Cross-faction guilds - when can we expect them?

Pietrastor

During one of the cantina tours, someone asked Bioware about cross-faction chat and got a reply that it would be part of cross-faction guilds.

Well, when could we expect to see this happen? 3.0? Sometime at the end of 2014? Is it in any developement stage or just on the 'wall of crazy' for now? It sure would improve social/communication aspect of the game greately for tons of guilds with versions on each side so I can't wait to see this implemented as soon as possible

Edited by Pietrastor

First time I hear about this, any link?

Lemme find it, will edit post, was one of the fansites

EDIT here:

http://ootinicast.com/2013/06/ootinicast-episode-85/

Cross-faction chat channels: Only for guild chat, No ETA (this was the closest to an affirmative. He stressed no ETA, but said you can credit him saying this is something coming)

was somewhere else too bbut can't find more links ATM

Edited by Pietrastor

During one of the cantina tours, someone asked Bioware about cross-faction chat and got a reply that it would be part of cross-faction guilds.

Well, when could we expect to see this happen? 3.0? Sometime at the end of 2014? Is it in any developement stage or just on the 'wall of crazy' for now? It sure would improve social/communication aspect of the game greately for tons of guilds with versions on each side so I can't wait to see this implemented as soon as possible

The problem is.. The link you gave us doesn't support that remark..

•Damion: Cross-server queuing is really (really!) hard (Jeff: we’re not going to do that). Different solutions to solve the same problem in Game Update 2.4 (primarily oriented to hardcore PvPers). Servers hold four times the number players as WoW realms. Ranked queue times are on average shorter at all times of day compared to non-ranked queue times.

That is the only comment in your link that I can find on the issue of cross server.. So I would be interested to see an actual quote or something that supports your claim..

:)

The problem is.. The link you gave us doesn't support that remark..

That is the only comment in your link that I can find on the issue of cross server.. So I would be interested to see an actual quote or something that supports your claim..

:)

I suggest you hit that Ctrl + F "cross" few more times at the link :)

I even quoted the part :csw_jabbapet:

Edited by Pietrastor

• 3 weeks later...
Lemme find it, will edit post, was one of the fansites

EDIT here:

http://ootinicast.com/2013/06/ootinicast-episode-85/

was somewhere else too bbut can't find more links ATM

From your reference it sounds more like an implementation of chat that uses your legacy/ account information rather than the one character you are on.

So for example if you have an Imperial character in a guild and you go to play on your Republic character your Imperial guildies would be able to whisper you to see if you wanted to raid/ do FPs/ help out.

So not so much a Cross-Faction guild where you can have Imps and Reps playing the same content together, but a means of communicating between the two so you don't have to rely on a third party communication system.

• 2 weeks later...
From your reference it sounds more like an implementation of chat that uses your legacy/ account information rather than the one character you are on.

So for example if you have an Imperial character in a guild and you go to play on your Republic character your Imperial guildies would be able to whisper you to see if you wanted to raid/ do FPs/ help out.

So not so much a Cross-Faction guild where you can have Imps and Reps playing the same content together, but a means of communicating between the two so you don't have to rely on a third party communication system.

I don't think anyone ever considered letting Imp/Reps do content together, cross-faction guilds would obviously be primarly about much needed improvement in communication in-game, the social aspect.

Edited by Pietrastor

I don't think anyone ever considered letting Imp/Reps do content together, cross-faction guilds would obviously be primarly about much needed improvement in communication in-game, the social aspect.

So how do they implement a cross faction guild and yet prevent guild members from grouping together?

I do not see how cross faction guilds could be implemented while still maintaining faction separation.

I think that it would be easier to implement "legacy friends lists" that function in a manner similar to the method that another company uses to allow cross server, cross faction and even cross game communication. This would mean individual communication, and not "guild chat", though.

Maybe allow the formation of cross faction channels? That way guilds could form their own "private channels" and guild members from either faction could join. This could effectively allow cross faction guild communication while maintaining faction separation in other aspects of the game.

• 2 weeks later...
So how do they implement a cross faction guild and yet prevent guild members from grouping together?

I do not see how cross faction guilds could be implemented while still maintaining faction separation.

The same way they're already blocked from grouping with each other or how you can't whisper to somone from guild list? :confused: Simply by removing right-click option. If you see an opposite-faction player, you can check their gear or challenge to duel but you can't select whisper or "Invite to group", these options are simply disabled. Same with guild whispers (which people were asking tobe fixed for a long time lol). You're creating problems with this idea that don't exist

Still hoping for yellow post :rak_05:

You will only get one if there is any information they have to share with you. Otherwise, you will not even get a 'no' answer.

On cross faction guilds, I think they would need to first remove the (500?) member limit or it is just pointless.

You will only get one if there is any information they have to share with you. Otherwise, you will not even get a 'no' answer.
Cartel Market threads get new info all the time :rak_01:

On cross faction guilds, I think they would need to first remove the (500?) member limit or it is just pointless.
Or simply transform it into 500 ACCOUNTS restriction. Or even 250 accounts. But in a game that puts such heavy emphasis on alting, it doesn't make sense to not count all characters as 1 guild member, majority of the players have 2-6 alts. Edited by Pietrastor

• 2 months later...
Cross faction guilds are never coming. Besides the fact that they make zero sense lorewise, the RoI for developing them is too small and likely negative. Probably less than 5% of the population cares about this, and most of those have already figured out that you can create two guilds and link them via a website and chat via voice.

Like everything BW plans on doing, it's on their To-Soon™ list.

:rak_03:

And how is that any different that Blizzard's Soon™ list?

My point is that a lot of what Blizzard said Soon™ to eventually came to pass.

As a jedi master invariably says to his/her padawan, "Patience young one." :p

Cross faction guilds are never coming. Besides the fact that they make zero sense lorewise, the RoI for developing them is too small and likely negative. Probably less than 5% of the population cares about this, and most of those have already figured out that you can create two guilds and link them via a website and chat via voice.

I can understand your lore point but other than that I disagree. You'd probably be surprised how many "sister guilds" (imp and pub guilds that share player membership) are out there and how annoying it is: knowing that a guild mate is playing on the other side and you cannot communicate without switching characters.

Edited by psandak

I can understand your lore point but other than that I disagree. You'd probably be surprised how many "sister guilds" (imp and pub guilds that share player membership) are out there and how annoying it is, knowing that a guild mate is playing on the other side and you cannot communicate without switching characters.

As the guild master of a Republic guild that also has an Imp alt guild, I find that mumble or vent are the solution to this "problem".

What does the functionality of social interaction tools in an online social game have to do with lore?? ROI too small? Social interaction tools are at the base of MMORPGs, hello, it's a game where people need to communicate easily. And no, voice chat ain't a solution because not everyone can/wants to install or use voice chat all the time.

• 2 weeks later...