Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Does Force Barrier now have “ramp up” cast time?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Does Force Barrier now have “ramp up” cast time?

TrixxieTriss
03.25.2019 , 07:54 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Metthew View Post
It has an incredibly short, hidden cast time before it channels, so it cannot be pressed while moving or in air. At least that was what Kelevra had told me after a kek-global on a sorc friend in season FIVE. Said sorc got knocked off a ledge and got globalled in air xD

I guess that's just how the game implements skills you cannot activate on the move.
Wow, ok. That’s the most logical reason so far. I had never seen this short cast bar come up before.

So, with me looking like Im standing still and this happening would mean I was moving or being moved as I was trying to activate it? Or that dysnc - lag or some such was enough that the system didn’t know my positioning and added the precast bar to determine if it would activate?

abhaxus
03.31.2019 , 11:39 AM | #12
As others have said, force barrier and other stationary only abilities are heavily affected by your latency when you try to activate while moving. It has gotten noticeably worse since I came back to swtor last year (after the merge down to 5 servers). I have relatively low latency (usually 30-50ms) and it can be very frustrating if fighting a high latency melee - the desync causes their ability to activate before the game registers that I have stopped and activated FB.

Often your evidence of this is you respawn, die in the spawn area, and your FB is still off cooldown.
Abhaxus - Sorc heal/dps | Pill Cosby - leth op | Buubi'sett - PT | Snugglenaut - Jugg hybrid | Wayward'son - sniper | Abhaxuus - Mara | Weezles - Scoundrel | Aßhaxus - Sage | Spankasin - tankasin | Aßhole - Commando

JediMasterAlex
03.31.2019 , 11:46 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by abhaxus View Post
As others have said, force barrier and other stationary only abilities are heavily affected by your latency when you try to activate while moving. It has gotten noticeably worse since I came back to swtor last year (after the merge down to 5 servers). I have relatively low latency (usually 30-50ms) and it can be very frustrating if fighting a high latency melee - the desync causes their ability to activate before the game registers that I have stopped and activated FB.

Often your evidence of this is you respawn, die in the spawn area, and your FB is still off cooldown.
I've never seen a cast bar for force barrier, but I have noticed that sometimes you press the key for it, your character actually goes into the stance for force barrier, but you die anyway without it actually activating. I assume that it's a desync/latency issue where the server and client don't agree on what happened first, the killing blow or the barrier. But it's really really annoying to go into the stance and still die. I've got a bunch of screenshots of it happening.

TrixxieTriss
03.31.2019 , 05:18 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterAlex View Post
I've never seen a cast bar for force barrier, but I have noticed that sometimes you press the key for it, your character actually goes into the stance for force barrier, but you die anyway without it actually activating. I assume that it's a desync/latency issue where the server and client don't agree on what happened first, the killing blow or the barrier. But it's really really annoying to go into the stance and still die. I've got a bunch of screenshots of it happening.
Dying in bubble happens all the time with high lag. I’ve learnt not to rely on it at the last second. I have to activate it much earlier than I should.
What’s really annoying is I can activate it and it’s nearly 2/3rds of the way through the cast time and then I die. Which is a lot more time than 200ms lag.
It’s why I won’t take my Sorc into ranked. I just can’t rely on it working.