Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gear Acquisition Feedback - Spoils of War

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Gear Acquisition Feedback - Spoils of War
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

TrixxieTriss
05.30.2019 , 10:28 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by sharkfishman View Post
Yes, they also said it was subject to change.

That's why I was just reinforcing how strongly the player base (well, I mean, me, but I think it's a common sentiment) dislikes p2w schemes in sub-based games.

I wasn't suspecting they would out and sell AMPs straight up on the marketplace. What I'm worried about is that you'll need to rank them up/breakthrough or that AMPs will have variable stats depending on how "lucky" you are. For example, will there only be ONE "Armor Piercing" mod? Or will you go through RNG to get the Armor Piercing mod, and then hope that it's Armor Piercing rank III instead of rank I. See what I mean?

I don't know any of this. I hope this system is exactly as non-p2w as they made it sound. I've just also learned that MMOs typically find a way to change great ideas for the worse.

Remember that scene from Galaxy Quest? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ83r886Kyg

"Sure, they're cute now. But in a second... they're gonna get ugly somehow."
I’ve not listened to the stream yet, but if the game goes p2w, then I’m gone. That will be the last straw for me.

Edit : listened to stream, p2w won’t be happening,

merovejec
05.30.2019 , 11:09 PM | #22
So like what you are saying is that its best to go full 258 into this expansion so that you have the highest chance to get highest possible gear from the start?
Merovejec
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Achievements 5.10 69015

Costello
05.31.2019 , 12:19 AM | #23
You say 'Play your way' which is great.

You say 'Harder content will be more rewarding' which is right.

However you then seem to think by harder it has to be group content with raids/operations and ranked pvp. Which seems to contradict the first two points, what you meant to say is play operations and pvp to gear up; you were even laughing at the idea that anyone would use Galactic Renown to gear up as its totally suboptimal and a supplementary option, it didn't even really tie into the diagram being out on the right.

If your design is to play your way, why is there never an option for people that don't want to do raids or ranked PvP; that no longer see a night spent grinding through mechanics or being subject to win trading as fun.

You spoke on the stream how the different set bonuses might require different number of parts and how this could allow mixing and matching, it was suggested that this was similar to the ESO system. Which is all a good thing, its a very good game.

However all of this gear acquisition appears like you are ignoring content in place of yet another gear grind; with I'm sure the plan being to be more easily add new gear grinds as you release the next FOTM set to get people to regrind. Can we look forward to a few hours of story content all year, and then the focus being on gearing up with this uber sets as you have balanced the game and pvp round the ability for my assassin to be able to force shroud someone else? Or will a game that some consider far to easy already become trivial when my sorc can one shot lightning everything?

If you are going to look to ESO, look at the levels of content they release and the play your way system. I've had max gear there for years and I don't have any great desire to grind anything out there, instead I log in to enjoy the game world, the constantly improving and added story.

Joonbeams
05.31.2019 , 12:27 AM | #24
Gear, Renown XP, and vendor currency have to be earnable from character level 1. This has to happen...

force-unleasher
05.31.2019 , 01:24 AM | #25
First of all want to say that I rarely use the forum but I am going to use it more since you guys want to communicate with us. And that is something that is greatly appreciated! Believe me, some of the people here may express themselves more sharply than others and I understand it must be furstrating for you guys to try and cater to everyone and that's why I want you to know that your effort is greatly appreciated.

About the gearing changes - I really liked the example Eric gave us in the stream: As of right now doing Flashpoints, even Master Mode, on my L70 characters doesn't yield me ANY form of certain gratification in terms of gear rewards. I get 3-4 Rare CXP packs and 1-2 Super Rare which I then decide on which toon to use. And guess what - I am stockpiling them in the legacy storage, and then, depending on the DvL event - I use them on various other characters. But all of this feels extremely unrewarding and here's why:

I literally don't use the CXP packs on my Rank 300 character because the chance of getting a 248 piece (which is 2 tiers below the max) is so small and insignificant, that I need to open 20-30+ crates, and even then - I may get an earpiece or implant that I just don't need in terms of stats. So even though most of my character's gear is already 248 and 252, those last 248 pieces take forever to grind and I hate the fact that I can get stronger gear more consistently (from Ossus). It doesn't make any sense.

So having a certain (even maybe a bit slow) way of gearing our characters through any content is really appealing to me. Because the system we have right now is some kind of impostor to the one we *hopefully* get in 6.0. It's supposed to reward you for everything you do in-game but not exactly: it's really slow and full of unprotected RNG like getting specific pieces of gear instead of tokens in Command Crates. Or getting the same pair of gloves instead of having some kind of protection where the game will no longer drop gloves for you from Command Crates.

As to both of the vendors being RNG - what?? Why would you do that...... The one that spawns sometimes - ok. But if you make us spend our hard earned Charles Points on more RNG.... most of the people will not be amused. Just give us normal vendors like the ones we had with commendations before - that allow us to spend that new currency on something of our choice.
For example I see that I need Legs on a character, and I grind for 2-3 days - do various Operations, Master Mode Flashpoints, even Daliy areas and Heroics, and then I go to the vendor and get my damn Legs. The majority of my Charles Points came from harder content but I supplemented that with easier Solo Daily content and after that I got the item I wanted. That is what is exciting to me!! Feeling rewarded for my hard work. Having a plan on what item will I get if I do X and Y thing in-game.

Darth_Sidewinder
05.31.2019 , 03:39 AM | #26
A somewhat different kettle of fish.

So the level of the gear that drops is going to be based on the level of the gear I am currently wearing. I am wondering how much this will be a problem for casual PvErs. Point being: nowadays, me and the people I play with tend to do PvE content while not focusing very much on having all gear top-notch as long as it is not absolutely necessary to have up-to-date gear, and we simply wait for the better gear to drop from somewhere randomly. Say, we may prioritise wearing sub-par gloves for the time being and waiting for better ones to drop randomly at some point, to wasting time by going somewhere to acquire better ones. Does this mean, however, that now the game will "punish" us by giving us worse gear, because we are wearing worse gear? Is it going to take forever to gear up in this way (in fact slower than it used to be)?
I have always been advocating for Mon Calamari Imperial Agents.
"Mwa ha ha, you fools, IT all was A TRAP!!!"

Lhancelot
05.31.2019 , 05:44 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by merovejec View Post
So like what you are saying is that its best to go full 258 into this expansion so that you have the highest chance to get highest possible gear from the start?
I hope not. I actually have zero interest in doing Ossus. Hell, I might even just not bother leveling up a new toon until 6.0, to start fresh there. That's how much I resent this Ossus stuff. Which probably isn't fair, but, w/e.

Unless, they enable you to get into 258s in a fun and engaging way other than doing repeat Ossus grinds with an army of alts. This method to gear doesn't appeal to me at all.

I like meaningful and fun development of my toons individually and hate viewing gearing as some sort of imperative task where I must enlist all of my alts into funneling gears to a single toon one at a time to gear them up as quickly as possible. How is using a conveyor belt of alts to gear up individual toons fun to anyone?
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

Syal
05.31.2019 , 06:01 AM | #28
As you said, No more trash grind as Ossus tier 5.
Think about casual player who might be the base of your customer. To be full end game geared in 6.0 should 2 month max per character !
SWTOR since 2012 !
Guild Force Unifiée French PVE
The Leviathan

FlameYOL
05.31.2019 , 07:22 AM | #29
I think most of the changes look promising, I'm looking forward to getting gear from enemies again and the layers of RNG protection look good (And I'm including the Charles points/deconstruction system here as they provide another layer of protection which is excellent). Overall I'm actually excited about the gear progression in 6.0.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

TheCardinal
05.31.2019 , 10:31 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
I like the crafting idea, as long as the mats are not gated behind Operations and Ranked pvp.
Doing so limits the whole “play the way you want to”.
It would mean only the top end players or people who like that stuff can craft.

Edit : changed behind gated to not behind gated
I've posted in here

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...=1#post9733018

To much to repeat again. so have a peak

To make this short for that that don't bother going.

The problem as I see it ain't really the MM, NiM, Ops, it's the lack of symbiosis therein.

Do like the old SW game once did, make crafter make the BEST there is to have in the game, BUT, at the same time have us that do craft NEED something from NiM or MM is need be, or more places since that will limit the market again and those that do those could get item craft item and we are back at GO again.

The symbiosis in the old SW did work for all those years, WE need you, you NEED us, WE make the best, you might loot ALMOST the best, but NEVER as good as CRAFTED items, it's a win win for all.

BUT, DO NOT gate it in such a way that the few gets is and the "masses" can't.

As for the rest, go watch the other I've said
Cardinal / Sweden
Icarus Corporation

http://www.c-system.se/swg/cardinal.png