Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bloody hell this gearing system is insufferable!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Bloody hell this gearing system is insufferable!

Sirolos
03.20.2019 , 01:07 PM | #11
So. Once upon a time. When this game launched they had a similar RnG system that was equally bad if not worse than this. The PvP community pretty much dwindled and a lot of my friends ended up leaving because of it. This was back in the day when PvP stats were a thing.
I agree RNG systems for gearing is terrible and I had hoped that Bioware had learned from their mistakes. It seems that they are still out of touch and think people enjoy lottery gearing.
Hopefully it doesn't take a dip in the population again for them to get it right and fix this.
Quote: Originally Posted by Modecrypt View Post
Sorcs really need to be looked at. They have 7 knockbacks, 5 stuns, , they can cross guard each other
Quote: Originally Posted by Kholvan View Post
Don't make me gouge you with my purple origami horns.

Banderal
03.20.2019 , 01:16 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Sirolos View Post
So. Once upon a time. When this game launched they had a similar RnG system that was equally bad if not worse than this. The PvP community pretty much dwindled and a lot of my friends ended up leaving because of it. This was back in the day when PvP stats were a thing.
Yep, I started PvP'ing right at the tail end of that, and it sucked. And then bioware ended it and universe was right again. And then apparently they hired all new devs who didn't bother to even check what had gone before.

Quote: Originally Posted by Sirolos View Post
I agree RNG systems for gearing is terrible and I had hoped that Bioware had learned from their mistakes. It seems that they are still out of touch and think people enjoy lottery gearing.
Hopefully it doesn't take a dip in the population again for them to get it right and fix this.
Honestly, I think "too late". I'm pretty sure a large number of people left with the introduction of the "CXP" system, which is when the stupid "random is exciting!" crates came back. That gearing (compared to what PvP'rs were used to) was bad enough. This ossus stuff is even worse (imo).

Slippery When'wet, FistFullOfCandy - SF

DarthCasus
03.20.2019 , 01:47 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Mikazen View Post
you are getting bolstered a lot, its in my opinion a waste of time
'Bolster' has easily climbed the ranks to become my most hated word since kiwi. Don't ask about kiwi.
Quote: Originally Posted by DragonTora View Post
ur being the "leet" one by letting the internet raise ur children and I would flash the bird to u if i could noob.
Quote: Originally Posted by BarrinMarshal
I know your part of the "Forum Apologist Five" group but stop

merovejec
03.20.2019 , 02:38 PM | #14
Heh dont get the wrong impression guys. I play far less than before. I only logged in to do the necessary stuff. Yes it was a boring run of many Ossus weeklies every week, plus crystal missions and trading UCs. I like to make a plan and follow it, even if it means doing the ossus weekly 10 times after one another. I find fun in it too, try to beat my time etc. a full run could take as much as 10 min.

Sure its not for everyone, but its definitely possible.
Merovejec
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Achievements 5.10 69015

TrixxieTriss
03.20.2019 , 03:16 PM | #15
All I’m aiming for is 252 or 258 main hand on my Alts because MH aren’t affected by Bolster. Everything else bolsters and those other few 252 pieces I’ve got give me less stats if I add them in with bolstered gear, so I don’t wear them in pvp.

Anyone who has been arguing in other threads about not wanting two sets of gear dont realise that they should be using 2 sets of gear already if they don’t have a full set of 252/258. They should have a full bolstered set for pvp and then whatever random 242/248/252/258 mix for everything else.
Mixing the 252/258 items with lower tiered gear will reduce the stats in pvp.
You can essentially wear 230-242 gear with 252/258 MH and be competitive in ranked.

I’m not even bothering to grind gear anymore. If and when I go to Ossus, it’s when my Alts are ready and it’s to do some story and have some fun. I don’t go there to grind gear and I refuse. Since I made that decision, I am less stressed about gearing and don’t hate Ossus like I did because I’m not there everyday on 10 Alts grinding out the same content.

Bioware need to bring back 2 dedicated sets of gear. One for pvpers and one for pve. The only people that benefit from one set are players like Mero who play every bit of pve/pvp content to grind the best gear the fastest. Even if that means playing 24/7 on 10 Alts.

Pvpers deserves their own gear. There is no reason not to have it again.

Lhancelot
03.20.2019 , 03:18 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by merovejec View Post
Heh dont get the wrong impression guys. I play far less than before. I only logged in to do the necessary stuff. Yes it was a boring run of many Ossus weeklies every week, plus crystal missions and trading UCs. I like to make a plan and follow it, even if it means doing the ossus weekly 10 times after one another. I find fun in it too, try to beat my time etc. a full run could take as much as 10 min.

Sure its not for everyone, but its definitely possible.
Reminds me of EQ2, when I did the faction quests I had to run 400-500 times. The worst was I had to zone 4 times each quest run. It was a serious grind but worth it because the faction armors were so unique and cool to wear... I had dark elf plate that was wearable on my casters that did the faction quests! It was awesome...

Anyway, that's the problem here. This Ossus grind doesn't really reward you with anything awesome, not at all. Hard to justify a simple one quest grind over and over and over again when you don't even get something worth the grind.

I will wait and see what they got after Ossus. If they make gearing easier for alts, easier for PVP, make it so I can log in and play any toons and not get punished, I will happily come back and play again.

If they stick to this recipe of game design they began shoveling down our throats for the past 2 years, I will never be able to come back.
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

Mikazen
03.20.2019 , 03:19 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthCasus View Post
'Bolster' has easily climbed the ranks to become my most hated word since kiwi. Don't ask about kiwi.
whats wrong with kiwi?

TrixxieTriss
03.20.2019 , 03:20 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
Reminds me of EQ2, when I did the faction quests I had to run 400-500 times. The worst was I had to zone 4 times each quest run. It was a serious grind but worth it because the faction armors were so unique and cool to wear... I had dark elf plate that was wearable on my casters that did the faction quests! It was awesome...

Anyway, that's the problem here. This Ossus grind doesn't really reward you with anything awesome, not at all. Hard to justify a simple one quest grind over and over and over again when you don't even get something worth the grind.

I will wait and see what they got after Ossus. If they make gearing easier for alts, easier for PVP, make it so I can log in and play any toons and not get punished, I will happily come back and play again.

If they stick to this recipe of game design they began shoveling down our throats for the past 2 years, I will never be able to come back.
Just play like I do. Bolster, Bolster, bolster.

All you really need to do is get a 252 MH and that’s easy enough (atm) doing the 2 world bosses.

TrixxieTriss
03.20.2019 , 03:21 PM | #19
whats wrong with kiwi?
I was wondering the same thing?

Lhancelot
03.20.2019 , 03:27 PM | #20
whats wrong with kiwi?
I don't know about him, but kiwi is the only fruit I got sick eating as a kid, and it took me 35 years to be able to eat it again. I still don't care much for it though and avoid it when at all possible. Maybe he has a similar kiwi story.
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.