Defensive stats, is there a point?

eVentHoriZn

So my guild has been combat logging for a while, and I usually don't look at them cuz my Jugg-tank dps is pretty pathetic. But I was looking over a random log we did for LI HM. Noticed I only absorbed about 6% of the incoming damage.

Thought that was a bit odd, so I looked at one of our EC HM runs. Same, I absorbed roughly 6% of the damage thru the raid. Looked at our other tank (powertech), and he absorbed about 6% too.

Is this a bug, or is shield/absorb just completely useless?

Juggernaut tank: 27%def, 52%shield, 49%abs, 27k stim/buffed

Is this a bug, or is shield/absorb just completely useless?

You're misreading your combat log. The Absorb that is listed is Damage Absorbed through Blade/Sonic Barrier, not damage mitigated through Shield effects. In the combat logger, "Absorb" refers to damage eaten by ablative mechanics (the Jugg/Guard absorb shield, Sorc/Sage shield, Smug/Agent personal shield).

Oh good lol, was really hoping it was something like that.

Is there any way to see how much damage I shield?

no that I;m aware off. annoying a bit.

You can set in game numbers on hits you get to be shown, all small numbers, are shielded ones.

Very few combat loggers parse out this data, but the logs do show defensive stats activating on individual boss abilities. So, technically it is possible for a combat logger to tell you approximately how much damage you dodged or shielded. If you want to dig out this information yourself (which is something I do quite often), you need to look for two things:

• Abilities that have 0 damage with an annotation like -dodge or -miss. This is defense chance activating
  • Abilities that have less damage than usual with an annotation like -glance. This is shield chance activating

Find instances of those same abilities that don't have these annotations and divide by (1 - (<damage redux> / 100)). That is the pre-mitigation damage value of that ability. That will give you the exact value (in DtPS) of each individual -dodge or -glance instance. It's a pretty manual process, but it does give you the information you're looking for.

Edited by KeyboardNinja

• 2 weeks later...