds a nice variety. Unlike snipers/ gunslingers who are good to go from lvl 10 in pvp, you really are a sitting duck until you get your bubble and force speed, but thankfully these come very early on. 200k+ dmg in lowbie pvp is very doable on a consistent basis.

I lvl'd as full madness but was able to heal all the flashpoints (in full madness spec) up to lvl40 with ease.

Fun class, enjoy.

Edited by CrixusBoR

Fun, yes.

Viable in PvP, depends.

• Extremely effective against baddies (they dont know how to deal with CC).
  • Moderately effective against PUG's, dissarray and lack of coordination give you enough to slip death.
  • Horrible against premades and any team composition. The coordination by premades ensures you will be permanently rooted. It only takes 8 seconds from a competent warrior, powertech or Juggernaught to lay on the hurt in a way you cannot recover.

ok, realistically sorc has a chance 1v1 vs any class except a PT.. a sorc cant counter a pt in any way since everything they do is instant and hits us for a ton...

but no class does worst when focus fired than a sorc... sorc dmg is lagging behind other classes as well.. id kill for the ranged burst of a sniper..

with attention to detail and skill you can be moderately successful as a sorc,

i basically stand as far back as i can and dps, the second im focused i snare, cc and sprint away... sorcs can not, and should not stand toe to toe with ANY other class (aside from mercs lawl)

Bioware should allow wraith chain lightning again, and possibly make our lightning skills to be internal dmg..

for example the 31pt talent in the lightning tree which has a long cast and is on cd only crits for about 3-4k at best..

juggs can lolsmash on shorter cd for up to 7.9k (highest ive personally seen in a wz)