Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is Alacricity rly that usefull in pvp? (And what about crit)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Is Alacricity rly that usefull in pvp? (And what about crit)

Bilch
03.25.2019 , 04:47 PM | #1
Hey,

i heard from some people that Alacrity is very usefull no matter what. even for melee classes without casttimes.

But for me thats hard to imagine. Even if i go for a high breakpoint of 1860+ alacrity for the 1,3s global cooldown (is it still this way?) That would be just 1 attack more in roughly 15 sec (and since you dont do all the time attacks (getting stunned...) i think its even less.

So why are so many people going for high Alacrity?

And what about crit? I read that 1796 is the max crit before mastery gets more usefull for dmg. (is that still the case) and what about classes that haave higher critt from th start like a rage jugger? And is attack power better or worse than crit?

Hope i can get some understanding how the stats work.

DNGDangerous
03.25.2019 , 05:17 PM | #2
Stat numbers vary from class to class, and even spec to spec.

Some classes get alacrity %boosts, some classes do not need accuracy, etc...

Supposably, even Internet connection speeds can also play a factor for players when choosing stat allocation.

Some classes might need a certain cast time speed in-order to fit a certain string of abilities within certain Burst windows.

1859+ alacrity is not a one size fits all, but due to the high stat bloat 252/258 gear has, it “probably” is benificial to at least achieve 703+ alacrity on all non-tank specializations.

VaeVictis
03.25.2019 , 05:55 PM | #3
You have to have some Alac unless you want to ride the DR curve so there's no reason not to hit the first breakpoint i.e. 702+ Alac. So the question is is the second breakpoint (1857+ Alac) worth it?

I hit the second breakpoint on all my healers (this is absolutely optimal for heals), AC's with built in Alac i.e. Lightning and Arsenal, and on my Pyro PT as well.

I run the first breakpoint with 2200+ Crit on my burst chars i.e. Fury, Marksman, and Deception. This breaks down to Alacrity = 2 Enhancements + 2 Augments, Crit = 8 Enhancements + Relics + Acc Stim, and Acc = 5 Augments + Acc stim and Mastery = 7 Augments. 258/236 gear assumed.

I run 5 Augment + Stim 110% Acc on all my DPS chars, this adds minimal DPS in PvP but so would using it for Crit/Alac/Mastery and it's nice not to have to switch gear.

These set-ups work well for me since I'm pretty much always top damage and kills.

phalczen
03.25.2019 , 07:46 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Bilch View Post
And what about crit? I read that 1796 is the max crit before mastery gets more usefull for dmg. (is that still the case) and what about classes that haave higher critt from th start like a rage jugger? And is attack power better or worse than crit?
That threshold is probably more applicable to classes that do mostly weapon damage (so called "white" damage, because the flytext numbers that come up over the enemy are white, instead of yellow.) For example, Carnage Maras, Sharpshooter Gunslingers, and Arsenal Mercs all do mostly weapon (white) damage. Classes that do mostly tech or Force damage (yellow damage) can likely tolerate a much higher critical rating, like 2300-2400, for example, Lightning Sorcs. Healers of course do all their heals as tech or Force damage, and they don't need much accuracy, so they can stack quite a bit of alacrity and crit.

Power is better than Mastery, but Power is largely fixed based on gear since there are no 236/240-rating Overkill augments. Since the augments are mostly what people have to play with in terms of their stat budget (especially in the 5.10 era), that's why people talk about Mastery instead of Power on their gear. The only place where you can really choose between Mastery and Power is in your mainhand and offhand color crystals, and in most gearing recommendation schemes its assumed you're using Eviscerating (critical rating) color crystals.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

KumbayaGOD
03.25.2019 , 09:06 PM | #5
Hey,

i heard from some people that Alacrity is very usefull no matter what. even for melee classes without casttimes.

But for me thats hard to imagine. Even if i go for a high breakpoint of 1860+ alacrity for the 1,3s global cooldown (is it still this way?) That would be just 1 attack more in roughly 15 sec (and since you dont do all the time attacks (getting stunned...) i think its even less.

actually there no set rules in stone both have advantages in my opinion
for example you choose the critical route meaning you hit harder and more crit vs hitting less but more frequent if you choose alacrity route

scenario 1 : the enemy only have say 5k HP left and if you choose crit , maybe you get lucky and get the kills by critting , but if you choose alacrity , you mean hit less and that hit to enemy didnt kill him

or scenario 2: enemy less 10k and you can hit with 2 hits intead of 1 of your hard hitter and then you can finish the enemy instead of 1
so both are situational
http://www.swtor.com/r/vczzh2 click here for referal code you you get: FREE TRANSFER , FREE STUFFS, FREE 7 DAYS SUBSCRIPTION, FREE UNLOCK AND MORE

varietasplus
03.26.2019 , 03:11 AM | #6
Hey,

It is very important to point it out in advance we are talking about a dynamic PVP environment as opposed to pseudo-static boss fights in PVE. Both alacrity and accuracy fall under different evaluation.

All stats (crit, accuracy, alacrity, defense, etc.) have diminishing returns, that means as you increase the stat number, the less benefit/return you get, therefore you have to minmax your gear based on the class you play which includes the type of damage you inflict. Not only does alacrity affect DOT, but it also decreases your skill cooldown time and increases energy regeneration rate.

DOT (Damage Over Time) spread damage dealers may consider to aim for 1,3 GCD (Global Cooldown), but again - PVP is a dynamic environment, so any stun/mezz/root may hinder you to reproduce the APM (Action Per Minute) and - as a result- damage output on a training dummy, closing the gap between different GCD levels.

However, owing to diminishing returns, there is no point to put everything on crit (along with a slight ammount of accuracy if your main damage type is "white" (melee, ranged)), the 1,4 GCD (703 alacrity rating) is definitely an improvement for very little to sacrifise.

TL;DR: 703 alacrity is by all means an improvement over none at all for all DPS classes, even melee without cast times. Yes, you can even tell the difference both as sentinel (mara) or guardian (jugg).

Lhancelot
03.26.2019 , 06:41 AM | #7
Hey,

I periodically questioned the logic behind alacrity too however, after adjusting my stats on my arsenal merc my overall performance definitely improved when I went with the recommended alacrity and crit amounts.

I also found my rotations faster, smoother, and just more pleasant to run through. I tried an all critical/power build, just to avoid alacrity altogether for the fun of it, and the alacrity build just felt better and performed better too.

Without alacrity, the rotations are much slower, clunkier feeling I mean it's quite noticeable even though you wouldn't think it would be.

Sadly it's so expensive to change mods in and out, plus just having all the mods and gear pieces to try different builds is much more difficult than it used to be. At one time when I had every alt geared and had access to endless WZ comms that enabled me to buy any stat mod I wanted I tried lots of goofy builds just for the fun of it.

One time, I took my sage DPS and added every alacrity mod and piece of gear I could possibly give him even at the detriment of his crit, mastery, power and believe it or not in regs this build was quite viable and fun. lol my channels were so fast with my rock throws it was hard to not just spam that over and over it was so fun.
Pookiemane SF Suffocates
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.

fabsus
03.26.2019 , 07:55 AM | #8
i did a lots of testing about alacrity and critical rating for my main classes,
with the different specs.

for me, the most classes were much smoother with the high alacrity build.
the only expeption and just in pvp, was the arsenal merc. here i liked the
high crit build more.

comparing numbers in warzones is really hard. they all are different and
so you just can take some short parts to compare them. for example an
1 on 1, or a burst phase. even here it is not that easy with other debuffs,
or maybe buffs for the other player.

so dummies were a thing, to find out some specific differences. and here i
always did more dps with high alacrity builds. most of the time, even the burst
phases were with higher dps, compared to a high crit build. again the exeption:
the arsenal merc.

after all this testing around alacrity and switching from arsenal to io,
i did the same with mastery and critical rating. and here i found out for myself,
that every single point above 2k critical rating is just a waste of stats. so around
that number is fine. rest directly goes in mastery.

but you really should do that on your own. so something working for my, maybe won't
work for you. so don't just take the dps, but take a look into the ability tracking.
Disclaimer: This is my opinion.
http://www.swtor.com/r/cyZhrF <--This is my Ref-Link. Feel free to ignore or benefit from it.

Bilch
03.26.2019 , 11:21 AM | #9
Thanks for the replys ill try a few things.

One last Question why is Accuracy not important for a sorc?

TrixxieTriss
03.26.2019 , 03:13 PM | #10
Thanks for the replys ill try a few things.

One last Question why is Accuracy not important for a sorc?
It is important, but less so than other stats. It comes down to stat distribution. If you have enough of the most important stats, then adding accuracy would be good. But most of the time the stat pool is limited and used for Alacrity, crit and mastery.

I’ve not tested out the stat pool for 258 gear with 236-240 Augments, but it’s highly likely the pool is big enough to add some accuracy. (Someone who has the gear would know better).