Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR Classic, would you play? resub for this?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
SWTOR Classic, would you play? resub for this?

ForfiniteStories
09.16.2019 , 03:50 PM | #11
Yes, so I wouldn't have to worry about any gear or achievement bantha fodder. I'd play retail SWTOR for new story, outfit designer, and GSF and stick to Classic for everything else.

Pirana
09.16.2019 , 04:06 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
Except when it comes to EQ1 classic. I remember it as fun, challenging, and just awesome in general. I went back to it after many years, and it's still exactly as i remembered it!

The only problem is, you can only do repeatable content so much before you get bored with it.
I hear ya. I remember SWG as being a complete blast. It's still my favorite mmo for a number of reasons, but as you mentioned in your last line, there's only so much you can do before it gets boring. I have a good friend that got me in to SWG, who to this day still plays EQ1... He tried to go back to WOW vanilla and got bored real quick and he's back to EQ1

The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination

Delta_V
09.16.2019 , 04:08 PM | #13
No, because the QoL features were absolute garbage at launch compared to where we are now. How many people here remember what the travel system was even like at launch?
  • Quick Travel had something like a 30 minute cooldown, so you always had to consider if it was worth using at the moment
  • Taxis weren't unlocked by default. You had to manually travel to each terminal before you were able to use it
  • You didn't get Speeder Piloting until level 25
  • You didn't even get Sprint until level 10

End result was that you had to walk, not run, but walk through the entirety of your starter planet. Once you were level 10, you were then able to run across the entire maps of Coruscant/Dromund Kaas, Taris/Balmorra, and Nar Shaddaa. You finally got a speeder around the time you got to Tatooine, but even then, Speeder Piloting 1 didn't used to have any damage resistance at all - taking *any* damage from *any* enemy knocked you off your speeder.
Satele Shan - The Shepard Legacy
Sibbel - Sentinel Ethmandel - Commando
Shayar'a - Guardian Nassan'a - Sage
Issmenna - Gunslinger ]Shalla - Sniper

albeva
09.16.2019 , 05:13 PM | #14
If we are talking strictly 1.0 release - then no. Game content was far too limited, many aspects unfinished. With very little to do once finished class story.

However what I would love to see is return to game design philosophy that defined pre 4.0 era. Several people here pointed out quality of life improvements - in my opinion they are double edged swords. Some have been very beneficial to the game with no negative consequences while others ... have utterly ruined the game.

Travelling options: on one hand it is NICE and HANDY being able to get to any part of the game in minutes at any time. Makes everything convenient. However the same QoL features have irrevocably ruined the in game universe and reduced it to little more than a shopping parade. Planets and the universe no longer have any scope, getting places is no longer a journey, no sense of accomplishment in being able to unlock all quick travel points or flight masters. I haven't used my personal star ship in YEARS for anything other thin pickup next purple mission.

Back in the day unlocking first speeder was awesome - it was an accomplishment and made a huge difference. Now people get mounts left and right, heck even speeder piloting drops right off the bat the moment you turn level 10 I think.

Levelling is way too easy. It has turned a dangerous environment into solo arcade. To do whole class story you never once need to upgrade your gear from white trash you start with. There is very little danger, no need to group up or interact with anyone. It is now a solo game with even flashpoints turned into solo-able experiences.

Bioware has effectively taken sense of community, danger, accomplishment out of the game. Rewards that used to be intrinsic - stuff you had to put time and effort into have been replaced with quick extrinsic rewards shower that for the most part feel utterly meaningless.

Reality is that we like - no crave having things easy. Easy gear BiS for everyone, mounts for everyone, quick levelling for everyone, solo flashpoints, etc tec.. Because anything that contravenes that ease - means having to put in time and effort. Reality is that we like the IDEA of quick easy rewards, but when we get them generally they have no meaning. Throwaway. Easily tossed aside and forgotten.

Anyway point of this rant is I think Bioware made a mistake by listening to whiners, it was a mistake simplifying the game to the point it is now. So yes I would love to see game made harder, make me work for things - not lottery RNG mind you, that is not meaningful work, that is just tedious bore.

MadDutchman
09.16.2019 , 07:13 PM | #15
If it came with a temporary memory erase serum so I could experience it for the first time again? maybe.

Otherwise, hell no.
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

Twicepolar
09.16.2019 , 07:18 PM | #16
nope.

Damask_Rose
09.16.2019 , 08:16 PM | #17
I would like a fusion of now and then. There are some QoL additions I'm very fond of, and some of the pre-FE/ET story I quite like, but the gameplay as a whole was better in the early days.

ZeroTypeR
09.16.2019 , 08:20 PM | #18
That would depend: If we're talking 1.0 - 2.0 and backwards, then no. If we're talking 3.0 and backwards, then yes I gladly would.

Edit: Of course I already sub, and will continue to do so, for now. The question at this point is, would I pay a little extra to make a classic 3.0 and backwards server available? Yes; not much mind you, as this was content that was already available before the 'changes'. I would however, donate $20.

Rolodome
09.16.2019 , 08:42 PM | #19
We're still pretty much playing SWTOR "classic," imo. Not that much has changed.

So no. SWTOR "classic" was a botched mess mixed in with some good parts and they've fixed some of the botched mess parts over the years. I'd patron it up for them fixing more of the fundamental botched mess parts of the game that are still around after 8 years, or have cropped up over time. Like character customization being a bizarrely limited mess. Or the game sucking at supporting online play, comparative to a decent game built with online in mind from the start. Or many quests being designed with one player in mind and therefore taking forever to finish, if the area is remotely crowded (sometimes just if someone else is there at all). Or the UI being stuck on a smorgasbord of noisy color palettes for ability icons, with no option to change it. Or unify colors not working in some cutscenes with companions. Or dyes being obnoxious consumables that are locked to a chest piece if you want to use unify colors.

Or mount speed being limited in an obnoxious way by level and then the last two levels being by character and totally pointlessly over-expensive. Or many things being arbitrarily tied to character legacy over server legacy. Or animations that keeping you from doing stuff like looting until it finishes playing. Or those rare cutscenes where for some nonsensical reason, the companion is suddenly wearing some sort of weird body mesh over the slightest bit of exposed skin in a custom outfit. Or collections being unable to retrieve a copy of a piece at a time, if desired, and instead being limited to a full set, that you'll probably have to delete most of, because even if you stamp all of it, you still probably won't want to keep the copy around in your inventory.
Clicky referral link for freebies, read how referral works.

Darev
09.16.2019 , 08:47 PM | #20
No. I wouldn't. I could play the game for free with more quality of life improvements, the few that are relegated to f2p players, than what Vanilla swtor had.
If you choose to fight in the sewer you can no longer claim to have the moral high ground.