(L,F&E 59) Slavery Doesn't Pay

kalenath

<Planet Averum, Saswenna Sector, Outer Rim>

The human shook his head as he walked through the small spaceport. Security was tight. Tighter than almost anywhere else he had been recently as a matter of fact. Admittedly, he hadn’t gone down to Drumond Kaas, but this was insane. He had passed through three checkpoints in the last five minutes. Each time, he had presented his ID and been scanned. Not that he was hiding anything. Well, anything but his identity. And his IDs were not fakes. They were genuine Imperial IDs.

There are benefits to working for the Bladeborn The man who looked nothing at all like Cole Shanas thought with an inward grin. He saw the exit of the spaceport and sighed as he saw yet another checkpoint. This one with two assault droids standing guard as well as the squad of troops. And yet again, he presented his ID.

“Mr. Aos, what brings you to Averum?” This from a trooper in red armor, probably a sergeant.

The man whose ID proclaimed him to be Fergal Aos nodded politely. “Research. My company is studying the effects of the mineral content on the manure here. We think we may be able to duplicate conditions elsewhere.”

The sergeant nodded politely. “There have been some incidents recently. Security has been increased. We ask that you report any suspicious activity immediately.” He extended the ID back to Aos, who stood and waited while another trooper scanned him. The scanner beeped and all the troops tensed. But the sergeant shook his head. “Your ID says you are cleared to carry concealed, but… May I see that sir?”

Aos nodded and gingerly removed his blaster from its hidden holster and presented it, handle first to the sergeant, who whistled. The sergeant examined it and shook his head. “Aratech C-5, modified?”

Aos nodded. “Scope and laser sight. I like to hit what I aim at.” The sergeant chortled and sounds that might have been muffled laughs came from a few of the other troops. An Aratech C-5 could drop a charging Ronto with a well placed shot. Let alone what it would do to armor…

The sergeant shook his head and extended it back carefully. “That is some blaster sir. But I don’t need to tell you…” He broke off as Aos smiled sourly.

“Give me a break, I know better than to point guns at soldiers. Could get hurt.” At that, all of the troops laughed. Aos holstered his blaster and looked to the sergeant who nodded.

The sergeant became professional again. “You can go about your business. Security is very tight at the moment. And again, if you see anything suspicious, report it immediately.”

Aos nodded. “Anything I should know about?”

The sergeant shrugged. “All we have been told was that a wanted fugitive came through here. Apparently he killed a family out in the boonies, as well as three squads worth of troops and an apprentice to a Lord Oulan, whoever that is..” Aos’ brows lifted at that.

When he spoke it was cool. “Someone bad news then. Well, for what it’s worth, I hope you get him.”

The sergeant nodded. “We will get him, sir. Will Kalenath can’t run forever.”

At that, Aos’ eyes went wide. “HE is here? I… uh… I heard about Korriban…” It wasn’t every day someone blew a nuke on a Sith tomb world after all. Admittedly, the man had been given reason. Good reason. But that wasn’t something Fergal Aos would know, so he schooled his features into a mask of worry.

The sergeant winced and nodded. “He was here. HQ is about 90% sure he is gone. We are here just in case.”

Aos nodded. “Keep up the good work, sergeant.” He sighed. “Now I need to get to work.”

The sergeant nodded. “Move along. Next…”

Aos smiled thinly as he stepped out of the spaceport into air that smelled of spacecraft fuels, wood smoke and… Manure. Averum was a farming world with little in the way of automation. As such it had fallen fairly quickly to the Sith war machine when the initial Imperial offensives had stormed the Saswenna sector. And the rustic scene that greeted him on exiting the spaceport was different from what he was used to. Small buildings lay scattered about. Animals set up for riding were interspersed with landspeeders airspeeders, speeder bikes and swoops. Two cantinas were within easy walk of the entrance to the spaceport, but he ignore them. He had to maintain his cover as a respected businessman doing a very nasty job.

He smiled as he walked towards the piles near the closest building. As he walked he pulled out a small scanner and datapad. As covers went, this one would be fairly nasty. And his hidden gear and weapons had passed security without a hitch. So he was well on his way, hopefully to vengeance.

For just a moment, he saw his little boy’s face again, crying as he bled out. He knew that the beings who had taken his wife and daughter, killed his boy, were scum. Slavers as a whole were not socially acceptable, but the Roylio Slaver Cooperative or RSC was even worse than most. The force that had hit his world had been well armed, well equipped and well organized. And the woman leading it… He wasn’t totally sure, but he was almost certain that Cos Miran was the leader who had attacked his city. Her forces had slaughtered all resistance and then…

He shook his head. Dwelling in the past wouldn’t help. He stared his scans of the manure, aware of eyes on him from all around, but as long as he stayed in character nothing could go wrong. Right?

<Half a block away>

“Who the heck is that?” The black haired woman carefully didn’t stare at the newcomer who was now up to his knees in the pile of manure.

“Dunno. He be crazy. Who in their right mind want to wade through osik?” The brown haired boy stopped talking as the black haired woman hissed at him.

Her voice was pitched for his ears alone. “Watch the expletives, Marcus. Farmers are unlikely to know Mandalorian.” He flushed and then nodded, picking up his drink again. It looked and smelled like lomin ale, but was non-alcoholic. And a good thing. Marcus didn’t want to get caned again. His dad had no tolerance for ‘what happens on the missions stays on the mission’. And the one and only time Marcus had been drunk, well, he didn’t want to repeat it.

“Sorry, Serge… I mean Megan…” He ducked his head to hide his embarrassment and Megan nodded.

She smiled a little. “Mistakes happen Marcus, especially when people get stressed. But watch yourself. Three o’clock…”

Their eyes went to a small group that was walking down the street. The RSC logo was prominent on their jackets. Jackets that were likely body armor as well. Six in the group. A Weequay, a Nikto, two humans, an Aqualish and a Trandoshan. All armed and mean looking. Marcus looked away, his blood boiling.

Megan’s voice was hushed as the group paused looking at the crazy human in the manure. “Good boy. Hide it. We will get her back, Marcus.”

<The manure pile>

Aos had been aware of the group before they had stopped. His blood had been boiling as soon as he had seen the logos. But killing these morons was not his goal. He focused on his scans until one of them spoke in broken Basic.

“You, human. What you do?” Aos looked up and met the eyes of the spokes being, the Aqualish stood a little in front of the others.

Aos smiled, but there was no friendliness in it. “My job.”

The Aqualish laughed. “You like play in dung?”

Now Aos stood up straight and only someone truly paranoid might think that his hand floated very near a concealed blaster. “Better to play in dung, than to be dung. Wouldn’t you agree?”

It took a moment for all the assorted beings to realize they had been insulted, but when they had, all reacted the same. They reached for weapons, but Aos just smiled and pointed to the side. All of the beings looked and froze. The squad of Sith troops who had been standing guard at the entrance of the spaceport had their weapons trained on the slavers. The assault droids whirred as they focused on the slavers as well. For a long moment, no one moved.

Finally, Aos relaxed and smiled viciously. “Go away, dung for brains. I have work to do.”

The slavers walked away, some looking at Aos with glares that slid off of him, but most watching the Sith troops whose weapons followed them until they were out of sight. Aos nodded to the sergeant, who nodded back before resuming his guard position. Aos sighed and started scanning again, aware of scrutiny from all around that he ignored. He had to maintain his cover. For now. Soon, he promised himself, very soon, he would tear these slavers a new one.

<Down the street>

“Wow…” Marcus’ voice was hushed. Awed even. When the human had stood off the slavers, he had been one small step from running up and joining the fight. Now he was glad he hadn’t.

Megan’s voice was troubled as she drank carefully from her glass. “That man is more than he seems. Much more. You saw where his hand was? He is armed. And the Sith backed him up.”

“What do we do?” Marcus asked as he sipped his own drink and tried not to make a face. It looked and smelled like ale, but it tasted like garbage.

Megan sighed. “For now, we sit and finish our drinks. We stay in character. We continue the mission. And we report this as soon as we can. Things just got complicated. Very complicated.”

<Later>

Fergal Aos found himself a room for the night and set up his gear. First was the jammer, which came up clean. Second was the secure module to attach to the room’s terminal, allowing it to send and receive secure transmissions, as well as piggyback undetectably onto Sith military channels. Third was to take a long, hot shower. When he had finished, the com system had finally connected and he sat down in front of the terminal. His entire demeanor changed, from the studied and slightly bookish Aos to the cool and dangerous Shanas.

His voice was clear and precise. “I have made contact, Trugoy. They are here.”

The voice of the Bladeborn’s grandmaster came from the speakers. “Be careful Cole, I can’t seem to get any support at the moment. I am working on it.”

"Understood." Cole nodded. “Security is very tight. Apparently Will Kalenath came through here recently and made a mess as he always does.”

Trugoy made a noise of agreement. “Yes, Vorren said he hit the… Hmmm… Shipping records…”

Shanas nodded slowly. Will was looking for his daughter. That was both good and bad. Good in that he was long gone by now and likely wouldn’t be back. Bad in that everywhere he went chaos and destruction followed him. In Cole’s line of work, chaos was bad. He liked to plan things. Working by the seat of his pants, while he was good at it, never sat well with him.

"Yeah." Cole sighed. “I will be in touch nightly.”

"I know." Trugoy sighed. “Be careful Cole. I don’t have to remind you that these beings are dangerous.”

Cole snorted. “So am I. But I have spent five years looking for this witch, I am not about to ruin it now.” The terminal shut down and Cole stared at it, unseeing. Once more he heard his boys wails. Felt the life leaking out as the air leaked out of the escape pod that he sat in cradling the cooling body. Once more, he heard the woman laugh as she took his wife and daughter from him.

Soon... Very soon...

<The past>

They were coming. Cole Shanas had been away from his family’s home when the slaver ships had appeared. His job as an airtaxi driver took him some odd places. The fare that he had taken had paid well though and he had been on his way back when the com lit up with warnings of unidentified ships and airspeeders. He had managed, through skill and more than bit of luck, to get back unscathed. His brown hair shone with sweat as he pulled weapons from the hidden locker that his father had built into this house. Owning weapons was forbidden to private citizens in Sith space, but his family had always adhered to the idea that it was always easier to ask forgiveness than permission and it had worked. The Sith cared about results generally, not methods. Xera took the blaster rifle he handed her with reluctance but obvious skill as she checked the charge indicators. The he looked to his children. Juli was steady, at nine, she was strong fast and capable. And a fair shot. Jac on the other hand was staring befuddled at his parents, worry clawing at his two year old eyes. They were such good kids, but they needed him to be strong. Xera met his eyes, her blue ones piercing deep into his soul as he sealed the locker again. He smiled sadly and stroked her short blonde hair. The kids took after her, thank goodness. The nicest that had ever been said about his own features was ‘craggy’. He handed Juli a blaster and she nodded. Then he patted Jac’s head. He smiled sourly as he hefted his weapon.

The initial reports were that the garrison, such as it was, had been overwhelmed in minutes by a coordinated air and ground attack. And that left the civilians to their own devices. Some of the civilians were trying to set up a coordinated defense near the town square, but Shanas knew that if the slavers had taken the garrison so easily, no jury rigged, half shebbed defenses were going to hold them out.

“The shelter?” Xera asked quietly. Shanas nodded. His parent had built a covert shelter in the basement of their living quarters for just such eventualities. It was illegal, mind you. But Shana had never really minded. Itw as small and cramped, but proof from sensors, supposedly.

“We can’t fight. And if they take us…” Xera nodded and scooped Jac up as he started to cry, sensing somehow the emotions that ran through the air. Then they ran, Juli’s hand in Coles and Jac hanging on for dear life as Xera kept pace with her husband.

They almost made it. They were less than two hundred meters from the safe zone when a loud voice called out. “You there… Freeze!”

Cole gave his wife a shove and dropped into cover as blasters started sounding. No, not blasters… the beams were not red. Stunners. The slavers wanted prisoners. No credits for corpses after all. Cole’s weapon however…

He drew a bead on the first slaver he saw and a bolt flew true to take the scum between the eyes. Then he switched to full automatic. Repeating blasters were highly illegal for civilians to own and he had often wondered how his father had acquired this one, but the light repeater drove the slavers away from his position, leaving several of them in cooling piles on the ground. His heart froze as he saw the logo of the Roylio Slaver Collective on their uniforms and armor. The RSC was not a nice group. Likely, the slavers would take the adults and either shoot the children or leave them to starve. No money in kids after all, they couldn’t work. Cole focused on what he could do. Every time he saw a part of slaver anatomy, he put a blaster bolt through it. Twice they tried to rush him and both times, he drove them back.

Then he heard it. A whirring. His heart froze as he saw the droid shoulder its way through a wall and start toward shim. His blaster wouldn’t penetrate. He tried anyway, but his shots just bounced off. A noise and he was falling…

<Later>

Pain woke him. Hands rolled him until he was sitting upright and then another blow sent him sprawling. His hands and feet were bound and something clinked around his neck, but he looked up into cold eyes.

The woman sneered. “This? This pathetic scum cost us twenty men?”

Cole snarled. “Who are you calling scum, scum?” A kick landed on his ribs ad he curled up as more blows pummeled him.

The woman shook her head. “Well… You might actually have made me some money in the arenas with fight like that. But not now. Discipline must be maintained.”

Cole laughed. “Discipline? Among slavers? Wow, times have changed.”

She kicked him again and this time he heard something snap. “I have something special in mind for you. Bring him…” Rough hands picked him up and carried him. He thought he saw the corridors of a ship, but was too groggy to be sure. But then his head cleared.

“DAD!” the cry had his heart lurching as he saw Xera holding Juli nearby. Both wore manacles and slave collars. He looked at the woman who now held a bloody mass in her hands.

“We might never have found them if this brat hadn’t run to you. It took us a while to find the hidden compartment, but we did. Put him in.” The hands tossed him through a hatch. The woman looked in and smirked. “This pod is defective. It has an air leak, a slow one. Enjoy your last few hours. Oh, and you are not going alone.” She threw the bloody bundle at him and his heart seemed to stop as he realized it was his son. He heard Xera scream his name as the hatch started closing

Before it closed he shouted. “I will kill you! You slaver scum, count on it!” Then a powerful acceleration threw him to the wall of the pod. And all he could do was hold his son’s weeping body close. It was some time later when he realized that his son wasn’t breathing any more. His scream reverberated through the pod. And he was still crying when the Bladeborn found him, two hours later.

<The present, Averum>

Shanas woke, his pulse pounding. The dream… again… It had felt so real. It always did. He sighed and moved towards the refresher. Might as well start the day, he would never be able to get back to sleep. And today, hopefully, he would find out where to go next. To find his vengeance.

<Later that day>

Fergal Aos stood in line at the records office, wondering if this was really going to be worth it. After all, the slavers were here, and obviously they had a sizable presence on planet. He had seen three more groups of them so far, strutting around as if they owned the area, typical. They were all bluster until someone stood up to them, then like all bullies, they slunk off, looking for a way to strike from hiding with no danger to themselves. He knew that his presence was noted, that he was under surveillance. And that was good. He wanted the slavers to see him, to note him, to think he was a potential threat, but not enough of a threat to warrant immediate elimination. After all, slavers were always after one thing, credits. Take him as a hostage maybe, maybe take him and sell him at one of the slaver markets. Either way, he had to get inside, and the easiest way was to allow them to take him.

So, once he had finished his business at the records office, which took three times as long as it should have with all the increased security, he started back for his rented room. And he carefully ignored the shadows that followed him. Until one of them blocked his path.

“You, human.” It was the Aqualish from the day before.

Aos put just the right tone of indifference in his words. “Oh, it’s the dung for brains. What do you want?”

The Aqualish snarled. “You come.”

Aos smiled thinly. “I don’t think so.”

The Aqualish snarled louder. “You come. Now.”

Aos thought about that for a moment, and then smiled again. “Well, since you ask so nicely… No.” His hand flashed and came up with his blaster as he ducked for cover. He had the pleasure of seeing the Aqualish fall before stun bolts hit him from three different directions. He kept a grin off his face as he collapsed.

So far, so good…

<Some time later>

When Aos woke, he wished he hadn’t. He had been subjected to stunners a number of times in his life and it always seemed that slaver stunners were nastier than anyone else’s. Maybe it was the fact that the idiots usually didn’t know how to maintain their weapons. He was careful to regulate his breathing in sleep rhythms as he cracked his eyes and looked around. What he saw didn’t surprise him. A slaver stockade. Beings of various races were packed in like animals, and to the slavers that was exactly what the beings in the pen were. Money on feet. Aos sat up and looked himself over slowly. His head hurt from the stunner and he has several new bruises as well as a pain in his foot that said possible fracture. Manacles clinked on his wrists and ankles and a collar was around his neck. He looked around and blinked as someone spoke.

“Easy mister, they messed you up good.” Aos turned to see a young girl, maybe eighteen, sitting nearby. She held her arm awkwardly as if it hurt to move it. Her dark hair might have been brown, maybe dark blond, it was hard to see in the poor light, was caked with mud and filth, but her hazel eyes were steady as she looked at him.

“How… long…?” He asked carefully as he sat up.

The girl shrugged. “Dunno. One meal.”

Aos nodded slowly. It was easy to lose track of time in a cell with no clocks or ways of counting. “Two meals between the time the light comes on and when it goes out?”

The girl nodded, her expression puzzled. “How do you know that?”

Aos shrugged. “Not the first prison I have been in.” He extended his manacled hands. “Fergal Aos.”

The girl took one of his hands in her uninjured one and shook gently. “Miriam Chines.”

Fergal sat back and grimaced as sore muscles protested. “Well, Miriam Chines. How did a nice girl like you wind up in here?”

Miriam sighed. “It were my own dumb fault. I was visiting, see. Friend had new kids. Wanted to visit. Pa said it was okay. So I went. They hit the farm. Took everyone, I think. Ain’t seen any of the little’uns. Should have run. But couldn’t just leave her. Only slug guns, but we tried.”

Aos nodded soberly. “This group routinely takes only adults. The kids are either still there…”

Miriam shuddered. “Or they done been killed. How long you think they keep us here?”

Aos shrugged. “If they are anything like other slavers I have heard of, they will wait until the pens are full to send a shipment off.” Miriam and Fergal stared around. The pens were maybe half full.

Miriam looked at him. “You is awfully calm, seeing how you been snatched like the rest of us.”

Aos just smiled thinly. His voice was quiet. “You better get what rest you can, Ma’am. Might be a long night.” Miriam looked at him and then shook her head slowly and sank back down to her spot on the floor.

<After lights out that night>

Aos hadn’t been sure of this part of his plan. Getting into a cell was easy. Getting out, by definition, was always harder. And then there was the problem of the other inhabitants of the cell. He had hoped for separate cages, but this made more sense for a security standpoint. One way in, one way out. He tensed as he heard voices.

“Come on, you seen the one I want…” He didn’t move of flinch as two shadows came close to the bars. “That one, the cute little number with the busted arm. Lotsa fight in her.” It wouldn’t have been so bad, except the speaker was female. “Boss likes it when they fight. I wanna a piece of what’s left.” He could see by the stiffness in her body that Miram was awake and could hear just as well as he could. “Dose ‘em.”

Aos tensed as he heard a hissing. Then he nodded. It made sense for them to use gas. For any slavers to enter the pen without making sure the prisoners were either unconscious or secured in some other way was foolhardy to say the least. Of course they hadn’t searched him very thoroughly when they had brought him in. If they had, they would have found the nose plugs that allowed him to stay conscious when everyone else in the pen fell into deeper sleep. But he slowed his breathing, conscious of the door to the pen opening, the two forms approaching. It burned him that he had to let them take her, but if either of them sounded an alarm, everything was for naught. They picked Miriam’s unconscious form up and carried her out, oblivious to the deadly shadow that stood up behind them and followed carefully. When they reached the hatch, they shut it and strode off, never realizing that the hatch hadn’t locked. Aos moved to the outside of the pen and shut it. This time it locked. While he burned to help the beings in the pen, he had other duties. But first, he had some justice to administer. And even if he hadn’t, there was simply no way he could leave Miriam to those two scum.

<A few minutes later>

Miriam writhed in her bond and fought as the two scum in front of her hurt her again.

“Come on girl, all you gotta do is scream. You know you want to. Let it out, you will enjoy it. And then we can enjoy you.” The slaver’s voice was almost kind as she applied pressure to the hurt arm. If it hadn’t been broken before, it definitely was now. Miriam bit back a groan and the slaver grinned wider. “That’s it girl… fight… I like it when they fight.”

Miriam was panting from the pain now and her vision as getting fuzzy as the other scum cut off her air again. He would do that for a minute then let up and let her breath. It didn’t hurt badly but it did make it very hard to concentrate. But then another voice came.

“You morons…” Miriam didn’t react. She didn’t know this voice. But it sounded female and older. But both of the scum who had been hurting her froze in place.

“Uh… Doc…Ah…” The female stammered, but a female in a white tunic came into Miriam’s field of view. The newcomer’s face was as cold as space itself and against her will, Miriam shuddered. But her gaze wasn’t on the prisoner, not, her gaze was on the two cringing beings in front of her.

When the medic spoke, it was cold and clear. “I have told you and told you and told you. If you damage the merchandise, we don’t make as much money and the Boss takes it out on us. But you just can’t control your urges, can you?” Now the female looked fearful. But the medic grinned. “Oh, don’t worry…” the female tried to run, but the hiss of a stunner sounded and both collapsed. “You won’t feel a thing…” The sheer malice in the woman’s voice had Miriam whimper before she could stifle it. The medic turned to meet Miriam’s eyes. “Ah well… Let’s get you out of that…”

The medic’s hands were gentle and professional, but no less strong and the droid she summoned was well beyond Miriam’s ability to fight. Truth be told, Miriam didn’t have the energy to fight. The droid lifted her and carried her easily to another room, this one brightly lit. The droid set her down on another table and Miriam tensed, but the woman was standing there and her smile was gentle now.

The woman’s voice was no longer cold, no now she was warm and kind. “I am give you something for the pain, and then I am going to set your arm. Okay? Don’t fight me.”

Truth be told, it was unlikely that Miriam could have. What little energy she had kept seemed to have fled. She managed a shallow nod and the woman nodded back. A quick sting and Miriam was floating. She felt gentle hands on her arm and then a sharp pain had her crying out despite her best efforts then another pain brought tears to her eyes. Her eyes burned, but then she felt a pat on her shoulder. “Good girl. Let me get a cast on this…” Miriam stayed quiet as she felt her arm taken in gentle hands, an odd feeling surrounded her arm and then it froze into immobility. “That’s it, good girl. Now, I need you to stay here and stay quiet, okay?” Miriam managed a nod again, whatever drug was running through her veins had her disinterested. The medic patted her shoulder again and then disappeared from Miriam’s line of sight. Miriam turned her head slowly to see the medic working at another table, muttering to herself.

“Stupid Force be damned fools, damaging the merchandise. I warned them.” Miriam felt all the blood leave her face as she realized where the doctor was working. Waist level on the unconscious form of the woman who had hurt Miriam. “See if she has those urges now…” the doctor turned away from the table and saw Miriam’s eyes on her. The doctor shrugged. “I warned them what would happen if they did it again. See if they feel the same way after being fixed.” Miram felt her guts clench at the sheer malice in the woman’s tone. But the doctor turned to another table and snarled. “Awake are we? Good, I want this to hurt…”

A shriek came from the table and Miriam closed her eyes, trying to get the horrible images out of her head and mind. Eventually, the screams taped off to pained whimpers and Miriam cracked her eyes again. She shuddered as the doctor came over to her table again, her gloved hands slick with gore.

“You will sleep here tonight. I want to make sure there are no complications before we put you back in the pen. Nasty conditions…” the doctor broke off and blanched. “Who are…?” Miriam bit back a scream as the muffled report of a slugthrower sounded and a thump was heard. A hand touched hers and Miriam looked up into the eyes of Aos.

She was shocked into speech. “Who are you?’

"Nobody usually." Aos smiled sadly. “Today I am someone who hates slavers. Are you okay?”

"Drugged." Miriam said as she tried to shake her head and managed, slowly. “Painkiller she said…”

Aos nodded. “Okay. Let’s get you up and we can get out of here…”

<A few minutes later>

Aos was kicking himself. Miriam was weaving badly. He could have left her there on that table, he probably should have left her there. But there was really no way he could have. Not after what happened to his family. He checked his weapons, the slugthrower had an almost full clip and the blaster he had appropriated from a dead guard. He smiled grimly. So many people made such mistakes. When you took a prisoner, it was downright stupid to store whatever they had on their person anywhere near them. He had found his gear, minus his heavy blaster pistol which was probably some slaver’s trophy by now, in a sack in the nearest storage room. Slugthrowers had a number of disadvantages compared to blasters. For one, they had a much smaller number of shots. For another, they had nowhere near the range or power. But slugthrowers had one huge advantage. Another wandering slaver came into view and after checking the area, Aos took aim and fired. This time, Miriam didn’t even wince as the popping sound came and the corpse fell. Silencers were such a wonderful thing. Aos darted forward and pulled the still warm body into a storage locker, riffling the pockets quickly. A few credits, a hold out blaster which Aos took and a wad of deathsticks which Aos discarded.

Miriam was leaning against the wall right where he had left her. “Come on, darling….” He pulled her gently and she fell over. A quick check showed she was still breathing, but her breathing was labored as if… He cursed and checked her eyes. Sure enough, they had rolled up into her skull, showing she had been given a powerful sedative. “Damn…”

Aos thought hard for a long moment. But then he sighed. He didn’t have a choice. He couldn’t carry an unconscious woman with him out of this place. He would have to stash her somewhere and then come back for her. He moved her as gently as he could into the storage locker, rolling the corpse so it would provide some cushioning. Then he shut it on her, hoping it wasn’t airtight, but the vents in the door reassured him. He sighed and then he walked away.

He wasn’t all that great at fighting stand up battles. What he was good at was sneaking into places and persuading people to let him do things. He walked by three sets of guards on his way to the communications room. He strode into the room as if he hadn’t care in the world and after a moment the two techs went back to their work. He walked up to the one with less on her screen.

She looked up and snarled at him. “What you want?”

Aos shrugged. She snarled again and turned back to her console and when she did, he struck. The small blade in his hand penetrated the thin neck covering she wore and into her carotid artery cleanly. She slumped without a sound. The paralytic poison on the blade guaranteed a silent death, the victim literally wouldn’t be able to move a muscle. And in moments the woman’s heart would stop, also paralyzed. Something warned the other tech, there hadn’t been any noise, and he spun to see Aos withdrawing the blade. The tech didn’t waste time crying out or anything else useless, just leapt for the alarm switch but collapsed as Aos shot him. The popping sound was loud in the confined space, but no one investigated. Aos nodded slowly and then moved to the communications console. He keyed in a series of codes and stepped back. Then he emptied the depleted clip of his slugthrower into the com system. It sparked feebly as he reloaded.

He sighed and made his way to the door. This place was going to get very noisy fairly soon. He started off, back towards where he had stashed Miriam, but then he froze as a voice sounded. “As I live and breath. Cole Shanas…”

He turned slowly to see the corridor behind him filled with beings in armor. At their head, the face of the woman who had haunted his nightmares stared at him. He smiled grimly and nodded to her. “Cos Miran. Long time.”

The woman shook her head slowly. “You know, I hadn’t quite believed it when my employers said you had survived. And who you were working for.”

Shanas smiled thinly. “What can I say? The pay is good and there are some very cool fringe benefits.”

Miran shook her head. “You know, I could make space for you in my…” She broke off as Cole snickered. “Something funny?”

“Yeah.” Cole was chortling quietly, but it had an edge of malice to it. “I am assuming your alert went out when someone found the medic.”

“Our pen count came up two short and while those two morons were a known factor damaging the merchandise, having two vanish at once was a bit… odd.” Miran stared at him and Cole nodded slowly.

His voice was mocking and more than one of the armored forms stirred angrily. “Yeah, I knew it was just matter of time until even you idiots figured out that something was wrong.”

Miran shook her head. “He is trying to make us shoot him. And we want him alive. You are worth an awful lot. To the Republic, to a couple of Sith, even to a Hutt or two.”

Cole smiled. No one sane would have called it a friendly smile. “That limits your options here and now. And unfortunately for you… I am under no such compunction. And I want you dead. For what you did to my son.”

Miran was visibly startled by his defiance. “Shanas, look, you have no chance at all. Look at the firepower…” Shanas looked at the other end of the hall and the team that blocked it. He smiled. “Your corpse is worth a lot, but it’s triple for a live delivery. Drop the hardware.”

"Since you ask so nicely..." Shanas looked at the Weequay who held Shanas’ heavy blaster pistol and grinned before turning back to Miran. “No.”

He darted into the scant cover provided by a storage locker as Miran cursed and shouted. “Alive, I want him alive! I want him to hurt!”

He hit a small remote attached to his comlink and smiled as the small thermal charge in the handle of his old pistol went off. As thermal charges went, it was fairly minute. But it was more than enough to completely obliterate the entire team of slavers that had been around the Weequay. The carnage seemed to shock the other slavers and Shanas was in motion.

Two quick flips and grenades flew into the midst of the slavers packing around Miran. Screams sounded but Shanas’ eyes were ice cold as he reached out from his cover and started spraying the area with his borrowed pistol. Another flip and a smoke grenade went off in between the combatants. And when it cleared… He was gone. The remaining slavers stared around wildly and then screamed as one of them fell. A popping noise came from nowhere and they scattered for cover.

A mocking laugh came from... nowhere. “I have learned a lot. From the best, Miran. I can see you, can you see me?” Another pop and another slaver went down screaming, clutching a shattered arm. Another and this one hit the floor silent, a bloody hole between the eyes of the Bothan.

Miran cursed. “Come out and fight, coward!”

Shanas’ voice was cold. “Coward am I? Yeah, I am such a coward. I attack people who can actually fight back. That’s cowardly. I attack people who deserve it. That is cowardly. I make war on people who steal parents from children, who leave kids to starve slowly because there is no profit in taking them.” Another pop and one of the slavers who tried to run made about three steps before falling in a heap and not moving again. “How does it feel, slaver? To be completely overmatched. To know that no matter what you do, you are going to die?”

Miran snarled at the disembodied voice and grabbed for her comlink. She had contingencies. Then she froze as a small metal cylinder landed nearby. It didn’t look like any grenade she had ever seen… She screamed as it hissed and then the world turned black.

Cole Shanas stared at the unconscious body of the woman he hated more than any in the galaxy and he had to force himself not put a round through her head. But he needed information now. So he sighed and secured Miran and the other slavers tightly and left them where they had fallen. They would wake in eight hours or so with a heck of a headache. He had a headache himself, one did not lightly use nerve gas, even low lethality ones. But he had taken the antidote, so he would be fine. He smiled as he heard a recognizable noise, a breaching charge. His backup had arrived. Armored troops poured into the corridors followed by two figures in black. He stood, his weapon pointed down as the troops approached. They had obviously been briefed, he noted sourly, as he saw all had breathers on.

He shook his head. “Epicenter of nerve gas release over there…” he nodded to the canister in the midst of the fallen slavers. “The woman is mine.” His cold words had more than one of the troops flinching but one of the black garbed figures stepped up and he smiled as Ona dropped her hood. The troops ignored them both and started collecting the unconscious bodies.

"Nerve gas..." Ona’s voice was tart. “Cole, what is it with you and overkill?”

Cole just shrugged, but winced as something hurt. Ona sighed and came close. He let her touch him, and there were not many he would let touch him. She cursed and suddenly he felt better. He smiled at the Bothan. “Thanks Ona.”

"Idiot." The black furred being shook her head. “You are crazy, Cole. Utterly, totally, completely crazy.” Cole shrugged again and Ona sighed. Her gaze fell on the unconscious slavers and one in particular. Miran had an expression of horrified surprise on her face. “Do you want us to handle it?” Cole looked at her and Ona shrugged. “You know you would get carried away. You want information, not just her death.”

"Uh..." Cole sighed, but what she said made sense. He was too close to this. He shook his head. “Take her, but I want her when you are done wringing her out.”

"Right." Ona nodded. “She will be alive, awake and lucid when we are done.” She grinned evilly and Cole shared it.

“Thank you.” He sighed again. “Three pens that I saw. All about half full. One was gassed. Oh, yeah, there is a young human female in a storage locker nearby. She has a broken arm and was given something. I am not sure what.” Ona winced.

“And do I want to know why this young human female is in a storage locker?” Her voice held a long suffering note but it was spoiled by the grin on her face, a grin Cole shared. A bunch of slavers dead and a many slaves rescued. A good day. Then Ona had a different look on her face, speculation.

"Ona..." Cole sighed. “Stop trying to match make me. I’m not… I am not ready…”

Ona laid her arm around Cole’s shoulders as they walked. “I know Cole, but… I worry about you. You have more rage in you than anyone I have seen since Shar. You have reason, but…”

Cole sighed and nodded. He looked at each storage locker they passed and then stopped at one. He keyed it open and Ona gasped.

“You didn’t say there was a corpse in there with her, you evil, evil man…” Her voice was teasing as she knelt down beside the girl, checking vitals. Cole just grinned, but remained silent as Ona worked. Finally Ona nodded. “Yeah, a strong sedative, probably to kill the pain of her arm…” the Bothan touched the flexicast and shook her head. “…and keep her docile. Do I want to know what you did with the people who did this to her?” Cole shook his head and Ona nodded. “Good. Lets get her out of there and somewhere a bit more comfortable. The ship won’t be back for eight hours, so… they have a medical unit here I take it?”

"Yeah, but..." Cole winced. “It’s a mess.”

Ona sighed. “Why am I not surprised. Well, you got her here; you can get her to the medical area.” Cole snorted as he picked Miriam slumbering form in careful arms and carried her gently.

<Some time later>

When Miriam woke, she felt good. She didn’t hurt at all, which was odd. Her arm throbbed a bit, but it didn’t hurt. She felt weird, but good. She opened her eyes and screamed. She couldn’t help it; she was back on the table in the medical area. A startled voice came to her ears.

“Whoa… easy there young lady…” Miriam looked to where the voice came from and froze solid at what she saw. The black furred form was bent over a medical scanner, but straightened slowly as Miriam’s gaze fell on it, er… her… Miriam felt all the blood leave her face as she saw the black robes and the lightsaber hanging from the being’s belt. The furred being stood slowly and raised a hand, an empty hand. “It’s okay. No one is going to…”

But Miriam had seen enough. She bit down, hard, on one of her teeth and then slumped back to the table as the capsule inside the tooth cracked and the potent toxin swept through her body. Dimly she heard cursing and felt something take her hand, but it was all far away, distant. And then darkness claimed her.

Cole could only watch in awe as Ona poured power into the girl. Then he shook his head. Ona was weakening… He looked at the scanner and blanched. The readings were ones he knew, a powerful toxin. Why would this girl try and suicide on seeing a healer? He worked the controls, and a droid hovered close. It quickly administered an antidote to the poison. He sighed in relief as the girl’s vitals stabilized, albeit very low and Ona slumped away from her with a groan.

The Bothan’s voice was strained. “That was… weird. I have never had a patient try THAT before. One who wasn’t a prisoner anyway.”

Cole shook his head slowly. “That was a suicide capsule. In case of capture. But why on seeing you? You are a healer.”

Ona sighed. “What am I wearing Cole?”

Cole blinked and then nodded slowly. “She thought you were a Sith.” Common enough even among servants of the Empire. Black robes and lightsaber always equaled Sith.

Ona shook her head. “I could feel her fear the moment she woke. She hid it well. But when she saw me… It was like dam broke. She was scared out of her mind. But not for herself…?” The Bothan blinked trying to make sense of what she had felt. “For her family?”

Cole nodded. “Her family is probably up to something illegal and you know how the Sith react to such things.”

Ona nodded slowly, not convinced. “There was more to it than that. But I need to think on it. She will be out for a while. The poison and antidote both were toxic. Her body will need time to recover.” A tap at the door and both turned to see a trooper standing there.

The trooper spoke in a respectful tone. “Your pardon, Bladeborn, agent Shanas. We have secured the base and are ready to leave.” The trooper motioned to the woman on the table. “Should we process her as well?”

Ona’s face became a mask. “No, she is our problem. There is something odd about her. We will handle her. ” The trooper saluted and left.

Cole looked at Ona. “You are not going to do what I think you are going to do. Are you?”

Ona shrugged. “What can I say? She‘s hurt.”

Cole groaned. “Ona, we have too many people on the ship already.”

Ona snorted. “Then you better find her family. It will take time to go through the records anyway.”

Cole just groaned louder. “Why is it that every time you get these wild hair days… I wind up changing diapers?” Ona slugged him on the arm and then they started preparing the girl for transport.

<Ten hours later>

Cole sat in the small room and tried not to stew. He had known that the Bladeborn would keep him from the interrogation, but basically he had been told to get lost. Mama and Trugoy had been polite, but firm. So he had found himself back here. The girl, Miriam, hadn’t woken yet. Ona was a little worried about it. After all, the toxin that she had tried to kill herself with had been very potent. The antidote to the poison as well had been more than slightly toxic in its own right. He stiffened a bit as the girl stirred slightly. He checked himself quickly, no signs of black anywhere on his person. Just in case. He wasn’t a Sith and didn’t wear robes or carry a lightsaber, but he didn’t want to take any chances with this girl of mystery. The room likewise had been cleaned of anything remotely Sithlike. Not that it had had much to begin with. It was a fairly standard recovery room. Medical monitors, a small basin, a small refresher, and the bed. Nothing else.

“Uh… hello?” Her voice wavered a bit as she tried to move and couldn’t. The bonds that held her were soft and padded, but firm at the same time. This wasn’t even close to the first time that the Bladeborn had dealt with a suicidal being. Her broken arm was secured slightly at wrist, elbow and shoulder to keep it from being strained.

“Hello.” Cole’s voice was quiet, gentle and the girl turned scared eyes to face him. He raised empty hands. “You are in no danger here.”

The girl shook her head slowly. “I…. Who are you?”

“I called myself Fergal Aos, But my name is Cole Shanas.” He watched as the girl thought about that for a moment. Then he tensed as she shook her head again.

“I don’t know you. I…” She tried to move again and winced. Her voice was scared now. “Why am I tied up?”

"We were worried about you."Cole spoke slowly and evenly, trying to keep her calm. “You tried to hurt yourself, Miriam.”

"I...?" Miriam stared at him, her eyes wide. “I what? Miriam… Is that my name? I… I don’t remember.” She tensed and suddenly she was crying. “I don’t remember… Who am I? Why can’t I remember?”

Cole moved to her bedside and after a moment, undid the straps and lifted Miriam up into his arms. He held her as she sobbed. “Shhh… Shhhh… It will be okay Miriam. No one will hurt you.”

"What has happened?" Miriam sobbed into his shoulder. “Why can’t I remember?”

It's okay, girl... It will be okay." Cole stroked her hair. “I don’t know, but I will find out Miriam.”

<An hour later>

The medical bay was quiet barring the hissing and whirring of equipment. They had finally had to resort to a mild sedative to get Miriam to sleep again, and now she was resting on one of the tables while scanners whirred around her. Ona’s face was pensive as she perused the latest scans. Cole sat nearby, his own face a mask.

Finally Ona sighed. When the healer spoke, it was sad and resigned. “A reaction between the sedative the slaver medic gave her and the poison. The sedative suppressed neural tissues and the poison attacked them. Together… Many of the chemical receptors that form memory were wiped clean. The antidote didn’t help matters either. It saved her life, but… I may be able to do something with the Force, but it is highly unlikely she will remember everything. We can retrain her, but…”

"I know." Cole sighed. “She will never be who she was.” Ona nodded sadly. Cole shook his head. “I don’t understand. Why would she react so strongly to seeing you in black? I know Sith are scary, but… Lots of people wear black. Even black robes.”

A throat cleared behind them and they turned to see a grey uniformed being step into the room. Commander Vorren’s face was a mask of indifference. But then again, it always was. His voice was quiet as always. “I can answer that, partly.”

"Oh?" Ona nodded. She wasn’t entirely comfortable with this agent of Imperial Intelligence, but his loyalty was unquestioned. “Go ahead.”

"Right." Vorren walked to where the screen showed Miriam’s sleeping face and sighed. “Miriam Chines died when her family homestead was destroyed in an explosion.” On and Cole both stiffened and Vorren continued. “I had my suspicions at the time. Will doesn’t kill innocents if he can help it.”

"Yeah..." Cole nodded slowly. “The guards said he was there, that a family had died. Her family?”

"Indeed. Father, mother and brother." Vorren nodded. “The recovery crews found four ID tags and enough DNA for four bodies and called the case closed.”

"So...." Cole looked thoughtful. “Her family may still be alive.”

Vorrn looked at him, and a hint of emotion showed through the mask. Worry. “Cole, don’t even think about it. Imperial Intelligence has had suspicions of a Republic cell operating on planet, but they haven’t done anything we can track. Not in decades. We will eventually find them and eradicate them even so.”

"A Resistance cell..." Ona looked worried now. “If they have hidden for this long…”

"Yeah." Vorren nodded. “If they have hidden for this long, then they have done so by being utterly ruthless. What happened to this girl may have been an anti interrogation protocol.”

Ona and Cole looked at each other and then Ona shook her head. “No… None of the markers are there…” She pulled up a scan of the girl’s brain and shook her head. “Unless II and RI have come up with something new, in which case we wouldn’t know. Would we?” Her ironic words actually brought a small smile to the agent’s face.

"No." The agent replied flatly. Vorren looked at the scans and shook his head as well. “As far as I can tell, this is a totally normal reaction between a powerful sedative and a powerful poison. But there is no way to know. I would like to debrief her.”

"Medically, there is no reason for me to say no." Ona shook her head slowly. “If you want to, you are welcome to. But I can tell you, without a shadow of doubt, that most of the chemical receptors dealing with memory, short and long term, have been wiped clean.”

"Indeed?" Vorren looked at her and then at the screen. “Hmmm… A blank slate? That might be useful.”

Ona stared at him. “What?”

"If..." Vorren’s voice was thoughtful. “If she truly can’t remember her loyalties, we can use her to try and ferret out the cell on planet.”

"You... What...?" Cole stiffened and Ona stared from the agent to the smuggler. Cole’s voice was soft. “Let me get this straight. You want to program her as a sleeper agent, to ferret out something that might not even exist. And then you throw her away of course.” His words were calm. But Ona looked worried.

"It's not like that." Vorren shook his head. “We wouldn’t throw her away, we would find a use for…” he broke off as he realized Cole wasn’t listening to him.

"Use her." Cole’s words were quiet. Too quiet. “You want to turn her into a slave.”

Now Ona looked scared. “Vorren, get out of here.” He looked at her and she shook her head. “Now.”

Vorren shook his head. “She wouldn’t be a slave. She would be an …” He broke off as Cole moved. As fast as the agent was, he was totally unprepared for the swift kick that caught him below the belt line. Any being, no matter how well trained, would recoil from being kicked in the genitals. His armor blunted the blow, there was no way it could stop it and he doubled over. When he looked up he froze. Cole’s blaster was poised, the aim point between Vorren’s eyes.

Ona hadn’t moved from her spot, and Vorren wondered about that but then he saw what was in the smuggler’s other hand. He blanched as the thermal detonator ticked.

"Cole, calm down." Ona’s voice was careful. “Cole, he is just doing his job. He is playing the angles. He doesn’t know how you feel and he doesn’t care. It is his job to find and eliminate enemies of the Empire. By any means necessary.”

Vorren prided himself on his control. But he looked up into Cole Shanas’ face and felt fear. Fear the likes of which he hadn’t felt since he had faced Will Kalenath’s blaster. The two men, the soldier and the smuggler, shared one thing in common. Both were death walking. Both hated with every fiber of their being. In Will's case he hated the Sith. In Cole's case... slavers and anything to do with them. Vorrren met the man’s gaze and nodded. He had underestimated the smuggler, that wouldn’t happen again.

Cole bit out words. “You. Leave. Her. Alone.”

"I want to. She has suffered enough." Vorren said quietly.. “Until and unless I am ordered to interrogate her, I will. I am sorry. I didn’t understand.” For a moment, his mask slipped and a tired, heartsick man shone out from behind his armor. But then it was gone. He sighed. “Cole, interrogations do not have to be brutal. Contrary to popular belief, brutality doesn’t help. Gentleness works better. And an interrogation might help her remember things.”

Cole’s face worked but his blaster vanished. “No.” He turned away and stopped.

The small brown form of Trugoy stood in the door, his face impassive. “Vorren is right, Cole. Interrogations don’t have to be brutal. I…” For once, the grandmaster looked, unsure and then his long ears drooped. “I have news.” Cole nodded, his face the impassive mask he habitually wore. “Cos Miran spent the last year and a half looking for your wife and daughter to gain leverage over you. Your wife was sold to a Sith spice mine on Kessel. According to the records Miran found, she died two and half years ago.”

Cole recoiled as if struck and Ona reached out a slow hand to touch his shoulder. His mask remained. “And Juli?” Teh smuggler asked softly.

Trugoy sighed, his face sad now. “The ship that your daughter was being carried to Nal Hutta on was struck by pirates. For a time, to was thought that the Stormhawk had hit them. But it wasn’t. It was a group called H’ran. According to the records Miran found, there were no survivors. I am sorry. I wanted to have better news for you.”

Cole stood still as a statue for along minute. Then a single tear tracked down his face followed by more. He turned away, but Ona was there, she held out her arms and Cole went into her embrace. They cried together, never seeing Vorren and Trugoy leave.

<The next day>

Cole Shanas stood at the edge of a crater and tried not whistle in awe. The devastation was total. He had been told that a single family house, a barn and a small storage shed had been on this land. But now the only thing here was the crater. At least three hundred meters in diameter, it was partly filled with water from recent rains, but it was obvious that whatever had exploded had done so with considerable force. He glanced into the crater and sighed before turning away. Whatever had been in there was gone now. Way gone. He snapped a few pictures on his pictorecorder anyway, partly to stay in cover, he still was Fergal Aos, sort of anyway, and partly to show Miriam in hopes of jogging her memory. Fergal Aos had a reason to be here, he was researching the soils that made the manure so explosive. But Cole had a reason as well. He wanted to see where Miriam had lived, when she had been Miriam. He had ditched the tail that someone, probably Vorren, had sicced on him and come here. But he hadn’t known what to expect. He slumped as he walked and scanned clumps of material. Some of it organic, some of it not. He passed a tail fin that had been blown off of a Sith assault shuttle and smirked a little. Will Kalenath did nothing halfway, nothing at all. But when he returned to his speeder, the door was ajar and a young human was sitting in the cab waiting for him.

Cole sighed as he approached. “Hasn’t anyone ever told you that to take a joyride, you have to go somewhere?” The boy just looked at him and with a start, Cole realized the young man looked like Miriam. Matter of fact, a lot like Miriam. Cole sighed. “This is a very bad idea, whoever you are.”

The boy spoke softly. “Your speeder is clean. I need to know. Is she alive?”

Cole eyed the boy. But then his gaze went to the surrounding area and he tensed as he saw several clumps of bush that hadn’t been there when he landed. He didn’t need to see inside them to know that several blaster rifles covered him. The smuggler sighed. “She tried to suicide. She is alive, but her memory is a mess. And she is unlikely to recover it. Her memory was, in the words of a healer, wiped clean chemically. The poison and something the slavers gave her reacted badly.”

The boy didn’t move. “You work with people who wear black.” It wasn’t a question.

"I do." Cole shrugged. “It’s a living. And I get to kill lots of slavers.” Something in his voice shook the young man, but Cole didn’t move.

“Why?” The boy asked quietly and Cole sighed.

“In the end, who cares about a few dozen humans? In the end, who cares if a few families get wiped out or stolen into slavery? Why should the Empire or the Republic give a flying flarg about the little guys? We don’t matter. We have no power, no voice.” Cole met the boy’s eyes and saw something there. Something that seemed very like the rage that burned in his own veins. But then Cole smiled savagely. “Well, some of us do care. And no matter what, we try and make a difference.” His comlink beeped and the boy tensed but Cole stared at it and blanched. “Get out of here, all of you! My tail is coming and he is bringing friends.”

The boy looked at him. “I have no reason to trust you. 'Fergal Aos'.”

"My name is not Fergal Aos." Cole snarled. “My name is Cole Shanas, I work for the Order of the Bladeborn and there is an Imperial Intelligence team about thirty seconds out, you have to get out of here...” Cole blinked as the bushes around the area simply melted back into the underbrush. But the boy remained where he was. “Go...”

“I want to see my sister.” The boy said simply as he sat back in the seat. Cole stared at him and then snarled.

“Don’t do a force damned thing unless I say, okay?" Cole snapped. "And for goodness sake, keep your mouth shut.”He said quietly as an unmarked airspeeder van appeared in the distance and swooped into land nearby. The boy looked at him and Cole sighed as the van’s doors opened and a heavily armed squad of troops emerged. Leading them...

“Hello Cole, a merry chase you have led us.” Commander Vorren’s eyes roved the area, lighting on the boy before looking around. Cole snarled at him, seemingly oblivious to the multiple blasters that were a hair shy of pointing at him.

“What is it with you people?" Cole demanded, his posture angry. "You are supposed to understand about being sneaky. I try and maintain my cover and you come in all loud. Well, that cover is dust.” If Vorren was discomfited by the smuggler’s ire, it was not apparent.

“I see you found one of our missing persons. Hello Marcus, how is the leg?” Marcus didn’t look at the agent, no his eyes were on Cole.

Cole looked from Marcus to the agent and suddenly the warm air seemed to chill a bit. “You used me as bait.” It wasn’t a question.”

"Of course we did." Vorren smiled. “This is the first break we have gotten into this cell in ten years. You should be proud Cole, you are helping make the Empire a safer...” He broke off as Cole’s hand dipped into a pocket. “Cole...” His tone held warning.

"Wondered about that." Cole said with a smirk. “Tell me something Vorren. How good are your suit seals these days?” He tossed a small object at the agent who cursed and backpedalled. The agents who had been drawing beads on Cole all scattered as the cylinder started hissing. Cole ran to his speeder and jumped in, the boy moving to the other seat. He started the engines. “Strap in, they will figure out that isn’t nerve gas in about...”

Blaster fire started coming towards the speeder and Cole cursed as he hauled it into the air. The boy, Marcus looked a bit green as Cole stood the speeder on its side, trying to avoid fire from the van that was now pursuing them. He danced the small and nimble ship all over the sky avoiding the fire effortlessly. But...

“We don’t have a lot of time." Cole snapped, throwing the speeder across the sky in an erratic evasion pattern. "They have certainly called for backup by now. And this thing can’t outrun a starfighter.”

Marcus spoke softly. “Head north.” Cole didn’t argue, just danced some more with the sparkling bolts of death that flew towards them, and then kicked in the small speeder’s booster. The speeder shot forward like a scalded womp rat and for a moment, no one shot at them. But when Cole looked back, he cursed. Three speeders were chasing him now. Enough to box him in and force him down, which was their probable intention.

Marcus pointed ahead. “There.”

Cole stared at the small ridgeline ahead of him and shrugged. One place was as good as another. But then he grinned. He saw it.

<A klick behind>

“...I know he is evading, that guy can fly, no question. But we have support coming from high orbit. All we have to do is keep him in sight until the fighters get... here...” Vorren’s voice broke off as the speeder ahead dove for the trees and vanished in a titanic fireball. “Aw flarg...”

<A hidden trail>

“Good flying mister.” Marcus’s voice was barely a whisper. And Cole smiled. They didn’t really need to be quiet. The sounding rocket he had fired had brought down the cave mouth nicely. While it had been designed to work in water, the bang had been more than enough to simulate a speeder exploding on impact. And now they were making good time away from where the three airspeeders were hovering, likely trying to find a landing spot.

"You are Marcus, Vorren said your name was?" The boy nodded and Cole sighed. “ I can take you to your sister. It won’t be easy mind you, but I can get you in to see her, after that...” He broke off as the forest around the two walking humans seemed to come to life. Several forms appeared. All were pointing blasters at Cole.

"Don't move mister." Marcus shook his head. “You are going to come with us.” Cole didn’t resist as Marcus took his blaster and vibroblade.

"Well..." Cole sighed. ”When you put it like that, how can I refuse?"

<Quite a bit later>

Cole swam back to consciousness and immediately regretted it. He opened his eyes and was not surprised to find he couldn’t see anything. Probably a hood. Something struck him and a harsh voice came to his ears. “You awake traitor?”

From the voice, probably an Imperial Intelligence goon, and a not quite bright one at that. Cole snorted. “If that is the best you can do, moron? Go back to knocking over convenience stores. If that is the best Imperial Intelligence can teach you to hit…” Another blow came and Cole just laughed. Now the strikes were coming in regularly, but no matter they did to him, it had to be more than one person, he just kept laughing.

Finally after an eternity, maybe five minutes of pain, a loud voice came. “What the? You imbeciles, stop that at once!”

The hood came off and Cole looked up into the eyes of Cipher Vorren. The imperial agent stared at the smuggler and the smuggler just grinned. His nose was broken, both eyes were blackened and he was missing several teeth, but his grin was wide. He looked around. The small room looked like an interrogation cell. Figured.

“Hello, Vorren. Fancy meeting you at an idiot convention.” The smuggler quipped. More than one of the circle of goons surrounding the mismatched pair raised fists, but Vorren snarled and they all backed off.

"You..." Vorren’s voice was hushed, almost awed. “You are crazy. What the hell were you doing?”

"Didn't have much choice." Cole shrugged. “You were going to take the kid. Couldn’t let you.”

"Cole..." Vorren sighed. “There is a Republic cell operating on this planet. We have suspected it for some time. Now we have proof. They had to be protecting Miriam and her family. We will find them and you are going to help us.” At that Cole snorted and Vorren looked at him.

“Am I?” More than one of the goons looked angry again at Cole’s mocking tone, but Vorren just shook his head.

"Cole..." The agent’s voice was soft. “It doesn’t have to be this way, Cole. We are not enemies.”

Cole sighed. “Ah, now the soft approach. Nice. And if I tell you to go jump in a black hole, you start the rough stuff again. Well, I will save you some time, I didn’t see anything. I heard two voices in addition to Marcus. An older male and an older female. I didn’t hear anyone else. It might be that the only place they exist is inside your empty head.”

Vorren actually grinned at the insult. But then he sighed again. “Cole… The trackers that were on you were disabled. That bespeaks resources.”

"Trackers?" Cole just smiled wider. “Oh you mean the one you attached to my cloak and the one in the ration bar? That thing tasted foul. They need to work on that. I disabled those myself.”

"I don't believe you." Vorren slumped. “I can’t believe you.”

Cole just grinned even wider. “I don’t particularly care, Mr. Imperial Bootlicker.” One of the goons drew back a leg to kick but everything stopped when a cold voice came.

“If that kick lands, your leg will land a meter from your body.” Ona pushed her way through the throng and everyone made way for her. Her demeanor was cold and her face… Scary didn’t begin to do it justice. Vorren jerked his head and the goons withdrew. Ona knelt beside Cole and shuddered a bit. “Cole, what the flarg…?”

"Ona..." Vorren sighed. “A patrol found him fifty kilometers out. He was lying right smack dab in the middle of their patrol path. Unconscious. He refuses to tell us anything.”

"Oh?" Ona looked at the ceiling of the room they were in and seemed to be praying for patience. “Did you ask?” Vorren stared at her. “Oh, never mind, you never ask, you just demand, don’t you? That doesn’t work with him…”

Vorren muttered under his breath something that sounded like ‘So I see…’

Ona returned her focus to Cole and shook her head and she gently moved his jaw a bit. “It’s not broken this time. Cole… What happened? We got word you crashed.”

Cole winced a little as Ona probed a sensitive spot, but otherwise could have been made of stone. “Didn’t crash. Small cave. Landed after firing a sounding rocket. Had those to test water density.” Ona frowned as she focused on his injuries and he continued. “Was walking when something hit me from behind. Woke up strapped to a bed, blindfolded. What was I supposed to do, fight?”

"Well..." Vorren said with a snarl. “You could have let us track you.”

Cole made a noise more suited to a rancor than a human as Ona touched something and then he focused on Vorren. “I have a minor problem with people tracking me without my knowledge. Nice way to set me up for a backstab.”

Vorren snarled back. “If you had just listened, none of this…” But Ona had heard enough.

The Bothan’s words were angry now. “Both of you shut up!” Both of the males looked at Ona and all of her visible fur was ruffled. She took a moment to smooth it. “Vorren… Back. Off.

The agent took one look at the Bothan’s eyes and did as ordered. An angry mutter swept the ranks of II operatives, but a glance from Ona had all of them freezing in place. Probably praying that she would look anywhere else. She turned her gaze to Cole, who stiffened.

“Do you want to die today, Cole Shanas?" She asked coldly. Then her voice turned soft and it filled with pain. "They will kill you. They are within their rights to do just that.” Ona’s face was remote though.

Cole shook his head. “I don’t care Ona. Let them. What have I got to live for now…URK!” He broke off as a furry hand clamped around the front of his throat and jerked him to his feet. Ona may have been small, and her mechanical legs may have slowed her a bit, but she was strong. Even without the Force.

The Bothan looked him in the eyes and her voice was cold and menacing. “Is that what you think? That since your wife and daughter are beyond your help that you have nothing left to live for?” She dropped him in a heap. “Fine.” Everything in the room stopped as she drew her sword. She lowered the point until it rested on his exposed adam’s apple and spoke quietly. Tears were falling now, but her sword didn't waver and her words were still cold. “I am sick of putting you back together. I am sick of every single time I put you back together you go out and tear yourself up again. If it isn’t the slavers it’s the Hutts, or the Republic and now Imperial Intelligence. How many times must you try to die, Cole Shanas?”

Vorren stared at the Bothan, shocked out of his mask. Then his gaze fell on Cole and something like sympathy was in his eyes. He motioned and the troops filed out until Vorren was the only other being in the room besides Ona and Cole. For his part Cole met Ona’s eyes impassively, but Ona just sighed. “Choose Cole. Now. Live or die.”

Cole’s head fell until Ona had to withdraw her sword a bit to keep from cutting him accidentally. When he spoke it was quiet. “I don’t know Ona." The smuggler admitted softly. "I just don’t know. What the hell have I got to live for?”

Surprisingly it wasn’t Ona who spoke. It was Vorren. “Cole, I have seen a lot of bad stuff in my life. I have done a lot of bad things. The end always justifies the means, but… Then we have to live with what we do. I have executed criminals, hunted traitors, killed enemies. I have killed innocents, in accomplishing my missions. I regret that. I have allowed the innocent to suffer, because I had to stop worse things from happening. What happened to your family was bad, no question. And if I am ever in a position to kill any of the scum who did it, be sure I will take the shot. But you have a chance now to be something different. To make something different of yourself. To make their deaths mean something other than more death and destruction.”

"I..." Cole stared at the agent for a moment and then met Ona’s eyes. His voice was quiet. “I don’t want to die.”

"I don't believe you." Ona shook her head and raised her sword. “You lie as easy as breathing and you know how to manipulate me.”

Cole slumped. “I want to kill the scum who destroyed my life. I want this burning ache in my gut gone. I want… I want…” Tears stared falling and he collapsed in a heap. “I want to live.”

"Oh Cole..." Ona sheathed her sword and knelt beside the human she called friend and embraced him. “Then live.”

<About thirty minutes later>

It was a very different scene now. Cole sat in a chair, his injuries treated. And Ona sat nearby. Another chair and a table were the only furniture in the room, and there was no one way mirror or anything else, just bare walls. The only Imperial Intelligence person in the room was Vorren and he was sweeping the room with debugging gear. Every so often her would stop and pick up something small, then place it in a sack. Finally, the agent was done and he too, sat down. He nodded to Cole and Ona and set a datarecorder on the table and hit a control.

The agent spoke slowly and carefully. “Data record 518965A01RT, Cipher agent Vorren investigating.” He looked at Cole. ”Can you tell me what happened when you arrived at the former Chines homestead?”

“Yes." Coel replied in an even tone. "I found the crater and nothing else. I performed scans to maintain my cover of an executive sent to investigate the possibility of replicating the mineral density in the soil that allows Averum nerf manure to be so explosive. But I wasn’t looking for that. I was looking for signs of Miriam’s family.”

"And?" Vorren nodded. “Did you find any?”

Cole sighed. “No and yes. I found no signs of anyone around the crater. But when I walked back to my speeder, Marcus Chines was sitting there waiting for me.”

"You recognized him?" One of Vorren’s eyebrows went up and he spoke slowly. “Was the boy armed?”

"I didn't know him, but he resembled Miriam." Cole replied and shook his head, “And the boy was not armed that I could see.”

"And?" Vorren looked Cole over and spoke again. “You knew we were looking for him. Why did you not attempt to take him into custody? You were more than capable of doing so.”

"Not my problem." Cole shrugged. “I had no interest in hurting him. And contrary to some people’s thoughts, I had no interest in dying. I had at least five weapons pointed at me at the time.”

"Five?" Now both of Vorren’s eyebrows went up. “Who?

"No idea. They were good though. I never saw them approach. Camouflaged soldier maybe." Cole shrugged again. “From the look of a couple of the weapons, they were slugthrowers, so maybe a few of the farmers? I don’t know.”

"Okay,..." Vorren nodded. “And then we arrived, and you threw that canister of aerosol deodorant at us.”

"Yes." Cole nodded, but didn’t smile. “It made an effective diversion.”

"Well..." Vorren did smile. “Considering what you did in the slaver base, yes, it did. I thought you were really trying to kill us all.” Cole just remained impassive and Vorren sighed. “Ok, you took off and led us a merry chase while we tried to disable or box you in. Where did you ditch the speeder?”

"You were there." Cole nodded. “The speeder is in a small cave almost directly underneath where the explosion went off. I saw the cave, Marcus fired the sounding rocket and we flew in.”

"Ah..." Vorren stared at the man in disbelief. “You flew into a cave through a landslide?”

"Big bang." Cole said with a shrug. “Most of it went up.”

"You are crazy." Vorren shook his head in disbelief. “What then?”

Cole took a deep breath. “There was no way to get the speeder out. It will take some heavy equipment to dig it out and there really isn’t anywhere to land heavy equipment there, so it’s probably a write off.” Ona groaned and Cole shrugged again. “Tell Trugoy he can take it out of my pay.”

Vorren bit back a chuckle. But then he became businesslike again. “And then?”

“I got suckerpunched…”

<A day or so previous>

Cole woke up sighing. “Every time I turn my back someone takes a swing at me…” He had surrendered his weapons without a fight, and then something had hit him. A harsh laugh came from a male voice.

“You got balls, mister. I will give you that.” Cole opened his eyes and was not surprised to find that something was covering them. He was also not surprised to find his hands were bound and so were his feet. He was kind of surprised he had woken up at all. “What have you done with my girl, Mister… Aos is it? Or Shanas?”

Cole sighed. “Either. Cole Shanas is the name my parents called me so I guess that works a bit better. Fergal Aos is the cover I came here under, looking for the slaver scum.”

The man’s voice was a bit dubious now. “Heard some chatter. Troops said that the slavers got stomped by one guy. Guy who look like you.”

"It was me." Cole shook his head and winced as something hurt. “I took them by surprise. They wanted me alive, I was under no such compunction. It helps not to care whether you live or die.”

“What happened to Miriam?” This from another voice, female and angry.

Cole slumped. “I was taken by the slavers, as I had planned.” Sounds of disbelief came from around but Cole focused on where the two voices had come from. “Miriam was in the pen when I woke up. She had been hurt, her arm. Two of the scum came and took her. For ‘entertainment’.” The word entertainment came out heated and hisses came from around the area. “I followed them, got her out of their clutches. But she had been drugged. Her arm was broken, and someone had set it and splinted it. Maybe they had drugged her for the pain, maybe to have their way with her, I don’t know. I couldn’t carry her out, so I hid her and made my way to continue my plan.”

“And then?” the male voice was harsh still, but a bit calmer.

Cole sighed. “My backup arrived, and they started processing the prisoners for transfer to hospitals. But a friend of mine who is a healer had arrived and treated Miriam. She said that the slavers had given the girl a powerful sedative. She just wanted to make sure Miriam was okay. But when Miriam woke up, she saw my friend’s robes, and crushed a poison tooth.”

The woman’s voice was horrified. “Oh my god, she’s dead? My baby girl’s dead?”

"No." Cole shook his head, even though it started to buzz. “We were in time. For that anyway.”

The male voice started to speak. “Why would she…?” Then it turned hard. “You a Sith.”

Cole sighed. “No and yes.”

Something round and cold pressed up against his head. No imagination was necessary to imagine what it was. The barrel of a blaster. The man’ s voice was close now and cold. “Talk fast, sith scum.”

Cole sighed again. “We didn’t know until she woke up again. We didn’t know. The poison reacted with the sedative in an odd way.” He licked his lips. “It wiped her memory.”

The woman screamed. “You did what to my little girl? You…” Strong hands grabbed him by the throat and squeezed. Cole didn’t fight back, didn’t react at all. Suddenly the hands were pulled from him, tearing skin.

“Get her out of here, boy.” A torrent of verbal abuse colored the air and a hatch slammed, cutting it off. The man’s voice was soft now, but no less cold. “What you mean ‘No and yes’? You either a Sith or you ain’t.”

"I am not a Sith." Cole pursed his lips. When he spoke it was slow and careful. “I work for an Order of warriors who work for the Sith Empire. But they are not followers of the Sith Code. They have their own Code. I don’t have the Force, but I am a reasonable pilot. And I work cheap for them because they saved my life. And because they point me at slavers.” Now his voice held hate.

The man’s voice was quiet. “Who you lose?”

"Wife and daughter." Cole’s voice was low now. “Son they killed. If you are who I think you are, your daughter’s alive.”

The man’s voice was husky now, as if fighting tears. “If what you say true, then she don’t remember being my daughter.”

“But she is alive, Mr. Chines.” Cole sighed deeply. “They will take care of her. I… I don’t know whose fault it is. Hers, mine, the healer’s, I don’t know. But since she was hurt because of our actions, she is our responsibility now. We will take care of her, help her find her way, get her training in whatever she wants.”

"What?" Now the man’s voice was quiet again. “You would do that? For a girl you don’t know?”

"Yeah." Cole nodded, and his head was spinning now. “If you are going to kill me, do it. They will take care of her.”

A hand found his and gave a shake. “I like you Mr. Shanas. You remind me of someone I met a while back. He was also tore up inside. His name was Will. You take care of her. Tell her... Tell her we love her and we think about her. All the time.”

“I will.” Cole promised. “But… if you see her again, stay away from her. Imperial Intelligence wanted her. I told them to leave her alone…”

The man who was probably Jon Chines snorted sadly. “Like they would listen to you.”

Cole smiled, it was not a friendly smile. “No they won’t, but they will listen to the Bladeborn if they have any sense at all.” He slumped back to the bed and was floating now. He thought he heard voices, but none were intelligible.

<The present>

“And then I woke up in your care.” Cole stopped talking.

"So..." Cipher Agent Vorren sighed. “You have no idea where you were, how many people were there, how long you were there or even who the people who talked to you were. Just surmises. Excellent tradecraft, but...”

"No leads." Cole shook his head. “From their reactions, the ones who talked to me were almost certainly Miriam’s mother and father. But… I thought I heard other people at times, but I can’t be sure how many or even if there were. Could have been three or twenty. I don’t know. Heck, it could have been all faked.”

"Dang it!" Vorren shook his head slowly. “I know there is a cell operating on planet. We have had too many shipments go missing around this system. And when we scoured the computers we found datataps. Datataps that used Republic tech and codes. But it doesn’t make any sense. They are not doing anything.”

Ona spoke for the first time. “Waiting?” Vorren stared at her. “What would they accomplish if they started attacking now?”

“Right.” Cole nodded slowly at Vorren's ashen look and continued. “If they attacked openly, they could cause damage. But then the Empire would send a fleet and they would be right back where they started.”

“Man…” Vorren stared from one to the other, his face crestfallen. “If they stay underground, we may never be able to find them.”

"So you stay vigilant.” Ona said softly and then she sighed. “Are we done here?”

"Yeah, we are done." Vorren nodded and turned to Cole. “For what it is worth Cole, I am sorry for the treatment you received.”

"That?" Cole shrugged. “I have had worse.”

Vorren laughed as he shut off his recorder. “I bet you have. You two good to get back to the ship?” They nodded and Vorren sighed. “I have to finish this report and then I will be up as well. I need to follow Istara anyway.”

Cole snickered. “Good luck with that. Oh, and um… Stay out of her way if she is flying…”

Vorren scowled at him. “Thanks.”

The Bladeborn and the smuggler walked out leaving Vorren to stare at the table. Then he hit the recorder again. “Recommend strong Imperial presence within one jump of Averum system. Presence of Republic cell on planet verified. Likelihood of locating said cell next to nil until cell attacks. Damage may be extreme, but planet will remain property of Sith Empire. Vorren Cipher, investigating, end.”

He keyed the recorder off, picked it up and strode from the room. Unseen by him a small, almost invisible wire snaked back into the drain that it had snaked out of when he had finished his bug scans.

Edited by kalenath

<Later that day>

Miriam was awake and sitting up in her bed when Cole knocked on her door. She smiled on seeing him, but her smile held worry. “Hello, Cole.”

Her dark eyes were sad. But her smile was genuine. Her dark hair was cut shorter than usual so that Ona could do scans and such, but Cole didn’t think it detracted from her presence. Of course he was a bit biased, seeing as how he had seen her first covered in filth sitting in a slave pen. Anything would be an improvement. He looked around her room and smiled. Mama Lizard had apparently been through. The stateroom that had been bare walls and floor was now warm and inviting. A wall hanging that depicted a scene of Kanduu grazing hung near the door to the refresher and a rug was on the floor nearby that he thought looked like Wookiee work. The pattern was fairly distinctive. Two pictures, one of a spacescape and the other of an ocean with animals playing, hung on another wall. He shook his head slowly. Any of those things would be worth a lot of credits, but to the Bladeborn, they were just things. Unimportant. Sometimes he just couldn’t figure these beings out.

“How’s the girl today?” Cole’s voice was gentle as he sat in the sole chair near her bed. The room didn’t have a lot in the way of furniture, and that was intentional. They were not sure if Miriam was still suicidal. So it was better to be safe than sorry. And he liked Miriam.

Miriam gave a sad smile. “Better. I think…” She shook her head and indicated a pile of datapads. “Ona brought some books. I don’t understand. If I can’t remember who I am, and what has happened to me, how can I remember how to read or talk?”

“No idea." Cole shrugged and smiled at Miriam. "Ona explained it to me, but her explanation went so far over my head I am still lost in cloud cover.”

"Oh?" Miriam snickered. “Why do I doubt that?” Cole gave her an old fashioned look and Miriam just snickered harder. It was hard to believe that this vibrant girl had been a teary wreck just a day before. Ona and Mama Lizard had done marvels with her.

"Its the truth actually, I am no healer." Cole smiled again. “What are you reading?”

Miriam snorted. “At the moment sappy romances.” Cole cringed dramatically and Miriam smiled. “I… I can almost… I think I liked them before, but I can’t be sure…” Her face changed and Cole hastened to divert her. She was mercurial at times, and who could blame her? Losing one’s memory had to be hard.

“Miriam…” His voice was quiet and she looked at him with glistening eyes. “I found them. I found your folks.” Miriam blinked, her face working. Cole continued slowly. “I am pretty sure that they are working for the Republic. Technically, that makes them the enemies of the people I work for.”

Miriam tensed, but then thought about what he said. “Technically?”

"Yeah." Cole smiled a little. “They are no enemies of mine. I don’t know where they are, what they are doing or even if it was them. But I told them about you. They know you are unlikely to ever be able to see them again. So they sent their love.”

Miriam stiffened and then the dam broke and she was crying. Cole stood up, moved to the bed and sat down beside her. He took her in his arms, careful to avoid the IV tubes and the medical sensors and held her as she sobbed.

<A couple of hours later>

Cole watched through the transparisteel viewing window as Ona worked. He knew better than to interrupt healers, especially this one. A throat cleared behind him and Cole turned. He didn’t react on seeing the dark haired human standing behind him. He just shrugged.

“Sneaking up on me is a bad idea, Jon.” The second half of the Bladehome’s medical personnel nodded. He had become a lot less annoying ever since he and Ona had, well… What happened on the ship stayed on the ship. Cole nodded again. “What do you need?”

“Trugoy said you were needed in Detention Two.” Jon shrugged as Cole looked at him. “That is all he said. He wanted me as well. He said I should find you and bring you.” Jon looked through the window and sighed. “She will be out at least an hour while Ona tries to make the neurons fire in sequence again. Maybe she can. But even if she can, the memories are still gone.”

"I know." Cole nodded. “Let’s go, don’t want to keep the Grandmaster waiting.”

Jon shuddered. “Heck no.” The mismatched pair, one in a dirty mechanic’s coverall and the other in a dark gray medical tunic started off. It was odd, Cole reflected. He had detested Jon almost from the minute they had met, but now, now he was actually starting to like the man. Most of the time anyway…

<Detention bay two, five minutes later>

Cole and Jon entered the detention bay and nodded to the Bladeborn on duty who waved them towards a cell. Cole opened the door and froze in mid stride. His voice exploded from his throat when he found his tongue. “You idiot boy…”

“Cole, Jon.” Grandmaster Trugoy’s long ears arced to Cole and the small brown form let out a sigh. “You know him then.”

He turned back to the other being in the cell and Cole sighed deeply. The full attention of Cole and the two Bladeborn was on the young man who was stretched out on a restraint frame.

The dark haired human on the rack looked scared and who could blame him? Surrounded by horrific looking and smelling equipment. Strapped to a painful device of Sith origin and now scrutinized by an odd looking creature in black. Trugoy, Grandmaster of the Bladeborn, at first didn’t seem one to inspire awe and fear. He was short, barely the height of a human child. His three fingered hands and three toed feet seemed to inspire more comedy than fear. His wrinkled skull and long ears might have been comical in anyone else. But there was something about him, something that spoke of sheer power and violence barely repressed. Anyone who had ever seen him fight knew he was one of the most lethal combatants in existence. Size truly didn’t matter. Not when speed and viciousness were present, which Trugoy had in spades. And his large blue eyes were cold and hard now.

"Yeah." Cole said soberly as he nodded. “I know him. Grandmaster Trugoy, meet Marcus Chines. Marcus, this is Grandmaster Trugoy of the Bladeborn. Talk straight and fast or they will throw you out the airlock in pieces. Small pieces.” That was not a euphemism. Not here. Not now. Marcus met Cole’s eyes and defiance shone from them.

“Where is she?” The boy’s voice was even and against his will, Cole was impressed. Even here and now, totally in the power of powerful and usually merciless beings, this kid had the guts to stand up straight. That was rare. Of course he also didn’t have a lot of sense.

“Idiot…” Cole repeated. He looked to Trugoy who met his gaze impassive. “I am assuming you have checked him.”

“We did.” Trugoy said impassively. “No bombs, no bugs, and the poison tooth is gone.” Marcus’ eyes went wide at that and his brave facade cracked, just a bit. Trugoy didn’t seem to notice. But very little escaped that being’s notice. “Jon…?”

The medic stepped forward and swept a scanner over the boy, who flinched, but relaxed a bit as nothing happened. Jon perused his scanner and nodded. “Minor concussion, and…” He stared at his readings. “He is showing signs of vacuum exposure. Where the heck was he?”

"What the...? Vacuum?" Cole answered slowly. “He had to stow away on the shuttle Ona and I took. It’s the only one that has been up today. But… Oh you moron…” Trugoy and Jon looked at him and Cole just groaned. “He must have gimmicked the security system in a landing gear well. That is the only place that is not scanned regularly. He must have had an airpack to breathe, and a hold tight to keep from falling out when the gear lowered. It can be done. Just not easily by someone my size. Who found him?”

"The reaction team did." Trugoy sighed. “The guard in the hangar bay heard something odd, but sent for backup instead of checking themselves. The search team found him hiding in the pile of spare parts.”

"The expensive ones?" Cole demanded. Trugoy nodded and Cole snarled. “If you broke any of those I will have it out of your hide.” Marcus met his eyes and Cole was near tears. “Why? I told you she was alive.”

Marcus’s words were low, but clear. “She is my sister.”

Cole looked at Trugoy but the Grandmaster just shrugged. Cole spoke again softly. “And what good do you do her if you get yourself killed? Or caught by Imperial intelligence? You know they will wring you out, and whatever is left might make a good doormat someday. They will use whatever they learn from you to find your parents. They will find them and kill them as well as everyone with them.” Marcus’ brave front collapsed and naked fear shone from his eyes. “Finally, you understand, you idiot boy.”

"I..." Marcus stared at him and the realization of what he had done dawned. His face worked. “She is my sister. I had to see her. Let me see her, please?"”

Trugoy nodded to Cole and Jon and left the room. Cole slumped. “I can’t Marcus. This is the only secure place on this ship. No wonder Trugoy moved you in here. Is Vorren back yet?” This to Jon who shook his head and Cole nodded. “Well, thank goodness for that. If he had seen you all hell would have broken loose.”

Marcus shook what little of his head he could. “What are you going to…” He broke off as Cole drew his blaster. “What…?”

"Idiot boy..." Cole’s voice was sad. “You leave me no choice. If Commander Vorren of Imperial Intelligence finds out you are aboard, all hell will break loose. You and your sister will wind up in their tender care, spilling what guts she has left and what brains you have for their perusal. I promised your parents I would take care of your sister. I gave them my word, Marcus. I will protect her from everything I can. Even idiot brothers. Close your eyes boy, it will be quick.” He shook his head and raised the blaster, but he stopped as Jon laid a hand on his gun arm

“There is another alternative, Cole…”

<Eight hours later>

Vorren paused at the entrance to the medical area and winced at what he saw through the viewing window. Ona and Jon were working feverishly on a broken body. He turned to where Cole was sitting watching Miriam sleep and spoke quietly. “What happened?”

“I didn’t bury that airspeeder deep enough.” Cole said with a sigh. Vorren stared at him and Cole shrugged. “Couple of local boys found it, dug it out and went joyriding.”

"Aw no..." Vorren winced. “Let me guess… Alcohol involved?” Cole nodded and Vorren sighed. “Idiots…”

"Yep..." Cole nodded with a frown. “You said it. He…” the smuggler waved towards the operating theater where Ona was shaking her head as she worked. “…is the lucky one. When they… hit… His seat came loose and landed intact. The searchers were still finding pieces of the other one when we medevaced him. Scattered over half a kilometer with the rest of the speeder.”

"Yuck..." Vorren winced. He had seen worse, but it never got easy. He shook his head. “Why is he here then?”

"We were close, just coming over the horizon in orbit." Cole shrugged. “We have the best medical care available in fifteen lights in any direction, and Ona wouldn’t take no for an answer.”

"Ah?" Vorren snorted and then sighed. “No, she wouldn’t would she? How is Miriam?”

"Miriam?" Cole shook his head and continued sadly. “The same. Man though, that girl learns fast. She’s a bright kid. Talented as well as pretty.” Vorren grinned at him and Cole snarled. “Get that look off your face. She is too young for me.”

"Cole..." The imperial agent laughed softly. “In most cultures, she would have had her first kid by now Cole, you could do a lot worse.”

"Just don't..." Cole shook his head. “I have enough problems with Ona matchmaking me. Get out of here…”

Vorren was laughing softly as he left the bay. Cole looked after him for a moment and then turned back to look at Miriam with a surprisingly tender look on his face. But then he shook his head.

Not a chance…

<An hour later>

Cole tensed from his position on the couch in the small waiting area as Ona came out of the surgical suite and sighed. Her voice was flat as she moved to the washing station to scrub the residue of surgery off her body. “He is stable. I need to talk to you. Both of you…” Jon followed her out and Cole just looked at her.

"Ona..." Cole said with a sigh. “It’s done, the reports have been filed. The judiciary of the area is kind of steamed. They were talking about indenturing him for life. I uh… I got a bit vocal about that.”

"I bet." Ona stared at Cole and then started stripping her filthy gloves off. As she walked into the cleaning station which in the small medical bay was only four steps away, she snarled tiredly. “Well, I hope you came up with something. Because indenture is only one step removed from slavery and after all the work I have done putting him back together, I won’t let you toss him out the airlock to keep him from becoming a slave.” No joke. Cole had done just that in the past. He always said it was a quicker and cleaner death. She stepped to the recycler, dropped her gloves in and started scrubbing her hands under the water jet. Her voice became hard now. “Now… Who is going to explain?”

"Ona?" Cole asked, unsure. He was trying very hard to keep his emotions and face serene. Jon busied himself with cleaning up his mess and Cole stared at her. “Explain what?”

"Cole..." Ona said with a sigh. “His injuries are not consistent with being a wreck. Even the one we saw, Cole.” She fixed Cole in her glare and he winced. “Start talking.” Cole slumped and remained silent but Ona strode up to him in the small room and stood where he had to see her. “Cole… Don’t make me go get Mama…”

“No need.” The cold voice from the hatch had every thing in the small medical bay stopping. Jon froze in mid wash motion. Ona turned slightly to see the Barabel standing in the doorway looking annoyed. Cole just sighed. Mama strode in and spoke softly. “We have a camera malfunction in medical at the moment, the droidsss are chasssing an electrical fault. We have ten minutesss. Cole…?” Her voice was low and dangerous.

"Ah... I knew this was getting too complicated." Cole spoke softly but clearly. “His name is Marcus Chines. He stowed away in our shuttle somehow Ona. He was trying to rescue his sister.” The Bothan’s face held a horrified look now.

“So the wreck…” The Bothan started but then looked to where the boy was sleeping now and shook her head. “Was it faked?”

"No." Cole shook his head. “It happened and it was really my speeder. I ran it on remote. He was in it. Along with a male John Doe corpse from one of the local morgues.”

It was a tossup who looked more horrified now. Ona or Mama. Mama found her tongue first. “You… You intentionally crassshed an airssspeeder with thisss boy in it?”

"Yes, to keep Imperial Intelligence from catching him." Cole explained. “He isn’t a boy, Mama, he is nineteen and has been doing a man’s work since he was about twelve. And he wasn’t conscious. We gave him enough synthale to knock out a Ronto. We couldn't sedate him, it would have been easily detectable.”

"You..." Ona’s face was a study. “You got him drunk, strapped him into an airspeeder and crashed it hard enough that it disintegrated? His seat came out first… You planned that…?” Cole nodded. “He hit the trees Cole, you couldn't have planned that…”

"No." Cole sadi sadly as he shook his head. “We didn’t. He was supposed to hit the clear patch, but that nerf had to jump in the way. After all that, I thought he was dead, Ona.”

"Oh..." Ona looked stunned. “That was why you didn’t want to land. You thought you had killed him.” Cole nodded and Ona sighed. She turned a fulminating glance to Jon, who wisely remained silent. “I assume you were in on this?”

"Ona..." Cole spoke quickly. “It was that or let Vorren have him. Marcus was just trying to help his sister. What would you have done, if it had been a brother of yours?”

"Ah..." Ona groaned and then sighed before speaking in an almost normal tone. “Same thing, maybe. So… now what?”

“I didn’t intend this, but this may be for the best." Cole said slowly. "He can’t go back or the people who owned that nerf herd, what is left of it anyway, will grab him and indenture him for life. I can’t let that happen. This is my mistake.”

Mama shook her huge head. “Whossse idea wasss thisss anyway?”

“Mine Mama." Jon admitted. Cole flashed an irate look at him, but Jon just shrugged. "It was that or shoot him. And no matter his age, he is just a kid. A dumb one, but just a kid.”

"I sssee." The Barabel looked at him and then slumped. Bad choice or worse choice. Some choice. She shook her head. “Well, then, we have another guezt. Prognosssiz, Ona?”

"I don't like this, but... Okay..." Ona said dubiously, then resumed her professional mien. “The arm and leg fractures are clean and set. The ribs… We stabilized them and we can do various things to help. We caught the internal injuries quickly enough, there should be no complications with those. The face? I… I don’t know. Between the burns and the fact that he must have hit something while in freefall… I just don’t know.”

Mama sighed just as deeply. “That may be for the bessst. If Vorren knew thiz boy by sssight… Having a different look might be an azzet.” Mama growled. “For now, he isss our guezt and a patient of yoursss, Ona. But he iz your resssponzibility Cole.”

Cole nodded and with a quick nod, Mama left the medical area. Jon patted Cole on the shoulder before leaving and Ona just stared at him, her face impassive.

"You could have told me." The Bothan's voice was soft now. "I would have helped."

"Healer, its okay..." Cole smiled sadly. "Ona, no offense, but you don't lie well enough. And Vorren couldn't suspect."

"Cole..." Ona shook her head slowly. "You... are still insane. But I will help you as I can."

Cole smiled. "Thanks."

<two days later>

Miriam was quickly becoming a handful. Cole was not normally a patient person, but he was trying. “Miriam, listen. This is a spacecraft, you cannot just run around anywhere you want to. This ship is dangerous. Exposed wiring, hot pipes, exhausts, doors that can close with no warning whatsoever and will not stop if something meaty is in the way.” Cole shook his head. This girl…

Miriam lay in her bed and was obviously trying not to cry. And Cole didn’t blame her. He had been dumbfounded to find her sitting near an exhaust manifold. She had said it was warmer. He shuddered just a bit. It definitely was. If the pressure release had gone off, the superheated steam that ran through that manifold likely would have cut her in half. He had been less than polite in his worry. Cole sighed and sat on the edge of her bed. He glanced around her room, smiling again slightly at the small homey touches that Mama liked to add. Now that he hadn’t expected, for Miriam to take to Mama. The first time HE had seen the Barabel, he had been sure he was about to die. But he had learned differently. And Mama had a thing for hurt children. She saw enough of them. And while Miriam was a bit older than most, she was by no means the oldest foundling that the Bladeborn had taken in. Neither was Cole come to think of it. Cole sighed and slumped. “I need to get you some other things to read. Maybe some safety manuals, I know I have a few around somewhere.”

Everyone on the ship who had met Miriam was astounded at how the girl simply seemed to inhale books. It was like she simply absorbed the information straight into her brain. She could read faster than most people could talk. She left Cole foundering in her dust. Of course she was learning as much as she could, so the Bladeborn provided her with as many books as she wanted. Some things were off limits of course and Miriam understood that. She learned fast and had no malice in her at all. But… She smiled at him tentatively and Cole smiled back.

“I was actually looking for you today with a good reason.” Cole saui gently. "I am glad I found you quickly."

Miriam looked at him and her face froze. “He is awake?” Cole nodded. It had taken some time for Marcus to wake up from his injuries, and even then Ona didn’t want him straining himself. He had spent a large portion of the last two days in one of the ship’s Kolto tanks. Miriam shook her head slowly. “I…” Cole just sat and waited. Miriam slumped. “I don’t know how I feel. I don’t remember him. I… You showed me what he looked like… before…” Cole nodded. He had pulled up Imperial records of her family to try and jog some of her memory, but she hadn’t been helped.

“Miriam…” Cole’s voice was soft. “He can’t stay here. If Imperial Intelligence finds him here…”

Miriam shivered. She remembered the man in gray. While Vorren had been remarkably kind to her, his interrogation had shaken her thoroughly. Vorren had been ordered to interrogate her, and he had. With Cole and Mama Lizard sitting in to make sure no harm came to Miriam. It hadn’t been bad, Cole reflected. Vorren was very good at what he did, Cole had to admit grudgingly. He had been gentle, kind and very thorough. But the girl hadn’t known anything and Vorren had gone away empty handed. But the agent apparently hadn’t truly minded. Cole mused over what Vorren had said.

“Better me, who actually cares and knows what he is doing, than some ham handed slob of a tech just out of training. I have seen way too many mistakes made in interrogations. I won’t hurt her further.”

And he hadn’t. The drugs he had used had been gentle ones, calming agents as opposed to truth serums, and his questioning had been professional and kind. Cole supposed he was never going to actually like the agent, but he had to respect the man.

After Vorren had been done with the interrogation though, he had done something odd. After he had administered an antidote for the drugs he had given her, he had put something on the pillow of Miriam’s bed, patted her hand and left without a further word. On examination, what he had left was a small stuffed animal. A Nexu of all things. No surveillance equipment, no tracers, no nothing. Just plush and stuffing. Miriam had immediately loved it. She slept with it and it seemed to bring her comfort. Cole shook his head. He had to stop being surprised at what that man did. Every time he thought he had Vorren figured out, the man did something really odd.

Miriam shook her head slowly. As always the Nexu, that she had named Clyde of all things, was in her arms. Cole had been worried at first that it might have had some kind of drug on it, but no scans had showed anything. It was just a stuffed cat. Miriam sighed.

“I suppose…" She said slowly. "I should… he is kin, isn’t he?”

"Yes." Cole said with a sad nod. “He is. But… He can’t ever go home.” Miriam nodded. Not only had Marcus infiltrated a Sith battlecruiser, but he had hidden from Imperial Intelligence. And technically, he was an enemy agent, sort of anyway…

"Yeah." Miriam’s face was sad. “Neither can I.”

"I know." Cole slumped dejected. “I am sorry Miriam.” But Miriam’s face became stern.

"And you call me and Marcus idiots?" Her voice was tart now. “How many times do I have to tell you? Ona and Mama explained it to me. If anyone is at fault, I am. It was my poison capsule that did this to me. So it was my fault. Stop blaming yourself.” She scowled at him.

Cole had to grin at that. “Yes, Ma’am.” He really thought she was cute when she scowled. She grinned back and sat up. He waited until she was standing before offering his arm in an old fashioned gesture which had her giggling. She put her arm in his and they walked away.

<A few minutes later>

Cole had been unobtrusively supporting Miriam as she walked. The girl was still very weak, but growing stronger by the day. Ona’s regime of moderated exercise and strict diet had pulled more than one shaky kid out of their shell and put them firmly on the road to recovery. Even if the Bothan did have all the give of a rock at times. He smiled as Ona appeared in front of them.

Ona’s voice was calm as she took Miriam’s other hand to guide the girl through the door of the medical ward. “Miriam, you have to be brave now. For him. He needs support. He needs understanding.”

Miriam was weaving a bit, but standing on her own and Cole allowed her to cling. He could feel her trembling. Ona let the girl pick her own pace as the Bothan led Cole and Miriam towards the private rooms. Jon looked up from where he was working and gave all of them a sad smile before returning to his scanners. Miriam’s eyes were fixed on the only closed door ahead. All five of the others were open, signifying that the rooms were empty. Ona laid a gentle hand on the girl’s shoulder and Cole assisted her stumbling steps. And then they were at the door.

Ona opened the door and Miriam squared her shoulders before walking in. Cole couldn’t restrain a wince at the sight that greeted them. Marcus was laid out on the bed, and very little of his body was not covered by medical gear or bandages. Marcus’ voice was low and filled with pain that even strong painkillers couldn’t dull completely. “Miriam?” His voice was worried, scared even and how could anyone blame him?

“I…” Miriam looked at the hurt form and her mouth dropped open, but she didn’t cry. She nodded to Cole and Ona and moved slowly to the bedside. “I am here… Marcus…” Her voice was hesitant, but clear.

“Miriam…” The boy’s dull eyes lit on her and he probably would have nodded, except the medical gear he was attached to wouldn't allow it. “Are you…? How are you?”

"I am... dealing with it." Miriam sat in the sole chair beside the bed and took his only free hand in hers. The grip was gentle, but Marcus winced a little. “I… I don’t know. I don’t remember you. Cole says you are my brother.”

Marcus sighed deeply, and the sheet over his chest rose a bit. Then a shudder ran across his body and Ona came forward. Her voice was worried when she spoke. “Marcus… You are going in the tank again in twenty minutes. I need to start prepping." Marcus met the medic’s eyes and then slumped.

"Thank you, healer Ona." The hurt boy’s eyes turned to Miriam. “You okay?”

"Okay is such a...flexible word." Mariam said with a shrug. “One day at a time. Like you.”

"Yeah." Marcus sighed. “I understand.” His eyes moved to Ona now. “What happens now?”

"We are not sure." Ona said and grinned sourly as she approached the bed. “I understand that is under discussion…”

"It's okay, Miriam." Cole said softly and Miriam looked at him, but relaxed when he smiled. “No matter what, we are not going to toss him out an airlock. Come on Miriam, you don’t want to watch this…”

Miriam shook her head stubbornly. But Marcus’ voice was stronger now. “Miriam, go, please? Don’t… Don’t look… You are tough, but there are limits…” The pain was stronger in his voice and Miriam’s eyes glistened. She nodded jerkily and then stood. But her legs wouldn’t hold her and Cole caught her as she fell. Marcus’ voice was scared again. “Miriam?”

Cole hastened to reassure him. “She is unconscious. Sleeping. She is still weak. But she had to come. Wouldn’t take no for an answer. Typical female.” Ona glared at him, but it was mocking, not serious.

Marcus laughed, and it was bubbly. Ona looked worried, but after scanning her monitors sighed and waited for him to speak. “She has always been that way." Marcus said with another laugh." Don’t get between her and something she wants Mr. Shanas. You will get hurt.”

"I will remember that. "Cole smiled a bit as he hefted Miriam’s unconscious form. “Rest well, Marcus.” With that, he turned and left the room, carrying Miriam easily.

<Several days later>

Cole stood beside Miram’s chair as she sat and listened. Trugoy was kind and gentle with her, but, also adamant. Miriam’s eyes focused on the short brown skinned being.

Trugoy’s voice held sorrow, but no give at all. “He cannot stay aboard, Miriam. You are a special case. With your… impairment…” He stopped talking as Miriam raised a hand. She was a remarkably polite girl, especially for a sixteen year old. “Yes?”

Miriam took a moment to compose herself before she spoke. This meeting had been hard for her. But she understood, sort of anyway, what was happening. She wasn’t entirely clear on why she had tried to poison herself or why Marcus was counted as an enemy, but she did understand that she had lost her memory due to her own actions. And that Marcus was in deep trouble because of his own. When she spoke, her voice was quiet, but carried easily. “I understand that. You cannot have him aboard. And I understand you cannot send him home, because of the people who want to throw him in prison.” Cole winced and Miriam glared at him.

They had… discussed… Cole’s choice of tactics to keep from having to kill Marcus or turn him over to Imperial Intelligence. It had been a fairly loud discussion, but Miriam did understand now. She shook her head slightly at Cole and focused on Trugoy again. “I apologize for my inattention Grandmaster Trugoy.”

Trugoy snorted. “You are not one of my students, Miriam. You are a guest, so that cuts you some slack. But don’t let it happen again, young lady. Cute you may be, but there are limits.” The severe tone was utterly spoiled by the twinkle in his eyes.

Miriam bit back a laugh and nodded, regaining her composure. “I understand that you want him off the ship, but where can you send him? I thank you for not selling him into a life of indenture or slavery…” More than one of the Bladeborn in the room snorted at that. They were in the large assembly hall and Miriam had been surprised to find about two dozen of the Bladeborn there when she had gone to talk to Trugoy. And they had even brought a chair for her and Mama had brought a large cushion so the Barabel could sit beside Miriam. But instead of being intimidated by all this, their presence had bouyed her up, given her support. She knew most of them now, and liked many of them. They were scary, no question, but also kind in their own way.

Mama, who sat down beside her to lend moral support leaned close and whispered conspiratorially. Somehow that whisper carried throughout the room. “If we did, Cole would ssshoot uz.”

At that, a snicker ran around the room. Cole just stood impassive but Miriam was sure she saw the faint hint of a smile on his face. She nodded. She knew how Cole felt about slavers and why. Slavery… wait a moment… Miriam turned back to Trugoy. “I thank you all for the reading material you have given me. One of the magazines had an article in it about a Hutt that hated slavery? What was her name… Sanna, Hanna?” She shook her head slowly, and when she looked up she was stunned to see Trugoy staring at her. The Grandmaster was obviously surprised.

Trugoy looked thoughtful. “Her name is Cranna.” He thought hard for a moment. “Mama? Cole?”

Miriam looked at Cole who flinched visibly and remained silent, so she turned to Mama who looked thoughtful. “Cranna would take him in, certainly. Ssshe would probably take you in asss…” Mama broke off as Miriam flinched.

“No… No please…” The girl’s voice was almost panicked now. “Please don’t send me away… I…” Despite her best efforts, tears started. Mama sighed and laid a gentle arm over Miriam’s shoulders and the girl leaned into the embrace gratefully.

Mama’s voice was the gentle tone she used for scared kids. To promote calm in them and in herself. “Miriam… Thisss ssship isss not a sssafe place. We have been trying to find a sssafe place for the civiliansss aboard. I hadn’t thought to asssk Cranna, we… have a hissstory, ssshe and I.”

Miriam was sobbing now and Trugoy spoke gently. “We are not going to just toss you out on your ear, Miriam. Be at peace, child.” Miriam nodded and calmed herself slowly.

Mama gave the girl a gentle squeeze now. “You are good with the kidsss, Miriam. But… thisss isss a warssship of the Sssith Empire. We can go into battle at any time. But children have no place in battle. And what would you in a battle?”

Miriam met the Barabel’s gaze defiantly. “Whatever you told me to.” Mama actually laughed at that and the same laugh circled the room.

Trugoy was snickering. “Ah, Miriam… You still need recovery time. But we will look into talking to Cranna. You will remain for now. That may change at a moment’s notice.”

Miriam nodded. “Thank you Grandmaster.”

At that, Trugoy laughed. “Don’t thank me, I should be thanking you." Trugoy laughed and spoke again, kindly. "Your help with the diaper brigade has been invaluable.”

Miriam had to smile at that. She had been utterly shocked to find so many small children on the Bladehome. Cole had taken her a few days before to meet them and the kids, after the initial worry and fear, had taken to Miriam and she had taken to them. So young to have seen so much and endured so much, many of their stories had left her weeping. But they were alive and the Bladeborn were taking care of them as best they could. And the ones in charge of the kids had welcomed her with open arms. With almost forty diapers needing to be changed regularly… It got old fast. But Miriam didn’t mind. For some reason the disgusting parts didn’t bother her at all. She didn’t remember being a nerf farmer, but apparently her body did… She shuddered a bit, and then she was shivering. Mama’s arm tightened on her shoulders.

“Cole…” Mama’s voice was worried and Miriam looked up to see him standing beside her, a look of worry on his face. Miriam tried, but she couldn’t stop shivering.

“S…Sorry…” Miriam managed to choke out. Something touched her arm and she felt warmth flow through her. She looked up into Trugoy’s eyes.

The Grandmaster’s voice was kind. “Not your fault. I shouldn’t have tired you out. Sleep child…” Waves of lassitude swept through her and she didn’t fight as they pulled her under. Was someone singing to her? She fell asleep before she could ask Cole what he was singing.

<Some time later>

“…and this is very important, Marcus.” Cole said slowly. “Be polite to her. Cranna doesn’t like me. We have had some run-ins over the years. I thought she was just another Hutt and treated her as such. She isn’t. She hates the Hutts.” Cole focused on his instruments, not that there was much to do with the small transport in hyperspace.

Marcus leaned back in his chair, his face a mask of pain. He had taken the pain killers that Ona had given him, but she had weaned him off the strong ones. She hadn’t wanted to addict him to the things after all. But even with two dips in Kolto, the boy was still a mess. His face was a mask of bandages, and his clothing hid splints and other bandages. Marcus sighed, wincing slightly as sore muscles protested. “Why did she want me to come?”

Cole shook his head and he looked around the compartment that had been home to the two of them for the last twelve hours. “No idea. She just said to show up there, at thus and such time and bring you. That is all.”

Marcus shook his head. “Why would she be so… I dunno… secretive?”

Cole shook his head slowly. “Cranna has a lot of enemies. Especially now. Some idiot punk Hutt named Magga seems to have taken an interest in starting a war with her. All I can say is this: Good luck to him. He will need it. She has survived wars with the Sith, the Republic and a whole bunch of assorted scum. She is sneaky, underhanded and utterly merciless. She has destroyed empires all by herself. I know for a fact that she barbecued and ate a competitor once.” Marcus looked sick at that, But Cole just sighed. “You need to know. She is probably one of the hardest beings in the galaxy at the moment, even Sith Lords step carefully around her. But she is also loyal to her people. You work for her, and you have her total support. You betray her and you better pray you die in the process. So… don’t.”

Marcus nodded. But then he spoke softly. “What did you do? To get on her bad side?”

Cole was a long time in responding. When he finally did, it was quiet. “I am not a nice person, Marcus. And when slavers are involved, I get less nice. I was on a ship called the Gem of Yavin when slavers attacked it. I think they were after me, but I am not sure. Not everything in the galaxy revolves around me after all. I fought my way through them. Stand up fights are dumb. I find a good spot with cover and snipe at enemies. And I stay in cover until they get close, and then I disappear and find another spot to attack from. My tactics annoy them.” Marcus smiled a bit at the smuggler’s words, but then Cole frowned. “These slavers were odd, they wanted me, but they were taking others too. I didn’t care. They were enemies. I did what I always do to slavers, I killed them. After awhile most of them were dead. Two of them had holed up in a room with hostages. They had the area mined, I couldn’t get close, so I hacked their mines from a distance, set them off and they burned.”

Marcus looked at the smuggler. “And the hostages?” Cole shook his head. “How could you…?’

Cole’s voice was quiet. “If I had let the slavers go, those people were dead. Or would have prayed for death. I have seen what slavers do to their ‘merchandise’ far too often. I wasn’t about to let them go. They didn’t suffer, it was over in a flash, literally.” Marcus gagged a bit but Cole just shrugged. “One of the hostages had been working for Cranna. That Hutt truly does know how to hold a grudge.”

Marcus stared at Cole for a long minute before looking away. Cole focused on his instruments. When the smuggler spoke again, it was quiet. “We are a bit two minutes out, better strap in, just in case…” The smuggler put words to action, securing himself. Hyperspace reversions were not always gentle or easy. Marcus fumbled a bit himself, but since he had never used a five point restraint system, a bit of fumbling was expected. Cole watched his instruments as the timer ticked down. But … Thirty seconds before it was supposed to go, the ship shuddered and the blue tunnel of hyperspace vanished. Lines became stars that became fixed in the blackness as Cole cursed and his hands flew over the controls.

Marcus spoke up softly. “What happened?”

Cole snarled. “We ran into someone’s interdictor field. There isn’t supposed to be anyone here for another…” He broke off as his short range sensors lit up. “Aw frak…”

Marcus looked at him. “I am assuming that is not a good expletive…”

Cole shook his head and keyed the com live and a voice came from it. “Shanas, you are ordered to power down immediately or be fired upon. The RSC would like to take you alive, but we will settle for you being spacedust.”

Cole sighed and to Marcus’ surprise, didn’t respond. Instead, he reached down beside his chair and pulled out a small case. He opened it, and inside were an old pair of mirrored sunglasses. He put them on in silence. Marcus shook his head and then he froze as the console in front of him lit up. With what had to be a gunsight! Cole spoke softly. “I am sorry I got you into this Marcus. I won’t surrender to them.”

“What do I do?” Marcus asked softly. Cole flipped a switch and a set of controls came out of the console into Marcus’ reach.

"Controls tick to your right, trigger on it." Marcus took it gingerly and paused as his screen moved when he moved the stick. The pilot’s words were clipped. “You have control of the dorsal guns, try and keep the fighters off of us. I have two torpedoes in the tubes and more in the magazines. If I can get a lock on the shield generators, I can ruin that cruiser’s day.”

"Oh?" Marcus gulped as he looked to where a ship was outlined on his console screen and gulped. There were three cruisers and a much larger ship behind them. He spoke calmly though. “I have never done anything like this…”

"Not a problem." Cole smiled, but there was no humor in it. “It’s easy. Watch your gunsights, lead your targets and above all… relax.”

"What?" Marcus demanded. Then he grimaced. “Great, about to get killed a million kilometers from nowhere and a gung ho human tells me to relax.”

"Right!" Cole grinned at him. “That’s the spirit. Let’s show these slaver scum…” With that, he kicked the small transport’s engines into overdrive and flew towards his foes.

<A few minutes later>

Cole was good, no question. He had darted close to a small planet, to try and lose his opposition, but no luck. Now he couldn't jump to hyperspace even with the interdiction field down. He tried very hard never to be where the enemy fighters expected him to be. And while Marcus took a few minutes to get the hang of actually leading his targets, in short order the kid was pounding the shields of the fighters chasing them. Unfortunately, the RSC didn’t usually go for buying garbage fighters. The twin lasers that the transport had in the dorsal mount just didn’t have the punch to get through the shielding of the fighters that were harassing and chipping away at the small ship’s shields. Cole had managed to cripple one of the cruisers with a two salvos of proton torpedoes leaving it dead in space and afire, but now the other three ships were boxing the transport in, and no matter how fast he ran, the fighters were faster. And he couldn’t get a clear shot at them with the forward guns. He shook his head slightly and sweat flew from his brow.

“These guys are good. I think… I think we have had it.” Cole threw the transport into a sweeping diving turn that evaded a torrent of turbolaser fire from the largest enemy ship and the com buzzed again.

“Come on, Shanas.” The voice snapped. “Give it up. You have lost.”

Cole snarled and spoke softly. “Not yet I haven’t you scum. Why don’t you come out of that battlewagon and face me yourself. Oh, wait… You won’t because you only fight when the odds are on your side. Oh well…” He finally had a shot and with a quick burst of fire, an enemy fighter disintegrated.

The voice was angry now. “Enough. Disable that ship, I want him alive!”

Cole tensed as ion cannon fire started following the ship. He spun the transport in three dimensions trying to avoid it. Marcus looked at Cole. “We are screwed, aren’t we?”

Cole shook his head. “Not yet…” But his voice lacked conviction. He snarled as the com lit up again, but he froze as he heard a different voice.

“Hope you don’t mind if I cut in on your dance.” Cole didn’t recognize the voice, but Marcus hissed.

The pilot froze at his controls as another ship entered the battle zone. A Dynamic class freighter? Then he did a double take before throwing the ship into a torturous evasive pattern to avoid more ion cannon fire. Fire that stopped abruptly. Cole shook his head. It couldn’t be, but… No Dynamic class freighter could move like that. He stared at the slaver ships and shook his head slightly as he saw that they were… withdrawing? Then he noted the sensor readings of the newcomer and his face went white. Only one ship that size had guns that big.

Cole’s voice was hushed, awed. “Oh… my… god…” Marcus stared at Cole and then at his screen.

The boy’s voice was quiet. “Are they… running?” Cole nodded slowly.

The smuggler’s voice was quiet as he watched the newcomer tear into the enemy. “I would too with him after me…” They watched in shock as the single ship dove into the heart of the enemy force, firing steadily. A torrent of fire sought it, but it never seemed to be where the enemy expected it to be. And then something flashed from it and the cruiser that had been closest to it simply exploded.

“What was that?” Marcus asked with fear in his voice.

Cole shook his head. “I don’t know… But he is well known for having big guns on that thing…Whoa!” Cole winced as an absolute torrent of proton torpedoes flew from the impossible little ship and sought the other hale cruiser. There had to be at least ten projectiles in that salvo. The cruiser didn’t have a chance, the range had been less than five kilometers when the heavily armed freighter had fired. In seconds, it was a hulk and even that vanished as the last two torpedoes hit home, blowing the wreck into smoldering bits. That left the battleship that was fleeing at full speed and a swarm of fighters that were even now trying to catch the fast little ship. But as they entered range, the ship’s gun turrets opened fire, spraying far more powerful laser fire than Cole’s transport could boast. Two of them blew up almost as one. The others lost all stomach for battle and turned to run, but now… Cole could only stare in disbelief as the freighter turned so sharply that any human pilot would have lost consciousness and started chasing down the fighters. That wasn’t something you saw every day. A freighter chasing starfighters.

Marcus’s voice was hushed. “What is he doing here?”

Cole shook his head slowly. “You know who that is?” He winced as two more slaver fighters exploded in rapid succession. He was in awe. Cole knew he was a very good pilot, but this… This was something way beyond his ability. This pilot wasn’t a pilot, it was like he was part of the machine or something. Even Jedi or Sith couldn’t fly like that.

Marcus looked sick. “Yeah. I met him. That is Will Kalenath, isn’t it?”

Cole nodded. “Yeah. And his personal ship, the Dragon. I hadn’t really believed… I mean you hear stories. But half of that is exaggeration. Always… Not this… If anything the stories understate what he can do…” The last of the fighters exploded and Cole nodded. “This battle is over, the battleship is going to get away though… They are almost at the edge of the… gravity… well…” His voice trailed off as another ship appeared in the distance, another large ship, battleship class. Cole breathed out slowly and spoke under his breath. “Flarg me…”

Marcus stared at him and then both of their gazes were drawn to the new large ship opening fire. The RSC battleship didn’t have a chance. Even if they had not been running and obviously putting most of their power to engines, the newcomer was twice their size. Cole shook his head as fire went home on the battlewagon’s shields and smiled grimly as the slaver battleship lost shields, then took a full salvo of ion cannon fire. Blue sparks ran the length of the ship and it started drifting. Cole waited for the newcomer to finish it off, but t didn't fire. He stared as the impossible little freighter arced towards the enemy ship and the new battlewagon move off!

“What the hell, Cole?” Marcus was confused and so was Cole. The smuggler shook his head.

“I don’t know. If I didn’t know better…” Cole couldn’t believe he was saying this but, as the Dragon spun towards the enemy ship, it slowed. As if to dock. “I think he is going to board them…”

Marcus’ face went white. “You know… I really wouldn’t want to be on that ship right about now…”

Cole nodded slowly. “Yeah. Me either…”

They watched as the Dragon stopped and seemed to adhere to the hull of the enemy ship. And then Cole tensed as his com lit up again. This time a voice he recognized came through. Cranna’s voice was smug. “Interesting friends you find out here, huh?”

“Cranna…” Cole’s voice was soft. “Did you use me as bait? While I had a passenger?” Marcus stared at him, Cole’s voice was cool, and unemotional, but conveyed disgust.

"No." Cranna’s voice was just as cool. “One of my organization tried to make some money on the side, selling you out. I don’t like it when people do that. I am afraid he took a walk out an airlock. We got here as quick as we could once we knew.”

"Okay." Cole slumped. Truth or not, it was probably the only explanation he was going to get. “Well, can we come aboard?”

"Sure." Cranna’s voice was a little kinder. “Medics will be waiting to help the kid. And you better be unarmed.” There was a distinct aura of threat to her words. Cole nodded.

“Understood. I would rather not take a walk out an airlock myself.” Cole grinned and Marcus stared at him. The com clicked off an Cole set a course to rendezvous with Cranna’s ship. He snorted as he saw the name emblazoned on the front. Just like Cranna the Hutt to call her ship ‘Poke in the Eye’…

<A little over an hour later>

Cole sat and tried to look cool and composed. It was hard. Between the binders and the four Ubese who stood staring at him, it was incredibly hard.

When he had landed, troops had swarmed the ship. They had been reasonably gentle with Marcus, although the boy had cried out a few times, they had loaded the boy onto a stretcher and taken him away. They had not been gentle with Cole. He had found himself on the floor of his cockpit, a blaster rifle muzzle at his head, while they stripped him. They had relieved him of all of his weapons and gear, and his clothes as well. Then they had bound his wrists and, after covering him with a blanket, literally dragged him off the ship. As he had been pulled away, he had seen scanner crews starting to search the rest of the ship. He hadn’t resisted. He had known it wasn’t going to be fun, but this…

The first stop had been a medical bay. He had hoped to see Marcus, but the boy had been nowhere to be seen. The medics had been professional but cool in demeanor to him. He seemed to recall that the hostage who had been killed, the one who had worked for Cranna, had been a nurse. Or had he been a doctor? He wasn’t sure. The medics had scanned him and done… other things… to make sure he wasn’t hiding anything in his body anywhere. Now that had been unpleasant. He wasn’t hiding anything. He had known that hiding things from Cranna, while possible, would have been very, very hard. And if she found anything she would likely just toss him out the airlock and deal with the consequences later. They had given him a clean shipsuit and released his bond. He had put it on, aware the whole time of many blasters out and covering him.

Then they had dragged him here, sat him down in the chair he was in and chained his wrists and ankles to the chair. It was a small room, probably for interrogations. It had a table and two other chairs besides the one he was chained in as well as a mirror on the wall that had to be two way. Most of the guards had then left, but the four Ubese had remained.

“What a fun bunch. “ He shook his head. “You all know any good jokes?”

One of the fully envirosuited beings stepped forward and Cole forced himself to relax as a fist went back and then… the Ubese withdrew a step and nodded to someone behind Cole. Cole froze as a voice came, not anyone he knew. But he had heard it recently, over a com…

“You have the brains of an eggplant, pal.” The male voice stopped and Cole didn’t move as a black garbed form came into his field of view. Cole hadn’t thought his body could get any stiffer, but when he saw the black hair and green eyes, he managed somehow. Will Kalenath nodded, and the grim smile on his face seemed to chill the very air. Cole had faced Sith, slavers, Jedi and monsters out of nightmare while working for the Bladeborn. But nothing had scared him like this man. This… thing. Will Kalenath wasn’t a man, he was hatred made manifest. And he was hate of the beings who Cole worked ultimately for. Not the Bladeborn, no, but the Sith.

Cole nodded slowly. He knew his life was hanging very much in the balance. When he spoke it was careful, but also held rueful humor. “It’s been said.”

“Yeah.” Will smiled a bit less grimly now. “About me too. I never would have expected to see you in the flesh, fly against you, probably, or maybe through a sniper scope. Not like this.”

Cole nodded slowly. “Didn’t have a choice." He said softly. "Marcus and Miriam…” He broke off as Will’s eyes flashed.

The man in black’s eyes were very cold now. “I read the report you sent Cranna. I don’t believe it. What the hell did you do to that boy?” Cole tensed, he knew Will had met and liked Miriam and Marcus.

“I…” Cole’s shook his head slowly. “I messed up. I wasn’t as good with the remote as I thought I was going to be. But what could I do? Shoot him? Hand him to II? He was just trying to help his sister.” Cole looked away. “And it was his choice. I told him it was dangerous, that it was likely to get him killed… But it was the best choice. It sucked, but it was the best choice. And then… I screwed up…”

"Yeah you did." Will nodded. “Mistakes happen. If you can fix them, they are not so bad. But you should learn from them. And you don’t.”

Cole stared at him. “What…?”

Instead of answering him, Will looked over Cole’s shoulder and the smuggler went pure white as another voice sounded. An impossible voice! Young and female and scared. “Dad…?”

“Juli…?” Cole turned his head slowly and tears were falling as he saw a small form standing in the hatchway. His heart seemed to fall out of his chest as he saw his daughter’s face. But her arms were mechanical and much of her face was a mass of burn scars…! He jerked his head back to Will.

“What have you done to her?” He demanded angrily.

Will shook his head. And his voice held sadness. “Not a damned thing. You see… H’ran pirates hit the RSC convoy she was stuck in on the way to Nar Shaddaa. They are not known for fire discipline, but she was alive and whole when we hit the H’ran twenty four hours later.”

Cole could barely breathe. “The Stormhawk…”

"Yeah, the Stormhawk." Will nodded. “We pulled her and the other slaves out and blew the ship. No witnesses. Many of the slaves wanted to come with us, including Juli. She wanted to avenge her dad.”

“A…” Cole shook his head. His voice was soft. “A kid on a warship?”

“Yeah.” Will smiled sadly but then spoke coldly. “We said the same thing. We said she needed an education. So, we set her up with one. Bright kid, she flew through lower education and was working on her college degree. At age twelve. She was on her way to Tattooine for some practical work when slavers hit the ship she was on. It was a liner called the Gem of Yavin.”

“No…” Cole froze. Now his voice was scared. “No…” That had been the ship where he had…

Will nodded and continued in that same dead voice. “She was one of the hostages in the room when you blew the mines that killed the last two slavers. Out of the hostages in that room, she was the only survivor. The only reason she survived was the doctor, a very brave man named Hari, covered her with his own body. She has spent the time since then in recovery and extracurricular studies.” He turned to the form in the door. “You have twenty minutes.” A hand motion and the Ubese filed out. Cole shook his head slowly and Will just shrugged. Then the man in black left the interrogation room and Cole was left with his daughter.

Juli Shanas’ voice was soft. “Dad…”

“No…” Cole just slumped and tears were falling now in streams. “My god, what have I done…? I am sorry Juli..." He jerked as a small hand touched his shoulder.

"Dad..." Juli’s voce was soft, but tears were falling down her ruined face as well. “You saved me, Dad. You didn’t know I was there. But you saved me…”

"Juli..." Cole shook his head, dumbfounded. “I… I did this to you… I…”

"Yes, but..." Juli shook her head slowly. “The blasts mangled my arms, scarred my face. But…” She held Cole as he sobbed. “You saved me.” Cole shook his head, and tensed as her arms went around him. “You did. The H’ran…” She shuddered. “The H'ran pirates took the kids and kept us separate from the others. We didn’t know why.”

Cole met his daughter’s eyes and he saw something there. Something old and hard and well beyond the girl’s fourteen years. “Oh no…”

"Yeah." Juli nodded and swallowed hard. “They took us for their… their use.” She broke off and Cole laid his head on her shoulder, giving what support he could. “Then the Stormhawk came. I was… I was out of it. I woke up in their medical bay, one of seven child survivors. And the only sane one.”

Cole shook his head. “And then... I hurt you…”

“No, dad.” Juli shook her head. “No, you saved me. They were talking, before you attacked the others, about what they were going to do with the… females… me included. I wanted to die, but I was bound and collared. The pain that you gave me is nothing compared to the relief of knowing you are alive, and I am not going to be a plaything for animals again.”

Cole slumped. He jerked his wrists in the bonds, but they didn’t move. Then they clicked open. The ankles remained shut tight. He reached up slowly and took his daughter in his arms. She sobbed as he held her close. he stroked her hair as he had, so long ago and his voice was sad. “I am sorry, Juli. I am so, so sorry... Your mom is dead.”

"I know." Juli nodded, her head buried in his shoulder. Her voice was muffled, but intelligible. “We tried to get her out, but we were too late.”

Cole looked at her. “Who is we?” Instead of answering, Juli turned her shoulder so he could see it. Emblazoned on that shoulder of the flightsuit was the patch of the Stormhawk. “Oh my god…” Cole said quietly as he hugged his little girl close.

Will’s voice came from behind them. “She wouldn’t take no for an answer. Typical female, huh?” Cole looked at the man in black stood in the doorway.

Cole laughed. He couldn’t help it. “Thank you.”

Will snorted. “Don’t thank me, thank her, she is the only reason you are still breathing. Cranna wants your privates on a stick. And you know how I feel about Sith and people who work for them.” Cole nodded. Will sighed. “Time’s up, Juli.”

The girl hugged her father tighter and shook her head. But Cole sighed as he stroked her short hair. “Juli… go… If I am going to die, I can die happy now.”

The girl shook her head again, but didn’t resist when Will stepped forward and gently extricated her from Cole. Then the girl darted back and planted a kiss on Cole’s cheek. Cole forced himself to relax again and laid his wrists back where the restraints were. They clicked shut again. Will and Juli left without another word, leaving Cole to cry alone.

<An indeterminate time later>

Cole Shanas was still crying softly. He hadn’t expected to ever see his daughter again, and to find out HE had been responsible for her injuries… It hurt a lot. Worse than anything he had ever felt as a matter of fact. More than holding his son’s lifeless body in his hands. More than getting beaten. He heard the hatch open, but he didn’t look up.

A soft voice came from behind him. Cranna was musing. “What should I do with you, Cole Shanas?”

“Doesn’t matter." Cole said without looking up. "Do whatever you want. I just found out I nearly killed my sole surviving child. My vengeance is empty, hollow. I am an empty shell filled with nothing but hate. Better off dead…”

"Idiot..." Cranna’s voice was soft now. “Did you hear a word she said? She doesn’t blame you for what happened to her.”

“I did, but…” Cole shrugged as far as he could in his restraints, which wasn’t far. “Like I said, it doesn’t matter. I killed one of your people. You won’t let me out of here alive.”

"Normally I wouldn't, but..." Cranna laughed quietly. “You are not going to get off that easy, Cole Shanas. You have killed several of my people, as well as some of my agents. The agents were undercover as pirates and slavers. And my other people were trying to kill you, so it gets murky.”

Cole nodded. He hadn’t known, but that did make sense. Lots of people had tried to kill him over the years. He looked up and met Cranna’s eyes defiantly. “So when do you shoot me?

“We don’t.” Cranna shook her head. "We have soemthing else in mind."

"Look." Cole spoke fervently. “I know I have wronged you and your people, but… I am a spacer. Don’t throw me out the airlock please.” He wasn’t begging per say, just weary. And dying in vacuum without a suit was a spacer’s worst nightmare. “Just make it quick and for goodness sake, please don’t let Juli watch.”

Cranna seemed to wilt just a bit. “That girl is a treasure, you know that?” Cole nodded and Cranna continued. “She is smarter than any three humans I have ever met, and she focuses like no one’s business. She is bright, fast, strong and utterly ruthless.” At that, Cole stiffened. Cranna snorted. “Who do you think was doing gunnery for Will? He is good, but he isn’t that good. She was in one of his turrets.”

Cole stared at the Hutt, shocked to his core. His voice held horror. “He took her into combat? She is fourteen!”

"I know." Cranna nodded and spoke almost gently. “She is one of the few beings who can fly with him without losing their lunch. Add to that, she is a natural shot.” Cole nodded slowly, he remembered that about Juli. “When she heard you were coming here, she wouldn’t take no for an answer. She told Stormhawk Boss to flarg off. Got in some hot water for that mind you…”

"I..." Cole shook his head slowly. “Cranna, I came here knowing you were going to interrogate and then kill me. I won’t beg. But…”

“I am not going to.” Cranna shook her huge head. “I fully intended to come in here and shoot you. She stopped me. She was crying the hall and she just jumped in front of me. She said: ‘What room is there for mercy in his heart if we have none in ours?’. She stopped me cold with that. I know about vengeance Cole Shanas. I have lived it.”

“But…” Cole was shaking his head harder now. “Why is she working for the Stormhawk? I understand they rescued her, but… why?”

"Aside from hating slavers?" Cranna sighed. “I don’t know. She wouldn’t let us fix her face. We can you know.” Cole nodded. “That daughter of yours is one tough cookie. I won’t kill you, for now. But I haven’t decided what to do with you. For now, you go into detention.”

Cole nodded and didn’t react as Cranna’s pudgy fist came up with a stunner. A whine and he was falling, slowly, so slowly…

<Later>

Cole woke in a cell. He had been in enough that it was immediately recognizable. He looked around. Four walls, floor, ceiling, one door, heavily reinforced and locked of course. Chemical toilet and small bunk, which he was lying on. He wasn’t bound any more, which was a plus, but he felt odd. He shook his head and lay back on the bunk.

A few minutes later, the door to the cell opened and he didn’t move as a guard showed through the open door, blaster rifle pointed at his midsection. But then he stared as a small form entered the cell and the door shut behind his daughter. He closed his eyes as his stomach started doing flips. He couldn’t look at her ruined face.

“Hello dad.” Juli Shanas’ voice was quiet and calm. Cole for his part didn’t move. He didn’t dare. “Dad… It isn’t your fault. Don’t blame yourself.”

"Juli..." Cole shook his head slightly. “If I don’t who will? I pressed the trigger. I blew the mines.” Now he felt really odd. Juli stared at him.

“Dad, are you okay?” Juli’s voice was worried now and she stepped slowly towards the bed.

Cole shook his head slowly. It was all he could do to remain conscious now. “Juli… I… I love you…” He felt hands on his and then he heard loud voices. But they made no sense. And then he was falling again.

<Later>

He wasn’t in the cell anymore. He was moving through corridors on something and Juli was there, her face grieving. No, she wasn’t. He was on a table. And people in medical garb were working around him. And then he was in a bed. He didn’t hurt, just felt very, very weak. Juli was sitting beside him and crying softly. Aw maker, he hated seeing his daughter cry. He always had. He reached for her and his hand moved slowly, so slowly.

“Juli…?” His voice was soft, weak. His daughter turned her ruined face to him and her eyes went wide.

“Dad?” Her voice was soft, incredulous. She took his hand in hers and squeezed as if she was afraid to let go. She pulled his hand to her face and held it against her skin as if afraid he would vanish.

“Don’t cry, Juli.” The girl shook her head at Cole’s words.

“I thought they had killed you. I was all set to tear them apart.” Juli’s words were cold and hard. Cole shivered, she sounded like him.

Cole moderated his voice to try and calm her. “Juli… what happened?” But Juli shook her head and buried her face in her father’s shoulder. Another voice came and Cole looked up into the eyes of Cranna the Hutt, who looked angry.

Cranna’s voice was soft, but angry. “A couple of my employees tried to kill you. Without my knowledge or permission. They hit you with a time release poison while you were in transit to a cell.”

"Huh?" Cole blinked slowly. “Then why am I not dead?”

Juli hugged him tighter, and Cranna sighed before speaking. “Because you are one tough son of a barve. Technically, you were dead for few minutes. But the medics brought you back. And I will…explain… things to those particular employees.”

"Um..." Cole looked at her and shook his head. “Do you have to?”

The Hutt stared at him. Cranna was hard to read, but she seemed to look shocked. “What?”

Cole’s voice held a trace of humor now. “They wanted my life. They got it. Be kind of hard to collect the bounty on me though, since I seem to be still kicking.”

Cranna shook her head slowly. “They didn’t do it for the bounty, they did it for… Oh…” She looked at Cole with appraisal in her huge eyes. “Where does vengeance end?”

Cole nodded, careful not to dislodge the form that was snuggling close to him now. Juli was still crying. “It doesn’t ever end. I don’t know if I can ever stop fighting slavers, but I want to stop hating them and get on with my life now. Now that I have a reason to. Unless you are going to shoot me.”

Cranna smiled thinly. “Shoot you Cole Shanas? No. For people like you and me, dying is easy. Living now… That is hard.” Now Cranna smiled genuinely. “And you are going to have your hands full with her.” Cole stared at Cranna uncomprehending for a moment and then his eyes went wide.

“No… No Cranna… I can’t take her back to the Bladeborn. Imperial Intelligence…” Cole started to say hurriedly, but Juli just smiled.

His daughter patted his head. “It’s okay dad. I am not with the Stormhawk anymore. Something about insubordination. And you will need help with the civilians aboard the Bladeborn’s ship from what I understand. The girl known as Juliana Horn is dead. That was the name I went by after I was rescued. But now… Now my name is Juli Shanas again.”

Cole stared at his daughter and then at Cranna, his eyes wide and his expression fearful. But Cranna just smiled. “Get used to it, Cole. She can and will run roughshod over you. She does it to all of us.”

Cole tensed. “I shudder to think about her and Ona together. Let alone her and Mama Lizard…” Cranna just grinned and Cole sighed. “Why do I know I am going to regret this…?”

<a couple of days later>

“…So Cranna will be unable to assist for the foreseeable future.” Cole finished talking and sat back in his chair. He hadn’t fully bounced back from the poison, but his strength as coming back. Slowly. But he had a reason to try now. Juli smiled as he ruffled her hair gently.

Master Trugoy sat back himself, thinking hard about what Cole had said. His long ears twitched as he thought hard. Finally, he sighed. “I had hoped she would be able to assist. The Emperor is not happy with us having so many potential security leaks aboard. But if she is going to be fighting a war with another Hutt, anyone around her is likely to be in danger. So we are back where we were.”

Cole sighed just as deeply. “With all due respect Grandmaster,..." The smuggler said with a smile. "The only thing that is likely to leak on this ship is diapers.” A laugh swept the room and Trugoy grinned.

Cole had been less than enthused at having to bring Juli into a meeting right after she had cleared Medical. Being scanned for nastiness on returning from trips was a byproduct of having enemies. Of which the Bladeborn had many.

Meeting Ona, Mama Lizard and Trugoy at once immediately on landing had to have been overwhelming. But Juli had taken it in stride. Nothing seemed to faze the girl. And Ona had literally cried herself into a chair when she had found out who the girl with the burns actually was. All of the Bladeborn had been ecstatic to find out that Cole’s daughter was alive. They had been less than ecstatic to discover where she had been. Trugoy sighed again. “This is going to cause problems, Cole. Imperial Intelligence is going to want to know who she is and where she is from. And once they know that, they are going to want to know where she has been.” Trugoy stopped speaking as Juli raised a hand. “Yes, Juli?”

The girl nodded politely before speaking. “I was not on the Stormhawk for very long. And of course I was never anywhere sensitive. If Imperial Intelligence wants to know how many history texts or holonovels the shipboard library has, I can answer that. I was an assistant librarian, not a hyperdrive tech, or bridge officer. They are very careful about security. They have had to be. I wasn’t in any conferences. Except on the acquisitions plan for books that is. If they want to know about that…?” Another laugh swept the room and Trugoy smiled, but his face was worried.

The small brown alien’s voice was kind, but held worry. “Imperial Intelligence isn’t going to believe that. And they will want to know whatever else you can tell them, about the Stormhawk or Will Kalenath.” Cole tensed, but Juli just nodded and Cole stared at her.

"I know." Juli’s words were clear. “Would they accept an interrogation by one of you?” Everything in the room froze at her words. Cole stared at her, and then, unaccountably, he smiled sadly. Trust his daughter to find a loophole in the rules. But what a loophole…

Trugoy looked flabbergasted, Ona was speechless, and finally Mama Lizard spoke, slowly and carefully. “You do not know what you sssay, girl.”

"I mean it." Juli shook her head. “If I submit to interrogation by one of you, or all of you, will Imperial Intelligence accept it?”

Mama Lizard was shaking her head, but Trugoy looked at Juli, an intent expression on his face. Ona spoke up and Bothan's voice held pain. “You cannot be serious. Juli, you have been hurt, badly. And you are asking us to hurt you again? No…”

"I can handle whatever happens." Juli looked at Ona and her face was resolute. “I would rather you do it than Imperial Intelligence.”

Ona stared at her, and then jumped out of her chair. “I will not be party to this. I cannot… I will not listen to this.” She strode from the room quickly, but Cole was sure she was crying.

“Juli…" Cole said gently. "It would make anything you have suffered previously pale in comparison. That is the whole idea. If Vorren were here, I would trust him to do it. But he isn’t.” He couldn’t believe he had just said that, but there it was. He would trust his daughter to Vorren. Maybe nothing else, but his daughter certainly. After what he had seen Vorren do with Miriam, he would trust Vorren not to be too rough.

"Well..." Trugoy thought about that. “We could call him back.”

Cole thought about that for a moment. Then he shook his head. “No. What he is doing is important. he can't disobey an order from the Emperor to help me.” He turned so he faced Juli full on. “Juli, are you sure about this?” The girl met his eyes and nodded.

Trugoy took a deep breath. “To answer your question, Juli. Yes, they would accept it. They would have no choice. We can go deeper, faster, than they can. And we can verify everything you say. But… You need to understand this. It will hurt like nothing else you have ever felt in your life. And you can die from it. Which is why we do it so rarely. I would not willingly endanger your life.” Mama Lizard nodded and the other Bladeborn who filled the small room murmured their own assent to Trugoy’s words.

Juli met his eyes and hers were far, far older than her fourteen years. “I understand, Grandmaster Trugoy. But I think this is my best choice.”

"Ah, Juli..." Cole shook his head and a laid a gentle hand on his daughter’s arm. “Juli… I don’t want to lose you again.”

Juli covered his hand with her own and smiled. “I fully intend to make your life interesting for a long, long time, Dad.” A snicker ran around the room at Cole’s expression, but then he bowed his head. He stood up, pulled his daughter out of her chair and embraced her.

His voice was husky when he spoke. “I will hold you to that.”

<Two hours later>

“Cole…? Ona said you were back…” Miriam’s voice was worried as she sat down near where he was staring out into space through a viewport.

Cole smile as he looked up at Miriam. “You look a lot better.” And she did. She didn’t have the fearful look any more, probably due to Ona and Mama Lizard’s work. They had done the same for countless children over the years.

Miriam smiled. “I feel better. I haven’t been ill in days."S he said with a grimace. "And Ona has been getting me textbooks to read in addition to the novels.”

Cole tilted his head to the side. “Oh?”

Miriam squirmed a bit. “I don’t know if I was ever a book person before, but now, I find I just love to read. And if I can learn at the same time, well, that is a good thing.” Cole grinned, but there was melancholy behind it and Miriam stared at him. She sighed. “Cole, what is wrong?”

"Miriam?" Cole tensed, but then relaxed and Miram laid an arm on his shoulder. His voice was sad now. “You heard about Juli?’

Miriam nodded slowly and her face was happy, but she tensed when Cole didn’t smile. “Yeah the whole ship knew almost as soon as you landed." Miriam admitted. "There are no secrets in space. What’s wrong?”

“She was rescued from the slavers by an outlaw vessel." Cole said soberly. "A ship that has fought the Empire for over ten years.” Miriam’s eyes went wide.

Her voice was hushed. “Oh no, not the Stormhawk… Cole…” Now her voice was scared. “If Imperial Intelligence…” She broke off as Cole nodded sadly.

“She knows." Cole said softly, scared. "Which is why she asked the Bladeborn to interrogate her. To pull any useful information out.” Miriam relaxed.

“Well, that is a good thing, isn’t it? I mean Ona won’t hurt her.” Miriam said with assurance. Cole didn’t react and Miriam tensed. “She wouldn’t.”

Cole’s replied in a monotone. “Ona refused to have any part of it. What you went through with Vorren was gentle, kind even. What the Bladeborn do when they interrogate is not. People die when they interrogate. Not always. But fairly often.”

"What?" Miriam stiffened. “Why?”

"Because it was her choice and I didn’t say no." Cole was crying softly now. “Because it may be the only thing that keeps her from living out the rest of her life in an Imperial Intelligence cell.”

Miriam’s voice was sad now. “Cole, I am sorry.” She reached out and took Cole in an embrace. And then… He froze as she did something else.

“Miriam… No…” Cole shook his head. He moved away from her and she followed.

Miriam’s voice was gentle, soothing now. “Cole. You helped me. Let me help you.”

"No..." The smuggler shook his head and backed away again, only to run into the bulkhead. Cole shook his head again savagely. “I won’t Miriam. I can’t…” He stiffened as she gathered him in her arms and then he was crying.

“Shhhh Cole, Shhhh… I know what you need. And I can give it to you.” Neither of them noticed the camera above the door to the room shut off. And after a few minutes, neither of them would have cared.

<Ina another part of the ship>

“Juli, all you have to say at any time is ‘No’. And I pull you out, clear?” Master Trugoy’s words were cautious. Juli would probably have nodded in response, except her head was restrained along with the rest of her body. “Maker help me Juli, I do not want to do this…”

Juli smiled sadly. “Neither do I." She admitted with only a small quaver in her voice."Be thorough. I don’t want to go through this twice.”

Trugoy smiled sadly at that. The preliminary drugs had some nasty side effects. The small brown alien touched her gently on the temples with his three clawed hands and sighed before looking at the others. Jon had finished the IV connections and Mama Lizard had finished padding the restraints. “Ok, here we go… Everybody out.”

Jon and Mama Lizard stepped out of the interrogation room and shut the door. A high pitched scream was cut off in midword as the soundproof door closed behind them. They looked at each other and slumped in unison. Then both sat down on the bench outside the room to wait. This would be a long wait.

<The next morning>

Cole woke suddenly and tensed. He was in his quarters, on his bed. Had it been a dream? He had run from Miriam when she had started making more than advances on him, he had fled back to his quarters and then… it got hazy. He slumped and then he stiffened as something else moved on the bed.

Oh no…

He didn’t want to look, he didn’t want to see. But he did anyway. She lay there, smiling at him. He stared at her and then at himself and his face went white. “Miriam… No…. I…”

"Cole..." Miriam reached out to him and he recoiled. But then she took his hands in her own and embraced him. “Cole, it’s okay.”

"No!" Cole shook his head, and tried to roll away, but Miriam tightened her grip. His voice was soft, scared. “No it isn’t. Miriam, you are a kid, and you were hurt. I…”

"Now I know why Ona, and Mam say 'Men' in the tone they use." Miriam shook her head slowly. “From the records I have seen, I had my eighteenth birthday three days ago. That is the age of majority on the planet you are from, right?” Cole stared at her and nodded jerkily. Miriam smiled. “Cole, you haven’t done anything wrong.”

Cole stammered as she tried to extricate himself from her grasp, but she just wouldn’t let go. “Miriam… I… No… Let me go… Please… I… Juli…”

Miriam let him go, but followed when he rolled off the bed and landed heavily on the floor. “You know they would have told you if anything horrible had happened to your daughter. Instead, they let you sleep. You needed it.” Her voice was calm and soothing, but Cole recoiled further.

"Miriam..." His voice was horrified now. “Miriam, tell me I didn’t sleep with you… Please…?”

Miriam looked at him and her eyes held hurt now. “You were not complaining last night. Cole, please… I wanted to help.” The bruised look in her eyes had him stiffening. Maker he didn’t want to hurt her, but this…!

"Girl..." Cole shook his head. “Miriam, I am twice your age.”

"So?" Miriam smiled slightly. “According to what I have read about Averum, girls are married off as early as fourteen and are expected to have at least two children by the time they are my age. So I was an ‘old maid’ I think is the term. And they are routinely married to people twice or three times their age. So you have done nothing wrong. Unless you wanted to do something wrong?” Her tone was teasing.

Cole couldn’t help it, he laughed at her tone. But then he shook his head. “Miriam, you were hurt…”

Miriam shook her head. “Only in my brain. My body works just fine, wouldn’t you say?” She posed dramatically and Cole had to force himself to meet her eyes and not let his eyes wander. Cole stood up slowly and moved towards his footlocker. Miriam didn’t follow. But her voice was calm and soothing still. “You needed it Cole.”

Cole was shuddering as he dressed quickly. He didn’t trust his voice. He heard noises behind him as he pulled his boots on, and when he glanced up, Miriam was finishing dressing as well. Miriam smiled a bit as she finished pulling in her own boots. Cole just shook his head and his mind was filled with recriminations, so he never heard her step toward shim. He felt her lips brush his cheek though and her soft words. “See you around…” And then she was gone and Cole felt… bereft. He sat back on the bed, shook his head and tried not to cry

<A few minutes later>

Cole stepped into medical, his head awhirl with speculations, recrimination and self loathing. Ona took one look at him and winced. “Cole…”

Cole looked at the Bothan, who flinched back from his regard. “How did she get into my quarters? I know I locked the door.” He froze as another voice came from nearby.

“I let her in.” He stared in disbelief at the huge form of the Barabel who served as a clan mother to the Bladeborn. That was a blatant violation of the Bladeborn code, they valued what little privacy or the illusion of privacy that they had. Although he wasn't a Bladeborn...

"What?" His voice was hushed. “Mama Lizard… Why? She is a kid.”

The Barabel sighed. “No ssshe isss not. Cole, I have been a den and clan mother to thisss gang of missscreantsss for a long time. I know when one isss teetering on the brink of insssanity. You were. Between the messs with Miriam and her brother and then your daughter… Cole, you ssscared usss.”

Cole felt this face go slack. How the hell could he scare such scary beings? But this time Ona spoke. “It was Miriam’s idea and she said you were under no obligation to her. She was trying to pay some of what she owes you.”

"What?" Cole shook his head. “She owes me nothing.”

Mama snorted. “Ssshe disssagreess. But come.” The Barabel took Cole’s arm in a gentle but irresistible grip and led him towards the single closed private room door. He let himself be led. No one sane argued with anyone who had claws that size. Mama opened the door and Cole slumped in relief to see his daughter sleeping on the bed inside, the monitors were all steady with the signs of vibrant life. Mama let his arm go and Cole stepped into the room quietly. Juli was sleeping. He sat down beside her bed to wait. Mama Lizard leaned close and spoke into his ear.

“She woke once, but only for a short time. She was lucid. She ate and drank and then slept again. She will do that for the next day or so. Trugoy went…deep.” Cole slumped. He had known that it would be hard, but seeing his daughter… Wait a second… He stared at his daughter’s face and his eyes went wide as he saw the telltale signs of surgery on the scars. He turned to Mama Lizard who shrugged.

“I think… she is finally beginning to heal. She asked us to see about repair. Ona is already preparing what she needs.” Cole felt tears falling, but remained silent as he sat by his slumbering child. Mama patted his shoulder gently and then left the room quietly, closing the door softly behind her.

“Maybe we are both beginning to heal…” Cole’s voice was almost inaudible, but he tensed as Juli’s eyes fluttered.

“Dad?” Her voice was low and filled with the echoes of remembered pain. But with the IVs and how he knew Ona felt, there was no way at all that Juli would be in any kind of pain now.

“It’s okay, Jewels.” Her mouth twitched at the old nickname he had given her just after she had been born. “Go back to sleep, Daddy’s here…” Juli smiled fully now and then, with a sigh, fell back into unconsciousness. But her smile remained. And Cole was smiling as he brushed her hair gently out of her face and sat back to maintain his vigil.

<Eight hours later>

Cole sat in the small briefing room and tried not to yawn. It had been a long and exciting day. Between the surprise he had received on waking and the joy at finding his daughter alive and lucid , he was more than a little wrung out. But he had to be here. Juli was sleeping again, and Ona was staying with her while Cole was busy. He was still trying to get his mind around the fact that he had a child again. It was weird; he had always counted himself free to do as he wished. No more. Someone else took precedence now and again when he closed his eyes, he could see her face. Both the ruined one that now haunted him and the sad and scared cherublike vision he had seen before the escape pod the slavers had thrown him into had jettisoned. He focused on Trugoy with difficulty.

The small brown grandmaster of the Bladeborn was speaking. “…she was remarkably helpful. Her mental images were clear and crisp. But as she said, none of them were of much use. She saw a mess hall, a medical ward, a dormitory and a library aboard the Stormhawk. She never learned names, just numbers. She was number one thirty seven. Apparently it is a security measure aboard that ship.”

The other non-Bladeborn being in the meeting sighed. Captain Olin of Imperial Intelligence had been summoned and had been less than enthused to be called like a lackey. And to his credit, he had been horrified to find what he did. His voice was rueful. “It is. They are fiendishly clever at security. It doesn’t seem like they are, but every single attempt to put people aboard or subvert crewmembers has failed, miserably.” Captain Olin sighed. “I really wish you had let us deal with this. It would have hurt her a lot less.” He actually seemed outraged, but whether by the Bladeborn usurping the normal powers of Imperial Intelligence or at the pain done to a child, Cole wasn’t sure. Maybe both.

Cole spoke up before Trugoy could. “It was her choice.”

"You..." Olin snarled at him. “I can’t believe you let them do that to your daughter.”

Cole just smiled. No one in the room would have called it friendly in their wildest dreams. “I happen to trust them. Imperial Intelligence? Not so much.” For a moment, he thought Olin was going to explode, as red as the man’s face became, but then the agent nodded slowly.

The agent’s voice was quiet when he did manage to speak. “Fair enough. And you say you do have information?”

“Not on the Stormhawk." Trugoy admitted. "On the H’ran.”

At that, the captain became intent, and Cole did as well. The H’ran pirates had been a thorn in the side of the Empire for decades. Their base had been incredibly hard to locate. The Empire regularly sent out patrols seeking pirate bases, and when they were found, dispatched fleets to eradicate them. But the H’ran always seemed to evade the fleets. The Imperial forces always seemed to arrive too late, finding bases that were barely empty as if the occupants had fled moments before the troops had arrived. A sizable force was always out hunting pirates. And it had rarely reported any success at all when looking for the H’ran.

"The H'ran?" Olin spoke slowly. “How would she have information on them?”

“She is a bright kid." Trugoy said quietly. "And she wanted them dead. After hearing what happened to her… I don’t blame her in the slightest.” For the first time since the meeting had started, Trugoy showed emotion. A curl of a lip from him was more than any number of screams of hate from anyone else. Olian nodded, and Cole swallowed. That part of the recording of Juli’s interrogation had made him sick. But then he shook himself and focused again. “She took information the Stormhawk had on pirate activities and collated it. She narrowed the H’ran activities down until she had a selection. Then she narrowed that down to four systems, but then she found out about her father and left the Stormhawk before she could give them the information.”

Olin scoffed. “Why would they have…?” he broke off as Cole, Mama and Trugoy all glared at him. “Ok, ok, point taken. They like slavers as much as Mr. Shanas here does.” Cole snorted at that. But then Olin frowned. “What systems?”

Trugoy brought up a starchart on the holoscreen and highlighted four star systems. All of them were off the beaten path of hyperspace routes. Olin nodded as he looked at each and then he froze. “You have got to be kidding." The agent asked incredulous. "Why would they go there?” The caption under the world read ‘Islan’.

"No idea." Trugoy shrugged. “Its way off the hyperspace lanes, so far out in fact that it has been charted and that is about all. They may not have known what that world was. But, think about it. How many Imperial fleet commanders are willing to risk going there?” Considering that it had been less than a hundred years since it was worth any Imperial's life to go anywhere near that system…

"I...see..." Olin pursed his lips. “Is it possible they found something? Some remnant?”

"Doubtful." Trugoy shook his head. “Possible, but doubtful. The fleet that sterilized the planet was thorough. We wanted to make darn sure.”

"Right..." Olin nodded slowly. “You were there, weren’t you? Oh, this is going to go over so well at fleet HQ…”

“We do have other news." Trugoy said soberly. "Juli heard some scuttlebutt around the ship. She didn’t pay any mind to it, but we of course know better. The Islanian remnant attacked a world called Nova Ordo. We are not sure where that is, we can’t find it anywhere in our databanks. It might be a code name. It sounds Mandalorian. The Islanian ships were slaughtered. No survivors.”

"You mean..." Olin blinked. “You mean the last bits of that hideous bunch of scum are gone?”

"I wish." Trugoy shook his head. “We have reports of Islanian attacks since then. But far fewer. At the very least they were driven back with substantial losses.”

"I see..." Olin shook his head. “On the strength of this interrogation report I can send scouting teams, but no team is going to want to go there…”

“Which is why we are going.” Trugoy replied. His grin was feral and Mama and Cole shared it.

<Two days later>

It was nerve wracking. It was boring. If there was one thing Cole Shanas truly hated, it was waiting. But approaching a pirate base with anything other than caution, or a full on battle fleet, was a bad idea. And this was not a full on battle fleet. Cole looked around the small cockpit of the transport and sighed. He had wanted to make the initial recon himself, alone, but Trugoy had overruled him. And truth be told he didn’t mind. He stared at the planet that was growing slowly in the distance as the transport flew on its ballistic path that would have it intercept the planet in eight hours. And he tried not to shiver.

Even today, not many people knew of the planet Islan. The beings of that world had, at the height of their power, controlled only three star systems that were in close proximity to each other. It had seemed like such a simple thing for the resurgent Sith Empire to squash when the Empire had first encountered them. It hadn’t turned out that way. When the first small fleet hadn’t returned, the Sith sent another, and another, and then yet another. Even fleets that had contained Sith lords and apprentices had simply vanished in this area. The Sith had finally quarantined the area and actively blockaded it. Only after twenty five years of ships vanishing had the Empire discovered what was happening. A single ship with a single hurt survivor had managed to get back to the Empire and the survivor had divulged a lot of information before he had died under interrogation.

The Islanians were not physically very capable in and of themselves. While large, their bodies had been unwieldy. But that wasn’t a problem for them. Their ships were small, fast and almost invisible to normal sensors. Even upgraded sensors had difficulty picking the small craft out. They carried heavy weaponry, a type of plasma cannon that burned through shields and hull armor like paper. And none ever had life signs aboard. But that wasn’t the worst part. No.

The survivor and his squadron had been told to flee, to report back by a Sith lord named, what had his name been? Koliam? Joliam? Cole shook his head. It didn’t matter, the guy was long dead. That Sith Lord had discerned through the Force that the Islanian ships were not computer controlled, that the ships possessed intelligence of their own. That somehow, the Islanians had put living minds into their ships, enslaving them.

Each Islanian ship was a match for a small fleet all by itself. Predictably, the Sith of the time had reacted with avarice. Here was power, incredible power. So, for years they attacked the systems trying to find a way to counter the incredible advantages that the Islanians possessed. To steal their technology to use against rivals. It never worked, and although the Emperor himself had decreed that the attacks stop, Sith periodically tried anyway and vanished without a trace. And then… Things had changed.

One day the Sith who attacked had found no resistance. She had orbited the planet Islan and bombarded the facilities that could be detected. And still there had been no resistance. She had been so surprised at her own survival that she had reported her success. In hindsight, that had not been a wise move. Sith lords and Sith lord wanna-bes had converged on the system, all jockeying for power, all looking for anything that might give them an edge. And then Trugoy had arrived. Before the surprised Sith could even mount a protest, the ships under his direct command had incinerated the entire surface of the planet, leaving nothing but a barren wasteland. The Emperor had decreed the Islanians enemies of the Empire and Trugoy had carried out the sentence. The only survivors of the attack by the combined Sith fleets had been the ships that had been offworld at the time. Over the years, the sips had attacked Sith shipping, but had never been much of a threat, for they had been disorganized and inefficient. While they had proven almost impossible to track or kill, the attacks could be ignored in the build up to invading the Republic. And Islan had been forgotten in the rush to savage the Republic.

But not by everyone, Cole thought with a grimace as he saw several ships in orbit. Two battleships, a carrier and a host of smaller ships all clustered around a makeshift space platform. He focused his passive sensors on them. Only a fool would use active sensors in a system crawling with enemies and whistled softly as he saw the markings of the H’ran pirate band on all the large vessels. It was obvious that the scheduled Imperial patrols of this area had been lacking for quite some time. The hatch hissed open behind him and Cole turned to see Trugoy enter the cockpit. The small brown grandmaster was not happy. Cole nodded towards his screen and Trugoy nodded in reply.

"Well, it’s official." Cole sighed. “Here they are.”

"I..." Trugoy was looking somewhere else, out the viewport. “Something is different… Something is wrong.” He stared about, unsure.

Cole tensed, but none of his screens showed anything. “I have… Whoa…” he blanched as all of his screens went dark. His fingers danced over the controls, but nothing functioned “What the flarg?” Both of them froze as something moved outside the viewport. Something long and dark and…silver? Cole’s voice was scared now, but he didn’t care. “Trugoy…?” He asked.

"This is odd." Trugoy’s voice was hushed. “I don’t know what is going on. If that is what I think it is, we should be dead. Islanians never took Sith prisoners and we are in a Sith transport. What the…?” Both of them jerked as the ship did.

Cole tensed. “Tractor beam.” He stared out at the other ship and watched as it turned around and then he tensed again as their vector made sense to him. “They are pulling us away from the planet. Why?”

Trugoy shook his head. “I don’t know Cole. I don’t know.”

Another voice came from behind them as the hatch opened slowly on manual control. “Will ssomeone tell me why we jussst lossst all lightssss and…” Mama Lizard’s voice broke off as she saw what was barely visible out the viewport. “Oh… dear…”

Cole’s voice was quiet. “You said it Mama, you said it.”

<Some time later>

Cole felt… good when he woke. Which was odd. He hadn’t known what to expect, but he was sure… his thoughts abruptly took a left turn as he realized something was wrong. He wasn’t in his seat at the controls of the transport, no, he was lying on something that moved fluidly under him. But that wasn’t what had his guts clenching. No, it was the irate young voice from somewhere nearby.

“I don’t care what you say. You have my dad and I want him back!” Juli Shanas’ voice was scared but strong and angry and Cole tried to sit up, only to find himself strapped to something. He tried to open his eyes, but they wouldn’t. All he could do was listen. A voice he didn’t know came next. Female, old and worried.

“Child, we haven’t hurt anyone . Please, put the thermal charge down, and we can talk.” Cole froze solid at that. Juli with a bomb?

He opened his mouth and was surprised to hear his voice sound normal. “Juli…?”

Dad!” Juli’s voice came from close by. “Dad, where are you?”

The female voice spoke again, slowly, calmly. “Child, Juli, is that your name? Your father is fine. Look.”

Cole felt whatever he was in change and then, he could see. He blinked at the sudden light and then tensed at the scene he saw. All around him were pods of some kind, strange alien equipment lined the walls, ceiling and floor. And Juli stood nearby with a ticking thermal detonator in her hand. Cole felt his guts freeze. “Juli, tell me that is on a dead man’s switch and not a timer…”

Juli nodded, but her gaze was elsewhere. Cole followed her gaze and tensed as he saw something that seemed to flow across the floor nearby. Something that had way too many tentacles to be anything he wanted to know. Juli snarled as the thing moved. “Let us go!

The voice came from the thing. “Child, you are not a prisoner. I apologize for Minerva. She is overenthusiastic. She stunned your ship on general principle. We wanted to be sure that none of your people were hurt, the others are back in your ship already. Your father is fine. Please, disarm the bomb.”

Juli shook her head savagely. “I don’t trust you.”

The voice actually seemed to be smiling. “Good, you will live longer.” Cole felt his guts clench and Juli looked dumbstruck as the thermal detonator in her hand simply stopped ticking. “Sleep…” Cole fought it, but whatever it was, was way too strong. He fell unconscious cursing.

<Some time later>

Cole was aware of two things when he woke. Muted cursing somewhere in the ship and a warm mass in his lap. He looked down at the slumbering girl in his lap and shook his head. Then he stared at his controls. “Oh my god…”

Juli stirred in his lap and looked at him, and then her gaze followed his out the viewport. The H’ran ships that had been in orbit around Islan were fighting for their lives against small flitting shapes that could barely be seen. Even as they watched, one of the battleships blew up. The hatch opened behind them but neither could take their gaze off the scene in front of them. Trugoy’s intake of breath was audible.

“Oh dear…” A curse came as Mama Lizard stormed into the cockpit.

“Juli? How did you get here?” The Barabel asked before her gaze as well was drawn to the battle that raged outside.

Juli’s voice was quiet. “I stowed away. I knew you wouldn’t let me come. I…” Cole hugged his daughter tight.

Trugoy shook his head slowly. “I don’t understand. Why would they let us go, and attack the H’ran?”

Juli shook her head slowly. “She said…” She broke off as all of the others looked at her.

Cole hugged his daughter. “Who said, Juli?” Trugy and Mama just waited and Juli took a deep breath.

The girl’s voice was quiet. “She said her name was Gaia. She said we were not enemies, that it was a misunderstanding. That her people would not return here again.”

Trugoy stared at her. “You mean she was an Islanian?”

Juli shrugged. “I don’t know. She was big and had a lot of tentacles. But she said something weird before she made me sleep.” Cole hugged her again. “She said she would never be a slave again.”

All of them stared at her, and then they stared at where the battle had raged. Now, nothing showed. But then, several small shapes blurred, obviously going into hyperspace. Mama Lizard laid a gentle claw on Juli’s arm. “Did she say anything else Juli?”

Juli shrugged. “Only that slavery doesn’t pay.”