Community Blog Post Discussion: New Year’s PvP Update

CourtneyWoods

And so where are healers in all this? Hopefully, the mention of more medals is directed at us. Also, a healer would be seriously disadvantaged in Ilum without his companion. While I can kill people 1 on 1, kill quest requirements are just another thing against being a healer currently.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good update. Can't personally say I'm excited about the prospect of stat tracking in PVP, though.

Imo it just gives another thing to stress over. As the game is now, I feel inclined to hop into PVP whenever I can, with or without a team, do my best, play the objective, and not worry too much win or lose.

Add stat tracking, suddenly the stress comes rolling in. People stop playing to win, and start worrying about trivial numbers such as k/d ratio. Personally, if my stats are being tracked, and displayed to the world, I doubt I'll ever go into pvp without a group of guildies again, as I personally feel like I've got another number I need to maintain--- something that grouping with randoms can make extremely inconsistent.

TF2 is arguably one of the more competitive pc games available, and stats aren't heavily tracked at all (at least they weren't when I played last, things could be different now for all I know.) But at least from personal preference, I find the game more enjoyable when I need to worry about the here and now---the current pvp match I'm in, and how well I'm doing at the moment, which is truly all that matters in a pvp game---rather than how many kills I need to get my k/d to a certain level.

Just my two cents. It depends entirely on how it's implimented, really. If things like score per minute, time completing objectives, healing, and protection points take just as much priority as kills, then it won't be such a huge deal to me.

Edited by VaelMacoss

You hit two of my three big issues.

Brackets. Thank you.

Choose war zone. Thank you again.

Jedi Knight pvp sets are ridiculously atrocious. I want to be able to use those set bonuses in my orange moddable gear. Wasn't that a design goal? Make the orange gear viable throughout the whole game?

Thanks for the update!

terrible late and so useless new features.

people will still roll warzones even on pvp server, cause they have much better valor/reward ratio.

pure lucky champ bags are the problem we have atm, nothing wil be done to fix this.

its like they want to force us into grinding those boring warzones, cause they have no clue how to make open world pvp good.

really the mythic that created daoc is long dead, just the name of the company is left.

Just remove Ilum.

Given that about 50% of the population are Sith, around 80% Empire - balanced World PvP is not possible anymore.

Happens if you fail to ignore that the old republich is basically ALL about Sith Empire - no Republich to begin with. Not to mention that Sith are just more awesome :>

Just remove Ilum.

Given that about 50% of the population are Sith, around 80% Empire - balanced World PvP is not possible anymore.

Happens if you fail to ignore that the old republich is basically ALL about Sith Empire - no Republich to begin with. Not to mention that Sith are just more awesome :>

I'm no maths major but are you suggesting 130% of a server population is on the Imperial side?

terrible late and so useless new features.

people will still roll warzones even on pvp server, cause they have much better valor/reward ratio.

pure lucky champ bags are the problem we have atm, nothing wil be done to fix this.

its like they want to force us into grinding those boring warzones, cause they have no clue how to make open world pvp good.

really the mythic that created daoc is long dead, just the name of the company is left.

rofl mythic's name is not anywhere on this game's release....

I'm no maths major but are you suggesting 130% of a server population is on the Imperial side?

he means 80% of the population is empire and form that 80% 50% rolled a sith warrior or mage.

Edited by Sheneria

This is garbage. Ilum should not be the only place for world PvP. Why couldn't you let PvP servers be PvP servers? Raid boss guards everywhere even at the smallest quest hubs, funneling opposing factions away from each other throughout the leveling process. World PvP on PvP servers is something that should start right out the gate, not be thoroughly discouraged throughout the game and ultimately limited to some 'end-game' zone where your incentive for PvP basically comes down to a daily quest like in Rift. There's a reason why the bulk of the PvP population left Rift within the first six months, and you're piggy-backing off of the same mentality.

This game is more and more being touted as nothing more than a single-player/co-op game, and all you've done with your terrible attempt at world PvP implementation and your destruction of the concept of a PvP server is push players toward the eager anticipation of Guild Wars 2. Good job on that.

Sounds to me like it is too little too late.

PvP is great at low lvls. All that testing payed off. I don't know why it is so hard to grasp why! IT WAS BALANCED! SWTOR was made more for casual and less for the hard core and low level PvP was popular BECAUSE THEY COULD PLAY TOGETHER.

Yet higher lvl PvP is broken and not going to be fixed by the sound of it. Bioware is making some of the same mistakes other games have made and will pay for it.

Bioware WAKE UP! The problem did not start with Ilum! It started when the hard core advanced so far past the casual that they could not play together. You wanted a game for casual players and you made it a no win game for players that did not keep up with the better gear!!!! People don't like no win scenarios!

It is not rocket science, the QQing is because the PvP was for the hardcore and winning for the casual player was no longer and option.

Do you see my point? Ask yourselves if you solved this with your last update on PvP or even if it is on your roadmap. You want to test it? make casual players 1v1 hard core players on Ilum and see what happens!

You do NOT need to do wild nerfing of classes. You need only figure a way to keep it balanced for everyone while letting the more hardcore still have their superior advantage.

Try this, and my point will be proven fast. Make a warzone that replaces player stats with balanced stats like giving them all walkers or space ship fighters so that it is an even playing field and watch how popular it becomes.

Cancel whatever else you are doing if it does not add up to a game everyone can play. Don't be stupid and make a game only a few can win at.

Edited by scottmana