How to make ranked not gear dependant and truly skill based

Lhancelot

For ranked they could make it a prerequisite to wear a preset gear outfit so everyone had the same stats. This would make it truly a best of the best contest involving only skill not gears.

This preset ranked gear suit could be purchased cheaply off a special new vendor, and all 14 slots would have to be worn to gain entry to the ranked queue and no gear swapping would be allowed once in the ranked queue.

They could also run Best of the Best contests with 1 vs. 1s using these same preset gear suits... 2 vs. 2s, etc.

Once ranked becomes popular again with this new format they could then bring back 8 vs. 8 ranked.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For ranked they could make it a prerequisite to wear a preset gear outfit so everyone had the same stats. This would make it truly a best of the best contest involving only skill not gears.

This preset ranked gear suit could be purchased cheaply off a special new vendor, and all 14 slots would have to be worn to gain entry to the ranked queue and no gear swapping would be allowed once in the ranked queue.

They could also run Best of the Best contests with 1 vs. 1s using these same preset gear suits... 2 vs. 2s, etc.

Once ranked becomes popular again with this new format they could then bring back 8 vs. 8 ranked.

This is an MMO, grinding gear to use in future content is the point. If you want everyone to have the exact same stats, play a different genre.

This is an MMO, grinding gear to use in future content is the point. If you want everyone to have the exact same stats, play a different genre.

I didn't say everyone should have the exact same stats. If you want to respond to other people's posts maybe read what they write.

It sounds ideal on paper. But if you actually implemented the system participation would decrease and people would complain about lack of customization and boring cookie cutter classes.

I don't even need to argue the point there is a concrete example right now. WoW are reverting the template system used in Legion, Battle for Azeroth will be back to gear but with some kind of bolster system, just like SWTOR has now.

I didn't say everyone should have the exact same stats. If you want to respond to other people's posts maybe read what they write.

For ranked they could make it a prerequisite to wear a preset gear outfit so everyone had the same stats.

/5char

It sounds ideal on paper. But if you actually implemented the system participation would decrease and people would complain about lack of customization and boring cookie cutter classes.

I don't even need to argue the point there is a concrete example right now. WoW are reverting the template system used in Legion, Battle for Azeroth will be back to gear but with some kind of bolster system, just like SWTOR has now.

I figured this in my own mind too. I actually thought of the idea only because I was thinking how they never have a BOTB contest.

This made me then think the only way you could really determine the best of the best is if they had the same gears to fight one another... Which then lead me to think well, they could actually implement it for ranked too.

I agree, removing the customization of gearing would take fun out of the game, but I think for a more specific contest that was done once a year it would be alright. Like a 1 vs 1 best of the best contest.

/5char

Thank you for quoting my original post.

It's pretty clear in my OP I theorized in ranked or in special contests they could do this to eliminate a gear discrepancy if they wanted balanced PVP fights that would be determined on skill and not gears. In ranked. Or in special contests.

Janglor wanted to be snarky and it's fine you are coming to defend him but he knew good well I was not implying all stats in the SWTOR MMO should all be made the same removing gear grind in the process. And you know too that's not what I was implying. :D

Edited by Lhancelot

just bring back the old PVP gear system and expertise

this is far more likely to actually happen, largely accomplishes the same thing, and gives the people still dragging around their emotional attachment to gear progression their fix

Edited by yellow_

just bring back the old PVP gear system and expertise

this is far more likely to actually happen, largely accomplishes the same thing, and gives the people still dragging around their emotional attachment to gear progression their fix

With the mod & enhancement vendors as well. It was fun to play around with different stats at a low cost.

I don't see a return of 8v8 ranked unless there is a big boost in population. I see enough complaints about SR/GR pops as it is, I doubt 8v8 ranked would help that aside from the initial "oh cool look it's back".

Again, I agree with Yellow. That seems the most sensible way to go at this point. Let's just get 5.x over and done with and try and get things in more reasonable order for everyone involved. It's good for us and it's good for PVEers. Be able to make the appropriate adjustments where needed and not have to worry about what it will do to the other side of the isle.

With the mod & enhancement vendors as well. It was fun to play around with different stats at a low cost.
what's bizarre about those vendors going away is that there is absolutely nothing inherent to them that would make them exclusive to "old" gearing

it's hard not to conclude that bioware just wants to make us waste currency to soak up time

what's bizarre about those vendors going away is that there is absolutely nothing inherent to them that would make them exclusive to "old" gearing

it's hard not to conclude that bioware just wants to make us waste currency to soak up time

Correct me if i'm wrong but there has never been a vendor like that for end game pve gear so that's probably why they removed it, to keep pve players grinding. Screwing over pvper's was just a nice happy bonus for them.

Correct me if i'm wrong but there has never been a vendor like that for end game pve gear so that's probably why they removed it, to keep pve players grinding. Screwing over pvper's was just a nice happy bonus for them.

I believe hes talking about the old 4.0 era pvp gear vendors. I too liked the old system better. Unfortunately I dont think there is a chance at it changing back.

I figured this in my own mind too. I actually thought of the idea only because I was thinking how they never have a BOTB contest.

This made me then think the only way you could really determine the best of the best is if they had the same gears to fight one another... Which then lead me to think well, they could actually implement it for ranked too.

I agree, removing the customization of gearing would take fun out of the game, but I think for a more specific contest that was done once a year it would be alright. Like a 1 vs 1 best of the best contest.

Thank you for quoting my original post.

It's pretty clear in my OP I theorized in ranked or in special contests they could do this to eliminate a gear discrepancy if they wanted balanced PVP fights that would be determined on skill and not gears. In ranked. Or in special contests.

Janglor wanted to be snarky and it's fine you are coming to defend him but he knew good well I was not implying all stats in the SWTOR MMO should all be made the same removing gear grind in the process. And you know too that's not what I was implying. :D

Then they would actually HAVE to have BALANCED classes no more heals on hit so Jugs ED and mercs shield heal when hit out the window.

Edited by Kazz_Devlin

I believe hes talking about the old 4.0 era pvp gear vendors. I too liked the old system better. Unfortunately I dont think there is a chance at it changing back.

im pretty sure there was dev remarks how they are looking back at expertise, never say never

They should just have a required gear rating like the do for quing the 3 latest flashpoints. I mean when you get a player on your team whose gear rating is 115..... its a little ridiculous. Edited by Ld-Siris

i mean, its a reasonable assumption to make based on your post

thanks for clarifying, i guess

Again I personally THINK they have gone too far down the road of galatic command to roll it back.

But what I think is not insight into what they will do. I didnt think they would change tank stats, and they are.

The usage of the verb "think" rather than the implied "know" that comes with a stative "be" verb suggests I am not, in fact claiming to have the knowledge of the ages.

Again I personally THINK they have gone too far down the road of galatic command to roll it back.

But what I think is not insight into what they will do. I didnt think they would change tank stats, and they are.

The usage of the verb "think" rather than the implied "know" that comes with a stative "be" verb suggests I am not, in fact claiming to have the knowledge of the ages.

Galactic command was created by the management team before Keith was here. Now that Keith is in charge we are getting more pvp related updates. With how **** the GC it makes logical sense he is thinking about implemented expertise back.

thanks for clarifying again i guess

im pretty sure there was dev remarks how they are looking back at expertise, never say never

Perhaps it will be back, but for Bioware seems contend to just slap band-aids on a gaping wound as far as gearing is concerned. I'm not expecting them to bring back expertise, but then that's partly because I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

Edited by AdjeYo

I lament the loss of the mod/enh vendors. I wish that at level 300 you gain access to these type of vendors so you could really customize your gear. And that isn’t because I think it will make me win more, I just enjoy customization and trying new things.

And the only way they fix things is an easy general way that shows no actual knowledge of pvp. That leads me to think that the only thing they’d actually do is some kind of hard bolster (like when you go into a lowbie zone).

For that reason I don’t want some even-gear nonsense. Everyone finds a way to gear pretty quickly and it’s mostly done at the same general pace as everyone else.

I also think that player skill >>>>>>>>>> gear anyway so this whole idea would only level 10% of a given playing field.

Edited by Wimbleton

As some people mentioned the main aspect of MMOs is the grind for gear. You have to be busy with getting the best gear in the game to be able to compete on the top level. As you can see now the PVPers all have 248 gear and the best augments. You don't see them complain about it (ok at least not that much).

The discussion was here before when people suggested one PVP gear, easy to purchase cause PVPers would be fine with PVPing always and for eternity in the same old warzones without any grind for gear. That sounds nice but like many have said that would not be the case and they would get bored of it soon. They would then be crying for more and more new content in form of maps and other types of PVP components.

Nevertheless the main issue of ranked in this game is population. If the game had enough people in the ranked community it would be much more about the competition. Since there is not enough people we also have a lot of wintrading and que syncing. Mainly on Darth Malgus where the Ranked scene is basically ruled by the few good players. They split the time when they que and farm the "others" in the ranked que. They que dodge, sync que, use low rating toons to boost and much more. All this is only possible due to the fact that there is not enough people in que. If you que rep side with 4 friends you are practically a premade as no one else is in rep que.

Galactic command was created by the management team before Keith was here. Now that Keith is in charge we are getting more pvp related updates. With how **** the GC it makes logical sense he is thinking about implemented expertise back.

This is true, it seems someone whether it's Keith or Charles, Eric, someone seems to be revisiting past features and seriously considering implementing them in the future.

That would be great if they brought back the old gearing system. I really miss how we could fine tune our gears by buying mods, enhancements, armorings, weapons, etc. with WZ comms.

I was just recently looking at the gear vendors now and thinking to myself why can we not buy specific mods etc. like we used to? They really took a fluid and fun gearing system and gutted it for this CXP system? It still leaves me baffled.

This is true, it seems someone whether it's Keith or Charles, Eric, someone seems to be revisiting past features and seriously considering implementing them in the future.

That would be great if they brought back the old gearing system. I really miss how we could fine tune our gears by buying mods, enhancements, armorings, weapons, etc. with WZ comms.

I was just recently looking at the gear vendors now and thinking to myself why can we not buy specific mods etc. like we used to? They really took a fluid and fun gearing system and gutted it for this CXP system? It still leaves me baffled.

They were just trying to condense the game. Maybe they were hoping that would simplify creation of new content and balancing issues while at the same time making it fun for the whole family!! yeah no.....negative red leader.

They were just trying to condense the game. Maybe they were hoping that would simplify creation of new content and balancing issues while at the same time making it fun for the whole family!! yeah no.....negative red leader.

What Galactic command was meant to do is give the Devs time. They didnt have the manpower (still dont) to do any new stuff so all they needed was time. In order to get time they did things like the DvsL event, where they made people level up toons again and do various old things with them for the achievements and rewards. Then they came with the GC stuff so people would grind the ranks till 300 and then the same on all their toons. All this was just to win time, which actually worked (but still many people left). They weren't even able to finish the operation in the given time so that pretty much shows it all.