Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Your Thoughts - Arena Maps

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Your Thoughts - Arena Maps
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

View Poll Results: Which Arena Map is your Favorite?
Mandalorian Battle Ring 24 7.72%
Tatooine Canyon 90 28.94%
Orbital Station 45 14.47%
Corellia Square 95 30.55%
Makeb Mesa 37 11.90%
Rishi Cove 20 6.43%
Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Nee-Elder
01.02.2019 , 01:03 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post

For starters, Happy New Year to all of you! At some point, the PvP team is likely to start work on a new Arena map.

Among all of our Arena maps, which one if your favorite?

Happy 2019 to you guys & gals too, Eric!

Anyways, instead of just a new same-ole-same-ole Arena with different planet 'skin' , why not design something truly radical & more dynamic...like...oh i dunno...THIS:

Republic vs. Empire only (to match the upcoming 'Return of Malgus' change in galactic direction) and with player-manable TURRETS and WALKERS. The functionality for both of which is already coded, since manned turrets are used on Iokath dailys and in the 'Collicoid War Games' flashpoint. And walkers are used in the KOTET 'Chapters' (Chapter 7 or 8, iirc ? ) as well as on Iokath dailys AND sometimes as conquest/invasion rewards for the mega-guilds.

These turrets & walkers could be limited per Arena obviously, so as not to become too "OP" for either side at the start....and....have the turrets setup to guard any base 'pylon nodes' , with the walkers being the quickest way to blow up the opposing side's 'shield generator' for said nodes to become vulnerable. (*Think HOTH opening battle in 'Empire Strikes Back' , but on a smaller more time efficient scale)

The map would have to be a bit larger of course, and probably have a more flat-ish center area (or side paths, tactical flanks, etc. ) to support easier movement & advancement of the walkers.

But it could bring about some real content-related excitement for SWTOR in general, rather than just tossing the hardcore PvP'ers another queue to, well, QQ about. And yes i realize this idea is more suited toward 8 vs. 8 warzone, rather than 4 vs. 4 arena , but i proposed it nevertheless.
Never tell me the odds!

menofhorror
01.02.2019 , 01:20 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Batwer View Post
Then they should have listened to the people on the PTS server. That with the mods and enhancements was not announced. Besides, I'm talking about after vacation. They could have said something now ...
And maybe they read it and now discussing it now, who knows. Like seriously, just be patient.
Also maybe they have listened but ultimately disagreed with the people. Not saying that that's good or bad but you could have thought that out by youself.

Sertar
01.02.2019 , 01:37 PM | #13
I've seen comments about knockbacks and LOS, which is a key thing to consider on arena maps. BUT.. this usually balances out! The more levels and structures, the more knockback possibility but also more LOS possibility! I hate getting knocked down as melee, and I hate getting LOSed as range, so I prefer maps with little levels and structures. My ranking is:

BEST
1. Corellia Square
2. Tatooine Canyon
3. Orbital Station
4. Makeb Mesa
5. Rishi Cove
6. Mandalorian Battle Ring
WORST

RACATW
01.02.2019 , 01:40 PM | #14
I feel like some maps focus too much on knockbacks and force pushes being the deciding factor.

Most people probably like Tatooine canyon and Corellia square because they feel the most balanced in every aspect of arena based pvp.

Happy New Year and merry Christmas (although late)

Rion_Starkiller
01.02.2019 , 01:40 PM | #15
Orbital Station is my favorite. I like you can go up high and use KB's on your enemies. I like that you can choose to fight down low next to your spawn in a "defensive" mode. You can snipe people from low or from up high. You can leap to high targets if you're melee because there are few railings or wide areas in the catwalks. You can hide behind objects on the map. Also, partly nostalgia. This map and Tatooine Canyon, Correllia Square are classic swtor pvp!

Least favorite map is Rishi Cove. I strongly dislike the middle area on the ground. The railings of the rope bridge are wonky and cause unseen blockage from movement. Secondly, the upper level is so low that it interferes with camera views. Finally, this map was notoriously buggy and exploitable at its launch, so I still have a bad taste in my mouth for it.
-Beruhl
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Lies have been corrected.

-Wes-
01.02.2019 , 01:48 PM | #16
Nice suggestion, Nee; that would, indeed, be a fun diversion! And, it would lend itself well to the "deathmatch" sort of play where players cannot respawn. I also like the comment about being in range to target other players from the starting area: Corellia seems a little annoying because it is the only arena where we cannot do this, but they should really all be this way.

As for arenas where we all just run out and kill each other, there are really only so many ways of doing that. Perhaps the only thing we don't have at this point is an urban setting. However, once the novelty wore off, I can see a setting like that being the one everyone will love to hate - particularly since buildings are so stoutly made in the SW universe .

But, the best thing you can do for arenas (and warzones in general)? Take gearing out of regs. It has no place there, and most of us who play regs don't give a rat's rear about gear. We're there to have fun on a casual level, and your job as the developers is to enable the enjoyment of your customers. Gear is for ops and ranked: Rewards reflect as much, and the players expect it as part of the "challenge."
Tras
\~~~~~The von Theissenburg Legacy~~~~~/

Referral Link

Syal
01.02.2019 , 02:09 PM | #17
Hey folks,

For starters, Happy New Year to all of you! At some point, the PvP team is likely to start work on a new Arena map. One thing that the team requested is really understanding what each of you like and don't like about the current maps.

Among all of our Arena maps, which one if your favorite?

Please answer that question in this threads poll. Then, let us know in this thread why is that one your favorite? Also, feel free to add which Arena is your least favorite, and why? Be as specific as possible.

Thanks everyone.

-eric
better review the tier 5 gear system before to add new pvp content... if there none to play on it, what interest !
SWTOR since 2012 !
Guild Force Unifie French PVE
The Leviathan

DavidAtkinson
01.02.2019 , 02:16 PM | #18
Happy new year !

I voted Tatooine canyon but I'd say Corellia square is my favorite too for one reason: It has pretty large space with lots of kiting possibilities and doesn't favor classes with pushbacks or ranged classes..

Same goes for tatooine canyon. Kiting around pillars, larger spaced map and as a stealth or mara you have a good chance of healing up and finding good spots to do so.

_Miriya_
01.02.2019 , 03:28 PM | #19
Can't really see the point of adding a new arena. The content in it is always the same: kill each other . Wow, so much content.

blackopsranger
01.02.2019 , 03:37 PM | #20
Mine is rishi cove because its smaller and has essential elements for LOS, knock offs, etc. Least favorite is orbital station because it's to easy for someone to screw their team by getting trapped.
It would be nicer to have the larger ones like corellia be 6v6 or 8v8 but still 1 death.
need more arena in regs queue and less huttball.
the 3 huttball maps come up all the time. Less huttball.
<Tragic Heroes>