[Proposal] Turn RE RNG discovery into XP driven discovery

coldcite

Right now one of the huge drawbacks of the crafting system is the discovery method employed to learn new schematics, or more precisely the lack thereof. If I had to start over on some other server, I would pick Cybertech hands down. Its linear progress offers much more flexibility stat-wise than other craft-skills such as Armormech (my current).

For instance, f I want a heavy Cunning/Critical armor set using Cybertech, I just have to RE "Skill Armoring" and "Keen Modification" over and over until I get purple-quality mods, something that as of right now, might as well happen just after my first RE. Same deal with "Patron Armoring" and "Skill Modification" in case I would like a Endurance heavy set. (You might argue that some special modifications such as "Keen" and "Patron" are only obtainable through schematic items, if so please read on)

Blue/Purple items progression from even Green items however, even having the same discovery chance (5% estimation), it's totally random in which stat is added on its next iteration, and to make things worse, you actually have the chance of discovering some schematic you already know!

Coping with last example, if I wanted a Cunning/Critical armor right from a green quality item I would be pursuing the "Critical" prefix, in order to get it I have to RE regular items over and over... only there is a chance I discover "Redoubt" (+def) or "Exactitude" (+acc) instead.

So, what I'm proposing is the removal of the RNG involved when RE'ing in lieu of a XP based system. How would it work? you will have to select a "line" of progress you would like to invest XP on, you will be able to determine which prefix you'll obtain in your next iteration.

[Cool Smuggling Jacket]

(Select "Critical" (+crit) in a dropdown menu from the item at RE time)

... RE ... RE ... RE ...

Congratulations, you have learned [Critical Cool Smuggling Jacket]

(Select "Exactitude" (+acc) in a dropdown menu from the item at RE time)

... RE ... RE ... RE ...

Congratulations, you have learned [Exactitude Cool Smuggling Jacket]

PROS:

- Crafting progression will be linear and not random.

- Progression rate can and should be tweaked accordingly.

- Would open a whole new world of new "hybrid" modification items, so its schematics are still useful.

- Possible market of fully customized gear 10-49.

CONS:

- Final nail in the coffin for dropped/quests green quality items

(Possible solution: this is happening already!)

- Will make high-end schematics way too powerful eventually.

(Possible solution: increase XP needed to "advance a tier" to almost impossible levels, or remove discovery on those altogether)

Edited by coldcite

Fully agree. Some variations are there only to make our life miserable (see Redoubt versions for Cunning items, or Presence on epic items). I don't care if they kept the discovery rate the same, but at least you'd know that after 500 REs, at least you're getting an item with usable stats.

I'm sure some people will come here to say that we want things "on a silver platter" and that we should have to "work" for nice things, but that's bollox. Most of us are sane people and would like to see the light at the end of the tunnel when we do something grindy, Also, the current system doesn't reward dedication, but luck. I'm not any more dedicated than the other guy when I discover a good schematic after 20 REs, while he's got nothing after 150.

Interesting idea. I do agree something should change about how RE works. Eventually, the RNG will upset quite a few people once they've hit a long dry streak. A few days ago with armormech I went through over 50 lvl49 blue BP's without a single discovery, and it's pretty upsetting.

Interesting idea. I do agree something should change about how RE works. Eventually, the RNG will upset quite a few people once they've hit a long dry streak. A few days ago with armormech I went through over 50 lvl49 blue BP's without a single discovery, and it's pretty upsetting.

Just wait till you do get a discovery and it's something you don't want (like redoubt on a cunning piece) and the next discovery or 2 you get a message that "you already know that schematic".

Back to the op's posting, I'd love to see something like that. You can still bring in a bit of randomness by allowing critting on RE to equal bonus xp gained towards learning a new schematic. Also would want to work something in there where your crew skill rating effects how fast you learn the schematic (when at 400 for the crew skill it's easier to learn a schematic for a level 25 item than it was when your crew skill was 200). But all in all good idea.

Green drop items will always have a place IMO because they are free and you'll have compainions who could use it that you may not want to spend a lot of credits/resources on. But there should be a lot of different ways to go above and beyond a majority of world drops and streamlining crafting is one good way.

Yeah, it can get pretty frustrating. I'm wearing an entire set of crafted purples (they're not the highest tier I can make yet, so I didn't bother getting the exact purples I wanted) right now, and it probably took about a week to make that set happen. The worst part is, it took maybe a day of crafting to get the legs and chest, another day to get the boots, belt, gloves, AND bracers, but FIVE DAYS to get the freaking head piece. (When I say days, I mean that, while I was questing, I did nothing but craft/RE - craft/RE - craft/RE with my crafting companion and send other comps out to farm for mats.)

That said, I don't feel like I've wasted my time. I always use quest rewards to gear companions and get mods for my saber - and when I do make that perfect Jedi Guardian tanking set, I'm going to go into ops as prepared as I can possibly be. I may be broke, but I can afford all my skills, and I'd rather spend my credits learning something I can potentially sell than just buying it from someone else.

Edited by TheSeventhJedi

/signed

Discovery "tracts" of any kind is a GREAT idea.

Hell I wouldn't mind if it was a long, long grind as long as I *knew* I was going to get the schematics I wanted if I kept working at it. With RNG you could literally never get what you want.

I vote for it hands down because ANYTHING better than current system.

I am at the verge of loosing hair because of stupid RNG reverse engineering.

One note, why not keep both RNG and add linear progression, so that when you choose what path to advance and start RE.. RE.. RE you might have a 5% chance to obtain desired schematic on your second attempt, but you are also guaranteed to obtain desired schematic after X attempts.

I'm sure some people will come here to say that we want things "on a silver platter" and that we should have to "work" for nice things, but that's bollox. Most of us are sane people and would like to see the light at the end of the tunnel when we do something grindy, Also, the current system doesn't reward dedication, but luck. I'm not any more dedicated than the other guy when I discover a good schematic after 20 REs, while he's got nothing after 150.

But we will be working hard to get things, discovery rate should be entirely tweakable (is that even a word? :p)

Back to the op's posting, I'd love to see something like that. You can still bring in a bit of randomness by allowing critting on RE to equal bonus xp gained towards learning a new schematic. Also would want to work something in there where your crew skill rating effects how fast you learn the schematic (when at 400 for the crew skill it's easier to learn a schematic for a level 25 item than it was when your crew skill was 200). But all in all good idea.

Green drop items will always have a place IMO because they are free and you'll have compainions who could use it that you may not want to spend a lot of credits/resources on. But there should be a lot of different ways to go above and beyond a majority of world drops and streamlining crafting is one good way.

Yeah, you can still apply randomness as it's being applied in the RE already in the form of "materials gained", maybe linking both? as I said, entirely tweakable.

Hell I wouldn't mind if it was a long, long grind as long as I *knew* I was going to get the schematics I wanted if I kept working at it. With RNG you could literally never get what you want.

One note, why not keep both RNG and add linear progression, so that when you choose what path to advance and start RE.. RE.. RE you might have a 5% chance to obtain desired schematic on your second attempt, but you are also guaranteed to obtain desired schematic after X attempts.

Exactly the point, I could even stand randomness if I knew what kind of prefix I will get next beforehand. But hey, we could add a little more flavor with the XP system, also it will server as a tool for the developers to control the influx of high-quality items accordingly.

I just updated the OP with a new "con". This is suppossed to be a proposal to give the crafting system a more defined meaning at lower levels (10-49), but I feel this could be slightly overpowered when you compute operation-level crafting schematics: they will eventually be too powerful.

Thanks for your support guys, I would like to hear even more "Cons" you might come up with so we can discuss them and maybe tweak the proposal accordingly!

Yes please. RNG with time-investment requirements is not as fun as it should be.

*EDIT*

As a suggestion - choose a focus - ie "Critical"; your schematics discovered will be much more LIKELY (ie. 60% likely) to be 'critical', but could end up being "redoubt" instead still. If you don't like the result, just redo it - doing something a set number of times is more tolerable.

Edited by JoyProtocol

i really agree with this. there is nothing more infuriating than r/eing 10-20 items....only to get a redoubt proc when making a dps item. or a critical proc on a shield generator for a tank....

i appreciate what they tried to do with the system, but...as a crafter i should have a wee bit more control over what i'm doing imo.

As a suggestion - choose a focus - ie "Critical"; your schematics discovered will be much more LIKELY (ie. 60% likely) to be 'critical', but could end up being "redoubt" instead still. If you don't like the result, just redo it - doing something a set number of times is more tolerable.

I could also live with that, the whole point would be having every crewskill as linear as Cybertech. (ie. I should know what prefix is coming up next)

Edited by coldcite

• 3 weeks later...

I support this idea.

Random chance of discovery is just annoying. If it was a progression bar instead, it would be far better.

Note: This must not be too easy however. At least 15 RE of green items to get the blue recipe and at least 15 RE of blue Items to get the purple one...

After the progression bar is filled up, a window should pop up allowing you to choose the newly discovered recipe.

Edited by Jedlosson

I'm fine with the random discovery aspect. It is similar to killing a boss and getting a random piece of loot. If anyone could just pick, they'd cherrypick the best recipes. So either everyone would have those, no problem, or else the rate would have to be low that you really wouldn't want to bother trying to get recipes other than those.

What I want is RE'ing have a pretty good chance of giving you the equivalent of a commendation. RE a green thing, get a green comm. RE a blue, get a blue, and obviously 2 tiers of purple. Different tiers as well, of course. And these can then be used to purchase a recipe of your choice from a vendor.

What this would mean is that you are still mostly reliant on random chance. But even if you fail to get what you want, you make progress towards getting it anyway. The cost of a recipe would be pretty high, so that it would take at least 100 REs to have enough to buy one. But it would provide a fallback to the RNG.

Put us on par with how HM and raid loot works, basically. Hope Lady Luck is with you, but if she isn't, you'll still get it eventually.

Edited by Battilea

I'm fine with the random discovery aspect. It is similar to killing a boss and getting a random piece of loot. If anyone could just pick, they'd cherrypick the best recipes. So either everyone would have those, no problem, or else the rate would have to be low that you really wouldn't want to bother trying to get recipes other than those.

What I want is RE'ing have a pretty good chance of giving you the equivalent of a commendation. RE a green thing, get a green comm. RE a blue, get a blue, and obviously 2 tiers of purple. Different tiers as well, of course. And these can then be used to purchase a recipe of your choice from a vendor.

What this would mean is that you are still mostly reliant on random chance. But even if you fail to get what you want, you make progress towards getting it anyway. The cost of a recipe would be pretty high, so that it would take at least 100 REs to have enough to buy one. But it would provide a fallback to the RNG.

Put us on par with how HM and raid loot works, basically. Hope Lady Luck is with you, but if she isn't, you'll still get it eventually.

You know what, you can just can it. You try playing an Armormech or a Synthweaver and keep RE'ing every item you want. Hope that lady luck is on my side? Sorry bucko, but hope is the first step on the road to disappointment, and when you burn through thousands and thousands of credits to run the mission skills that get you the blue underworld metal/luxury fabric/whatever that each mission takes nearly an hour to complete, just to get the purple recipe that you need, you'll start hating the RNG as well.

You know what, you can just can it. You try playing an Armormech or a Synthweaver and keep RE'ing every item you want. Hope that lady luck is on my side? Sorry bucko, but hope is the first step on the road to disappointment, and when you burn through thousands and thousands of credits to run the mission skills that get you the blue underworld metal/luxury fabric/whatever that each mission takes nearly an hour to complete, just to get the purple recipe that you need, you'll start hating the RNG as well.

I do have an armortech and a rising Synthweaver, plus a Cybertech with a nice collection of good purple earrings he can make. And I burn through tons of resources trying to get recipes. And, yes, it sucks. Especially the lame you already know this recipe message. *grrrr*

But that doesn't mean pick and choose is the best method. That makes it too easy for people to get what they want. Which means all those idiots that have crashed a lot of prices? They'll be free to do that everywhere. And that sucks too.

Which is why I want something between the two. Random as the main means, commendations as a fallback. It means it does take some effort to get what you want and you'll get a lot of things with random chance, but with every RE, you are a step closer to being able to get that one that is evading you. Note that commendations for each RE is basically what the OP is suggesting, just a variation on it.

Also, I'd be highly in favor of RE'ing returning more materials than it currently does. It should return about half, on average. Sucks to RE an item that takes 4 mandalorian iron and get none back. And you will get none back the vast majority of the time.

Edited by Battilea

• 1 month later...
No, we should be able to kill off companions, I want to be able to kill the traitors like Malavai, or the annoying people like Corso, I will not complain if I lose them and regret it, that would be my fault. We should at least have the option.

I'd prefer they just up the discovery chance to something like 80% for blues and 60% for purples and remove the possibility of duplicate discoveries.

I like the idea of xp based discovery over what they have now, but at the same time, xp based discovery turns it into a grind. I do like the chance to discover a new schematic even after just one RE attempt.