Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why a 1.0 Player is Finally Leaving.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
Why a 1.0 Player is Finally Leaving.

Yamahara
08.04.2019 , 02:18 PM | #41
Sometimes it's good to take long breaks from the game. I started playing at launch( also did beta), and I've taken more than a few breaks that have lasted from 2-10 months. It's nice to get away to refresh your enjoyment for swtor. You're 100% right on SWTOR lacking compared to other games though.
Lukewarm Tauntauns

Sarova
08.08.2019 , 03:52 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Yamahara View Post
Sometimes it's good to take long breaks from the game. I started playing at launch( also did beta), and I've taken more than a few breaks that have lasted from 2-10 months. It's nice to get away to refresh your enjoyment for swtor. You're 100% right on SWTOR lacking compared to other games though.
I too played swtor beta and from launch then I took a break for a long while. I returned just before KOTFE launched - I'd been a WoW player for years wow started to cater for a different crowd and went downhill hence my return to swtor.

Unfortunately, there are too many things wrong in swtor that remain unfixed and/or ignored. I just re-subbed WoW so I could access the WoW Classic stress test that's running today & tomorrow. I'd forgotten how brilliant a game could be; in just a couple of hours I am hooked on old WoW again. I immediately resubbed my WoW accounts for 6 months each as WoW Classic will definitely hold my interest. As an example of the difference, the wow team identified an issue just now, did a server downtime to fix it and were back up in around 5 minutes. And that's just the stress test!

Just taking a break from swtor is not going to fix my problems with it. As someone else said, I play because it gives me the opportunity to be part of the Star Wars universe. It really bothers me that some excellent feedback from players (on the PTS and on the forums) is just ignored. I'm afraid swtor 6.0 (Onslaught) is going to have to be spectacular to keep my interest (and keep me paying). Fingers crossed.

Dasty, Spuds & Trixie, you're all awesome but my sensible brain just won't let me stay subbed to read your posts!
Iokath Needs Customised Quinns - Make it Happen || Quinn Treats™
Add an option to switch off vendor icons
My Rishi
Magical Clicky Link

Lhancelot
08.20.2019 , 10:19 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
I forget where I read it, but one of the most major issues is with something BioWare hasn't come right out and stated, but apparently believe internally:

They are perfectly ok having a business model where players take a break and then come back.

I can't remember where I read it, but I remember reading that this was an official BioWare/EA mindset regarding the game.

And without outwardly stating that, it leads to a disconnect, where players don't want to take that break, but instead want content to keep them here, but the developers are ok with players leaving, counting on them to come back when major updates occur.

Can't say I agree with the BioWare business model, but if their hands are tied, not much can be done. The thing with Final Fantasy and ESO is they are run by the companies that own the product. In SWTOR's case, EA is the owner, BioWare is the producer - so BioWare doesn't have the freedom to scale up production like the other 2 entities do.
Honestly I think funding (or lack of) for this game dictates what stance they take openly regarding player retention. I mean, what are they supposed to say?
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

Galdeus
08.23.2019 , 11:11 PM | #44
I'm definitely on the opposite end of the spectrum. I recently (within the past few days) resubbed to SWTOR after being away for 8 years. The last time i played was when level 50 was the cap. (pre-Hutt Cartel Expansion) I resubbed because I was getting that KoToR itch and since KoToR 3 doesn't exist resubbing and playing SWTOR was the next best thing. I'm currently in love with the game again after 8 years.

This is also due to be being primarily a FFXIV player. It's been my mainstay MMO (still is) since the Heavensward expansion launched. I Decided to come back to SWTOR because I finished the Shadowbringers Story and have nearly every class at max level so I was thinking of another side-mmo to come back to until the Story for FFXIV continues. I've been able to decide that during FFXIV lulls (every mmo has them) I'll still be playing SWTOR. I'm also excited for the new expansion story.

Since I've seen it brought up several times, and not just in this thread about how part of SWTOR's business model is them wanting players to take breaks. SE actually has the exact same mindset. The lead Developer Naoki Yoshida has said in interviews that he wants players to take breaks from the game and play other games. Obviously this mind-set is spreading to other MMO's as well. I just don't think, that in this day and age companies really want people to just brute force 1 MMO and 1 MMO only, because they will never be able to put out the level of content to satisfy those types of players. It's also the reason I play Multiple MMO's.

Whether that's a good direction for a MMO like SWTOR to take...who knows honestly. I've been away for too long and have way too much to do in this game now to make that call. Just wanted to throw my experience into the mix. Cheers.