I really don't like Lana anymore

Lium

II don't like her anymore. At all.

Welcome to the Dark Side my friend (if it hasn't been said already).

You will now have a red flag against your name for speaking out against the favoured one ;)

Edited by Sarova

She's been one of my favorite companions since we were first introduced to her. :)

So, hopefully, they never give her a kill option. It'd likely just be a story breaking reason for anyone to kill her (ie not make sense) and we have enough of those chat options already.

Agreed.

But she was the one who literally walked into the vault and risked her neck, along with T7-O1.

As for her job, as shown in SoR, she's incredibly smart and talented. When she's shoehorned into a job where she isn't suited and doesn't belong - leading Intelligence or being a Spymaster - of course she falters. It would be like deciding that Theron should be a Sith lord. I don't know why the writers decided it was so important to make Lana look so incompetent, but they certainly did. Regardless Lana still works her tail off.

You're right about the incompetence, but I think it's magnified in that the writers have given our PCs zero agency of our own to help her. "Hey Lana, that's a bad idea. We're doing something else" is not a conversation option. We're just told where to go by her and Theron (and other members of the alliance) and we just blindly do what we're told.

One of the posters above is dead on about the way we can't do anything about an NPC mouthing off to us--every single time that stupid plan for Kaliyo and Aric is going on, I so much want to force-choke Kaliyo when she pulls that "you're cutting out" line. And then Theron has the gall to disapprove when I want nothing to do with her anymore (it was his idea to recruit the terrorist).

That's just one of countless examples where we have no real say in anything and the commander title is merely ceremonial at best, or made specifically to assign one person blame at worst.

You're right about the incompetence, but I think it's magnified in that the writers have given our PCs zero agency of our own to help her. "Hey Lana, that's a bad idea. We're doing something else" is not a conversation option. We're just told where to go by her and Theron (and other members of the alliance) and we just blindly do what we're told.

One of the posters above is dead on about the way we can't do anything about an NPC mouthing off to us--every single time that stupid plan for Kaliyo and Aric is going on, I so much want to force-choke Kaliyo when she pulls that "you're cutting out" line. And then Theron has the gall to disapprove when I want nothing to do with her anymore (it was his idea to recruit the terrorist).

That's just one of countless examples where we have no real say in anything and the commander title is merely ceremonial at best, or made specifically to assign one person blame at worst.

ITA with all of that. There's no reason Lana should have been the spymaster, given that her official game title is 'Dark Advisor,' but the game gives us no ability to ask her to do something more suited to her strengths, or to help her in any of the other situations. It really is as though the writers deliberately wanted to set the character up to fail with no way to change it.

In KOTFE I did wish that my character had far more agency. You're spot on that the Commander is almost never allowed to make meaningful objections and that they are often sent off on missions in the dark. My pet peeve was never being able to tell Senya off when she set up the "trial" with the Scions and tried to take over. In KOTEF 16 when she said she was going to accompany us, "and that's not a request," my Commander should have been able to tell her "you're not in charge and you go where I tell you to go." I wanted to refuse to recruit several of the companions that were in the KOTFE chapters. I couldn't.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

She was part of a team. T7, HK-55, Koth and Theron were all part of the team too. Now, even though I don't have any desire to kill her off myself, I can easily see why dark side Sith would want to execute her for incompetence. She is really terrible at her job.

Theron, I don't recall even really being mentioned until Chapter 9. T7 helped yes and Koth was a getaway driver. Lana seemed to be the one who did the actual tracking down.

My agent can't stand Lana since Ziost.

As a loyal Imperial and professional spy, her incompetence as Minister of (Sith) intelligense there is just unforgivable.

Getting a mole planted right under her nose... a non force user even. Nothing but incompetence.

Since my agent was my main character at that time, that pretty much cemented my dislike for Lana, because even my most crazy Sith characters wouldn't tolerate that sort of failure or liability anywhere near them.

Not all would snap her neck, but don't know, imprison her or replace her, send to exile. But for certain not keep her as an advisor.

When I had that time stop in the swamps with her fate for the first time, I was like yay, good riddance.

What a big disappointment.

The fact that my characters are rarely allowed to talk back only makes it worse.

Okay. Now here's one I can understand hating Lana. The Imperial Agent.

As for spies and incompetence, it's amazing how if a spy fails, it's incompetence.

Let's look at the biggest spy in the game...THE AGENT.

Kaliyo, you basically walk right into her trap. No where does it ever hint at you seeing it coming, even if the player might.

You get mind fragged by Imperial Intelligence. You don't see that coming.

You not only keep Scorpio on your crew, you take her back in KOTFE.

Plenty of reason for an Agent to hate a Sith and possibly all force users, though, to be fair, my agent couldn't hold a grudge on the SIS team, as her side would not only do the same, they'd obviously do way worse. So, I see it as more of a mutual respect deal...something we often see in spy movies between enemy spies.

Theron, I don't recall even really being mentioned until Chapter 9. T7 helped yes and Koth was a getaway driver. Lana seemed to be the one who did the actual tracking down.

Is there a quote that says she did the tracking down? According to ch. 9 dialogue, Theron was recruited by Lana to run operations. So, yes, she and T7 were the ones to break into the vault while Koth and HK-55 were the getaway drivers, but Theron running operations implies he was doing his spy thing gathering information and planning the rescue. (And planning a rescue in enemy territory is far more in Theron's wheelhouse than Lana's.) The point being, Lana was part of a long standing team. She was not working alone. She didn't plan it alone. She didn't execute it alone. That doesn't diminish her role in the rescue, but everyone else's roles shouldn't be downplayed either.

Didn't one of the developers say awhile back we could scare Lana away by making choices that hurt the Empire? Not that I understand why she would care in that scenario, I'm sure she's told my counsellor before the whole imp / pub mess she had no interest in going back to the Sith Empire.

T7 was my favorite original companion from the vanilla storyline companions, and I quickly enjoyed Lana during the Rishi/Yavin storylines. When I first saw that those two are the ones that defrosted me, I was quite selfishly pleased.

T7 is still my running around companion of choice, and I am still tilting at the windmill due to being plagued by the Lana relationship bug which screwed my main out of his romance with her.

Is there a quote that says she did the tracking down? According to ch. 9 dialogue, Theron was recruited by Lana to run operations. So, yes, she and T7 were the ones to break into the vault while Koth and HK-55 were the getaway drivers, but Theron running operations implies he was doing his spy thing gathering information and planning the rescue. (And planning a rescue in enemy territory is far more in Theron's wheelhouse than Lana's.) The point being, Lana was part of a long standing team. She was not working alone. She didn't plan it alone. She didn't execute it alone. That doesn't diminish her role in the rescue, but everyone else's roles shouldn't be downplayed either.

There actually is a quote that says so. When you talk to Lana after the confrontation with the skytroopers (chapter...5? Before you go to Asylum), she mentions arriving in Wild Space to try to learn what happened to you, and that it was 'years ago.' Your character can ask her, "you spent all that time looking for me?" It's a flirt choice, so if one isn't inclined that way with Lana one might not see it, but her answer is, "is it really a surprise?" She apparently spent many years trying to track down the Outlander.

And in the love letter that Theron sends to a romanced Outlander, he says that Lana told HIM that the Outlander was in carbonite - that wasn't information Theron found out himself. The letter also makes it clear that they are both planning to free the Outlander; not just Theron.

Subject: For when you wake up.

I've written this message twice now. Okay, more than twice. Kinda weird writing something that may never be read. Lana says you're locked in carbonite, but alive. (Yeah, we're in touch. Long story.) I like to think you're having one crazy dream. And maybe I'm in it. But I don't want to presume. We never declared what this--you and me--is... was... Have I mentioned I'm bad at relationships? Another reason I'm a workaholic.

I'm rambling. The point I'm trying to make is--whatever's between us, I want you to know that I care about you. A lot. The whole galaxy's lost its mind. The thing that keeps me going is the knowledge that you're out there, and we're putting together a plan to rescue you. I might not be there--we've all got our parts to play--but I haven't forgotten about you or our time together. I never will.

So while Theron was actively involved, it doesn't diminish that Lana not only was the one who risked her neck to carry out the rescue. she was apparently was the one who discovered the Outlander's fate in carbonite. She was also actively planning the rescue with Theron. He wasn't running it.

I don't think it's necessary to put Lana against Theron. They each have their own space in Lore Theron's is obviously much larger within and outside the game being Satele's son. (that's just fact if we take the entire 300 years of TOR)

The fact is for all Lana's speeches about her absolute trust and loyalty to the Outlander, unless you do EVERYTHING she wants you to do, her reactions say different. There are many examples of this... When she breaks you free, she's quite willing to let the Skytrooper factory blow a section of the city to bits, and demeans you as you try to help. THAT one thing is enough to sour me on her for life.

PS Koth isn't much better with the Valkorian worship.

I still say that we should not be forced to keep her, I'm fine with not killing her, but I do not want her forever.

There actually is a quote that says so. When you talk to Lana after the confrontation with the skytroopers (chapter...5? Before you go to Asylum), she mentions arriving in Wild Space to try to learn what happened to you, and that it was 'years ago.' Your character can ask her, "you spent all that time looking for me?" It's a flirt choice, so if one isn't inclined that way with Lana one might not see it, but her answer is, "is it really a surprise?" She apparently spent many years trying to track down the Outlander.

And in the love letter that Theron sends to a romanced Outlander, he says that Lana told HIM that the Outlander was in carbonite - that wasn't information Theron found out himself. The letter also makes it clear that they are both planning to free the Outlander; not just Theron.

So while Theron was actively involved, it doesn't diminish that Lana not only was the one who risked her neck to carry out the rescue. she was apparently was the one who discovered the Outlander's fate in carbonite. She was also actively planning the rescue with Theron. He wasn't running it.

Thank you for narrowing down when Theron joined the team! I never claimed Theron was running the rescue, only that he was likely gathering intel and instrumental in planning it. And I certainly never claimed he was the only one, quite the opposite. We all know Lana is too much of a bossy pants to let anyone else actually run it :p (The quote from Ch. 9 is "Since I left SIS, Lana brought me in to manage operations.")

This side discussion stemmed from me correcting SithKoriandr

As for killing her, all I can really think is, out of all the companions, she's the only one who gets you out of the death sentence you were in and the idea for that is "Kill her!" :p
As you helped show, Lana was part of a team. 5 companions worked together to get you out of the death sentence. She did not act alone and she wasn't the only one to risk her life. Did she risk her neck? Absolutely! I have never questioned that. But she also had faithful little T7 by her side. Was her and T7's part of the rescue more dangerous than Koth's and HK-55s? Undoubtedly, but their roles were also quite dangerous. As for Theron's role? Well we just don't know enough to say what he was up to. Given his nature and experience, he probably did a whole lot of dangerous undercover recon prior to the rescue attempt, but we just don't know. Edited by Damask_Rose

Thank you for narrowing down when Theron joined the team! I never claimed Theron was running the rescue, only that he was likely gathering intel and instrumental in planning it. And I certainly never claimed he was the only one, quite the opposite. We all know Lana is too much of a bossy pants to let anyone else actually run it :p (The quote from Ch. 9 is "Since I left SIS, Lana brought me in to manage operations.")

This side discussion stemmed from me correcting SithKoriandr As you helped show, Lana was part of a team. 5 companions worked together to get you out of the death sentence. She did not act alone and she wasn't the only one to risk her life. Did she risk her neck? Absolutely! I have never questioned that. But she also had faithful little T7 by her side. Was her and T7's part of the rescue more dangerous than Koth's and HK-55s? Undoubtedly, but their roles were also quite dangerous. As for Theron's role? Well we just don't know enough to say what he was up to. Given his nature and experience, he probably did a whole lot of dangerous undercover recon prior to the rescue attempt, but we just don't know.

Yeah, I was responding to the part where it was questioned whether Lana helped track you down. She quite obviously not only did, but was the one that figured out the carbonite. :)

When she breaks you free, she's quite willing to let the Skytrooper factory blow a section of the city to bits, and demeans you as you try to help. THAT one thing is enough to sour me on her for life.

To be fair she's against saving the reactor because she wants you to get out of there immediately and not die. It's not like she just sadistically murders millions of people for her own amusement and then beats up the Outlander. Oh wait, people are fine with that one. I guess Lana should have told people a sob story about her hard childhood and said she was very very sorry, and then maybe people would give her the same pass.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

To be fair she's against saving the reactor because she wants you to get out of there immediately and not die. It's not like she just sadistically murders millions of people for her own amusement and then beats up the Outlander. Oh wait, people are fine with that one. I guess Lana should have told people a sob story about her hard childhood and said she was very very sorry, and then maybe people would give her the same pass.

What does my opinion about Arcann have to do with Lana? Seriously. I never mentioned Arcann at all! Why are you even on a thread where people do not like Lana?

Lana does not respect my PCs' morals or priorities she is hypocritical and snobby to their way of doing things and berates them publicly my PCs' do not like that neither do I.

I don't even want to kill her and you need to bring Arcann into it.

Nearly all the other companions have had an option to kill them, it's only fair Lana has one too.

Wait. Nearly all, isn't "All except Lana"

So, how would it be fair exactly? :p

Not to mention, everyone goes "I'll never see so and so companion again, if they give a kill option" so, why make another big story companion killable? We need companions that actually STAY WITH YOU!

Not that I ever wanted a Theron kill option. So, don't like that they gave one, and while Lana is probably my favorite companion out of them all as a player, Theron was up there and at least with Theron, I don't have a character that would hate him. Lana though, well...Agent just isn't a fan of Sith. I would think the only way she'd work with Marr is because it might help her get closer to taking down the evil Empire. :p

Lana is just one of those more difficult personalities. You either get along with her or she's a pure nuisance in your eyes. There are days where she bugs me and I just want to shove my fist down her throat to shut her up, other days I'm okay with her overbearing/crossing personal boundaries thing and manage to overlook her double standards. My Agent, however, will never be okay with Lana.

Not to mention, everyone goes "I'll never see so and so companion again, if they give a kill option" so, why make another big story companion killable? We need companions that actually STAY WITH YOU!

Not that I ever wanted a Theron kill option. So, don't like that they gave one, and while Lana is probably my favorite companion out of them all as a player, Theron was up there and at least with Theron, I don't have a character that would hate him. Lana though, well...Agent just isn't a fan of Sith. I would think the only way she'd work with Marr is because it might help her get closer to taking down the evil Empire. :p

This.

And Lana's not a writers' pet that unfairly gets extra cameos like the mass murderer, so when she's gone she really will be gone. I'm not in favor of killing off every character for the sake of 'fairness.' Who will be left to stay with us. T7?

I've had my fill of the kill options, I didn't want one for Theron even though I hate the character, and I appreciate that they didn't do any with the round of companions that returned this year.

FWIW I am in the camp that even if one left Theron to die, or you asked him to leave the Alliance, he'll be back somehow. They left the "death scene" open enough to allow for a loophole. For all we know Satele Shan got there in 15 minutes and rescued him. I don't think her letter meant much; if the Commander left him to die it's not as though she'd be writing a letter saying "good news! Theron's alive! Yay!"

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

It is unfair that people who want her gone can't have her gone. We've had to deal with options to kill our faves, Lanaites should share in that too.

No, they should not. Yes I have faced far too many deaths of my favorites even if I personally let them live and while it is tempting to say "Hey, fair is fair!", no, it isn't. I wouldn't want those who enjoy Lana to suffer through that same BS. Lucky for them that she's safe, less lucky for me with some of my guys but I won't t.it-for-tat on this and make other players miserable just because I've been. That's too juvenile and petty.

You want her gone for YOU, ask Bioware to invest in deactivate/hide companion functions.

Edited by JennyFlynn

One day, just one day I'd love to see far less bickering over companions. some don't like em, some love em. Never going to change each others' minds. Discussing sure, bickering at and insulting each other isn't discussing :(

Okay. Everyone but Gault and T7.

It's nothing personal, I just really hate Lana. From the perspective of my Sith characters, she's incompetent! The kind of incompetence that would get you executed. The recent story with Theron going renegade on us didn't help either. Granted that's more so to do with the writing than anything else.

Theron again is another character who has suffered because of the writing. He and Lana had a secret way to communicate and we're only finding out about this at the end? When everything is at risk Couldn't he have sent that at the start?

I do NOT want to kill Lana! :mad: I do want to tell her to go back to the Sith. You cannot give Theron a kill option and not Lana. Theron is far more important to the overall lore. If Aric Jorgan, gets a kill option, if Kalyio (Who I hate WAY more than ANYONE gets a kill option, if Quinn gets a kill option, then Lana needs to have an option too.

One day, just one day I'd love to see far less bickering over companions. some don't like em, some love em. Never going to change each others' minds. Discussing sure, bickering at and insulting each other isn't discussing :(

100% agree