I don't want to tank

LordPorkins

To be honest, Mercenaries make much better DPS classes than Powertechs do. The Powertech is made to be a tanking class: you just won't do the same amount of damage that a Merc can do. The tradeoff is that you have higher survivability than a Merc, though. But if DPS is your main goal, and you don't even want to do off-tanking, then Mercenary is the clear choice.

To be honest, Mercenaries make much better DPS classes than Powertechs do. The Powertech is made to be a tanking class: you just won't do the same amount of damage that a Merc can do. The tradeoff is that you have higher survivability than a Merc, though. But if DPS is your main goal, and you don't even want to do off-tanking, then Mercenary is the clear choice.

Why would a Merc do more damage than a powertech? We both have 2 talent trees dedicated to damage. Sure they can equip another blaster but that doesnt really affect anything except looks. As far as i know (correct me if im wrong though) none of our abilites, not even rapid shots "use" the damage of the offhand blaster. And if you just compare the stats to our power generators, they are exactly the same.

http://db.darthhater.com/items/6766/battlemaster_eliminators_power_generator/

http://db.darthhater.com/items/36015/battlemaster_eliminators_offhand_blaster/

Adv prototype just sucks right now, is all. Not really a good reason to shy away from Powertech if you want to dps. Pyrotech is great damage if you're decent at managing heat & cooldowns. But if you just want to play a Bounty Hunter for the ....bounty hunting? Then play either one, because they both have the same armor, same story, and some of the same abilities.

Do not choose your advanced class based on current game balance. If you can be assured of anything in an MMO, it's that balance will be changed often.

Pick this advanced class that matches your playstyle. Powertech DPS is just fine. Anyone who says otherwise is frankly just guessing anyway, since there currently aren't any tools to actually compare DPS.

Why would a Merc do more damage than a powertech? We both have 2 talent trees dedicated to damage. Sure they can equip another blaster but that doesnt really affect anything except looks. As far as i know (correct me if im wrong though) none of our abilites, not even rapid shots "use" the damage of the offhand blaster. And if you just compare the stats to our power generators, they are exactly the same.

As I understand it, Mercenary abilities like Fusion Missile, Sweeping Blasters, and such contribute to damage significantly. I'm not saying a Powertech can't do damage, but I do believe that if someone has zero interest in tanking then Mercenaries have an advantage (even if it isn't huge, I've been led to believe it exists nonetheless).

On the other hand, if someone wanted to be a DPS who tanks in their off time, then by all means go Powertech Pyrotech ad respec to Shieldtech later on.

Unload, and rapid shots use both blasters if you are a merc, thus the "uses both blasters if equipped" line. and they get sweeping blasters which uses both; as does their power shot.

The big dps comes from the fact that their arsenal tree has.. several talents to boost it, tracer missile hits like a truck (harder than anything a PT has), heatseeker does more damage if you tracer them up, and their unload, in addtion to using two blasters, has 33% damage from a talent, and their tracer missiles/power shot have a 30% chance to reset it's CD and make it do an additional 25% damage, and have an additional 30% critical damage.

.. So unload hits like a truck for them, crits like a truck, s easily spammed due to it being reset by another big hitter which lowers their armor per hit.

Arsenal tree is just built better than the AP tree, s'all

Sorry have to say this. Load of rubbish. Have you played both Merc and Powertech in a dps spec? Mercenary and powertech do pretty much the same amount of damage, yes merc might do a tiny bit more but they'll die quicker. Also powertech pyro > Merc pyro. If DPS is your main goal go with either. Do you want to have more fun while dpsing? Go powertech. Do you want to rely heavily on using the same move 50% of the time? Go merc. Do you want to range dps? go Merc. Do you want to melee and mid range dps? Go powertech. All in all they are practically equal dps wise and therefore having the extra survivability probably gives the advantage to the pt unless you want to heal. This is coming from a player who has both a merc and a powertech.

Yeah Arsenal > Adv Proto. But guess what, Merc Pyro < PT Pyro

OK I need your help :

I play a lot of PvP and want to respec so that I can DPS in HM's and still be able to PvP and stand a chance of keeping up with the more 'mainstream' PvP classes.

Can you help me by advising me how to place my skill points? At the moment I am playing a 21/2/18 which is great in PvP but it isn't giving the DPS I need for the flash point bosses.

OK I need your help :

I play a lot of PvP and want to respec so that I can DPS in HM's and still be able to PvP and stand a chance of keeping up with the more 'mainstream' PvP classes.

Can you help me by advising me how to place my skill points? At the moment I am playing a 21/2/18 which is great in PvP but it isn't giving the DPS I need for the flash point bosses.

If your looking for 'The' Dps Powertech spec this is the one you want:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301bMZMsZfhbrzGGMs.1

It dishes out great damage

Sorry have to say this. Load of rubbish. Have you played both Merc and Powertech in a dps spec? Mercenary and powertech do pretty much the same amount of damage, yes merc might do a tiny bit more but they'll die quicker. Also powertech pyro > Merc pyro. If DPS is your main goal go with either. Do you want to have more fun while dpsing? Go powertech. Do you want to rely heavily on using the same move 50% of the time? Go merc. Do you want to range dps? go Merc. Do you want to melee and mid range dps? Go powertech. All in all they are practically equal dps wise and therefore having the extra survivability probably gives the advantage to the pt unless you want to heal. This is coming from a player who has both a merc and a powertech.

I completely agree...the only time a Bounty Hunter out deeps me in WZs is if its another pyrotech who is better geared than me. Its not often that I see Mercs doing more damage than me but it does happen and I am a standard pyro build.

OK I need your help :

I use that build for HM flashpoints and raids (I tank trash and when needed on some EV bosses, but otherwise dps). The dps it does is fine. Just have to learn to fish for procs and manage heat. It's a bit streaky, though, but I pull aggro constantly with CGC on.

Disagree to some of the comments in here. Powertech is useful an viable in Raid dps. Would like to make one thing clear however, in my opp. Avanced proto = useless.

Most bosses have mechanics which involve moving and attacking frequently. Rarely do u stay still for prolonged periods. What does this mean? Well you don't have cast times as a powertech, so do the maths. You can also do a good rotation before even arriving in melee or whilst chasing a boss. Yes you won't be at 100% of your potential. But better that than just spending the time running upto a boss.

Overall, although all the trees for each advance class aren't entirely balanced, the powertech is perfectly viable as dps (pyro). Don't want to blow my own trumpet but i'm the highest dps within my guild an raids. Anyone who assumes merc is higher hasn't fully appreciated how well the pyrotech procs rail shot. - On a side note. A macroable button on a mouse is quite essential to get the best out of pyrotech. Either that or you end up spend your time staring at the taskbar.

On a side note. A macroable button on a mouse is quite essential to get the best out of pyrotech. Either that or you end up spend your time staring at the taskbar.

Could you explain? I have a G13 so can macro a button if need be.

Edited by YourMumRang

On a side note. A macroable button on a mouse is quite essential to get the best out of pyrotech. Either that or you end up spend your time staring at the taskbar.

I've spent all my time as a shieldtech, so I'm not educated to this point as pertains to the Pyro tech... but I DO spend too much time watching for my rocket punch procs. Can you explain how a macroable mouse helps here?

Literally almost every word of this is wrong, It is almost comical how little this person know about this class.

Powertech does very good damage, better in than mercenary in many cases, not to mention they have the ability to move. Mercenary is a turret, it stands in one place, takes time to set up, and then hits hard every 3 seconds. PTs run around doing constant damage and actually pyrotech does MORE damage than any of the mercenary trees, Especially in pvp.

To be honest, Powertech make much better DPS classes than mercenaries do. The mercenary is made to be a healing class: you just won't do the same amount of damage that a PTs can do. The tradeoff is that you have lower survivability than a PT, though. But if DPS is your main goal, and you don't even want to do off-healing, then Powertech is the clear choice.

Greetings, again. Re the macro function. As you will know. There is an are no macros in the game. What is possible however is to programme a mouse button, using software for that peripheral, to cast a cast sequence. What you basically sort is a priority system.

Eg. one macro coul be F1 F2 F3 F4, so the macro will cast each in sequence.

You will then assign within the game (as an eg)

F1 to Rail shot,

F 2 Rocket Punch,

F3 to Fire Blast,

F4 to Rapi shots.

What this will o is each time you press the bitton it will try to activate them in sequence, the game will then utilise the first Usable move. For those with limite thinking capacity.

Itll try Rail shot, then Try Rocket Punch then Try fire blast.

Only down side is each time you use the macro button you will get a few "not reayd yet" buttons.

Hope this isn't breaking any rules, if so please inform me as I love my bounty hunter!

-I also accept that I am actually, for the majority of the time, a 1 button class. I don't see myself as one. But when you are playing a game which actively encourages you to look at the taskbar more than the game, then I think its pretty allowable. (Braces myself for incoming trolling)

Well, it certainly seems like people disagree with my assessment of Powertech DPS. And I'm certainly not afraid to admit I was wrong. To be honest, my experience with a Powertech has been with tanking spec, so my knowledge is not complete. I suppose my opinion is influenced by the fact that the vast majority of Bounty Hunter DPS characters I see are Mercenaries. But again, this is anecdotal evidence and not empirical. But if Powertech DPS is better than Merc DPS, then for my own edification, why are the servers crawling with Mercs and there are hardly any Powertechs?

then for my own edification, why are the servers crawling with Mercs and there are hardly any Powertechs?

It could be that its the heals/dps choice rather than the tank/dps choice. Not many people like to tank because you get blamed for everything in PVE and in PvP you live less time than a sorc (damn bubbles!).