Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lvl 75 Gate Splits Game In Two, Undermining "Play As You Want"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Lvl 75 Gate Splits Game In Two, Undermining "Play As You Want"

merovejec
06.04.2019 , 01:56 AM | #31
Its true that the game basically starts at max level when it comes to gear and this was different in the past. It would be nice to have this again.

However, as for PVP they will be introducing max bolster for PVP, which makes gear irrelevant. For PVE they have introduced the Masters Datacron, which will make you max level right at start, so you can basically play the story but already collect gear for max level.
Merovejec
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Achievements 5.10 69015

robertthebard
06.04.2019 , 02:03 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by PennyAnn View Post
Not to be funny, but this is not reward enough to get people to play the content - which is why lowbie PvP (one of the most fun parts of the early game for me) are dead and you cannot get a queue for a lowbie match in a reasonable amount of time (if at all). Sorry, but he is 100% correct, they need to add incentive to lowbie PvP in order to make it a worthwhile use of your playtime as you are leveling up.

Not to be funny, but if one is having fun doing something, how are they wasting their time?

I used to be way into amateur dirt bike riding. I took all the spills, all the thrills, and some of the epic fails associated with motor cross racing, but I never got paid, and I never considered it a waste of my time. I leveled my toons to 50 for HM FPs back in the day too, and never considered it a waste of my time. Despite the hyperbole about "nobody is playing alts", I've spent the majority of my playtime the last few days doing exactly that, working on alts, and working on alts that aren't even level 70. In a very literal sense, I did waste all of that time, however, I can apply that same reasoning to every toon I've ever played in any MMO or SP game since the invention of gaming, and I can do that because, as an entertainment medium, that's precisely what gaming is supposed to do, waste some time.

Back in the day of Planetary comms, I wasn't upset that I wasn't getting Corellia comms on Tython or Korriban. Then all the comms were merged into one set, and then they were eliminated altogether. But for their entire lifetimes, in whatever state, they had one primary purpose, obtaining gear. So, in context with the opening post, what of it I could actually read, and the ensuing conversation, I'm still not seeing anything that convinces me that this isn't about not being able to bank currency from beginning to end for gear.
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
Also, just a small point. Why should anyone who plays this game exclusively for any particular type of content, have to run a different type of content just to earn gear? What is that attitude all about?

Noerra
06.04.2019 , 03:20 AM | #33
I am also curious how this system will work for lower levels.

When i run Esseles/Black Talon on my lowbie character, will the bosses be dropping me that new loot? And if they are will it be my characters level? And if i run same place again on say level 40 will i get lvl 40 new loot then? Or is low level activities loot going to be same than it is now?

Will i get those GR boxes when i am leveling? Will they contain armor of my own level or top level? If set bonuses are actually on shells does it mean i could get set items on lower levels (ofc having low levels mods in them at the time) and use them while i level?

It will be shame if Spoils of War is limited to just top level characters. It would make low level activities bit more interesting when getting new and interesting loot.

Joonbeams
06.04.2019 , 04:43 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
So the only thing you could buy with the comms from PvP was deco items? You see, you can edit all day, but the point is, all the currencies that you lamented the loss of are directly tied to what? Gear. Specifically, end game gear, or you wouldn't be lamenting the loss of them, or even be bringing them up, since they've been gone for a very long time.

So you PvP from x level to cap for all those comms back in the day, what is it you were going to buy with them?

Or, you PvE from x level to cap for all those comms, and what is it you were going to buy with them?

The answer is, in both cases, "Gear", so explain how I'm supposed to buy into "I'm not talking about gear" when what you're talking about is literally currencies used to buy gear.
What's In a Coin? (a play by J-)

Boss: "Congrats everyone! We want to make sure you all feel appreciated no matter what job you do here. And no matter whether you're a red vest, a green vest, or a blue vest. So starting next week, we're going to be offering everyone Happy Coins as rewards for their work."
Worker: "Thanks boss! What are Happy Coins?"
Boss: "Happy Coins allow you to purchase stuff from the shop, but especially Elixirs of Happiness (EoH). And we all know how much everyone loves EoH, amirite?
Worker: "You betcha boss, I love me some EoH!"
Grump: "Nobody cares about anything else but EoH!"
Worker: "So how do we get Happy Coins?"
Grump: "You mean, EoH don't you?"
Worker: "No, I literally mean Happy Coins."
Grump: "And by that, you mean EoH!"
Worker: (look at this guy)
Boss: "That's the beauty folks. You can earn Happy Points for doing any jobs in the company. The more Happy Points you have, the greater the Happy Coins you can get for your work.
Worker: "So wait, Happy Coins and Happy Points?"
Grump: "You mean EoH - stop saying Happy Coins!"
Boss: "If you have 100 Happy Points and you do and hour of assembly line, you'll get 1 Happy Coin. If you have 200 Happy Points, and you do an hour of assembly line, you'll get 2 Happy Coins. Harder jobs earn Happy Points faster that easier ones too. We want you to be able to do any job here and get rewarded."
Worker: "This all sounds great! I'm gonna try out docking bay work with a blue vest, instead of my red vest! I'm getting bored with the red vest."
Boss: "Ahhh...that's the thing. If you change vests, you'll have to wear that vest for 75 days to get the 75-day badge before you start earning Happy Points (Or maybe not, we're not ready to say yet)"
Grump: "You mean EoH! Stop saying Happy Points! "
Worker: "Dude, no one is talking about EoH. We literally mean Happy Points and Happy Coins."
Grump: "That's what I said, EoH!"
Worker: (this guy). So lemme get this straight. If I work docking bay in this red vest, I will get Happy Points--"
Grump: "--EoH--"
Worker: "--I will get Happy Points right away no matter what job I do. But if I change to a blue vest, I have to wait 75 days to get Happy Points even if I do the exact same job I was doing in my red vest with the 75-day badge?"
Boss: (silence)
Grump: "Because endgame"
Worker: "Huh?"
Grump: "Sorry, wrong play. I mean EoH! Raar, everything is about EoH!"
Worker: "So that means if I want to work in the Garden of Happiness, I have to wait 75 days before I can start getting Happy Points for that?"
Grump: "Yep. You know you can't work in the Garden once you have the 75-day badge. Who cares about the Garden anyway?! I don't work there anymore, so who cares? EoH! FTW!"
Worker: "But I love the Garden. And all of the new guys work there. And boss says they want us to be rewarded for working anywhere in the company we want to work. But who wants to work there now if we have to wait 75 days till we can get Happy Points for it? If they got rid of the 75-day requirement, then we could really work anywhere we wanted."
Grump: "You know you're only saying that because you want EoH. That's the only thing you care about. For you, this is all about EoH. Because since Happy Points become Happy Coins and Happy Coins buy EoH, you must only care about this because you want EoH!"
Worker: "Wait whaaa? Bruh, you do realize I have every vest already, each with 75-day badges, and if this was about EoH, I could just swap into one of those...You know what? Nevermind."
Grump: "EoH, EoH, EoH, EoH, EoH!!!"

Tl:dr: The moral of the play is that Grump is unable to distinguish between the concept of wanting all jobs to be a viable path to Happy Coins from the concept of the utility of Happy Coins themselves once they're obtained. Would Worker's point change if Happy Coins couldn't be used for Elixirs of Happiness, but instead only for other items in the shop (like decorations)? Hint: No, it wouldn't.

robertthebard
06.04.2019 , 05:47 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Joonbeams View Post

Boss: "Congrats everyone! We want to make sure you all feel appreciated no matter what job you do here. And no matter whether you're a red vest, a green vest, or a blue vest. So starting next week, we're going to be offering everyone Happy Coins as rewards for their work."
Boss: "Happy Coins allow you to purchase stuff from the shop, but especially Elixirs of Happiness (EoH). And we all know how much everyone loves EoH, amirite?
Boss: "That's the beauty folks. You can earn Happy Points for doing any jobs in the company. The more Happy Points you have, the greater the Happy Coins you can get for your work.
Boss: "If you have 100 Happy Points and you do and hour of assembly line, you'll get 1 Happy Coin. If you have 200 Happy Points, and you do an hour of assembly line, you'll get 2 Happy Coins. Harder jobs earn Happy Points faster that easier ones too. We want you to be able to do any job here and get rewarded."
Worker: "This all sounds great! I'm gonna try out docking bay work with a blue vest, instead of my red vest! I'm getting bored with the red vest."
Boss: "Ahhh...that's the thing. If you change vests, you'll have to wear that vest for 75 days to get the 75-day badge before you start earning Happy Points (Or maybe not, we're not ready to say yet)"
Worker: "Dude, no one is talking about EoH. We literally mean Happy Points and Happy Coins."
Worker: (this guy). So lemme get this straight. If I work docking bay in this red vest, I will get Happy Points--"
Worker: "--I will get Happy Points right away no matter what job I do. But if I change to a blue vest, I have to wait 75 days to get Happy Points even if I do the exact same job I was doing in my red vest with the 75-day badge?"
Worker: "So that means if I want to work in the Garden of Happiness, I have to wait 75 days before I can start getting Happy Points for that?"
Grump: "Yep. You know you can't work in the Garden once you have the 75-day badge. Who cares about the Garden anyway?! I don't work there anymore, so who cares? EoH! FTW!"
Worker: "But I love the Garden. And all of the new guys work there. And boss says they want us to be rewarded for working anywhere in the company we want to work. But who wants to work there now if we have to wait 75 days till we can get Happy Points for it? If they got rid of the 75-day requirement, then we could really work anywhere we wanted."
Grump: "You know you're only saying that because you want EoH. That's the only thing you care about. For you, this is all about EoH. Because since Happy Points become Happy Coins and Happy Coins buy EoH, you must only care about this because you want EoH!"
Worker: "Wait whaaa? Bruh, you do realize I have every vest already, each with 75-day badges, and if this was about EoH, I could just swap into one of those...You know what? Nevermind."

Tl:dr: The moral of the play is that Grump is unable to distinguish between the concept of wanting all jobs to be a viable path to Happy Coins from the concept of the utility of Happy Coins themselves once they're obtained. Would Worker's point change if Happy Coins couldn't be used for Elixirs of Happiness, but instead only for other items in the shop (like decorations)? Hint: No, it wouldn't.
So the only point to the comms was to have them in your inventory even when you weren't going to use them. We've been there and done that. "But I want to hit level 75 and buy all my gear for end game all at once" does not negate "the primary function of said comms was to get end game gear". This isn't a SP game, it's an MMO. Now I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but one of the primary functions of a gear treadmill is to keep players playing as long as possible, with an apparent goal in mind. Granting all the gear for one stop at a shop doesn't accomplish that goal.

As we can see from posts in this thread, people didn't play the content because it was fun, they played it so they could achieve one stop shopping for the prize. Hence "PvP was fun back then, but then they took away the incentive to play because no comms". Here's another interesting point: Being level 1 and having enough (insert currency name here) doesn't really matter. It translates to "Look at all this gear that I can't use until I'm max level". I'm not arguing that the system should only work at max level, I'm arguing that the premise of this thread is wrong, and why I see it that way.

IF I find (insert content here) fun, the rewards are a bonus to all the good times I had while playing it. I enjoyed tanking for my guild, from World Bosses to NiM Ops, even when I didn't win the roll on a custom mount, or a piece of gear that I actually needed. When it wasn't something that I actually needed, I had no issue with passing on a roll either. I had fun getting to that point, so it didn't matter. What that actually means is that, I am rewarded with fun for playing whatever way I enjoy, whether that's goofing off with the PvE space stuff, or NiM Ops, or running alt number 40 through the vanilla story. So even under the current gearing system, I'm not locked out of playing as I want, and so, under any other system that's similar, I won't be locked out either. It doesn't matter if I have all the currency in the world, if what I'm going to buy with it is beyond my ability to use. I have cargo holds full of gear on toons that haven't leveled to the point where they can use it, yet. It's neither adding to, nor taking away from my enjoyment of whatever content I'm playing.
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
Also, just a small point. Why should anyone who plays this game exclusively for any particular type of content, have to run a different type of content just to earn gear? What is that attitude all about?

Seterade
06.04.2019 , 07:32 AM | #36
There are token and master datacrons, EAware is thinking of you debit #1642745692345673

EAware bids you good day and reminds you as always "Bring money"

Keimanna
06.07.2019 , 07:38 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Joonbeams View Post

Lol, I enjoyed this! I'm back and excited for the expansion. But we need to kick up PVP again in lowbies. This will help a lot if ppl don't feel like leveling is worthless. Devs, we need to start getting the new XP at level one!