Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Hutt Ball type maps pops 2 out of 3 maps constantly

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Hutt Ball type maps pops 2 out of 3 maps constantly
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
02.28.2019 , 09:56 PM | #1
Dear Eric,

This has been complained about since the Vandin map was added in 5.10.
The amount of HB type maps that pop is ridiculous.

The problem has been pointed out in the pvp section in many threads now and we would like some communication between the dev team and the players.
People constantly leave if they pop one or don’t try at all because they are so sick of getting Hutt Ball type maps so much.

I personally loved Hutt Ball, but this is even too much for me. I’m now leaving most times it pops because I’m sick of them. Too much of a good thing can eventually make you come to hate it.

I believe the problem lyes in each map being counted on its own when the queue decides to pop a map.
The issue is there are now 3 Hutt Ball maps out of 9 possible maps. Which means there is a 3 in 9 chance or 1 in 3 chance you will get a Hutt Ball map. This is bad enough because that’s too much, but what makes it worse is it’s not coming out as 1 in 3, the pops more represent as 2 in 3 matches will be Hutt Ball.

Vandin Hutt Ball
Quesh Hutt Ball
Original Hutt Ball
Hypergates
Void Star
Nova Coast
Civil war
Yavin
Odessen Proving grounds

The solution to this has been discussed at length in the pvp section and its been suggested that you could count all Hutt Ball type maps as one. Then the chances of a Hutt Ball match become 1 in 7 matches.

It would work like this. When the queue chooses a HB type map out of the 7 for a pop, it then chooses from one of those 3 maps.

Eric, can you please give this feed back to the dev team and come back with an answer to our concerns about it popping so much.

Kind regards
Trixxie

SteveTheCynic's Avatar


SteveTheCynic
03.01.2019 , 01:25 AM | #2
By that logic, it should be one in six, since Yavin and Civil war differ only in the amount of foliage and snow.
* Yavin/CW
* OHB/QHB/VHB
* Voidstar
* Odessen
* Novare
* Hypergates

I'm not saying that you're wrong, just that if you're going to collapse by underlying map type, it should be for all map types. And it's a good idea.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

Majspuffen's Avatar


Majspuffen
03.01.2019 , 03:42 AM | #3
Strange how everyone says this. I've experienced evenings where I've had no huttball pops at all. To me, it's not really a big issue. I mean, Civil War, Yavin and Novare Coast are basically the same WZs (except the latter has good capping mechanics and the two former have archaic systems taken from World of Warcraft). If we're going to group up all the HB maps under one category we should group up the capture point pvp under one category as well, like the above post already suggested.

Ancient Hypergare and Odessen are also capture point pvp but their design vary enough to warrant their own category. Perhaps something akin to "weird experimental designs". The only WZ that is unique is Voidstar, so if we were to bunch up these in categories we'd probably see more of that WZ (unless you'd put them with Ancient Hypergate and Odessen which, in my opinion, wouldn't be fair as Voidstar isn't really capture point pvp in that sense). Maybe that could serve as an incentive to make more maps akin to Voidstar, which I think would be pretty cool. I always liked the design of Voidstar. Instanced, adventurous pvp. Very fitting for the IP, but I digress. If we categorize HB we should categorize capture point as well.

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
03.01.2019 , 04:12 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
By that logic, it should be one in six, since Yavin and Civil war differ only in the amount of foliage and snow.
* Yavin/CW
* OHB/QHB/VHB
* Voidstar
* Odessen
* Novare
* Hypergates

I'm not saying that you're wrong, just that if you're going to collapse by underlying map type, it should be for all map types. And it's a good idea.
I’ve no problem with them doing that too.

Banderal's Avatar


Banderal
03.02.2019 , 08:58 AM | #5
I too love huttball matches, when they are actually played as huttball matches. It's my favorite kind of map.

But it was already often the case that most people on either team were never playing huttball. They were playing deathmatch, or 1v1. With adding in the Vandin HB map, this seems to have gotten even worse. And, similar to how Trixie describes, I've gotten so that after 1 or 2 matches of HB and then the next one pops, I leave right away, usually just logging out of the game. Because what happens is that the 1 or 2 I stayed in were completely unfun, since no one else was trying to actually play HB. You know, the kind of match where I sit in spawn after dying and watch as the ball sits in the middle and no one touches it. And then I just get disgusted with the whole game at that point.

So I would agree that it would be worth it to put all HB maps into a single lump when rolling the dice.

Personally, I feel that the other maps have just enough different mechanics that it doesn't bother me if they stay separate. But at the same time, I've seen another game that groups their PvP maps into "land grab", "flag games" and "deathmatch". Which is also kinda nice (and they let you pick a category to sign up for, you know, if you want - hint hint ). Maybe CW, NC, Yavin and OPG go under "land grab"; arenas are "deathmatch" (even though they aren't really), and the huttball maps are "flag games". I don't know where VS and AHG would go. Or, of course, come up with more star-wars-related categories.

Slippery When'wet, FistFullOfCandy - SF

Lhancelot's Avatar


Lhancelot
03.02.2019 , 10:10 AM | #6
Allowing players the option of either choosing the maps they participate in or at least allow them to pick choose maps they do not want to participate in would be great. For instance, allowing the player 3 maps they could choose to not be queued for.

When players get maps they do not like, they leave the map. It makes no sense to force a map on players when they simply are going to leave the map as soon as they enter it. This wastes their time as well as the time of players who decide to stay because now their team has less players and they have a higher chance of losing.

Just give people choices already! Being able to have some control over what maps a player plays would solve a ton of problems!
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
I've lost more SWTOR friends to excessive grind than to any other factor! Too many game companies think more grind = more player engagement = more player satisfaction - it doesn't. RNG is lazy, RNG is cheap, RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
03.02.2019 , 03:22 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post

When players get maps they do not like, they leave the map. It makes no sense to force a map on players when they simply are going to leave the map as soon as they enter it. This wastes their time as well as the time of players who decide to stay because now their team has less players and they have a higher chance of losing.
Not only that, but any match making that was done by the queue, is ruined once people start leaving the match.

Zerileth's Avatar


Zerileth
03.02.2019 , 03:49 PM | #8
If anybody's ever seen my posts on pvp huttball, you'd know I hate it. I leave every time now. Hit stronghold, and back to whatever i was doing before, wait about 15 minutes, and go back into queue. I don't want football with pvp. I love all the other maps.

My ideal solution would be to allow us to click off 1 or 2 maps, but I can at least get behind this solution too. Unfortunately, given the fact they can't seem to fix bugs in their game, I'm not holding my breath for any change here.
7.0 Return To Kashyyyk
IGN: "Bioware sees soaring profits with new SWTOR expansion, Return to Kashyyyk."

Khaleg's Avatar


Khaleg
03.02.2019 , 03:59 PM | #9
Yeah annoying...they've said they fixed that but I'd bet my last dime that Hutt is still set up to pop more frequently. The fact that there are even 3 of them makes it even worse...
Nal'augh, guild master "The Conqueror Fleet" - Tulak Hord
Do you want 7 free days of subscription and other freebies? Click here!

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/doubleudude

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
03.02.2019 , 05:39 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Zerileth View Post
If anybody's ever seen my posts on pvp huttball, you'd know I hate it. I leave every time now. Hit stronghold, and back to whatever i was doing before, wait about 15 minutes, and go back into queue. I don't want football with pvp. I love all the other maps.

My ideal solution would be to allow us to click off 1 or 2 maps, but I can at least get behind this solution too. Unfortunately, given the fact they can't seem to fix bugs in their game, I'm not holding my breath for any change here.
Why do you wait 15mins? You are more likely to be put back into the same rotation you were in twitch that team. Just wait one minute