What/where is shield RATING calculated/added

dvametragluposti

Shields come with Shield (Rating), but I don't see that stat being calculated anywhere.

Forums say that it increases Shield CHANCE, but shields always have base 5% chance regardless of shield's rating.

Comparing two shields, one with 50 rating and other with 60, have no difference, other than stats that come with their mods.

Can someone clarify this for me?

If you mean the rating stat that tends to appear near the top of an item's description then it's a stat for comparative power rather than an actual calculable (unless it has some background impact on force/tech power granted by the item that hasn't been documented).

If you mean Shield Rating given near the bottom of the item description then it contributes to the Shield Chance calculation.

I know, but I simply can't find Shield's rating stat anywhere being used in a formula!
That's because the "Shield (Rating X)" number at the top of the tooltip isn't used for anything, other than relative quality compared to other shield generators. To make things even more confusing, you can get items that have a "+x Shield Rating" as one of their stat bonuses, along with Endurance, Aim, and/or whatever else. This doesn't affect the "Shield (Rating xx)" on your shield generator, but does affect your Shield Chance.

1. Look at the dropdown lists of statistics at the bottom of your character sheets, select Defense, and then mouse over the "Shield Chance" line. The tooltip will tell you your base shield chance (5% if you have a shield generator equipped), plus any boosts for abilities or other item bonuses to give your total shield chance.

2. The number in parenthesis at the top of the shield generator's tooltip has no relation to your "Shield Chance" (or Absorption). Every shield generator has the same base 5% "chance", regardless of that rating. The "Shield (Rating X)" at the top of the description just tells you A: it's a Shield, and B: it's better than one with (Rating 36), but not as good as one with (Rating 56). IOW, the higher number just indicates it has higher stat bonuses than one with a lower rating. If it's a modable shiled generator, you can change this by changing the Armoring you have slotted.

Example: My trooper has a modable shield generator. The tooltip reads "Shield (Rating 8)" with no armoring slotted. This gives me a base "shield chance" of 5% (and 20% Absorption).

I have another item worn that gives me a "+6 Shield Rating". On my character sheet, the total Shield Chance is 5.94% -- 5.00% base, and 0.94% "bonus" for the "+6 Shield Rating" on that item.

I then slot a Commando Armoring 5. My shield generator now says it is "Shield (Rating 46)" at the top of the item tooltip. But my shield chance remains 5.94%.

I have another shield generator that reads "Shield (Rating 32)" on the tooltip. If I equip this one, my shield chance is still 5.94%. And if I have no shield equipped, my shield chance is, of course, 0.00%.

Note also that regardless of whisch shield generator I have equipped, or what armoring is slotted in it, my character's total armor is unchanged. But if I have a better armoring slotted, it will give me some better stat bonuses.

Edited by Adric_the_Red

that's because the "shield (rating x)" number at the top of the tooltip isn't used for anything, other than relative quality compared to other shield generators. To make things even more confusing, you can get items that have a "+x shield rating" as one of their stat bonuses, along with endurance, aim, and/or whatever else. This doesn't affect the "shield (rating xx)" on your shield generator, but does affect your shield chance.

this.

Thanks.

If you like to see visual references like I do:

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww51/GidreaLightsky/shield.jpg

The shield itself has a base of 5%. The Shield Rating numbers you add to your gear gives you another percentage (18.02 in this example.) Being in Soresu Form (tank stance for a guardian) gives another 15%. So, the higher Shield Rating numbers you have, the better chance you have of shielding an attack.

If you like to see visual references like I do:

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww51/GidreaLightsky/shield.jpg

The shield itself has a base of 5%. The Shield Rating numbers you add to your gear gives you another percentage (18.02 in this example.) Being in Soresu Form (tank stance for a guardian) gives another 15%. So, the higher Shield Rating numbers you have, the better chance you have of shielding an attack.

The OP asked for the "Armor"-Rating of the SHield, not normal Shield Rating.

Since the introduction of modable offhands, shields, foci and generators have an additional rating in their sheet, based on the armoring you put in them.

Like Adric posted already:

That's because the "Shield (Rating X)" number at the top of the tooltip isn't used for anything, other than relative quality compared to other shield generators. [...]
Edited by Creror