Opinions Needed: Drop 300 slicing for Underworld Trading?

Spartanlaxxx

I'm in a predicament: I initially started leveling slicing since I heard it was great for pure money. Around level 20 I decided to go with Cybertech and Scavenger as my other two choices. Now, a lot of the good stuff from Cybertech uses underworld trading metals. Should I drop my 300 slicing and start fresh with underworld trading, or keep slicing and just spend money on the underworld metals when I need them? Feel bad dropping a skill I got so high and gives me so much money, but long term feel like underworld trading will benefit me more.

Thoughts? Any advice would be great.

I'm in the same boat, longterm I think Underworld trading is a much better choice... but I really like the easy money slicing provides... on the other hand though... you can always re-level slicing super easy. It's not like it costs you anything!

If you decide to drop it please let me know what you think about UT.

While Slicing is a great money maker now, ultimately the purple mats from the other mission skills (UWT, Inv, Diplo, TH) will bring in more cash. They are exceedingly expensive and time-consuming to gather.

Gonna have to go with Drakeborn on this one. The economy is still in its infancy. The more crafters at the upper tiers, the higher the demand for epic mission skill rewards. I'd say stick with slicing for a while longer, squeeze every credit you can out of it, then switch. Better yet, level slicing on an alt, and take UW on your main crafter. Just my .02.

Keep Scavenging and Slicing until you get max lvl Cybertech and manage to farm some stacks of materiels. Then drop Scavenging for Underworld Trading. You keep making money and if you in the future need more "normal" mats you can buy those instead. That is the route im going at least.

I'm doing the opposite and its working quite well. Slicing, Cybertech and UT.

Slicing gets me a ton of cash, but i can't craft anything "basic" / green -- but I don't really want to or care to except to level. So I buy my scavenged mats on the market, and save my metals from UT. I even get fabric over UT regularly, and sell them.

Between the money that comes in from cyber lockbox missions (a bit of a gamble, but by and large a profit and sometimes a big one), slicing nodes, and selling underworld fabrics... I have plenty to buy the green crafting supplies scavanging produces.

Granted, the economy during EGA is wobbly and we can't really be sure how it'll play out later. But the sheer fact that the greens crafting resources come in vastly large quantities then the blue and purple resources you get from UT, I think I'll be on solid ground. Not as efficient as someone who goes Cyber/Scav/UT, not as self-sufficient, occasionally in trouble if supply runs dry and such... but overall I think I'll end up with a lot more liquid cash.

(For schematics and orange looks and missions mostly.)

And I haven't even really started producing quality crafted items for the market. I'm just selling commodities still and making good.

Gonna have to go with Drakeborn on this one. The economy is still in its infancy. The more crafters at the upper tiers, the higher the demand for epic mission skill rewards. I'd say stick with slicing for a while longer, squeeze every credit you can out of it, then switch. Better yet, level slicing on an alt, and take UW on your main crafter. Just my .02.

This is pretty much what I decided while taking my Sociology final tonight (because brainstorming my future in SWTOR is way more interesting than my real life future).

I'm gonna keep my slicing until 400 and try to get the Cybertech schematics while funding my purchase of skills/mats/etc. Then, once I have my schematics, I'll switch to Underworld Trading and start making the good ****, like speeders and epic grenades.

I do agree, in case anyone is wondering, that it'd be better to have a high crafting job for the first month than a high gathering job like Slicing. The guaranteed profit is nice, but the end-of-the-line crafting items will go for a buttload if you're one of the few people that make it.

This is pretty much what I decided while taking my Sociology final tonight (because brainstorming my future in SWTOR is way more interesting than my real life future).

I'm gonna keep my slicing until 400 and try to get the Cybertech schematics while funding my purchase of skills/mats/etc. Then, once I have my schematics, I'll switch to Underworld Trading and start making the good ****, like speeders and epic grenades.

I do agree, in case anyone is wondering, that it'd be better to have a high crafting job for the first month than a high gathering job like Slicing. The guaranteed profit is nice, but the end-of-the-line crafting items will go for a buttload if you're one of the few people that make it.

Just remember that when you switch crew skills, you start all over at 1.

If you're level 400 in Slicing, and drop it for UT, you will be at 1.

If you then drop UT and pick up Slicing again, you will be at 1.

I'm in a predicament: I initially started leveling slicing since I heard it was great for pure money. Around level 20 I decided to go with Cybertech and Scavenger as my other two choices. Now, a lot of the good stuff from Cybertech uses underworld trading metals. Should I drop my 300 slicing and start fresh with underworld trading, or keep slicing and just spend money on the underworld metals when I need them? Feel bad dropping a skill I got so high and gives me so much money, but long term feel like underworld trading will benefit me more.

I would keep it.

I'm guessing you're a Cybertech/Scavenger/Slicer?

Why not make your next alt a Armormech (or Armstech)/Underworld Trader/Diplomacy(Or scavenging if you really want to.)

Your first alt gets plans for both professions, and the money for training/missions. Your second character gets the blue metals, and can level up another profession for you.

This. I have two toons I am making. One arm>savaging>investigation for blue matts. The alt is cyber tech>UWT for blue and slicing. Feeding unused Savaging matts to lower level from high level. This works great as I end up with at least enough to keep cybertech leveled and I can always send my guys old low level missions to get lower grade matts as needed. and since slicing gets you the extra mission items this is working great for me.

Drop scav and swap to UT.

i'll do this tonight... my current craft is Cyber > Scav > UT and will change to:

Cyber > SLICE > UT

many people have scav.. you can buy the materials in GTN

Unless you have an alt that has a high scav i would not do this. As you level i expect base matts to get really costly. But it is all a guess since we dont know how much you will fully make from slicing to pay for the unknown priced matts.

Unless you have an alt that has a high scav i would not do this. As you level i expect base matts to get really costly. But it is all a guess since we dont know how much you will fully make from slicing to pay for the unknown priced matts.

Sure... but i have a friend doing cyber > slice > scav and we have a deal :)

i'll trade with him UT material for Scav material

:cool:

Keep slicing until it gets nerfed(Which I feel will be soon) or until your set on credits. Then swap over to underworld. imo.

I was having this same exact problem and said screw it ill switch over to UT now before the flood of money squeezers in slicing get off of it. Yeah I wont make as much money as others but I can have my mats now without costing what people are asking. I can quietly do my thing and get what I want out of it.

Its not a money race.

I would just roll another character and put the needed skills there. You do not need to level your character to level your crafting. Then, just mail yourself the materials you need. 300 Slicing has got to be getting you a pretty penny so I'd hate to see you lose that.