Vanguard vs. Powertech animations

Ahrounmoon

My first character I made was a bounty hunter powertech. The playstyle was awesome, very intuitive and natural to me. The aesthetics were wonderful, too. Fire everywhere! Only one problem.

My friends wanted to play Republic.

So, I've already seen some of the basics from trying out a commando as DPS. I'm not overly enamored with the idea of a "swiss army gun" where the one gun fires all my different attacks. With bounty hunters it works because the missiles and fire come from the offhand part of the armor, not the gun. Stockstrike is visually boring during levels 1-10, but I did notice with the commando once I got the assault cannon the animation changed.

So, there's a couple attacks from vanguard I haven't seen. Those are the analogues to flame burst and flame sweep. Am I correct in assuming those are going to be visually similar to the big cone attack troopers get early on? Also, is the stockstrike animation for vanguards going to be the same as the basic trooper animation since they're still using blaster rifles?

I feel silly admitting how much this matters, but I have a Shadow at level 27 already as well for the Republic characters. I'd rather not lose more time making a new alt only to confirm I don't really like the way it looks.

Edit- One thing I forgot to mention. I'd specifically be looking to tank with this character.

Edited by Ahrounmoon

Yeah, Vanguards use the same rifle Stockstrike animation early troopers do. Flame Burst's equivalent is Ion Pulse, which looks like a quick burst of electricity from your rifle. Sorta like Pulse Cannon but smaller and brief. Flame Sweep's equivalent is Explosive Surge, which looks like the Vanguard presses a button and sends an explosion in all directions from their armor.

Edit: Not sure how I managed to time that to only one minute after you gave up on the question.

Edited by WinterWraith

Yea the above poster answered the OP's questions.

But I'll add my thoughts to the general topic of Vanguard vs Powertech animations. While the bounty hunter's wrist tech and reload animation is pretty nifty, I prefer the trooper's armor, grenades, and rifle over the bounty hunter's counterparts like the pistol, and at this moment the BH armor design leaves a lot to be desired too, imo.

In general, the Trooper animations are about 0.25-0.5 seconds longer than the BH counterpart. I'm debating whether I should switch to Powertech because their abilities appear much more responsive.

One thing if you could confirm for me: The trooper Storm ability will leap in slow motion when launched at minimum distance. I think this happens because of the longer animation (run + leap) that the trooper does. The game engine forces the ability to complete the animation so it has to slow the speed down to do it. Does the Powertech Jetcharge have the same slowdown when charging from minimum range? Their animation seems much quicker and I wonder if it therefore charges quicker from minimum distance.

One thing if you could confirm for me: The trooper Storm ability will leap in slow motion when launched at minimum distance. I think this happens because of the longer animation (run + leap) that the trooper does. The game engine forces the ability to complete the animation so it has to slow the speed down to do it. Does the Powertech Jetcharge have the same slowdown when charging from minimum range? Their animation seems much quicker and I wonder if it therefore charges quicker from minimum distance.

Don't know about the Powertech's Jet Charge, but this happens with the Sith Warrior's Force Charge as well so I assume it's the same for all charge abilities.

Well I also have a Sith Warrior and it's not quite as slow as the Trooper. From absolute minimum range, the leap is so slow that it literally reaches the target no faster than had you simply ran towards it. The animation for Jet Charge is even shorter than the warrior's so I wonder if it suffers the least amount of delay. Edited by Taunque

I was thinking this as well, I even leveled a powertech to 17 even though I have a 39 vanguard. Then I swapped from my giant gun with a scope to an smg type rifle and everything suddenly made more sense to me in my head. What with all the different settings on the gun and the fact that you run around 4-10M in fights.

I prefere rifle over dinky pistol and throwing a grenade over shooting a dart. BH possibly has the coolest recharge out of all the classes imo. I still like stockstrike simply because smashing someone in the face with the butt of my rifle appeals to me. There is a reason most ppl in melee range with a gun pistol whip over upercutting them.....just saying.

Im actually starting to take a real dislike to our animations. The shooting stance is all squiffy and the swissy army gun effects are wearing a bit thin now, especially the long delays in setting up for the various shots, thats just horrible.

BH attacks almost have no delay, so you can use an ability RIGHT after the next one.

There is another thread dedicated to the broken animations for both Mortar Round and Full Auto. "The Developer's are aware of the problem and are looking for a solution". Read this as it's broke we don't know why but we're working on fixing it.

There is another thread dedicated to the broken animations for both Mortar Round and Full Auto. "The Developer's are aware of the problem and are looking for a solution". Read this as it's broke we don't know why but we're working on fixing it.

looking for a solution? If the problem is that our animations take longer...stop favoring the empire and reduce the number of frames required for the different actions. There should be no reason we have to wait for our animation to finish in order to do the next action.

I have to say I played Powertech to level 41, and now im playing a vanguard, I find them much alower, mortor strike, seems soo rediculasly slow, like it pauses for 3 seconds, while death from above seems instant. I hope this will get fixed, I find it annoying