Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I don't understand why some people think sub rewards are free.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
I don't understand why some people think sub rewards are free.

ArkhaanPremiare
04.15.2016 , 09:43 AM | #1
Don't you see how programmed that line of thinking is? Just listen for a second, this is basically what Bioware has some of you thinking.

"The money you pay for a sub is for full access to the game, this item that you also only have access to if you PAY for a sub is free because BW calls it a "reward"."

And then what if it wasn't called a reward? What if it was listed with the other subscription benefits(I'm assuming it isn't based on the argument that the rewards are free)? Oh what, now suddenly it isn't free?

Look, it doesn't matter what it is. If any form of product is locked behind any form of paywall, it ISN'T. FREE. The DLCs that come with the sub aren't free either, the subscription is basically one big promotional bundle with a recurring payment.

xordevoreaux
04.15.2016 , 09:45 AM | #2
Your observation is far from new, and the people on this forum have read that trope many times before. This isn't a new point, no revelation.

[force persuade] This isn't the thread you're looking for.

Max_Killjoy
04.15.2016 , 09:47 AM | #3
Some people will also say things that amount to a claim that the subscription is specifically FOR the rewards or early access or whatever, and that the rewards or whatever cost the entire ~$15, ignoring the rest of the subscription entirely.

It usually comes down to whatever they feel serves their rant / argument / criticism of the moment better...

JWagner
04.15.2016 , 09:47 AM | #4
I subbed one way or another. The idea is its a free reward for doing what you already do. I am paying for the game, not the rewards, most of which just sit in a cargo hold anyway. If it entices you to join, sure. But "subbing" is the game, and not the extras that come with it. The extras are just that, extras. You shouldn't be subbing solely for the purpose of getting extras, especially if you don't like the extras.

ArkhaanPremiare
04.15.2016 , 09:47 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
Your observation is far from new, and the people on this forum have read that trope many times before. This isn't a new point, no revelation.

[force persuade] This isn't the thread you're looking for.
There are plenty of newcomers on this thread. Maybe this will keep them from being brainwashed.

[force persuade] This is indeed the thread you're looking for.

JennyFlynn
04.15.2016 , 09:48 AM | #6
I'm so glad you had to go and make a brand new thread about this.
--------{---({@ Defiant Devotion | Defying Destiny | SWTOR Prompt Oneshots @}}>---}-------

Max_Killjoy
04.15.2016 , 09:48 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
Repeatedly posting threads that amount to treating long-standing observations as if they are new revelations would seem to be the pattern...

Of course, looking at the signature of the one involved in posting them is enlightening...

CrazyCT
04.15.2016 , 09:48 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by JennyFlynn View Post
I'm so glad you had to go and make a brand new thread about this.
He left our discussion halfway through in another thread to come and make his own special thread about it. Tempted to go and grab my quotes from there so he can't run and hide from them.
"An argument must have opposition if it is to prove itself."
Queen of the White Knights <==== Click to pay tribute to your Queen
Once managed to use "Obfuscate" in a sentence. Allegedly sounds like.....Robbie Williams?

xordevoreaux
04.15.2016 , 09:50 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyCT View Post
He left our discussion halfway through in another thread to come and make his own special thread about it. Tempted to go and grab my quotes from there so he can't run and hide from them.
Saw that, that's why I didn't give him any rope on this one.

ArkhaanPremiare
04.15.2016 , 09:50 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
Some people will also say things that amount to a claim that the subscription is specifically FOR the rewards or early access or whatever, and that the rewards or whatever cost the entire ~$15, ignoring the rest of the subscription entirely.

It usually comes down to whatever they feel serves their rant / argument / criticism of the moment better...
That's assuming that the "why" matters, it doesn't. There's a paywall in front of the sub rewards, therefore they aren't free by definition. There's no real argument to be had,