Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Status of Tank Classes in PvP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Status of Tank Classes in PvP

MagicTerror
03.30.2019 , 12:22 PM | #21
I really do hate that the only thing that tanks are good for is their taunts in pvp, and skilled players will just do whatever they can to tunnel the weakest player or the tank then anyway.
Threat is a thing for PvE, but it's completely irrelevant in PvP. That needs to change. If a certain high amount of threat would result in the player getting hit by the tank dealing even less damage, maybe the spec would be worth a little more.

steveerkcanjerk
03.31.2019 , 02:43 AM | #22
The tank in pvp is one of the strongest assets on the field in survivabilty and dmg. (we are assuming player skill is evened out)

1. Juggernaut/Guardian - this is without a doubt the best tank for the most part. It has excellent dcds to handle pressure, great utility of aoe snares, aoe stun, intercede, and to top it all of this thing can hit like a truck with 25k+ hits very possible.

2. Assassin - this is a number 2 but the gap is pretty big. The assassin tank is very rng oriented with alright cooldowns but can be easy to pressure and force to stealth out (not in the fight makes it a 3v4 so thats a win) and has decent aoe. Def takes a bit of skill to manage the cooldowns and the dmg is alright.

3. Powertech - is probably in the worst spot (what I play yaaay) due to the nerfs that rolled out. A pt tank compliments a pressure build team well but lacks the dcds to stay up in a longer fight, does not hit has hard or consistently as the other two tanks. I can't tell you how many times the hero engine has not registered dmg to somone in the center of my cleave, that adds up. And if the other team is not grouped toghther for long periods of time you will see your dmg numbers suffer. At least the assassins aoe attacks hit consistently and the jugg is just unrivialed in dmg.

This is of course looking at 4v4. But in the regs really anything goes if you know how to play it and recognize strengths and weaknesses. But if you are an assassin or pt and playing against someone at equal skill lvl on his skank jugg you will see how much of a struggle it is and you will put more pressure on your healer. That jugg can hard swap hard and hit just as hard as any dps, have self heals and the utility to make your life hell. But if you don't plan to jump into arenas any tank goes.
the mandalorians will rise again, we will unite and make the galaxy bow.
choggun mandalorian sniper
dreadshots mandalorian mercanary

KendraP
03.31.2019 , 03:20 AM | #23
Ohhh here we go again... reserving this space for when i inevitably get pissed off.

TehStevo
04.01.2019 , 12:28 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Opaknack View Post
This!!!

Make tank stats great again!
That's implying tank stats were ever good in PvP. I mean they only took 2477 days, from launch in December 2011 to the Game Update 5.9.3, for shields to affect critical hits. That change also doesn't solve the whole fact there's internal/elemental damage.
||STEVO||
PEAR/Sylkie

SushaBrancaleone
04.01.2019 , 03:13 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by mmmbuddah View Post
Which is why guard needs to be locked to tank spec, and its effectiveness and that of taunting should be effected by shield/absorb/defense. If you skank tank, then it should be waaaaaaaaay less effective. THEN and only then would we see them becoming valid again
while I feel this could be towards a solution, I also think that the best way is to change what the scoreboard says:
- gove more importance to medals and not highest value in one field (dps guard etc)
- a single value for the collective value of healed - gaurded - and dmg
- a way to mitigate the numbers of fake dps

- INCLUDING/IMPLEMENTING/SHOWING to any degree the BONUS DMG recieved by ally abilitties
= a good pvp tank spec are some of the bonus boosting and slowing passive effects (shadow tank especially) u can choose. Pure tanks should get a lot less grief if dps whores could 'appreciate' the boost they recieve in regards.

Equeliber
04.01.2019 , 03:36 PM | #26
Jugg is the best while wearing DPS stats as he keeps the most defenses (as he has the strongest DCDs).

SushaBrancaleone
04.01.2019 , 03:53 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Equeliber View Post
Jugg is the best while wearing DPS stats as he keeps the most defenses (as he has the strongest DCDs).
thats offtopic tbh,
eg - I have 2 guardians one dd one tank
the two are two different discussions and as several posts point out a pure tank in 4v4 is rather different than a skank, which btw is no longer as viable after latest patches.