Developer Update: Class Changes and Balance in Game Update 1.4

CourtneyWoods

Yet another nerf to the weakest PvP AC. Seriously? Remove a knockback (one of our few counters for sins/marauders/juggs) and replace it with a melee range root for a RANGED class? Does that not strike you as insanely stupid?

Oh, and you reduced my Commando's stun to 10m, because apparently the corpse is still warm so beat it some more.

Please, take the interrupt back. Just leave us alone already.

Honestly exactly what this guy said. In no way to can I see this as a buff to merc dps that were already struggling in pvp. I am not sure what you were thinking, but limiting the control of the advanced class with the least amount of control abilities is beyond stupid. These changes in the balance update really make me doubt bioware's ability to make decisions about pvp.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SAVE FORCE WAVE!

SAVE FORCE WAVE!

SAVE FORCE WAVE!

SAVE FORCE WAVE!

As a Consular Tank who feels completely useless 90% of the time. This ability at least made me feel powerful. It was my favorite ability!!!! It was fun to use as well!!

In addition it just looks cool, it's a cool move. Hitting the people in front is lame looking, and not unique as far as gameplay goes. All characters hit things in front. That's why AOE is unique.

Also it does a lot of damage. Hitting 4 to 5 people at once for 600 damage is good, especially when your a REAL tank (based on protection not damage). IF it only hits the people in front we will in fact be nerfed AGAIN!!! For someone like me who is already wasting his time in SURVIVOR gear I am very upset.

I do not appreciate this. SWTOR is giving us other advantages with stealth, but then takes away force waves damage, and cool look, and feel.

VERY VERY VERY ANGRY. WITH ALL THE TIME I PLAY ON THIS GAME....WHAT A WASTE!!

THIS WILL TAKE A LOT OF FUN OUT OF PLAYING A CONSULAR!!!

Edited by NoaFlux

save force wave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS TOO MANY CHANGES TO THE JEDI SHADOW CLASS AT ONCE.

FORCE SPEED/ FORCE WAVE/ AND STEALTH CHANGES!!??? ALL AT ONCE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD? WHAT?? TAKE YOUR TIME AND THINK ABOUT IT SWTOR!!

Edited by NoaFlux

This is what happens when you use the same rule set for PVE and PVP. Any changes for the sake of PVP or raiding will hurt PVE solo and small group play.

Unfortunately for Bioware the latter is probably the games largest base. They have to do something to stem the PVP losses, but it seems they will hurt PVE solo play as a result.

I will withhold judgement until I try the changes, but I'm not thrilled with them on the surface.

And this game can't afford to make negative changes. There is enough holding it down as it is.

This is what happens when you use the same rule set for PVE and PVP. Any changes for the sake of PVP or raiding will hurt PVE solo and small group play.

Unfortunately for Bioware the latter is probably the games largest base. They have to do something to stem the PVP losses, but it seems they will hurt PVE solo play as a result.

I will withhold judgement until I try the changes, but I'm not thrilled with them on the surface.

And this game can't afford to make negative changes. There is enough holding it down as it is.

pvp'rs and pve'rs want force wave. i am a pvp'r and want it, other pve'rs want it.

Having read the changes, I am borderline happy/indifferent to the changes for 1.4, except for the force stun range reduction.

I have a shadow tank, and the only skills that have 30m range are force pull and force stun. Both of these have relatively long cooldowns. For warzones that have objectives where opponents have to arm/disarm/slice, I use these two skills to interrupt caps from 30m. By reducing the range of force stun to 10m, I will only have one skill that has a 30m range, and with a long cooldown (45s as compared to a knight/warrior 15s 30m charge).

As such, relative to other classes, even knights/warriors, shadows will be the most affected by the range reduction of force stun. Our ability to interrupt caps will be next to non-existent.

I know that this post will probably be ignored by most players and all BW developers, but if by any chance someone from BW do read this, kindly consider how the range reduction will have a considerable effect on shadows/assassins.

My suggestion is to keep the range of force stun to 30m, but the stun being effective only at 10m. This will be in line with the intentions of the developers, as well as allowing shadows/assassins to better emergency cap interrupt.

You still have force wave, and its better just wait. 15 meters is a HUGE cone you will just have to learn to use it differently as defence. It will be an area get them the hell off you move now. Just target someone and see how far 15m really is. Then look at a 1/3 of the circumference of the circle around your toon. ALL those people are gone now.

Having read the changes, I am borderline happy/indifferent to the changes for 1.4, except for the force stun range reduction.

I have a shadow tank, and the only skills that have 30m range are force pull and force stun. Both of these have relatively long cooldowns. For warzones that have objectives where opponents have to arm/disarm/slice, I use these two skills to interrupt caps from 30m. By reducing the range of force stun to 10m, I will only have one skill that has a 30m range, and with a long cooldown (45s as compared to a knight/warrior 15s 30m charge).

As such, relative to other classes, even knights/warriors, shadows will be the most affected by the range reduction of force stun. Our ability to interrupt caps will be next to non-existent.

I know that this post will probably be ignored by most players and all BW developers, but if by any chance someone from BW do read this, kindly consider how the range reduction will have a considerable effect on shadows/assassins.

My suggestion is to keep the range of force stun to 30m, but the stun being effective only at 10m. This will be in line with the intentions of the developers, as well as allowing shadows/assassins to better emergency cap interrupt.

I definetly second this, have the ability deal damage and interupt capping, but only apply the stun inside of 10m. Fine with it like that. Everything other than this looks good best I can tell, although what will be the cool down on assassin's force speed talented is still up in the air.....

And to the people complaining about these changes hurting PVE, please explain how these changes affect fighting an operation boss???? Because if you're complaining about leveling content being bothered, there is something wrong. Leveling is insanely easy....... And if you're knocking trash away from the tank/melee dps you're doing it wrong.

Looks like PVP ruins another fine game. Why can't devs think oh, lets improve the underpowered instead of swinging the nerf bat over and over till there is nothing left.

BTW, LEAVE ME MERC ALONE!

I'm a merc healer, and nothing I see here hurts me. Only close thing would be lowered range with electro dart, but if it's further than that, I probably don't need to use it anyway.

I'm a merc healer, and nothing I see here hurts me. Only close thing would be lowered range with electro dart, but if it's further than that, I probably don't need to use it anyway.

For a Healer no there isnt really but Arsenal tree has had a kick up the bum.

I don't like the changes to force wave.. Nor do I like the idea of PVE being ruined in favor of PVP..

You call the changes to force wave balancing for PVP?? Did you nerf Force leap or any kind of force pull?? Did you limit any of the skills that can be used to counter force wave?? No?? How is that balanced?? Leave force wave alone!! If anything give it a little more range, and still be 360 degrees..

There is no reason to reduce the distance of force stun.. As a tank in PVE.. This is a valuable skill to help protect the healer when taunts are down..

Bioware.. Stop balancing PVP and kicking PVE in the nuts.. Thanks..

Taunts don't work in PVP like they do in PVE.. Which is fine.. My point being you need to start giving some skills alternate effects.. How they work in PVE doesn't have to be the same in PVP.. Think about it..

Edited by MajikMyst

Overload changes have to be reconsidered. In PVP (especially rateds), a healer has multiple players trying to kill them at once. Those players don't only attack at 120 degrees in front of my character. So while your light armor wearing sorc is trying to heal herself and the group she is supporting while being attacked from players 360 degrees around her, you want her to turn and use overload in hopes of catching the majority of them.....

Overload as it stands today is a 2 second break from melee attacks that might help me move away in time to squeeze one heal before they are back on me.

yeah right.

Jesus, BioWare just has a field day destroying the hope of Sage/Sorc players with every class balance.. Seriously, no full AoE knockback and only a 10m stun? What the **** is this? The whole point of playing ranged classes is to, well.. Stay at range.. To have to move into melee range to pop off a CC is beyond ridiculous.

A lot of these changes really do seem completely unnecessary. Class balance shouldn't be determined by PUG groups, because there is bugger all coordination in those groups.

What we want for these abilities is to create distance between you and your target(s), but what frequently occurs is a bad experience for incidental nearby enemies that aren’t your intended target(s).

Whoopdy-flippin'-ding. Is a bad experience being knocked back into acid pits and fire pits? Or into the pit off of a ramp in huttball? If so, players need to harden up and stop being little *****es. And/or learn to play their class effectively to either avoid knockbacks, or ensure that when a knockback is used, they are hit upwards rather than outwards (by jumping towards and above the sage/sorc when they use a knockback).. People's poor judgement and positioning shouldn't be reason enough to nerf classes they dislike versing.

Edited by BennyKrak

Okay i really have to know how Merc's keep getting buffed every patch.. Can Sorc's and Merc's change leads please. Cause whoever the Merc lead is has some dirt on someone.

Overload was probably the only thing keeping Sorc's viable in huttball. Being able to protect themselves and keep people off their ledges. So now we have to try and run to the side of someone while turning into them and then hitting overload. In that amount of time everyone else just hits their knockback and we are gone. The knockback radius on Overload is to short to knock people on angles. If you are going to nerf a knockback it needs to be evenly. I remember a Dev saying the reason Merc's didn't have a interrupt was because they had such a OP knockback. Now you give them an interrupt and another stun but leave their knockback just as OP as it was before? Ohh and grats on your new heal from doing nothing more than casting tracer missles.

"Jet Boost and Concussion Charge behave similarly, but they are limited to the Mercenary and Commando. Changing them has a less effective impact on the game, and those Advanced Classes play better with a stronger ability on a longer cooldown."

Let me explain how idiotic this statement is:

1. "Jet Boost and Concussion Charge behave similarly" - Exactly so nerf them evenly.

2. "but they are limited to the Mercenary and Commando" - Uhh Overload is limited to only Sorc/Sages. what was this meant to say?

3. "Changing them has a less effective impact on the game" lol, see number 1.. they work the same.. so they effect the game the same. Except these don't have animation lag like overload has. making it better than overload and a longer pushback. so it actually has a more effective impact on the game.

Sorc's being a 30 meter class now can only stun in a 10m range? So i'm going to now run 20 meters to stun someone for 4 seconds. sounds legit.....yes, i know it will still work on melee.

Sorc's are already the redheaded stepchild of PVP and you are just making it worse.

We have the lowest armor value, no defense increases, no burst, and long heals. The pluses we had to stay alive were the interrupt, stun, bubble, and the overload. You have now taken 2 of those away in most situations. Why not just take the bubble and admit you don't want the class around anyone. You already drove most of the player base away. Man up and just change everyone to Mercs.

Please do us all a favor and take the "Balance" portion out of this update.. it's not balance its further pushing the unevenness.

1. what?

2. overload is usable by assassin and sorcerer. jet boost is not usable by powertech.

3. how interesting it would be if every class had the same knockback effects... /sarcasm

I'm completely sick of this BS.

In the 9 months I've been playing this game, every patch and update has been PvP focused. I am paying to play an MMO in a Star Wars universe. Not run around warzones repeatedly and mindlessly killing other players. There are already too many games out there for this. Why waste the Star Wars IP on PvP?

Bioware has wasted any chance they had at making an enduring Star Wars MMO my squandering this first year So many people have left over lack of content, and all we get are PvP balance and more warzones...

Seriously, I'm done. Back to real life for me...

Hilarious, in 1.2 the nerf to Force Surge/Resplendance to no longer take away the health penalty from it's proc is one of the two major Sorc/Sage nerfs that caused endless drama on the forums and led to the mass healer exodus, Part of the reason for it's justification was having bottomless force pools in PvE. Now, 5 months later, they essentially undo that nerf in a roundabout fashion with Unnatural Preservation/Force Mend because the class became absurdly squishy in PvP. Bioware's continued absurd balancing at it's finest.

Hopefully enough of a stink can be raised to get the Overload change reverted before it hits PTS, because once it does, it is most certainly going live if past PTS patches are any indication.

As a Sorc healer, I have to say I HATE the Overload change and feel it is going to affect healer survivability negatively.

I primarily use Overload in two situations in PvP.

1. I'm getting swarmed and stunned. Foes all around beating me and stunning me, I spam my Overload button til I break free of stun and can get it off. It gives me breathing room and a chance to survive. NOW, in the middle of a group of foes who are beating and stunning my ***, I will need to maneuver around, FACE them, and then hit Overload? The only GOOD news is I won't need to sit on another healer to give them room.

2. I'm running like hell with someone beating on my *** (I also do this in PVE). Now I'm going to have to turn around, run MORE SLOWLY backwards and blast them while I continue to take damage.

This.

While I strongly agree with the nerf to stun range for a multitude of reasons, most of which revolve around hutt ball and waiting for someone to step onto the fire trap and stunning them from a safe distance...

I -strongly- disagree with a nerf or ANY change to Overload/Force Wave because of the above listed reasons. Which also applies to assassins/shadows. 19/20 fights that you need to get away from, overload is the difference between making a clean get away, or getting killed, and by now, we're all just too used to playing it a certain way and being able to rely on it. I can go on, and on, and on, but I think I've made my point, and I'm sure others who have more time to think more deeply on the mater will make a stronger case than I can int he time I have.

Healers have it hard enough in this game as it is, they don't need to be looking to position themselves for a knock back as well. It isn't going to be fun and interesting, this will just be crippling and annoying.

Edited by The_Raven_Lord

I WANT THE ROCKET PUNCH PUSHBACK!!!! I use that all the time to knock people off a ledge after I've used my pushback. :(

Well get on your class forums and start complaining with the rest of us... HOPEFULLY BW listen but if the past nine months show us anything it wont happen.

This developer needs to get his head examined. He forgot the most important issue that made PvP unbalanced, and that's Sentinels and Marauder's being over-powered over every other class in this game. I've seen numerous posts regarding this issue, and you still ignore the obvious. Take away their force leap and they will be on the same level as the rest of us.

I don't know where this developer did his research, but he obviously didn't do a thorough job.

Major PvE nerfs I havent seeing here, PvE for me its mostly Raids, and you just cant stun\knockback OPS Bosses, its only Boss fights does matter, right? Or now cleaning trash in raids became PvE chalenge? Or if you talking about adds, well adds that swarming around Sorc easyer to AoE, and if Sorc overload them, harder to 1 Shot AoE them, so here 360 Overload not helping. In terms of leveling... Remeber movie Road 66, new players never saw previos Overload, so how they will feel diferense?

Mercs get what they need to have, interupt and thanks the Force that not melle interupt!

In terms of PvP, yes Knockback was much more usefull. And 360 Overload was much more lazy and usefull, but I am sure everyone will love new one, that do FusRoCone in 15 meters.

Totaly agree with guy who said "Stun Wars". Game has to much stuns, that apperantly usefull in leveling\solo PvE, and totaly silly in PvP. I think trinket should give not only brake, but full resolve bar also. Still the other day was whole day using Scoundrell\Scrapper Tendor Blast, and perfectly routed full resolve guys. and no problem, and no stuns, so with full resolve noone is unstopable

Selfheal for Sorcs. Well good stuff to deal with consum. But I think they wtill need move that will restore most of their Force, as Agents\BH have. So if agent\BH fail one time with healing rotation he can emergency restore it, Sorc cant, so rotaion fail not allowed so far.

I couldnt take it anymore 5 minutes ago and decided to simply delete the game. I'm stuck on a faction filled with the most casual/worst players in the world which makes it impossible to play and they still havent implemented open transfers. On top of this we have the class inbalance and horrible costs for swapping mods, in the event that you would want to transfer from one faction to another. I'm convinced that BW is doing it on purpose because there's no way that someone with years in school, in a developed country, can be this clueless. As a shareholder I'd probably sue them or demand their instant resignations.

So I came here to drop a rage post and what do I see? Possibly the worst approach to fxing the the worst balance issues any game has ever had. Just an example, everyone in the in the sorc/sage threads complained about their class. What happens? They take the one thing that allows those classes to keep a distance and nerfs it to 10 m. Great, BW, you just made it even easier for maras and PT'es to get in range. Did sages/sorcs get the dps boost they needed to be able to compete with other classes in ranks? Why make it right when you can make it worse.

Edited by MidichIorian

I'm completely sick of this BS.

In the 9 months I've been playing this game, every patch and update has been PvP focused. I am paying to play an MMO in a Star Wars universe. Not run around warzones repeatedly and mindlessly killing other players. There are already too many games out there for this. Why waste the Star Wars IP on PvP?

Bioware has wasted any chance they had at making an enduring Star Wars MMO my squandering this first year So many people have left over lack of content, and all we get are PvP balance and more warzones...

Seriously, I'm done. Back to real life for me...

Uhh... No. No they haven't been all PvP focused. A huge number of changes were made to bring PvE]/i] DPS, threat gen, and HPS closer in line, plus 2 operations, several flashpoints, new daily zone... PvP has gotten one warzone. ONE. Warzone.

Besides, these changes hardly affect PvE at all. Exception maybe being the Overload change, but that just means your tanks have to get better, ya?