Bad healer needs help

Well somehow that makes sense, sharing damage between group members causes no one get too big spikes. But tank was in full health when vanguard asked for taunt, and tank refusing to taunt enemy led to vanguards death. Maybe I should have took enemy in order to save vanguard but I don't have tools to generate threat on enemy fast enough:confused: because dual wielder has random aggro so he wasn't on me all time. Most of time but not all time. Still, tank was only one who could have saved vanguard but he refused to do it.

After they kicked vanguard I really tought about leaving group:o

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Distributed tanking can be a valid strategy if you're playing with friends and know that everyone in the group is up to the task. I'd never do it in a PUG. Tanks have way more mitigation and can easily take two or three mobs for the same damage as a DPS. Not to mention defensive cooldowns which allow them to take even more mobs.

In some games sharing the damage works better than in others. SW:TOR has quite limited area healing abilities. By contrast, Anarchy Online has spammable group heals and longer HoTs, which means that a healer can get 3-4x more HPS by healing the entire group than by healing a single person.

If you ever feel like it,give The Harbinger a try,i've gotten quite a few decent tanks and rarely any bad ones.Maybe give mercenary/commando a try if you decide to do that,to get a feel for another healing class.

Good luck with future flashpoints,hopefully you get more tanks/dps that know what to do.

Yeah, Sage/Sorc and Operative/Scoundrel have zero AoE heals before they get ability from their skill tree around lvl 40

45 is the earliest you can get the top tier talent,and the lack of aoe can be a pain,but it is doable(not that it wouldn't hurt to get an aoe at lower levels) on the upside operatives/scoundrel get a stackable hot that can be easily refreshed,and sorc/sage get a bubble that absorbs damage.If you decide to level a merc on The Harbinger to check out the server and the class,i'll gladly help out with any questions you may have about merc healing ingame(or if you level one on eclipse just message me on the forums and i'll answer that way)

Ty for all advice. My situation is way better now, because I don't generate as much threat as before cause I only place HoTs on Tank. Also Surgical Probe and Healing Trance made difference. Often there is still 1-3 mobs on me but with bubble I can manage. If situation starts to seem too bad, if there is more than 3 mobs on me I can use Cloud Mind, even if some tanks and DPS seem not like it. Luckily most of them accept apologizes:-)

Good to hear things are improving for you personally, although it does sound like it's you that's finding your feet rather than getting better groups. You should NEVER have to apologise as a healer for getting mobs off you, they shouldn't even be on you in the first place.

Good to hear things are improving for you personally, although it does sound like it's you that's finding your feet rather than getting better groups. You should NEVER have to apologise as a healer for getting mobs off you, they shouldn't even be on you in the first place.

Basically you're right but I've been kicked times many enough:D so I prefer apologize my groupmates than sit in queue once again:o Its just one single time I've been kicked for using Cloud Mind, but better to be sure, right:p

Because mobs off from me means mobs to someone else. DPS aren't equipped to take hits and even tanks have their limits:confused: too many mobs will kill anyone:o

Also some tanks refuse to use taunts at all, because they think they are fatal for them.:(

On Mandalorian Raiders there comes fight against Imperial Boarding party where is 3 or 4 gold mobs. I was with badly geared vanguard dps, and shadowtank and sentinel from same guild. Before fight tank and sent explained tactic that would be everyone taking one mob, so no one would get too much damage. I agreed because I knew that guildies held power to kick me off, even if I personally prefer healing only one target instead of many of them because switching breaks my healing rotation.

So fight begun. I got dual wielder on me, tank took ranged officer and rest went to our poor vanguard. He had poor gear and he couldn't take many hits, and I couldn't heal him much since tank also needed heal and myself. Vanguard asked for taunt but tank answered something like I have one already. So additional mob would have been sentinels to take but ofc he had no taunt. I couldn't keep vanguard up and he fell. Inq that had been on him came to me but sentinel took that off. Luckily sent and shadow were geared so we didn't wipe.

Side note: vanguard got kicked. I felt sorry for him even if he was undergeared:( its stupid how two friends can kick whoever they wish:(

Maybe all talented players play with their guild so there is a lot uneducated in GF. Also Eclipse seems to be quite popular starter server:o

If those was my guild members I would leave guild... if it was just 3 of them in PUG I would tell them to play properly or kick me (no penalty) but I wouldn't learn them that they have power to screw over others while refuse to learn how game is supposed to be played.

Then those going straight in ignore list...

Get a good guild and stay out of GF, it seems rakghoul plague is spreading brain dead mentality.

Now I'm member of a guild. Managed finally find one:D I tried one FP with them and they said I performed well:) everything was smooth and silk there;) maybe it's not about me being good healer, it's propably they being good but at least no wipes or even deaths;) Tank propably had good mitigation he often had about seven mobs on him and yet even I managed easily keep him alive. DPS also performed great, it was fast run and no one pulled additional mobs. Tank even apologized me when few mobs came to me:p he was great. I hope I get to play with them again someday:)

Not to be a dick or anything but learn to use your aggro drop, you are going to need it when you have 7K HPS at end-game. I can't remember the last time I, on DD or healer, didnt use my aggro drop on pretty much every CD during group content. Edited by MidichIorian

Not to be a dick or anything but learn to use your aggro drop, you are going to need it when you have 7K HPS at end-game. I can't remember the last time I, on DD or healer, didnt use my aggro drop on pretty much every CD during group content.

7K HPS would be 3.5K TPS, which means a tank only needs to generate 2.7K to keep aggro off you assuming you are staying at range. If your tank can't manage at least 2.7K TPS, they need to work on their rotation. Outside of a couple of very specific situations, healer threat drops should be completely unnecessary at end game.

7K HPS would be 3.5K TPS, which means a tank only needs to generate 2.7K to keep aggro off you assuming you are staying at range. If your tank can't manage at least 2.7K TPS, they need to work on their rotation. Outside of a couple of very specific situations, healer threat drops should be completely unnecessary at end game.
That might be true if you're in a somewhat skilled guild but I've reched the point, both as DD and healer, where I'm actually surprised if the tank manages to keep aggro throughout a pug raid. And I'm not just refering to specific scenarios lthat are commonly known as tricky for the tank, like Kephess on TfB (aggro is always all over the place on that one).

Now I'm member of a guild. Managed finally find one:D I tried one FP with them and they said I performed well:) everything was smooth and silk there;) maybe it's not about me being good healer, it's propably they being good but at least no wipes or even deaths;) Tank propably had good mitigation he often had about seven mobs on him and yet even I managed easily keep him alive. DPS also performed great, it was fast run and no one pulled additional mobs. Tank even apologized me when few mobs came to me:p he was great. I hope I get to play with them again someday:)

See, it works :)

/friend them, ask in guild chat when you want a FP, ask there for advises also, nice guild can make so big difference in game play.

Only note, this is not WoW, normals running to healer have to be 1st DPS targets... it is tank fault only if stronger one/s from pack go for healer and each FP has at least 1 spread trash that need some DPS coordination (LOS pulls need it too).

That might be true if you're in a somewhat skilled guild but I've reched the point, both as DD and healer, where I'm actually surprised if the tank manages to keep aggro throughout a pug raid. And I'm not just refering to specific scenarios lthat are commonly known as tricky for the tank, like Kephess on TfB (aggro is always all over the place on that one).

Don't forget gear gaps in PuGs... we have played agro games with a friend... I used my 66/69s (66s main/off hands and some drop tank 69s) geared Shadow tank and he was on full 78 geared Sage DPS.

There is no way tank can keep agro with such cap (shadow rotation is not so complicated on stationary targets after all) without taunting... and there are some fights when taunt is not good to be used in wrong time.

Don't forget gear gaps in PuGs... we have played agro games with a friend... I used my 66/69s (66s main/off hands and some drop tank 69s) geared Shadow tank and he was on full 78 geared Sage DPS.

There is no way tank can keep agro with such cap (shadow rotation is not so complicated on stationary targets after all) without taunting... and there are some fights when taunt is not good to be used in wrong time.

That was with a geared DPS, and I'm not arguing that a geared DPS cannot pull threat from an undergeared tank. We are talking about pulling threat as a healer and needing to use threat drops, and I maintain that it just isn't a significant skill for a healer at endgame. There is quite literally only a single instance where I use a threat drop when I'm on my healer, and that's on TfB second phase. The common cases are:

1. You are doing story content where the incoming damage is trivial. You are not putting out 7K effective HPS, you will probably not even break 3K eHPS on average, unless you are solo healing. Even if your tank is in DPS gear with no mitigation, your eHPS are never going to be high enough to pull aggro from a boss. And note that it is effective HPS that matters - overhealing does not generate threat. Against trash pulls or adds, we already know that threat drops and guard do nothing for a healer's threat.

2. You are doing progession content that actually stresses your healing ability, the tank's mitigation, and the awareness of your DPS. You are not doing this content with a seriously undergeared tank. If your tank has the gear to survive the hits in the first place, they have the gear to hold threat off a healer. Probably not the most geared FOTM DPS, but that is what guards, taunts, and tank swaps are for.

Not to be a dick or anything but learn to use your aggro drop, you are going to need it when you have 7K HPS at end-game. I can't remember the last time I, on DD or healer, didnt use my aggro drop on pretty much every CD during group content.

As NoFishing commented, 7K HPS is not the same as 7K HPS effective. Overheals don't count towards threat.

Go look at the torparse statistics for healers. Pick any ops-level fight. The top players in a heal-intensive fight do closer to 4k effective.

It's not that using your threat drop is a bad idea, it's just that failing to use one's threat drop is not the reason mobs come after you ...

Threat drop is at least for me who am still leveling FP healer, useful tool, when there comes too many mobs on me to manage. It can save my life.

BUT with PUGs it has also caused one votekick and some annoyed responses from DPS/tank so I use it as little as possible:o

Threat drop is at least for me who am still leveling FP healer, useful tool, when there comes too many mobs on me to manage. It can save my life.

BUT with PUGs it has also caused one votekick and some annoyed responses from DPS/tank so I use it as little as possible:o

HAHAHAHA Don't worry about them they are idiots.

Threat dump is useless if the tank has not taunted the mobs or if the mobs have not been damaged. Say your threat with that mob is 100, ok so you have a special ability that will drop the threat by 99%, so now you only have 1% threat. Tank still has 0 threat since there has been no AoE taunt, and DPS has 0 since they have not damaged the mob, so 1 is still greater that 0, so they are still after you.

That said continue to use it if it makes you feel better, I use mine because I like the animation on the smuggler one. On your sawbones, use disappearing act, it drops you out of combat, so it is a 100% dump, the mobs will move to dps and tank with that. Then don't heal until you see the tank and dps with tunnel vision attacking the mobs, then go back to healing.

On your sage, pointed away from you group, use force push and then run to the middle of dps and the tank and wait for them to get a clue or to accidentally damage the mobs with AoE attacks.

Your job is to heal, not tank. Any good tank is not going to allow you to do their job, well unless you pull, you pull you tank. :p

I never use agro dump in progression raiding except in the very few fights that call for it (like TWH NIM). I have never pulled from the tank and I have been in the top 10 on TORparse more than a few times. Like that means something, it doesn't, but I am better geared than 99% of the players in 55 HMFP and I am not pulling from them either. My main is a sawbones.

Now the other day I did pull from tank and dps on my 72 gear sage in a 50 HMFP, but it was not from healing, it was from doing DPS. After playing a sawbones for 2 years, I would have sworn that could never happen.

For the most part Aggro Dump is a waste of a GCD for a healer. Again Adaliaya not saying don't use it, if it makes you feel better then by all means. To me panic causes most wipes, so if it makes you less panicky use it. It is also good practice for when you are playing dps.

It's not that using your threat drop is a bad idea, it's just that failing to use one's threat drop is not the reason mobs come after you ...

In operations with 2 healers, All aggro dump is going to do is possibly move the mobs over to the other healer. May be a decent idea if the other healer is a Commando in heavy aromer, but it would really tick off my sage in my group. :p Just starting doing 16m Ops, so that may be an idea there where it will be harder for them to figure out who did it. ;)

Edited by mikebevo

That was with a geared DPS, and I'm not arguing that a geared DPS cannot pull threat from an undergeared tank. We are talking about pulling threat as a healer and needing to use threat drops, and I maintain that it just isn't a significant skill for a healer at endgame. There is quite literally only a single instance where I use a threat drop when I'm on my healer, and that's on TfB second phase. The common cases are:

1. You are doing story content where the incoming damage is trivial. You are not putting out 7K effective HPS, you will probably not even break 3K eHPS on average, unless you are solo healing. Even if your tank is in DPS gear with no mitigation, your eHPS are never going to be high enough to pull aggro from a boss. And note that it is effective HPS that matters - overhealing does not generate threat. Against trash pulls or adds, we already know that threat drops and guard do nothing for a healer's threat.

2. You are doing progession content that actually stresses your healing ability, the tank's mitigation, and the awareness of your DPS. You are not doing this content with a seriously undergeared tank. If your tank has the gear to survive the hits in the first place, they have the gear to hold threat off a healer. Probably not the most geared FOTM DPS, but that is what guards, taunts, and tank swaps are for.

Only way I see mobs on healer is when they are not hit at all or there is agro dump / no agro list mechanic ... healing agro is no issue for any sane tank over same mob.

Large part of it due this over-healing mechanics ... other games had it backward - over-heal was multiplied as agro.

Here tanking and healing is different and intentionally some mobs are DPS job ... common reason healers get smashed are brain dead DPSs that doesn't follow kill order. There was so many times I have "tanked" & burned some mobs on my DDs just to remove them from healer... never got complains about that :)

But check again what I quoted, DD or heal ... for some DPS is easy to do it with lucky openers even on similar gear, on any DPS it is inevitable with gear gap.

I was just noting that when go as DD you have to expect that you may over agro some tanks (even if they are not bad ones) and react accordingly.

Those tank and DPSs was surely crying for place in your ignore list.

On FP ... if mobs are on you drop may only help tank/dps get them faster ... if nobody attack/attacked those mobs, drop will do nothing.

When you go to multiple healers content, drop most probably will send those mobs to next healer... if not attacked again.

Only problem is that finding replacement tank takes forever, so I decided to get along. It went well, tough when last boss had about 70% health left there was only me and DPS left. That was Cademimu and I just couldn't heal trough those fires. Then tank started to tell us die with purpose because he was bored. He was quite selfish tank. But we didn't wipe;)

Thanks for encouraging me, I almost gave up with my healers:-)

I healed a Cademimu where the tank stood in the fire died then cried. I stated cant heal thru the fire he said of sorry my bad. One of the dps stood and burned with him. Myself and the other dps finished near full health easily without them.