FP instruction manual?

So, I've been trying to do a few pre50 FP's for a while now and every time I start, I get a group that is made up of, like 'pro' gamers. Maybe that's an understatement. I've done very few FP's, and I'm not familiar with how to go about it. FOr example, I had no idea the Tank (me) led. Got laughed out of a FP the other day for that one. What I'd like to know is if there is some sort of thread with the basics of FP/OPs somewhere I don't know about. Or should I just start an alt and do the low-level FPs for the experience? Any advice is appreciated.

They scale pretty well, so doing the in order from the start is a great way to learn. Start with Black Talon / Essles then move to Hammerstation and so on and get some practice.

Tanks lead because they have to initiate combat, so them going first usually is the best way to go (unless there is a stealther to cc a path in the group)

If you wanna practice I'd suggest rolling a ranged DPS first, tanks and heals have a lot of responsibility so its best to hold off on those roles till you get used to how FP's work. Just dps whatever the tank is hitting and you should be fine.

This is an overview of FP's dunno about a straight guide though

Edited by Athena-Nike

I guess the first question is: do you know what it means to be a tank?

If you answer "yes" then that means that:

a) you are wearing tank gear (gear with Defense, Shield and Absorption rating).

b) you understand the basics of threat (also refered to as "aggro") generation and how to recover when you lose threat (using Taunts).

c) you know to keep an eye out on everything that is going on (and not just the mob you are hitting).

If the above is true then you do not need a FP guide. You are a tank and you will lead your group to success.

If on the other hand, if you did not answer "yes" or you answered "yes" but then realized that a, b and c did not apply to you, then you are *not* a tank. The fact that your Advanced Class can be a *tank* does not automatically mean that you can tank or even that you are a tank. Especially not at level 50 (or close to it).

So, as the 2nd poster indicated, go as a Damage Dealer (also refered to as DPS) and not as a Tank. No need to reroll another character. Just uncheck the "Tank" role in the Group Finder and wait for the queue to pop. (An aside: I would recommend doing the level 50 dailies while you wait. That way the wait is almost unnoticed and you will be making money, getting Daily commendations and, if you're on Belsavis, gaining affection with your companions while you wait.) Going as a Damage Dealer will not only teach you the Flashpoints *but* it will also show you what a tank has to do (allowing you to decide if you do want to be a tank with all that it implies).

Edited by ZeroPlus

YouTube is probably the best place to learn about FPs, as you can watch run throughs by other people. You can also watch the story without annoying your fellow group members.

As a rule, though, all you need to do is tell the group when you start that this is your first run through. Most groups are very understanding - we were all beginners once - and will take the time to explain fight mechanics to you.

They will, however, expect you to know your class role. Tanking and healing are straight up harder than DPSing. Tanks are expected to lead and they have to initiate fights (since the person who initiates gets all the initial aggro) as well as keep good awareness of the battlefield and use their taunts to keep enemies attacking them. Ideally the tank wants everybody on the battlefield attacking them, but if that's not possible they need to at least have the aggro of the strongest enemies. (Essentially a tank's attack/taunt priority is strongest to weakest).

As a previous poster mentioned, however, all tanking classes (Shadow/Assassin, Guardian/Juggernaut, Powertech/Vanguard) have alternative skill builds that focus on on damage. If you currently have a tank build, go to the guy on fleet who resets your skill tree and rebuild into a DPS. Then make sure that when you queue for group finder that only the DPS role is selected (the game has no way of knowing which build you are, and by default queues you as both a DPS and tank). You can then run through the flashpoints as DPS and get a feel for the group dynamic. The role of a DPS is much simpler - for the most part you just focus down enemies, picking off the weakest first and then working your way up to the strongest (pretty much the opposite priority of the tank). You can later switch back to being a tank by respeccing again.

join a nice guild where people can teach you. it is hard to learn from a different set of strangers as everyone has different ideas based more on what game they came from rather than the one they are currently in.

what server are you on and faction?

What I'd like to know is if there is some sort of thread with the basics of FP/OPs somewhere I don't know about. Or should I just start an alt and do the low-level FPs for the experience? Any advice is appreciated.

look here for flashs' guides and tactics

Dulfy's Flashs' guides

look here for detailed mechanics of your class

mmo-mechanics

tank should be first because he should pull and hold the agro from the strongest npcs

He deals not so much damage but he must make every mob to attack him

and survive while healer heals him :-)

if DPS attacks first - he gets agro and it's a mess to heal every member of the group

sometimes DPS do too much damadge and get agro while fighting then tank should pull agro from DPS

and of course everytime and everyone should pull agro from a healer and defend him

Edited by pan_sObak