The game reputation is kinda ''terminal phase'' at this point.

Angedechu

I don't think that the game is dead....however, many does.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/bioware-mmo-project/1226628p1.html

At the same time, the free-to-play conversion marks the end of SWTOR's significance as an MMORPG, just under a year after its release.

And it's very worrying. The game having the reputaiton of being dead is almost as bad as the game being dead.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many would argue that perception is reality. But in this case.... its far from it. The good news in is that as long as TOR is a revenue stream, despite what nay sayers may say, the game is not dead. Not by a long shot.

I don't worry too much about what the self proclaimed experts think about this game. I'm having a great deal of fun playing and I'm not alone. Our guild is going strong and all indications are that it will continue for years to come.

Really just Ask yourself , Are you having fun ? can you get friends together to do Ops and or FP, is the answer is yes then, dont worry about what someone wrote in an article for a gaming blog, and have fun, until you are no longer enjoying the game or Bioware /EA announces a server shut down date.

Good article.

One thing though Considering Jeff Hickman former interview I'm far from certain they are indeed focusing on V.O. story content.

In fact they are going the opposite way because it's too expensive and takes too much time to build those, especially when you are on a 4-6 weeks time frame and are already way late regarding all that needs to be fixed or improved.

Sadly TOR F2P model has been designed by clueless and greedy managers who thought they were alone in the MMO world and their IP alone would solve all their issues.

yarr last night on Ebon Hawk 200+ on the fleet, ~170 on the opposite fleet when i logged my alt etc, seems about average(ish) in the evenings, i dont think it was even listed as heavy at the time, so i dont believe the games population is decreasing much, if at all atm from my own (limited) perspective.

Perhaps what they're alluding to is f2p means the game will progress further into play to win and down the road of milking the product rather than seeing it as an "expanding" mmo.

Edited by goodnamebro

yarr last night on Ebon Hawk 200+ on the fleet, ~170 on the opposite fleet when i logged my alt etc, seems about average(ish) in the evenings, i dont think it was even listed as heavy at the time, so i dont believe the games population is decreasing much, .

you did perhaps notice that the game started with .. what, 240 Servers and is now down to.. 20 ??

you did perhaps notice that the game started with .. what, 240 Servers and is now down to.. 20 ??

thanks for the headsup really, id never have known that otherwise, true story

but the point i had been attempting to make was the fact the majority of servers seem to have very stable populations atm, there was always going to be a huge decrease after release but the fact, for at least me, the servers in which i play seem now stable and with f2p influx coming it looks hopeful.

Why is it I rarely see compliments for the game sprinkled with a few reasonable complaints about where the game obviously falls short? Or complaints that acknowledge what is done right in the game?

Why is it that quite a few people have to either support the game without compromise, deride anyone, any site, any source of information that posts anything even remotely negative about the title, or blindly rage against the title as if it is the worst piece of trash ever conceived by mankind, taking anything negative said about the game as the word of god?

Some people seem to actually be HAPPY that subs have dropped so dramatically, as if it offers some kind of proof of what they were saying all along, while others dismiss losses giving completely ludicrous excuses.

It seems to me like too many people treat the game like it's a political party or religion.

Here is what I think....

The game fell on its face after launch. The proof is self evident. It is likely they had expectations and those expectations were NOT MET. Proof is self evident of that as well. The reasons are arguable, but one does not stretch credibility by suggesting folks were not happy with what they had.

The game gets a bad rap in many ways that I believe it does not deserve, at the same time it gets a pass in some spots where it's feet definitely need to be held to the fire. I believe some decisions in the games design were based in arrogance and poor insight, and I believe that the company has already paid the price for this. At the same time it seems almost impossible for folks to compliment anything in the title without violating some type of "I hate SWTOR" club rules sometimes.

We are likely not experts on the market, forces at work, trends, mechanics or code. We are, however, likely to be Laureate Scholars when it comes to what we like. Someone else doesn't know better than we do. Any suggestion to the contrary is foolish.

I think the game is great in some ways, best in the industry to the designers credit. I also think that some parts of the game are so embarrassingly bad the people responsible, whomever they may be, should be ashamed of themselves.

One thing is certain to me. You cant sell someone a house without doors and not expect them to complain when they feel a breeze, no matter how well the house is painted.

I sincerely hope that the game finds the success that has eluded it since launch, and I am hopeful that F2P brings in the kind of revenue that is needed to finally get the game out of beta status (my opinion) and into the mainstream.

It's long overdue IMO.

Edited by LordArtemis

thanks for the headsup really, id never have known that otherwise, true story

but the point i had been attempting to make was the fact the majority of servers seem to have very stable populations atm, there was always going to be a huge decrease after release but the fact, for at least me, the servers in which i play seem now stable and with f2p influx coming it looks hopeful.

checked again, it´s actually 24 servers. Not sure about the inital number, I counted them once I believe the total number was around 250, 252 servers.

Anyway, let´s see what F2P brings.

Game is already free up to LvL 15 for some time...

And? I mean, yeah, there used be a lot of subscribers and servers but we should think about the state of the game and the population now on the existing servers. From what I see when I log in, the population is healthy.

reputation can destroy a game.

SWG imo was fun till the last day and the players enjoyed it, alot.

Yet, you could not mention that game without the haters coming out of the woodwork and detering new players from even trying it out.

No matter what SWG did to make that game better the reputaion due to the NGE, kept the hater in full swing for years.

You could buy cotumes and play as a jawa, gungan or even Rancor. You could fly all over the galaxy with friends, you could capture planets for your faction. Yet, all this and it did not matter because nobody would even try the game out.

If you asked "how is SWG' you would get "dead" years before its was.

SWTOR sure does offer alot of material (lack of end game, no chat bubbles, F2P) that haters are already using all over the internet to bring this game down.

People will listen more to the negatives than the positives. Just like an election, most people vote because they are told the other guy is garabage.

Edited by kirorx

reputation can destroy a game.

SWG imo was fun till the last day and the players enjoyed it, alot.

Yet, you could not mention that game without the haters coming out of the woodwork and detering new players from even trying it out.

Were there some things wrong, sure but the overall game was tons of fun. Very similar to this game, we are missing alot of things but its still very fun to play. Yet, its the haters that will focus on detering players based on the lack of things In SWTOR that will be a problem

Remaning players enjoyed it. Doesn't mean significant majority of people who used to play/enjoy SWG weren't busy hating what it became around 2005. Same thing happened with TOR. These forums were such a pool o hate back when game still was in 1mil++ subs. Majority of people disliked TOR for one reason or another, majority left->more positive forums.

TOR is far from " dead" and considdering the mind numbing amounts of money (200-500 million:O ) invested in, it in all likelyhood never will be. Not dead in that plug getting pulled sense. Firing what..half of the dev team including lead designer, having to go FtP route and quietly backpedaling from any too ambitious plans to add relevant new uninstanced content spaks of..not death but severe ilness. Back burner MMO getting miniscule updates once every blue moon that is ran with skelton crew sounds like a real enough thing to fear. Year since release and we are not getting even rumors of an expansion.

I realize I went pretty deep to OT at some point there but hay.

Edited by Stradlin

We all noticed large amount of players coming back now (subbing to get their cartel coins) and 3/4 of European servers are Heavy - Very Heavy in the evenings. This game is far from dead. Doom to the haters!

Please tell me why they did server consolidations. Please tell me how many servers there were at release. Please tell me how many servers there are now. Please tell me why this game has made a F2P option, giving away about 90% of the game content for free less than a year after release.

I don't care what the game's reputation is. I'm not being paid to market it. I just play it and enjoy it while it's here.

Most people who enjoy their MMO find it's reputation and overall condition in eyes of gamers/industry very important.It is very important for the future of the game. It's very human how enjoying the " now" in an MMO is difficult if you have reason to believe future brings just ..if not doom atleast gloom.

Edited by Stradlin

If everyone says it, must make it true....

I never understood the mob mentality. Many things in history were stated as true later to be disproven. Only time will tell if the game flourishes or dies. So far it seems the game is back on an upswing. Instead of guessing why don't we just let what will happen, happen?

That's not to say stop providing feedback in a constructive way, but the only ones who should be Doomsaying is the WoW kids who want this game to perish so half of their guilds go back. Lets leave it to them to do all the Doomsaying without proper reasoning.

Pro Tip: Do not believe what others write/say, believe only in what you can observe. Believe in the Kamina that believes in you!

In order for F2P to be successful, BioWare needs to have something more up their sleeve. The attitude I'm getting from them at the moment is that F2P is going to be some kind of panacea that will fix everything from queue times and revenue generation to Oceanic servers population problems, and really all they've done over the last year is struggle to get servers merged and add a group finder (oh and hide companion helm, that was nice after a year).

Who knows? I think they're leaning too heavily on F2P to be this game's saving grace, and there's no guarantee it will be.

The reason for so much negativity in the gaming media is because BioWare as a whole has been on a downhill course which isn't helped by so many high profile departures. I think most are calling it like they see it, which is sad and unfortunate, but BioWare isn't doing much to combat this popular image at the moment.

Edited by Korusus