PT theory crafting question.

DarkDaud

Hey whats up guys, just had a quick question for some more experienced Powertech players on how a certain talent functions...

Ok so long story short, I love my PT but I hate how I'm forced to use "ranged" abilities so damn close (10-12m), so I'm trying to get as much uptime on Pressure override as possible, just to have a more "ranged / melee" hybrid type playstyle.

I don't plan on PvPing or doing any Operations, so "loss of DPS/not BiS" is not a big concern, I just want to be able to use my kit at a farther range.... I mean who doesn't wanna deadly onslaught a pack of mobs from 30 meters away more than just every 2 minutes?!?!?

I found some talents and a set bonus that might just allow me to do that...

Price is Right Set bonus.

(2) +2% Mastery

(4) Battle Focus / Explosive Fuel increases damage done by 20% while Ion Cells / Ion Gas Cylinder is being utilized and increases damage reduction by 10% while Ion Cells / Ion Gas Cylinder is not being utilized.

(6) Each time you take damage while under Power Yield the cooldown of Battle Focus / Explosive Fuel is reduced by 3 seconds. This effect cannot occur more than once every 3 seconds.

Using this set bonus, and the following talents.

Pressure Overrides: Explosive Fuel grants pressure overrides while active, increasing the range of flame burst, magnetic blast, shatter slug, deadly onslaught, heat blast energy burst, immolate, and scorch by 20 meters.

Combustion Chamber: Power Yield increases damage done by an additional 2% when attacked while Ion Gas Cylinder is being utilized and refreshes its duration when attacked while Ion Gas Cylinder is not being utilized. power yield cannot last longer than 30 seconds.

The plan was to rock the Price is Right set, pop Explosive fuel, lay as much hate as I want for 10 seconds from 30 meters before leaping into combat to use my melee abilities, then popping Power Yield with the set 6pc set bonus "Each time you take damage while under Power Yield the cooldown of Battle Focus / Explosive Fuel is reduced by 3 seconds. This effect cannot occur more than once every 3 seconds." combined with the 2nd half of Combustion Chamber talent "and refreshes its duration when attacked while Ion Gas Cylinder is not being utilized"

120 seconds - 15 seconds for uptime - 60 seconds off CD in only 30 seconds via Power Yield, leaves you at about 40 seconds left on Explosive Fuel cd in an ideal situation (taking damage the whole time)

Does this seem like it would work pretty decent for just allowing me to use my kit at a farther range more often? I know it seems complicated, but it's quite simple. My PT is only level 26 so I'm not really sure/cant test it out, my main concern is all of the talents / set bonuses working the way that i am reading their tool tip.

As you said, you don't care whether it's optimal so enjoy it.

If you're asking if it is a viable idea for endgame then no it isn't. You pay too high of a price for such a gimmicky mechanic. A gimmic that only works in the rarest of circumstances.

Meteor brawler is your best set for damage even after the nerf. You don't need the utility for extra range because you can deal that same amount of damage close up. That point can be spent on something better.