TFB HM (Operator IX)

Hey guys,

trying to get some tips/tricks for this boss, we been stuck on him.

the problem seems to be we are having problems clicking the probes and it is wasting to much time before we can channel to kill the datacrone. tab targeting doesn't work, does anyone have any suggestions in finding them and clicking them to kill them ASAP. We are spending 10/15 seconds doing this, and missing out on killing the data cube in time on the 4th color.

we have been killing the probes 1st and then channeling because the probes do there stun.

we thought about channeling first then going to the probes.

Just looking for some feedback, thanks.

well I always start out on blue so I know where my probe spawns (on the far right) so I'm pretty good at clicking on them. We've done the fight (and wiped) so many times that we've figured out where they spawn. With the final color (yellow) we have our gunslinger channel right away and while he's channeling he looks around and just targets the probe (cause he has nothing better to do while channeling) and as soon as we get the two cores down he finishes the probe quickly before engaging the boss and the rest of the adds.

As long as the tanks are avoiding aoe damage that may aggro the probe, you can channel first and target the probe while channeling.

Edited by OMGitsCHARLIE

The trick to this fight is quick and unquestioning execution of every mechanic. It tests your reaction time.

As SOON as the color in the middle changes or turns on, probes spawn out of the left and right sides of the room. Always from the same location, always following the same path. You should pair people up (in 8-man) so that a DPS is paired with either a tank or a healer. The DPS needs to immediately kill their probe, then channel. Killing the probe should take a grand total of three seconds at most. You just have to click them and use whatever you have at your disposal to kill them quickly. That being said, the DPS who is channeling needs to have first priority on killing their probe; the person in the middle has a whole 30+ seconds to kill theirs, so let the DPS find theirs first so they can immediately start channeling.

The DPS who is the last channeler, yellow I believe, needs to immediately start channeling, ignoring their probe. Every second counts in that last phase, and it's essential that every second of burn time is allowed. The DPS who channels can kill their probe after all of the data cores are down.

Something else that can also help you to kill the cores is to pre-dot them, if you know which cores will get deactivated. We also mark them with raid marks and call out the symbols that get downed for easy acknowledgement. We also have one healer help dps during the first phase. If your tanks are itemized properly and know what they're doing, they will only need one healer between them.

The only time our raid is taking a lot of aoe damage is if we fail a phase and have a rectifier appear. We purposely fail the purple phase to help clean up adds. So we do blue and orange like normal, then all dps focus on clearing the two regulators from the orange phase. After the two regulators are down, we burn 1 purple datacore. After the datacore we defeat the rectifier add that spawns from us failing the phase. After the rectifier goes down we proceed to burn the second datacore and move on to the super burn yellow phase.

NEVER intentionally fail a phase. NEVER EVER. You're setting yourself up for failure.

We intentionally fail the purple phase to clean up the adds from previous phase since Purple only spawn 1x Rectifier + recognizer adds. This make things more tidy than rushing through purple, at least for us.

Edited by Iwipe

We intentionally fail the purple phase to clean up the adds from previous phase since Purple only spawn 1x Rectifier + recognizer adds. This make things more tidy than rushing through purple, at least for us.

This is what my guild does as well. It just makes it easier on everyone to burn 1 core during the purple phase and leave the other one at about 20%. Fail the phase and deal with the rectifier then burn the last core easily. This sets up the last phase really nicely for us.

I think once everyone gets the fight down pat, it'll probably be more reasonable to clear all of the color phases on the first pass, but for right now my guild has found the dulfy strategy of intentionally failing the purple phase to be the easiest.

We've tried repeating the purple phase like Dulfy does in his videos and it wasnt working out for us at all. We did better having the blue dps burn down the first champion mob to 20% or so and leaving it for the healers and the tank to finish off. Doing this the first mob was dead or less than 5% when the second one spawned. One thing we did notice is the cast time for the person pressing the button is 5 seconds shorter than the phase time. So what we did is have the person pressing the button stop the channel after the first core was down and restart it. B/c we were failing. After we figured this out it went much smoother and we finished the yellow phase with 10 seconds left. PPl were getting insta gibbled in the next phase tho and i'm not 100% sure why im thinking it was b/c they didn't kill there probes.

I'm aware that the probes give you a debuff. What I'm not aware of is what the debuff does. Does it protect you form some sort of Aoe that he puts out in the second phase? Or is the debuff for when the ppl get the color under them and the corresponding color has to go stand on them. if it is the later if one person kill's both probes does this mean they are responsible for going to stand on the guy with the color at his feet? If anyone could help it'd be very helpful. Killed the first 2 bosses in HM in about 45 min without ever seeing it before and have been stuck on this boss for god knows how long.

Killing the spheres gives you the obtuse debuff. This can be used to shield a player who gets targeted for deletion (color circle around their feet). Shielding another player consumes the debuff, so each player (assuming they killed their sphere) is able to shield once (if you haven't downed the boss by the time this has gone through each player twice you're taking too long). If one player kills 2 spheres they will only get 1 obtuse debuff and you will be lacking a shield for the second phase. Additionally, if both players with an obtuse debuff move into the color circle around the targeted player, BOTH obtuse will be consumed and you will again be lacking the shield should that color come up again.

We fail purple on purpose too, then when yellow comes up put a ranged dps in the centre circle and send your weaker tank to channel ASAP, yellow ranged dps can then kill their probe and help your main tank and healers with the two big droids from the centre circle. We have a sentinel solo one yellow core with inspiration and power adrenal ( note they will have to be around 700 bonus damage and perfect rotation to achieve this) the other two dps take the other yellow core.

When the main boss spawns the weaker tank picks up the boss until all adds are dead, then the main tank picks up the boss while the other tank goes to get the last yellow sphere probe droid hope this helps

We do purposedly fail purple phase too (gosh it's late i'm writing bad poetry on a MMO forum ^^).

The greatest trouble we're having is during phase 2, the boss occasionnaly turns toward a non-tanking group member, WITHOUT any aggro loss, and hits him with a 19k-ish blast. Does anyone knows why this happens, and is there a mechanism to prevent this ? I saw the same thing happening a couple times on Dulfy's video too.

Another guild on my server told us it was a bug, so any intel would be appreciated.

We do purposedly fail purple phase too (gosh it's late i'm writing bad poetry on a MMO forum ^^).

The greatest trouble we're having is during phase 2, the boss occasionnaly turns toward a non-tanking group member, WITHOUT any aggro loss, and hits him with a 19k-ish blast. Does anyone knows why this happens, and is there a mechanism to prevent this ? I saw the same thing happening a couple times on Dulfy's video too.

Another guild on my server told us it was a bug, so any intel would be appreciated.

Theres an aggro dump after every set of circles in phase 2, perhaps thats it?

Some Notes that work for my group:

Color | Channeler : Center Circle

Blue | Healer : mDPS

Orange | Tank : rDPS

Purple| mDPS : Healer

Yellow | Tank : rDPS

1) Countdown Timer doesn't start channeling on blue if no one steps into the blue circle. Use this time to grab your respective orbs and dps the ads.

2) During the Orange Phase and the Yellow Phase, we have the healers help DPS the first Champion Ad. We drop HoT heals and start to help contributing to DPS. Both our healers are sufficiently responsive so we know which to help DPS and what to avoid. We haven't actually tried not failing a phase yet, which may be possible, which brings me on to my next point.

3) We fail purple as adviced by dulfy. We tried not failing a phase, ended up with 3 Champions by the time the Operator IX spawned. For those who say do not fail a phase, I'd like to know how it can be done, we're trying but not succeeding =\

4) Purple phase has mDPS channeling coz he can't do as much as a healer can during the phase. The healer also has to anticipate the phase failing and the huge incoming damage. This may come as a shock to most 1st time healers. He casts a AOE boomerang.

5) Phase failing gives mDPS time to catch his sphere.

6) Don't forget that healers can also help slow/snare/stun the incoming droids, in case the tanks run out of taunts. Only the one going towards the channeler matters. So can DPS who are on the way to the next core.

7) We reserve our inspiration for the Yellow phase, although we found this to be unnecessary in most cases. Just like a precautionary measure we use in the last bombardier in EC HM.

The above has worked for us.

As aforementioned, it is a very unforgiving fight if you're ignorant. It is very easy if everyone knows their parts and what to do. Each raid WILL differ from each other, find a method that works for you. Good luck!

Edited by eventidephoenix

It's 50/50 and we barely manage it but my group has been going with a do not fail strategy here.

The set up (Circle/Console):

Blue: ®DPS / (m)DPS

Orange:Heals / (r/m)DPS (ranged DPS and healer could swap roles here if desired)

Purple: ®DPS / Tank

Yellow:Heals / Tank

This set up will create these situations:

Blue: 2DPS on cores, 1 Healer healing, 1 Healer DPSing, 1 DPS on adds (from the circle), 2 tanks grabbing adds.

Orange: 3DPS on cores, 1 Healer on adds (from the circle), 1 Healer healing, 2 tanks grabbing adds.

Pruple: 3DPS on cores, 1 DPS on adds (from the circle), 1 Healer playing situationally (heal/DPS where needed the most), 1 Healer healing, 1 tank grabbing adds

Yellow: 4DPS on adds, 2 Healers healing, 1 tank tanking adds

Each phase consisted of Channeling the console immediately and killing one core. Before the first core drops, the channeler grabs sight of his colored sphere in preparation to kill it. Once the group swaps to the other core, the channeler kills his sphere and re-channels (if done correctly, he should be able to kill a sphere that's located directly next to the console). The dps hit the adds while running across and then destroy the second cube.

In the event that the timer is going to run out, we simply call out for cleaning up the adds before pushing phases. It's not required but occurs only when we are sloppy with any of the mechanics.

Edited by Codek

Hi guys!

We are havin trouble with the Periodical-Damage-Mechanic! I hope someone of you can shed some light on it.

I never saw it mentioned in a guide anywhere,

but its what is making us big trouble on our first attemts yesterday.

As i see it, Operator lX is casting periodical damage on all players in the raid, that can get higher.

What we didn`t figure out is, why its getting higher in our raid, and in the killvids i see, they always get like 900, and later maybe 1,2-1,8k, while sometimes we get up to 2,4k in the purple phase!?

It`s definitly too much to heal through.

My guess is that its caused by corrupted A.I., or some other mechanic,

but i want to understand this completely!

Thx for any help!

Hi guys!

We are havin trouble with the Periodical-Damage-Mechanic! I hope someone of you can shed some light on it.

I never saw it mentioned in a guide anywhere,

but its what is making us big trouble on our first attemts yesterday.

As i see it, Operator lX is casting periodical damage on all players in the raid, that can get higher.

What we didn`t figure out is, why its getting higher in our raid, and in the killvids i see, they always get like 900, and later maybe 1,2-1,8k, while sometimes we get up to 2,4k in the purple phase!?

It`s definitly too much to heal through.

My guess is that its caused by corrupted A.I., or some other mechanic,

but i want to understand this completely!

Thx for any help!

The constant pulse (aoe) from the center is called corrupted A.I., and it's damage is increased each time your get green obtuse (the fail message). If you have failed more then twice it becomes rather impossible to heal through, while trying to heal through the normal raid damage.

Wow, that was pretty precise!

Thanks a lot for the help!

Now i need to know, how to prevent Green Obtuse from happening, whatever that is.

I suggest the cast from the Operator in Phase 1?

More or less you have to kill the cores before the guy finish casting, and restarts a color phase, and has a Rectifier spawn.

really weird i havent seen the strat with tank and heals doing the circle and channels for the last two colors. i have heard other groups using this strat as well.

I think there is multiple ways of distributing colors, but i find having 3 dps always on the cores, and always having one dps dedicated to the regulators provides the greatest amount of success with some room for error.