According to reports, EA won't let Bioware make KOTOR 3...

ImmortalLowlife

The article is HERE

Apparently BW has tried several times to get it approved, but the suits at EA won't approve it. Damn shame if it's true, but EA only cares about games they can continuously monetize now. :mad: And they wonder why they have such a bad reputation. :mad:

All the more reason they need to lose their contract to make Star Wars games IMO.

As far as we know it's only a rumour. Not trying to defend EA here because frankly I hate the company, they don't know anything about the gaming industry other than Fifa and sports games. They should have never dabbled into other genres because they know nothing about that and completely get their fanbases wrong. Nonetheless, the article talks about a rumour but while those more than once have had a kernel of truth, it could be another hate campaign towards EA.

Still, I have no clue what the F EA is doing. From the way the company is behaving, shutting down Star Wars game after Star Wars game it almost seems as if someone has lost their mind a bit up there in the top of the company. People want a Star Wars RPG, how hard is it to understand that?

People want a Star Wars RPG, how hard is it to understand that?

It's like not knowing people need water. With all the clamor for Star Wars stuff, how does it make sense to neglect this game the way they have? Really boggles my mind tbh.

I aint even a Star Wars fanatic, I seen the first 3 movies as a child from the 70s-80s and stopped caring about SW after that tbh, lol. But it's so obvious with the amount of success Star Wars has had even after those first three movies.

My nephew and every other small kid loves Star Wars, this tells me that the IP will continue being beloved for another 20 years if they continue to cultivate it. Seems to me the perfect time to make a really successful Star Wars MMO, but what do I know.

What I find ironic is that Disney's own Star Wars Games webpage doesn't even mention SW:TOR.

Maybe they're embarrassed by it. :rolleyes:

SWTOR isn't canon - it wouldn't have even been made had Disney bought the license earlier, at least not the way we know and like SWTOR. It wouldn't be listed on Disney's page as a consequence.

SWTOR is original trilogy (i.e. George Lucas) Star Wars with an Old Republic spin. One of the reasons I'd frankly dread a Disney-era MMO or RPG is because it would be like the new films, all but one of which (Rogue One) were just bad or copy and pasting from a good Star Wars film (one of the OT films).

There's a good chance KOTOR 3 isn't being approved for "Legends vs. Canon" reasons just as much as EA just wanting a games as service model and nothing else, i.e. no single player RPG.

That said, I certainly hope EA loses sole rights to make Star Wars games. They've barely put any out with their license, and let a good one, SWTOR, atrophy and slowly get to the point of no return, without good reason. The engine might be difficult to work with, but it was still possible to make good expansions and content for SWTOR (and make a decent profit on it, especially in the era of renewed interest in Star Wars).

Lastly, if there ever is a KOTOR 3, I'd want Obsidien making it. BioWare is not the company it used to be - EA drove away much of the talent that made its past RPGs classics, including KOTOR. They wouldn't be able to make a worthy successor in KOTOR 3. Obsidien, once the exclusive license is gone, probably could. Certainly, they would get the writing done well, something BioWare simply can't do anymore. If Obsidien could make an RPG with the type of graphics and features people expect these days I wouldn't know - it's no doubt expensive.

Edited by arunav

You guys really missed the whole point, and I'm not going to bother trying to explain it. :rolleyes:

Regardless of what was getting missed, I think people's point was simply that the page referenced is quite literally Star Wars Kids, which SWTOR does not fit under. Also, those games are by Disney. SWTOR is not. So there is no irony, at least in that context.

Regarding the wider thread topic, SWTOR is what KOTOR 3 became. The original concept for KOTOR 3 was switched over to SWTOR around 2008, including the title. It was originally supposed to be released in 2010. So from EA's perspective, KOTOR 3's ship has sailed and/or we have it already, just under a different name.

One other point of relevance. KOTOR 3 was not seen as something that could be monetized. SWTOR was. So if any pushes are still happening for an actual KOTOR 3 (which I doubt, but can't say for certain), they are likely failing that standard. Whether that should be the standard is, of course, a very viable area of discussion and one fraught with people planting flags in the ground.

I remember reading years back that the reason we weren't getting a KOTOR 3 was because SWTOR was essentially KOTOR 3 through 10 because of the class stories. Not sure how legit that is but it was making the rounds way back when.

It's fairly legit in that the game that was to be KOTOR 3 became SWTOR. This was back in 2008. So it's not so much that we weren't getting a KOTOR 3 as it was that KOTOR 3 was rebranded as SWTOR.

Also it wasn't really "3 through 10." It was simply KOTOR 3 with the evolution from the previous two KOTORs being that you had two major stories to play through: Sith (as Warrior and Inquisitor) or Jedi (as Knight and Consular). Note the "and" in terms of the classes. It was not an "or" as the game became. It was going to be a way to experience the story from two different sides or points of view, both interconnected; both paying homage to the original KOTOR series of games but also branching out a bit from them.

The other class stories were something that had to be added when it became clear that SWTOR would be a full MMO-style experience, which means a need for more classes to balance against. Those stories then had to fit into the wider backdrop that was already established for the Jedi and Sith stories that ultimately culminate in the re-starting of the war and the focus on the Emperor.

What I find ironic is that Disney's own Star Wars Games webpage doesn't even mention SW:TOR.

Maybe they're embarrassed by it. :rolleyes:

That isn't a "here are the Star Wars video games out there" page, it's a "hey kids, click here to play these browser games" page.

That being said, your underlying point is still valid, since TOR isn't on starwars.com's page about available video games either (amusingly, KOTOR and KOTOR II are):

https://www.starwars.com/games-apps

Edited by DarthDymond