Filter for Gen Chat

Is anyone else annoyed about Debates, Politics, Nobama this Nobama that. I don't come to Fleet to talk about that stuff and its difficult to announcing Crafting/ LFGs/ in-game questions when the MMO is not made up of solely US issues. If i wanna talk about politics, i'd take that outside of my gaming i mean really.

So, just an idea whether thought up, or not, Can Bioware do something about a Filter or a Debate Channel that people can spam on that instead because as of now we do have tabs that take chat that discusses those politics/ events that's non-Star wars related.

Even if they put in a channel like that no one will use it. general will always be general. its this way in every MMO. You have to just ignore it or literally /ignore the ppl doing it. Although I don't recommend that option as it limits your ability to get into endgame stuff when you ignore lots of ppl

Is anyone else annoyed about Debates, Politics, Nobama this Nobama that. I don't come to Fleet to talk about that stuff and its difficult to announcing Crafting/ LFGs/ in-game questions when the MMO is not made up of solely US issues. If i wanna talk about politics, i'd take that outside of my gaming i mean really.

So, just an idea whether thought up, or not, Can Bioware do something about a Filter or a Debate Channel that people can spam on that instead because as of now we do have tabs that take chat that discusses those politics/ events that's non-Star wars related.

It sucks I know but your gonna have to deal with it. The people who have these conversations basically suck at the game and have nothing to offer(they don't trade items, they suck at playing the game and can't offer you advice either) you anyways so just set them to ignore you will be better off.

It sucks I know but your gonna have to deal with it. The people who have these conversations basically suck at the game and have nothing to offer(they don't trade items, they suck at playing the game and can't offer you advice either) you anyways so just set them to ignore you will be better off.

How do you know they suck at the game?

Sometimes I'm bored and don't want to do any endgame do I suck at the game too?

I agree it's annoying to hear political talk going on in general chat. It was refreshing to me going over to an EU server during the presidential elections. When it got out of hand I would just go log in over there, they don't talk as much political smack as they do on US servers. Though they do like to speak in tongues (native languages) once in a while on English servers, which gets annoying if it's more than a few comments.

HOWEVER, it's equally as annoying to see LFG and WTB/S spam on the general chat as well. That's what the groupfinder, GTN and trade chat is for. General chat is just that, chit chat, a little in game (lighthearted) smack talk and asking in game questions or looking for help/advise.

And why is this in the FP and Heroic forum?

EDIT: ^Yes I've had quite a few good laughs from just reading chat while waiting for que's to pop or browsing the GTN. Also turn on the profanity filter and try to guess the words/phrases that were used also helps pass the time and is good for lutz. :p

Edited by Ridickilis

HOWEVER, it's equally as annoying to see LFG and WTB/S spam on the general chat as well. That's what the groupfinder, GTN and trade chat is for. General chat is just that, chit chat, a little in game (lighthearted) smack talk and asking in game questions or looking for help/advise.

I prefer to screen finding members for my groups especially since you cant use the GF for anything about a SM EV/KP! So you will see LFGs - deal with it, change the channel/ignore.

As for the WTB/S I agree we have a Trade Channel for that.

What would really be nice is if Trade was server wide broadcast, General was too and then specific channels for planet/instance established (like how General is treated as now) That way when people DO want to get groups going for anything above the lowly offerings from the GF Implementation, then we wouldn't have to travel to fleet as well as switch through several fleet instances to ask people (since Fleet chat is limited to its instance and not to all of Imperial Fleet (and they call this a MMO... I guess 250=Massive)...

Edited by IrishTR

Even if they put in a channel like that no one will use it. general will always be general. its this way in every MMO. You have to just ignore it or literally /ignore the ppl doing it. Although I don't recommend that option as it limits your ability to get into endgame stuff when you ignore lots of ppl

i disagree

not EVERY MMO has this nonsense to the extent seen in here, wow and rift.

just those mmos with a group finder and dumbed down so a fifth grader can play and level up in does. these attract children of all ages. the more challenging ones with no group finder have little if any of this nonsense and some even police themselves. without a group finder, being put on ignore was death sentence for getting a group. those mmo players soon learned that or left the game.

Right. For example, people can go on and on and on about PvP on general, instead of the PvP channel....

...an EU server...Though they do like to speak in tongues (native languages) once in a while on English servers, which gets annoying if it's more than a few comments.

??? Really? :rolleyes:

Most Europeans - even the native English speakers - speak multiple languages - not tongues - languages. It is a reality of living in Europe.

Tongues I believe are the sounds certain religious folk make when communicating in a manner that noone but themselves understand and those around them then choose to interpret in a manner of their choosing.

Rather offensive to call old languages, tongues just because you find yourself uni lingual, don't you think? ;)

Why does it annoy you if someone makes a few comments in language that is not English?

Perhaps it would behoove you to be more tolerant of European culture when on European servers. As the saying goes "When in Rome..."

??? Really? :rolleyes:

Most Europeans - even the native English speakers - speak multiple languages - not tongues - languages. It is a reality of living in Europe.

Tongues I believe are the sounds certain religious folk make when communicating in a manner that noone but themselves understand and those around them then choose to interpret in a manner of their choosing.

Rather offensive to call old languages, tongues just because you find yourself uni lingual, don't you think? ;)

Why does it annoy you if someone makes a few comments in language that is not English?

Perhaps it would behoove you to be more tolerant of European culture when on European servers. As the saying goes "When in Rome..."

Oh whoops, missed responding to this in a timely manner. First, sorry it was just meant as a (bad) joke, making fun of myself for not knowing the difference, I didn't mean for it to be offensive. So again I apologize if it read as offensive or derogatory to you.

Secondly, I did in fact say "more than a few comments" which would indicate leeway for a bit of back and fourth, question and answer, perhaps a followup question and answer. I generally assume that player isn't as comfortable with their English and probably feels it would be faster and more accurate to get an answer in their NL. I was referring to those that carry on for a while with chit-chat and banter. It's still an English server after all. They also get asked, by others, to please stop on many occasions. So unless there is some huge influx of Americans on EU servers, it's fellow Europeans asking them to stop speaking in a language other than English. ;)

Lastly lol I'm quite 'tolerant'. In fact I find the chat on English servers, in general, more mature and game related than can be found on US counterparts.

Edited by Ridickilis
nah, no sass