What is the point?

telmeoneagain

What is the point of giving Synthweaving the skill to make Augments when they can not get the materials to craft them? The only way to get the mats is buy them at very high prices and a lot of players do not have that kind of creds to spare. Edited by telmeoneagain

yes but then I would have to drop one of my other gathering skills and not be able to Synthweave I would have to drop Underworld trading as archeology is needed to craft augments.

if augments were made differently from skill to skill and say synthweaving augments needed rare metals or cloth to make instead of slicing only then it would be better for the game.

Also why have Synthweaving go to lvl 55 when at lvl 51 I would have to stop to craft augments? if I wanted to swap back to synthweaving I would be starting Underworld trading at 1 again and that is something I will not do no matter what Bioware do unless they make it so we can swap skills and get them back at the lvl we discarded them.

you mean to say that not one of your characters has the Slicing crewskill?

i have three characters.

all three of them have slicing.

between them, they also have BioChem and Cybertech and all the necessary materials collection skills. i'm forever posting materials or sliced mission discovery sheets back and forth between 'toons.

if anything, I'm tempted to make a Synthweaver myself, purely for the purpose of crafting Augments & kits. the Luxury Fabrics market is swamped with materials (last time I checked).

Edited by dancezwithnubz

(1) Roll a new character in a class you may be tempted to level further later on

(2) Level that character to 16 (about a day)

(3) Use your new ship with it's storage to travel to the space station with your 2 companions

(4) Select 3 different crew skills

(5) Send companions on missions or crafting

(6) Repeat 1 to 5 until you have every possible crew crafting skill and various gathering skills.

(7) Join the rest of the community in advising people to create alts as crafting has no level cap and you need multiple characters to get what you need unless you buy from the GTN.

But to answer you main question, Synthweaving What is the point?

The answer is not much at the moment. Unless you are hell bent on crafting your own green or blue gear as you level other crafting skills are better value. Just buying the recipes as you level it will cost you close to 500k. The materials you will need take a lot of missions or gathering. Then you have the various extra costs for items needed when crafting anything. The augments are a bonus but pretty much everything else is a money sink and you can do better with other skills.

For value for money most people pick Biochem, Bioanalysis and Diplomacy. Craft your own reusable stims, medpacks and stat boosts. Saves you a fortune at higher levels.

Then for money making now days it's Cybertec, scavaging, slicing. That's for all your mods and armourings you will need for all that cartel orange gear everyone wears (it's also why people don't buy much synthweaving crafted items).

I could go on but you get the idea. At this stage of the game the skills to make your own green,blue,purple armour and weapons are money sinks with only the augments these skills have making it tempting at all. So just buy the augments from all the money you make from gathering and cybertec, that is until you have a lot of money and won't miss the odd million.

Sometimes, in order to craft the bestest stuff, you are going to have to work with others.

Or make an alt.

This^

Armormech and Armstech (the two other skills that craft augments) have the same "problem."

My first character was and still is a synthweaver (19 months and counting). I took Arch and UWT to feed SW to craft gear. Then I discovered augments. At first I bought the sliced parts needed off the GTM, but I ended up making a second character. He was and still is an armormech. Since UWT on my SW covered the advanced materials in AM as well, I went with Scavenging and Slicing. Two characters that could craft gear and augments for each other...perfect :).

The answer is not much at the moment. Unless you are hell bent on crafting your own green or blue gear as you level other crafting skills are better value. Just buying the recipes as you level it will cost you close to 500k. The materials you will need take a lot of missions or gathering. Then you have the various extra costs for items needed when crafting anything. The augments are a bonus but pretty much everything else is a money sink and you can do better with other skills.

For value for money most people pick Biochem, Bioanalysis and Diplomacy. Craft your own reusable stims, medpacks and stat boosts. Saves you a fortune at higher levels.

Then for money making now days it's Cybertec, scavaging, slicing. That's for all your mods and armourings you will need for all that cartel orange gear everyone wears (it's also why people don't buy much synthweaving crafted items).

I could go on but you get the idea. At this stage of the game the skills to make your own green,blue,purple armour and weapons are money sinks with only the augments these skills have making it tempting at all. So just buy the augments from all the money you make from gathering and cybertec, that is until you have a lot of money and won't miss the odd million.

It can be a pain at times, but personally, I've maid a couple hundred million off of Synthweaving.

Must admit I too made a lot of money of Synthweaving and I am sure I still could do ok as I have hundreds or recipes including 95% of all the orange schematics. But it's slow going now days and I would not recommend anyone else spending the time and money to learn it, not with nearly everyone wearing Cartel armour.

It's quite a smart move in my opinion to keep Augments and the other part of the Craftingskill split up. Like this you get motivated to either roll an Alt (and logically spend more time playing their game and seeing more of their content) or promote the economy. Either way you'll have to pick between Slicing and Underworld trading unless you have alts.

My advice:

I'd highly recommend taking Slicing over Underworld trading unless you have an alt available. With the competition with the CM and Cybertech I don't find Synthweaving 'that' great anymore except for Augments, when I make an exception I can usually find the Fabrics very cheap on the GTN (this is server dependant, might want to check before swapping.) That being said, I do find Synthweaving profitable still, just like many other crewskills, you just have to find the market for it. Having (way too) many alts I easily gather and craft, but even with one crafting it can be profitable enough depending on your desires. Though like mentioned above, if you have any interest in an alt, make an alt to have both crewskills (low-level Underworld Metals are something I wouldn't easily stop selling.)

The set of Augments Synthweaving has are quite good. The force-users main-stat explains itself, Force-users are generally vastly popular due to the franchise mainly being based on them and everyone needs Augments for End-game, often main-stat is the preferred choice. The Defence Augments are easily underrated, but definitely not bad, especially for Guardians/Juggernauts who require high Defence but their Commendation gear mainly sports Absorb.

A little consolation. Leveling Slicing is time consuming but hardly ever a loss. Lockbox missions generally return about the same as they cost and when they crit most mission discoveries sell for atleast 1k (often higher) to compensate for any loss made. The Sliced Tech Parts are once again underrated (imo) but some low-level Augments sell suprisingly well, though I personally really wonder why. (Might be a PvP-server thing?)

I've leveled about 14 Slicers (yes I likely went over the top, but I find that usually the Slicing Purples are more expensive than the other Purples resulting into only having 1 copy of each other Mission Crewskill) and never made a loss even though when I run Sliced Tech Part missions (before grade 9) I give the returns to my boyfriend who makes money with the low-level Augments where-as I hardly craft something I wouldn't use myself. I mainly focus on Lockboxes though since they're quicker and discoveries sell surprisingly fast.

this guy said Cybertec, scavaging and slicing whys that if I am not mistaking you can only make green mods and

armourings not blues

this guy said Cybertec, scavaging and slicing whys that if I am not mistaking you can only make green mods and

armourings not blues

Like with hilts from artifice, barrels from armstech, or augments from the other professions, you can reverse engineer the green mods and armorings to learn a blue version. You can then reverse engineer the blue version to get purple quality mods and armorings.

Further, for some of the lower end game mods and armorings, you can reverse engineer to have a chance to learn those. I think the 30 and 31 level things can be reverse engineered currently.

Like with hilts from artifice, barrels from armstech, or augments from the other professions, you can reverse engineer the green mods and armorings to learn a blue version. You can then reverse engineer the blue version to get purple quality mods and armorings.

Further, for some of the lower end game mods and armorings, you can reverse engineer to have a chance to learn those. I think the 30 and 31 level things can be reverse engineered currently.

At everything apart from when you get to max level the blue recipes you learn from reverse engineering the greens you have crafted are better value. The differences between Blue and purple items are often pretty small, for augments I believe it is only 1 or 2 points to every stat, so almost nothing. The purple materials you need to craft purple items are almost always pretty expensive to buy or difficult to get yourself. The one exception to this is the cloths for Underworld trading used in synthweaving recipes. These are often dumped on the GTN at very low prices. People have far to many of them as you get them at the same time as the metals that are in high demand from running underworld trading missions (not the normal ones but the one time use missions).

• 1 year later...
(1) Roll a new character in a class you may be tempted to level further later on

(2) Level that character to 16 (about a day)

(3) Use your new ship with it's storage to travel to the space station with your 2 companions

(4) Select 3 different crew skills

(5) Send companions on missions or crafting

(6) Repeat 1 to 5 until you have every possible crew crafting skill and various gathering skills.

(7) Join the rest of the community in advising people to create alts as crafting has no level cap and you need multiple characters to get what you need unless you buy from the GTN.

With only having 2 companions it would take a long time to level the crew skills up.

With only having 2 companions it would take a long time to level the crew skills up.

Then don't worry about it. You're talking to people with many different toons apiece. Many of us have at least one toon for every crafting skill and multiple toons with the same gathering and mission skills. Mats are not a problem. Schematics are not a problem because somewhere in this mix they all drop and get sent back and forth between toons by mail.

Your perspective is different, of course. Depending on how you evolve in playing the game it may change, but right now, indeed, Synthweaving makes no sense. But we didn't know that originally. There's not anything wrong with what you are doing or your perspective, but you have to realize many people are playing the game much differently than you are. Crafting can be a rewarding experience for those who get into it. Some players don;t like it at all, and that's okay, too.

It does, but I did it on my alt account and some of them still only have their starter companion, but they all have 3 gathering skills at 500. I just log them in to gather as I play on my main account. When I get bored or whatever I play the alts class story missions for the ones that need more companions and therefore get more materials out of them.

Unless you level up you will only be able to send so many companions out, anyway.

Yeah, it may be slow going, but it's going.

You want sliced components? Run those slicing missions and get them.

Set up a mission when you log on, claim those rewards and set up more missions when you log off, and maybe run another mission or two somewhere in between when you are changing toons or checking on others to set up missions for them.

They will start to stack up, especially if that is all that you are doing with that character.

I know this is a bit off topic but I've asked everyone with no straight answer. A while back, I noticed an orange moddable version of the warriors vest item you receive from Baras. I cant find any info on it nor find it on the GTN. Im not speaking of the Blade Tyrant/Storm items. Anyone have a clue as to the name of the schem or item??? Edited by Arma_Dolus

I know this is a bit off topic but I've asked everyone with no straight answer. A while back, I noticed an orange moddable version of the warriors vest item you receive from Baras. I cant find any info on it nor find it on the GTN. Im not speaking of the Blade Tyrant/Storm items. Anyone have a clue as to the name of the schem or item???

I would look here http://tor-fashion.com/sith-warrior/ -- it should have all the orange Sith Warrior outfits, and when you look at the chest you want, there should be a list of similar (orange) ones.