Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Nerfed Compainion heals

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

MacCleoud
09.04.2019 , 03:39 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

Some quick details on what you are seeing. We did make changes to Companion healing but this should not necessarily result in a nerf to them. In the current live game Companion healing is very strong but it also appears to be so strong to the point that you may play certain content and barely see your health bar move.

We made some changes to Companion healing abilities and timing so that although their healing is roughly the same, it has the appearance that you are actually taking damage. Ultimately, what we would want feedback on is does it just appear that you are getting less healing / in more danger, or are you actually dying in places you wouldn't have previously.

Share your thoughts and thanks for raising this!

-eric
I think it overall it is fine. On Live, if I jump into a a pack of 7 normal mobs, I barely see damage done. If I jump into the same group on PTS, I actually get a little worried. It was odd.... yet refreshing at the same time!

DWho
09.04.2019 , 03:43 PM | #22
One of the bigger problem areas is the NPCs that have a combination knockback/knockdown/stun (some of the Killiks in the Bonus area of Alderaan as an example). These hit really hard and while stunned there is nothing you can do to save yourself, you are totally dependent on the healer and the channeled heal isn't enough generally to keep up with the other incoming damage. Quite often those hit for 75% or more of your total health in a very short time (I'm assuming this actually comes from two NPCs but I'm not sure since it happens all at once).

The overuse of knockbacks is also a problem for melee classes as they spend a lot of their time reclosing (often the knockback doesn't knock you back far enough to use your closer ability) taking damage all the while. This really extends the fights and makes the healer output even more critical.

Kaizersan
09.04.2019 , 05:28 PM | #23
What I believe the problem is that people are noticing that one of your companions heals has been turned off because every companion had one heal changed so you need to click on the one heal that was changed to turn it back on so they will heal like they should be so just look for the one that doesn't have the green light on it and click it on.

DWho
09.04.2019 , 05:53 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaizersan View Post
What I believe the problem is that people are noticing that one of your companions heals has been turned off because every companion had one heal changed so you need to click on the one heal that was changed to turn it back on so they will heal like they should be so just look for the one that doesn't have the green light on it and click it on.
Only partially correct. Even with it turned back on there is a significant difference in performance. The channeled heal is not as effective against heavy burst damage some NPCs inflict. I've played the exact same character on both the PTS and Live (same gear, same companion level, same heroics) and the difference is notable in several areas. It's not insurmountable but it is less effective.

DWho
09.04.2019 , 08:31 PM | #25
Hey folks,

Some quick details on what you are seeing. We did make changes to Companion healing but this should not necessarily result in a nerf to them. In the current live game Companion healing is very strong but it also appears to be so strong to the point that you may play certain content and barely see your health bar move.

We made some changes to Companion healing abilities and timing so that although their healing is roughly the same, it has the appearance that you are actually taking damage. Ultimately, what we would want feedback on is does it just appear that you are getting less healing / in more danger, or are you actually dying in places you wouldn't have previously.

-eric
Did some quick testing on this with a different level companion. At level 50 (Kira), the knockback/knockdown/stun mobs on Alderan take the character down to ~25% health but the level 50 comp is able to heal through that so there is a danger of dying but most likely won't. With a level 14 (Lana) companion, the heals are not strong enough to heal through the initial burst (again down to about ~25% health) but the continuing damage from the melee types in the mob takes the character out before the stun wears off most of the time (tested 3 mobs, 2/3 character was killed while stunned with the level 14 companion - in the one that didn't die, the companion CC'd one of the high damage NPCs which likely made the difference). Shortening the cooldown on the channeled heal might be enough or slightly bumping up the healing on one of the others.

On the LIve server, I've done this heroic area with companions as low as level 10 without issue (pretty much looks like the level 50 on the PTS). Damage Resistance was at 24.04% on PTS / 22.84% on Live

Batwer
09.04.2019 , 11:25 PM | #26
With the nerfed companions I come clear. It did not bother me, as certain companions stop the cure. In normal contend no problem. Also with the H2. But if you want to solo the MM chapters of Kotfe / Kotet, it sucks. Please nerfed the Chapters.
You! Yes, exactly you! Click me:
http://www.swtor.com/r/zwyYS6

BlueSorcerer
09.04.2019 , 11:38 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by -sakaa- View Post
Have they nerfed companion healing. Running a toon from 1 up and I am having to use a lot more powers to keep up?
God you all just want solo content, thats what ruined this game.
Star Wars™ The Old Republic™ Digital Deluxe Edition (DDE)
"My hate know's no bounds."

Darittha
09.05.2019 , 02:34 AM | #28
When they were boosted back with Kotfe companions finally became viable - dont think any big changes have been done since then(i may be wrong) and imo they work fine as level 1 companions are noticeably weaker than lvl 50, why nerf what works fine.

Einobi
09.05.2019 , 06:46 AM | #29

-eric
Straight up, I already sense a wrong mentality in the above design. First up, whether a player feel they are taking damages or feel dangerous should be an attribute related to the strength of the mobs. If there is a need for player to feel endangered and actually feel taking damages, then make the mob stronger and not the reverse of making the healing comp performing less optimally so that player feel 'endangered'.

In group content fight, we healer class always pump our healing ability constantly without a pause to keep our tank max up HP without regard to whether his HP drop or not. In some fight where the boss is weaker, the tank actually don't feel his HP bar move. We don't wait for tank HP to drop to below 70% before dishing out heal so that we want to make our tank feel he is taking damages and feel 'endangered'. It just make no sense. There are places that the tank will feel 'endangered' when we faced a stronger boss. His HP will drop regardless no matter how hard we heal.

So make your mob stronger and not make our healing comp less 'efficient'. Don't reverse paddle. It is not progressive and is damaging to the game.

xordevoreaux
09.05.2019 , 07:02 AM | #30
Hey folks,

-eric
Companions can't be brought into ops, so why? Players complaining?
I'm the guy who built this mod for Skyrim SE -- https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspec...ab=description

So you can imagine I'm not going to like soloing and suddenly having to pay attention to more than I was before.
Hands off my comps.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).