Why no pad/joystick support for GS ?

Angedechu

For two reasons

1)Usually, flight sims use a pad

2)While early flight sims could have issues with joysticks of poor performance and various capacities, nowadays there is a certain controller that is robust, reliable, work perfectly with a PC and lies around in the millions in houses.....

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Wired-Controller/dp/B003ZSN600/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1386255344&sr=8-3&keywords=X360+controller

For two reasons

2)While early flight sims could have issues with joysticks of poor performance and various capacities, nowadays there is a certain controller that is robust, reliable, work perfectly with a PC and lies around in the millions in houses.....

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Wired-Controller/dp/B003ZSN600/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1386255344&sr=8-3&keywords=X360+controller

1) How about we stop making threads about the same topic.. Some would call that spam.. This is the 2nd I have seen from you so far..

2) Stop comparing games that have a first person perspective and cockpit view to this one.. GS is third person and no cockpit view..

3) GS does not need joystick support.. It isn't what most would call a traditional flight sim.. Nor is it intended to be.. If your only justification is to compare it to other games that have a cockpit view then you are exposing the flaw in your own argument..

4) As mentioned above, there is some evidence that people using a controller might have a slight edge over those that don't.. :rolleyes:

Well, as it is, subbers have a huge advange over F2Pers...

Why?? Because we got it first?? Lame argument?? Just try to explain that to Dale Earnhardt Jr. According to you, he is at a disadvantage because a lot of people raced in Nascar before he did.. It should be impossible for any new driver to win.. According to you of course.. :rolleyes:

For two reasons

So do it yourself

Buy said joystick

plug in joystick

remap keybinding

there you got what you want

DO IT ON YOUR OWN

So do it yourself

Buy said joystick

plug in joystick

remap keybinding

there you got what you want

DO IT ON YOUR OWN

From what I've read, both in the forums and via in game chat, people have tried to do exactly this.

It doesn't work the way you're suggesting it would.

They talked about this in response to a question at the Austin cantina event.

They did not want people to have to (or feel like they had to) purchase a new accessory to play it. They also found that the joystick/mouse control was very accessible.

Apparently, they did test it early on. It just wasn't the experience that they wanted to deliver.

They talked about this in response to a question at the Austin cantina event.

They did not want people to have to (or feel like they had to) purchase a new accessory to play it. They also found that the joystick/mouse control was very accessible.

Apparently, they did test it early on. It just wasn't the experience that they wanted to deliver.

Also,

There were PLENTY of people who played JTL w/o a flight stick, using mouse mode, and were VERY effective in PVP. I could never do it, but I know it was done and done well.

While I want the OPTION to be able to use one in GS, I think that those who did would actually be at a disadvantage unless you were really, REALLY, good.

3) GS does not need joystick support.. It isn't what most would call a traditional flight sim.. Nor is it intended to be.. If your only justification is to compare it to other games that have a cockpit view then you are exposing the flaw in your own argument..

4) As mentioned above, there is some evidence that people using a controller might have a slight edge over those that don't.. :rolleyes:

3. That's your opinion....judging from the number of threads asking for js support, BW NEEDS to take this seriously.

4. This is by far the LAMEST EXCUSE I'VE SEEN. To Say "we're not adding it because someone with a js MIGHT have an advantage is BS. Someone with a 12 button mouse & gaming keyboard MIGHT have an advantage over someone with a 3 button mouse & standard keyboard. Someone with a high speed cable internet connection MIGHT have an advantage over someone with a med speed dsl connection.

And to say they don't want ppl to have to buy a new accessory....GTFOHWTS....This is the same company who sold a swtor themed keyboards & mouse. So you telling me that the company who has sand for sale in the cartel market:rak_04: that can only be used on tattoine wouldn't seize the opportunity to make a Swtor themed joystick for $40-50 that ppl would buy without hesitation?

We ALL want GSF to be successful....so how about we stop "pooping" on ppl who are simply asking for an additional way to control the ships so maybe WE can enjoy the addition as much as Y'ALL do.

3. That's your opinion....judging from the number of threads asking for js support, BW NEEDS to take this seriously.

4. This is by far the LAMEST EXCUSE I'VE SEEN. To Say "we're not adding it because someone with a js MIGHT have an advantage is BS. Someone with a 12 button mouse & gaming keyboard MIGHT have an advantage over someone with a 3 button mouse & standard keyboard. Someone with a high speed cable internet connection MIGHT have an advantage over someone with a med speed dsl connection.

And to say they don't want ppl to have to buy a new accessory....GTFOHWTS....This is the same company who sold a swtor themed keyboards & mouse. So you telling me that the company who has sand for sale in the cartel market:rak_04: that can only be used on tattoine wouldn't seize the opportunity to make a Swtor themed joystick for $40-50 that ppl would buy without hesitation?

We ALL want GSF to be successful....so how about we stop "pooping" on ppl who are simply asking for an additional way to control the ships so maybe WE can enjoy the addition as much as Y'ALL do.

There's nothing wrong with them eventually getting around to maybe adding joystick support as long as having a Joystick doesn't give a noticeable advantage over keyboard/mouse players.

Otherwise, it'll become a required asset in order to compete and they don't want to force their players to have to buy a new asset in order to play GS competitively.

1) How about we stop making threads about the same topic.. Some would call that spam.. This is the 2nd I have seen from you so far..

2) Stop comparing games that have a first person perspective and cockpit view to this one.. GS is third person and no cockpit view..

How about you stop attacking the OP over your shiny new toy. He has a right to post his opinion but you seem to be johnny on the spot with what ever he post in both threads.

To the OP the controls on joystick and with keyboard were brought up in beta most beta testers said this seems clunky and slow to respond compare to any space game. To reinvent the wheel into a square one is great just not great for performance. We ended up with the controls we have even after we commented on them.

You are comparing a mouse with a mouse and you want to call what I said as being lame?? Do you even know what a controller is or what it does?? I would hate to think that you don't.. But if your only example is that a mouse with more buttons is better than a mouse with less, then you either no nothing about a controller or nothing about GS.. I'll let you decide..

Yes it is the same company that sold a SWTOR keyboard, mouse, and mouse pad.. That nobody was required to buy.. Your point being.. Because so far you haven't made one..

Yes we all want GS to be successful.. Adding controller support isn't going to make it successful.. I am sorry if you just can't deal with sound arguments based on actual facts and information..

You have compared a mouse to a mouse.. Complained that Bioware had Razer make a collectible keyboard, mouse, and mouse pad.. As if either of those things actually amount to a point that is based on logic.. Also, making a themed joystick is irrelevant.. You are totally missing the point here.. Bioware doesn't want to add something that would require people to buy something to play.. It isn't an issue of whether some would or not.. I am sure some would.. Would everyone?? Probably not.. There in lies the issue..

Judging by the number of threads.. There actually hasn't been that many.. Not to mention, the OP of this one made two threads.. Do we count these threads as 1 or 2?? You also can't count the ones before launch because they were before launch.. How can someone have any kind of an opinion on what would be better if they have never played something.. I don't feel someone is qualified to make any suggestions if they know nothing about it.. All people say was the demo videos and wanted a joystick.. I guess watching Nascar would make someone qualified to race?? Let alone make suggestions..

The people that want a controller need to address the points that have been made by Bioware, others, and myself.. That is just how it is.. Bioware has already come out against the use of a controller.. Most of the people in the beta came out against the use of a controller.. It is just not something that is needed.. It wouldn't be worth the effort to do..

Sorry if you disagree.. :rolleyes:

Edited by MajikMyst

How about you stop attacking the OP over your shiny new toy. He has a right to post his opinion but you seem to be johnny on the spot with what ever he post in both threads.

To the OP the controls on joystick and with keyboard were brought up in beta most beta testers said this seems clunky and slow to respond compare to any space game. To reinvent the wheel into a square one is great just not great for performance. We ended up with the controls we have even after we commented on them.

Did you read my post or just glossed over it and missed the first 90%

I haven't attacked the OP at all.. It isn't my shiny new toy.. Thanks for being insulting.. I also have the right to post.. Did you forget that?? Johnny on the spot?? About what and so what?? Why cares and why do you?? Are you implying that I do not have the right to respond??

I didn't think so.. If you aren't going to read my post, then do yourself a favor and don't respond.. You make yourself look foolish when you are denying the right for someone to post while you are telling them that someone else has a right to post.. Hypocrite much?? :rolleyes:

Edited by MajikMyst

As I specifically said, nowadays, you can just plug a X-360 wired controller into your PC to have a very reliable controller.

They sell at what, 15$ at Best Buy ?

BLAH!!! I wish.. Last time I was there, all they had were the ones made by Microsoft for $49.99.. I have a cheap madcatz one now, and it is sorta broke in that it sorta works.. :p

I find 49.99$ a bit step (on amazon, bran news ones are 35$) but my point was mostly that any gamer with a X-360 can have a free reliable controller.

I do think that most TOR players in North America must know someone with a X-360 and a old wired controller they no longer use, thank you Wireless.

Edited by Angedechu

I find 49.99$ a bit step (on amazon, bran news ones are 35$) but my point was mostly that any gamer with a X-360 can have a free reliable controller.

I do think that most TOR players in North America must know someone with a X-360 and a old wired controller they no longer use, thank you Wireless.

I won't do wireless.. Call me old school.. I am terrified of the battery dying during some big important fight.. I call it murphy's law and I try never to challenge it..

I am prolly going to pick one up from Amazon.. They have them for $31.00.. So good call on that one.. :)

You are comparing a mouse with a mouse and you want to call what I said as being lame?? Do you even know what a controller is or what it does?? I would hate to think that you don't.. But if your only example is that a mouse with more buttons is better than a mouse with less, then you either no nothing about a controller or nothing about GS.. I'll let you decide..

Yes it is the same company that sold a SWTOR keyboard, mouse, and mouse pad.. That nobody was required to buy.. Your point being.. Because so far you haven't made one..

Yes we all want GS to be successful.. Adding controller support isn't going to make it successful.. I am sorry if you just can't deal with sound arguments based on actual facts and information..

You have compared a mouse to a mouse.. Complained that Bioware had Razer make a collectible keyboard, mouse, and keyboard.. As if either of those things actually amount to a point that is based on logic..

Judging by the number of threads.. There actually hasn't been that many.. You also can't count the ones before launch because they were before launch.. How can someone have any kind of an opinion on what would be better if they have never played something.. That would be like me saying that a joystick would be better in a race care, even though, I have no experience racing in a car..

The people that want a controller need to address the points that have been made by Bioware, others, and myself.. That is just how it is.. Bioware has already come out against the use of a controller.. Most of the people in the beta came out against the use of a controller.. It is just not something that is needed.. It wouldn't be worth the effort to do..

Sorry if you disagree.. :rolleyes:

Dude....WTH are you talking about? Yea I'm comparing a mouse with a mouse....because THEY'RE BOTH MICE....And YOU ask if I know what a controller is. Well yes I do know what a controller is seeing as I own EVERY major game consolethat's been released since the Atari 2600 (all of which still work). But I'm seriously NOT going to have this discussion with you. I've made all the post I plan to on the topic. Either BW will listen & implement the changes, or they won't & they'll have another space mini game that just ignore. It's REALLY not that serious. It's not like I'm going to quit playing because of it. Bottom line....I've MADE my points....if your not bright enough to understand them, that's your problem NOT mine. Now smack yourself 6 times for that idiotic response.

Wow. You certainly are passionate. :o;)

As I specifically said, nowadays, you can just plug a X-360 wired controller into your PC to have a very reliable controller.

They sell at what, 15$ at Best Buy ?

Actually it's about $20 from any reliable seller, unless you count the Gamestop "Pro" discount, and even then you are getting a used controller. The cheapest one I found on bestbuy.com was about $17, and it was a Marketplace one from a seller with a 2.5 out of 5 rating.

Personally I don't buy and trade in enough at Gamestop anymore to make it worth the $15 to get my account back to the "Pro" level.

Or, how about you trust the decisions made by the devs? They had solid reasoning for not including joystick support. Sorry you're not happy with the decision, but it's time to get over it and move on.

Yeah I use a wired x-360 controller , I have done so since day 1 of early access of the whole game. Also it was just the case of changing the keybinds within GS and also I had to adjust the actual mouse sensitivity from 32 to 28 to get it just right. The only bad thing ( but I think I can live with it ) is I had mapped left mouse on the back button and right mouse on the start button , you have to press the start button to fire missiles with your left thumb whilst piloting with the right thumbstick. It's not too much really.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Edited by BadOrb

Yeah I use a wired x-360 controller , I have done so since day 1 of early access of the whole game. Also it was just the case of changing the keybinds within GS and also I had to adjust the actual mouse sensitivity from 32 to 28 to get it just right. The only bad thing ( but I think I can live with it ) is I had mapped left mouse on the back button and right mouse on the start button , you have to press the start button to fire missiles with your left thumb whilst piloting with the right thumbstick. It's not too much really.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Which is basically /thread as far as I am concerned. People ARE using game pads both pre-GS and post-GS (in GS).

There is no need for a game developer to provide native support for something that quite frankly is well covered by various 3rd party sources (including the actual hardware manufacturers like Logitech). This whole line of complaining is pointless in that regard.

But again, as Sarfux pointed out.... learning new skills is good for human beings. GS does indeed play fine with a mouse and keyboard IF you are at least minimally self-motivated to learn something new.

Edited by Andryah