Star wars 3d 4th for weekend

keiklo

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Resorting to ad hominem arguments already? Pity.

love how you avoid the point.

Ok, I'll apologize.

I'm sorry I'm not as dick hard about plinkett's comical reviews as everyone else, sorry for pointing out that he doesn't really hold any good arguments and all of his points are very biased.

You guys are confusing as hell, someone judges his review and you say "they're only supposed to be comedy, don't take them so seriously!" but then you bombard the forums every time anybody mentions they like even a scene from the prequels as if it needs to be seriously considered.

Sorry I insulted your comedy ultra brilliant god plinkett, i will never say anything bad about him. He is the most brilliant film critic/maker of all time and has every right to call Lucas a poor film maker.

If you don't like the prequels that's perfectly ok, but there's plenty of people who do and it's bs that you guys feel the need to come raining down on them every time they mention it.

Oh and btw, obiwan and vader's fight sucked in ANH. It was slow, sluggish, and extremely boring, I don't care how "deep" or "emotional" it was - I don't look to sci-fi's for that ****, I look to dramas.

love how you avoid the point.

Ok, I'll apologize.

Your point was an ad hominem attack, so I didn't feel any need to address it.

I'm sorry I'm not as dick hard about plinkett's comical reviews as everyone else, sorry for pointing out that he doesn't really hold any good arguments and all of his points are very biased.

Appeals to emotion and generalizing make poor arguments. Also, to say that his points are "very biased" is itself redundant. Of course they're biased, since movie reviews are by nature subjective. That still doesn't change the fact that he brought up valid criticisms. If you have a problem with some of his points, bring them up and address them.

You guys are confusing as hell, someone judges his review and you say "they're only supposed to be comedy, don't take them so seriously!" but then you bombard the forums every time anybody mentions they like even a scene from the prequels as if it needs to be seriously considered.

I never said that the reviews weren't to be taken seriously and neither have most of the people here who've agreed with them. You're now using the fallacious strawman argument. I could care less if anyone liked the PT films or any part of them. I am addressing attempts to defend them as good films in a forum. If you can't handle that, you can always leave the conversation.

Sorry I insulted your comedy ultra brilliant god plinkett, i will never say anything bad about him. He is the most brilliant film critic/maker of all time and has every right to call Lucas a poor film maker.

Another appeal to emotion. It seems like this subject hit your buttons and thus your ability to argue.

If you don't like the prequels that's perfectly ok, but there's plenty of people who do and it's bs that you guys feel the need to come raining down on them every time they mention it.

Appeal to emotion #3. Hand-wringing is really a poor way to debate anything, you know.

Oh and btw, obiwan and vader's fight sucked in ANH. It was slow, sluggish, and extremely boring, I don't care how "deep" or "emotional" it was - I don't look to sci-fi's for that ****, I look to dramas.

So you're admitting here that you basically look for action in films you watch? Also, why do you assume that sci-fi films can't have emotion or depth? I'll list some sci-fi films that you likely haven't seen if you think that:

Blade Runner

Solaris (2002)

Deep Impact

Robocop

12 Monkeys

The Fifth Element

Bicentennial Man

A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Planet of the Apes (1968)

28 Days Later

Minority Report

War of the Worlds (2005)

Serenity

WALL-E

Your point was an ad hominem attack, so I didn't feel any need to address it.

Appeals to emotion and generalizing make poor arguments. Also, to say that his points are "very biased" is itself redundant. Of course they're biased, since movie reviews are by nature subjective. That still doesn't change the fact that he brought up valid criticisms. If you have a problem with some of his points, bring them up and address them.

I could strip apart the entire review, but unfortunately I don't get paid for that nor do I have the time. Off the top of my head? The point of TPM not having a main character when the story obviously follows Qui Gon Jinn settling the Naboo conflict. Not being able to describe the characters:

Qui Gonn: Very centered and trusts his instincts even if it means defying his own masters. Qui Gonn meditating before going back into the duel with Maul, to me, was a great display of his character and something we've never seen any other Jedi do. Yes, all jedi are guardians of peace but I feel this much more with Qui Gonn and he seems more "liberal" than most Jedi. Even Yoda seems to have a shorter fuse than Qui Gonn.

Obi-Wan: Is a snob and I think we do see him progress into the more centered, accepting character we see in ANH. We see him in TPM to not wanting to deal with Anakin, to pushing himself into trying to fulfill Qui Gonn's wishes. In the episode 2 review it is implied that Obi-Wan is still annoyed by Anakin, but to me it came off more as "tough love".

I never said that the reviews weren't to be taken seriously and neither have most of the people here who've agreed with them. You're now using the fallacious strawman argument. I could care less if anyone liked the PT films or any part of them. I am addressing attempts to defend them as good films in a forum. If you can't handle that, you can always leave the conversation.

This I will apologize for, however, it has been said a couple of times in this thread(and others) whenever I said anything negative about those videos. I apologize for directing this at you.

So you're admitting here that you basically look for action in films you watch? Also, why do you assume that sci-fi films can't have emotion or depth? I'll list some sci-fi films that you likely haven't seen if you think that:

Blade Runner

Solaris (2002)

Deep Impact

Robocop

12 Monkeys

The Fifth Element

Bicentennial Man

A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Planet of the Apes (1968)

28 Days Later

Minority Report

War of the Worlds (2005)

Serenity

WALL-E

That's not what I said, I said sci-fi. Emotional depth to action/sci-fi movies are just a bonus. The original trilogy may be emotional but none of it is relateable which is continuously implied in Plinketts review(s). Can you honestly say that you relate to Luke? Were you once a farm boy who wanted to become a jedi? Yeah, there may be SOME connection to it, a very vague one like being a farm boy and wanting to become a police officer or maybe something else that's similar. (sorry, first scenario that comes to mind).

Most people goes to see those movies for one of two reasons: To see something visually stunning(including action sequences) or something that gets the wheels turning, if it has emotional depth then great! But that's not the core of sci-fi. If you want emotional depth or something you can relate to do you really think any Star Wars movie even comes close to movies like American History X?

I'd be willing to bet that people who saw the trailer for the first Star Wars didn't want to go see it because it had "emotional depth" but because it looked like it had pretty awesome special effects - The awesome storyline was just an extra bonus. When you see a trailer for a movie like say Precious, then yes, that's meant for emotional depth. If you go to see a movie like that and it fails to deliver then it's a terrible movie for its genre - The prequel trilogy is actually really decent sci-fi/action films, maybe the story wasn't as interesting as the OT but it still did it's job at serving its core, basic genre.

Edit: and my apologies are truely sincere for what I've said in my previous post and I cannot stress any more how sorry I am for insulting your intelligence with that kind of immaturity.

Edited by AbelMorvant

Read that part in red again, because you misunderstood what the OP was saying before you wrote it. The OP was talking about how the 4 films helped make this past weekend the biggest in a long time for a *February* in terms of box office revenue. There have been plenty of films that have had individually bigger opening weekends than any of those 4 films. Just look last year's summer blockbuster film openings.

you Just Quoted the OP ******* seriously do you people even read before you replie or do you just start typing mindlessly, also no this was the first time since Xmas 2008 that ANY FILM grossed 20mil in an opening weekend, not ony did 1 film do it but 4 movies broke that record, on turn making it the highest grossing non holiday weekend for february ever.

I'm interested to see what people think of this as I personally wasn't planning on seeing it as apparently from what I have heard the 3D isn't that great and really it is just and excuse to pay George even more money than he already has.

I would be tempted to watch it however if the film was available to watch in iMax but from what I have seen I do not think it is available to watch.

I'm interested to see what people think of this as I personally wasn't planning on seeing it as apparently from what I have heard the 3D isn't that great and really it is just and excuse to pay George even more money than he already has.

I would be tempted to watch it however if the film was available to watch in iMax but from what I have seen I do not think it is available to watch.

It is in select Imax 3D theaters, the 3d is damn impressive unles your comparing it to something that was visioned, shot and released in 3D, this is retrospective 3d and make the film much more realistic and immersive. People tht say they didnt notice have on their fanboi blinders finding any reason to complain about the PT

TPM is one of the best Star Wars movies. Empire>Jedi>TPM>RotS>AotC>ANH

Liam Neeson was amazing, Darth Maul was amazing, Ewan McGreggor was good too.

The pod race shoudl have been shorter or completely omitted, the midiclorien thing was dumb, and jar jar had a wee bit too much dialouge, but other than that it was a good film.

you Just Quoted the OP ******* seriously do you people even read before you replie or do you just start typing mindlessly, also no this was the first time since Xmas 2008 that ANY FILM grossed 20mil in an opening weekend, not ony did 1 film do it but 4 movies broke that record, on turn making it the highest grossing non holiday weekend for february ever.

"Any film"? Underworld Awakening cracked $25M in its opening weekend (Jan.20-22 of this year), and that's just one example. You have no idea what you're talking about.

I could strip apart the entire review, but unfortunately I don't get paid for that nor do I have the time. Off the top of my head? The point of TPM not having a main character when the story obviously follows Qui Gon Jinn settling the Naboo conflict. Not being able to describe the characters:

You could make an argument that it was following Obi-Wan or Anakin. Also, Qui Gonn being killed off implies that he was never anything more than a supporting player in the story.

Qui Gonn: Very centered and trusts his instincts even if it means defying his own masters. Qui Gonn meditating before going back into the duel with Maul, to me, was a great display of his character and something we've never seen any other Jedi do. Yes, all jedi are guardians of peace but I feel this much more with Qui Gonn and he seems more "liberal" than most Jedi. Even Yoda seems to have a shorter fuse than Qui Gonn.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say "centered". Does that mean "self-centered", "grounded", etc? Also, Qui Gonn meditating doesn't display character any more than a runner does when stretching before a race. Lastly, you say that it's something we've never seen any Jedi do, but in ESB Yoda's training of Luke includes the idea of clearing his mind of thought to be at peace when connecting to the Force. Yoda himself meditates at times in the PT films. Finally, what does "liberal" mean with regards to how Qui Gonn behaves? He helps save a queen, cheats at gambling, and uses mind tricks to get what he wants. How is that "liberal"?

Obi-Wan: Is a snob and I think we do see him progress into the more centered, accepting character we see in ANH. We see him in TPM to not wanting to deal with Anakin, to pushing himself into trying to fulfill Qui Gonn's wishes. In the episode 2 review it is implied that Obi-Wan is still annoyed by Anakin, but to me it came off more as "tough love".

This is one of the biggest problems I had with TPM. For me, Qui Gonn was a completely unnecessary character to begin with, and moreover, some of his actions should have been done by Obi-Wan, such as defying the Jedi Council to train Anakin. The film basically paints the training of Anakin as a chore that Obi-Wan took on as a favor to his dying master, which goes against what he told Luke later in ANH.

That's not what I said, I said sci-fi. Emotional depth to action/sci-fi movies are just a bonus. The original trilogy may be emotional but none of it is relateable which is continuously implied in Plinketts review(s). Can you honestly say that you relate to Luke? Were you once a farm boy who wanted to become a jedi? Yeah, there may be SOME connection to it, a very vague one like being a farm boy and wanting to become a police officer or maybe something else that's similar. (sorry, first scenario that comes to mind).

Anyone who ever had ambition could relate to Luke's plight in ANH. Any high school kid working the fryer in a fast food restaurant while dreaming of becoming a doctor or a fighter pilot could relate to this. To say that depth to sci-fi films is "just a bonus" confirms for me further that you need to expand your horizons. Go and watch some of the films I listed in my previous post to see how sci-fi as a genre isn't limited or even necessarily tied in to action scenes.

Most people goes to see those movies for one of two reasons: To see something visually stunning(including action sequences) or something that gets the wheels turning, if it has emotional depth then great! But that's not the core of sci-fi. If you want emotional depth or something you can relate to do you really think any Star Wars movie even comes close to movies like American History X?

I didn't say that the Star Wars films were cinematic masterpieces, but the OT at least did have elements common to good flicks, like characters we can relate to and a well-told story.

I'd be willing to bet that people who saw the trailer for the first Star Wars didn't want to go see it because it had "emotional depth" but because it looked like it had pretty awesome special effects - The awesome storyline was just an extra bonus. When you see a trailer for a movie like say Precious, then yes, that's meant for emotional depth. If you go to see a movie like that and it fails to deliver then it's a terrible movie for its genre - The prequel trilogy is actually really decent sci-fi/action films, maybe the story wasn't as interesting as the OT but it still did it's job at serving its core, basic genre.

There is no denying that Lucas is good at putting eye candy into his films. The real pity is that he didn't have someone else handling the aspects of character development, story writing, and dialogue. This is one of the big criticisms of Lucas: he is not nearly as willing to collaborate with others in the creative process of filmmaking as he was when he first made ANH.

Edit: and my apologies are truely sincere for what I've said in my previous post and I cannot stress any more how sorry I am for insulting your intelligence with that kind of immaturity.

No worries- when I tell people to use critical thinking, it's to help them gain a better understanding, of anything really.

Can you honestly say that you relate to Luke? Were you once a farm boy who wanted to become a jedi? Yeah, there may be SOME connection to it, a very vague one like being a farm boy and wanting to become a police officer or maybe something else that's similar. (sorry, first scenario that comes to mind).

No one who would ever day they relate to Luke is saying so because of the literal background of the character. Its a metaphor. Luke leaving home represents anyone who has to leave home, with little experience in the world. The farm boy goes to the big city. The students goes off to college. Etc. Anyone who dreams of something more than what they have. It kind of the most timeless, and easily relatable, story element.

if it has emotional depth then great! But that's not the core of sci-fi

I don't think you have the gravitas to speak for an entire genre. Thank you very much.

Edited by kutulhu

The original (New hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi) are and always will be the best with the exception of the remastered versions. Lucas should be hung by his ********s and fed to a rancor for those. Jar Jar killed I and II. II mainly b/c i was still bitter about ep one. Of the prequels III was the best but still way short of the originals. Edited by sfatmedic

Put it into the proper perspective: this is a 3D re-release that got its butt kicked by a critically-panned *romance* film. Romance, as in that genre that typically grosses less than just about any other outside of indie art-house films. I imagine the reason that Lucas picked this month was to avoid competition from summer films that would likely bury his film.

It was Valentine weekend, the wife drug me to that film "The Vow", and it was packed to the upper decks . No film could have beaten out a "chick flick" on Valentines weekend.

Continue to hate Star Wars and Lucas while lining his pockets by playing this game.

Also plz respond with your usuall insult while hiding behind your monitor, mabey one day your sack will drop, you'll man up and act like a tough guy in real life.

It was Valentine weekend, the wife drug me to that film "The Vow", and it was packed to the upper decks . No film could have beaten out a "chick flick" on Valentines weekend.

Continue to hate Star Wars and Lucas while lining his pockets by playing this game.

Also plz respond with your usuall insult while hiding behind your monitor, mabey one day your sack will drop, you'll man up and act like a tough guy in real life.

Internet tough guys: always great for a laugh. I also find it hard to believe that you're married.

Oh, and as to your argument that no film could have beaten out a "chick flick" on a Valentine's Day weekend:

The box office results for the February 13-15 weekend of 2009

Notice which film is at the top of the list, more than doubling the take of the chick flick listed under it?

Oh, and look at the totals for the year before that.

It's nice to know what one is talking about before one posts stuff in a forum that others can read.

Edited by RagnarokJC