Vote kick for story?

Roccobb

Last night I was still pretty PO'd, so didn't come on the forums. Currently, on one of my alts, I am doing Revan for the imps. I am on a RP server, since I thought from past experience RP servers had some of the best people on them. So last night, a guildie and I do Korriban Incursion on GF. At the beginning, I said I have never done this, doing it for Revan. The two individuals not my guildie started in on me about how it is so much easier solo, how I shouldn't be wasting their time, and I NEED to spacebar. Of course, I said absolutely not, lets just go and get this done.

There were a total of 2 whole cutscenes in that FP, lasted a total of 4 minutes, if that. After the first cutscene, one of those individuals started a votekick on me, because I wouldn't space bar my way through the FP. Seriously? Your time is that valuable to you, that you can't wait a total of maybe 4 minutes for somebody to enjoy the story for the first time? Because it is easier solo mode, I should have to do it solo mode? People sit on fleet, queing for these for 10-30 minutes, and you are going to complain about 4 lousy minutes?

This same individual kept running in front of the entire group, way out in front, and pulled, even though my guildie was a tank. After 2 times of him getting close to dying, and us keep telling him to stop, let the tank pull, maybe HEAL UP BEFORE MOVING ON, I, as the healer, let him die. Yesterday was just a bad eperience doing FP for me. I know with like 300 FP's in the Revan story, I have more to do, and more experiences coming up. I just hope that the rest are all a lot better than this one.

/endrant

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree.

People yell "Skip! Skip!" to me all the time.

You shouldn't have to feel bad for enjoying the story (in a game that focuses on story!) Maybe EA/Bioware should work out a solution so both kinds of people can get what they want.

This same individual kept running in front of the entire group, way out in front, and pulled, even though my guildie was a tank. After 2 times of him getting close to dying, and us keep telling him to stop, let the tank pull, maybe HEAL UP BEFORE MOVING ON, I, as the healer, let him die. Yesterday was just a bad eperience doing FP for me. I know with like 300 FP's in the Revan story, I have more to do, and more experiences coming up. I just hope that the rest are all a lot better than this one.

Vote kick people who do that. If there is a tank (an actual tank, not a DPS who accidentally queued as a tank), the tank should tank. I kick people all the time for maratanking, snipertanking, sorctanking, merctanking, etc. They sometimes say "It's just a tactical, what's the big deal." I say "The repair bills are the same as in HM. Bye." It is amazing how much more quickly and smoothly a tactical goes when run it like a HM (i.e., plan, do some CC, let the tankiest character pull, let the healerest character heal, etc). People who just run around like idiots because "It's just a tactical" are not the kind of people I am going to play with (so there are a lot of drops or vote kicks in my tactical FPs).

Edited by branmakmuffin

Totally agree.

People yell "Skip! Skip!" to me all the time.

You shouldn't have to feel bad for enjoying the story (in a game that focuses on story!) Maybe EA/Bioware should work out a solution so both kinds of people can get what they want.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't solo mode the solution? People who want to watch the cutscene can do so using Super Droid and not hold up the line for the other 3 people. People who want to group can do so without having someone who wants to see all the dialogue options slow them down.

I know when I first ran Manaan, I liked to exit out of the

Arkous and Darok

dialogues since they give class-specific taunts. I can't ask a group to sit through that!

Unfortunately these people exist even on RP servers. The RP server still seem to be very well populated (especially with Bioware's return to the story aspect). So a lot of people are transferring in from other servers. This has increased the number of "jerks" on the RP servers.

Yes it is frustrating. I usually just put them on my ignore list and go about my business. No point in getting yourself worked up because of them.

Vote kick people who do that. If there is a tank (an actual tank, not a DPS who accidentally queued as a tank), the tank should tank. I kick people all the time for maratanking, snipertanking, sorctanking, merctanking, etc. They sometimes say "It's just a tactical, what's the big deal." I say "The repair bills are the same as in HM. Bye." It is amazing how much more quickly and smoothly a tactical goes when run it like a HM (i.e., plan, do some CC, let the tankiest character pull, let the healerest character heal, etc). People who just run around like idiots because "It's just a tactical" are not the kind of people I am going to play with (so there are a lot of drops or vote kicks in my tactical FPs).

I still don't understand the run to the next set of bad guys without a full power bar/health bar. That happens in 3 out of 5 FP's I join. Seriously, I don't have unlimited healing power! Nor do I care to keep up with you getting attacked by 10 people simultaneously, when you start at 50% health.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't solo mode the solution? People who want to watch the cutscene can do so using Super Droid and not hold up the line for the other 3 people. People who want to group can do so without having someone who wants to see all the dialogue options slow them down.

I know when I first ran Manaan, I liked to exit out of the

Arkous and Darok

dialogues since they give class-specific taunts. I can't ask a group to sit through that!

If I have to run FP's, I will do it in tactical. 208 gear drops in tactical FP's are so much better than the gear that drops in Solo mode.

Unfortunately these people exist even on RP servers. The RP server still seem to be very well populated (especially with Bioware's return to the story aspect). So a lot of people are transferring in from other servers. This has increased the number of "jerks" on the RP servers.

Yes it is frustrating. I usually just put them on my ignore list and go about my business. No point in getting yourself worked up because of them.

It's not just me! I have noticed the increase in total jerks and very immature people and "kiddies" on rp servers over the past 5 months or so. What is with that all the sudden? You can't get a question in general without somebody bringing up nudity, politics, sex, or anything like that. They start playing that stupid jawa game and people think because others are being giant morons that THEY can start being giant morons. It's really offputting to a new player and even me. I have closed general chat now on my chat tabs because of that fact. It's horrible and disgusting the way people talk now!

The solution is clear: EA/BW should disable the spacebar as a means of skipping convos. Doing so would remove one of the two most frequent complaints about PUGs (to eliminate the other complaint, EA/BW should remove Master Loot from the game). It's either rants about players not spacebarring or rants about players demanding someone spacebar. I see this as a net time savings for most players: minutes lost in convos are recouped in time not spent scribing your forum rant.

I also favor a "leash" effect. All characters in FPs are bound to each other by an invisible leash, which prevents the characters from moving too far away from the group. That will prevent "run-aheads".

I'd also like to see any non-Tank who draws first aggro on a set of mobs as getting smitten by insta-death. That would, one hopes, have a chilling effect on such behavior.

Until EA/BW implements my FP Reform Package, I'll just continue to boycott Group Finder.

The solution is clear: EA/BW should disable the spacebar as a means of skipping convos. Doing so would remove one of the two most frequent complaints about PUGs (to eliminate the other complaint, EA/BW should remove Master Loot from the game). It's either rants about players not spacebarring or rants about players demanding someone spacebar. I see this as a net time savings for most players: minutes lost in convos are recouped in time not spent scribing your forum rant.

I also favor a "leash" effect. All characters in FPs are bound to each other by an invisible leash, which prevents the characters from moving too far away from the group. That will prevent "run-aheads".

I'd also like to see any non-Tank who draws first aggro on a set of mobs as getting smitten by insta-death. That would, one hopes, have a chilling effect on such behavior.

Until EA/BW implements my FP Reform Package, I'll just continue to boycott Group Finder.

I have asked for a spacebar disable from day 1. I think it's stupid to skip any content anyway ;)

I still don't understand the run to the next set of bad guys without a full power bar/health bar. That happens in 3 out of 5 FP's I join. Seriously, I don't have unlimited healing power! Nor do I care to keep up with you getting attacked by 10 people simultaneously, when you start at 50% health.

I have asked more than once, when kicking a player who continues to start at less than 100% health "Can you explain to me the benefits of starting a fight, especially a boss fight, at less than 100% health?" The usual response, when I get one, is "It's just a tactical." I'm sure we have all seen the joker (usually a Marauder) who leaps in at 10% health. Maybe no one should be allowed to play a Marauder until they have played a Juggernaut to the end of chapter 3.

Edited by branmakmuffin

I thought solo mode was for each individual player to run the flashpoint like they want to run it, whether that be listening to every bit of every cutscene, spacebarring through as quickly as possible even if you have no idea of what they are talking about, or something in between.

Meanwhile, playing as a group meant that you should respect the choices of everyone else in the group regarding cutscenes.

If someone wants to listen then you respect that and don't act like everyone should do things your way. Part of that whole "team" thing.

If your time is just too precious to spend a minute on a cutscene then maybe it's you that should be running the solo flashpoints. :t_cool:

Edited by Mithros

If your time is just too precious to spend a minute on a cutscene then maybe it's you that should be running the solo flashpoints. :t_cool:

Exactly so. Someone playing a computer game is already indicating that their time is really not all that valuable. If it were, they would be engaging in that other, more valuable activity.

Exactly so. Someone playing a computer game is already indicating that their time is really not all that valuable. If it were, they would be engaging in that other, more valuable activity.

Since this, somewhat, relates to our discussion in the other thread as well, I've never voted to kick a player for wanting to watch the show. Even on Back Talon and Esseles ... FPs I've run hundreds of times. When I said I prefer not to say a word during a FP, that includes the word "SPACEBRZZ!!!!"

Since this, somewhat, relates to our discussion in the other thread as well, I've never voted to kick a player for wanting to watch the show. Even on Back Talon and Esseles ... FPs I've run hundreds of times. When I said I prefer not to say a word during a FP, that includes the word "SPACEBRZZ!!!!"

The only time I ask people to space bar is if we have established up front that it's going to be a space bar run (i.e., a BT/Ess anti-social run). I will silently sit through the seemingly endless convo at the end of Battle of Rishi if someone else really wants to watch it.

Edited by branmakmuffin

Last night I was still pretty PO'd, so didn't come on the forums. Currently, on one of my alts, I am doing Revan for the imps. I am on a RP server, since I thought from past experience RP servers had some of the best people on them. So last night, a guildie and I do Korriban Incursion on GF. At the beginning, I said I have never done this, doing it for Revan. The two individuals not my guildie started in on me about how it is so much easier solo, how I shouldn't be wasting their time, and I NEED to spacebar. Of course, I said absolutely not, lets just go and get this done.

There were a total of 2 whole cutscenes in that FP, lasted a total of 4 minutes, if that. After the first cutscene, one of those individuals started a votekick on me, because I wouldn't space bar my way through the FP. Seriously? Your time is that valuable to you, that you can't wait a total of maybe 4 minutes for somebody to enjoy the story for the first time? Because it is easier solo mode, I should have to do it solo mode? People sit on fleet, queing for these for 10-30 minutes, and you are going to complain about 4 lousy minutes?

/endrant

All I can say is WELCOME TO "Star Wars Of The Old Republic Online" Look like you had another BW brat in your group or another WoW kid either way both type of idiots need to be kicked from your group first sign was when they tried to tell you to spacebar though everything I would have booted his monkey *** ,I always hate those running & gunning type you kick or you just leave the group and add to the ignore list, you guys should have just booted his *** from the get go but yeah or maybe its just me

/endrant

this is a multiplayer game. he has every right to initiate a vote to remove you for any reason, and up to the group to support or deny the request.

Meanwhile, playing as a group meant that you should respect the choices of everyone else in the group regarding cutscenes.

If someone wants to listen then you respect that and don't act like everyone should do things your way. Part of that whole "team" thing.

I agree that vote-kicking for not space-barring is numpty behaviour, but could you explain your thinking regarding groups 'respecting the choices of everyone else'. You seem to suggest that if one person wants to watch and three don't then the three should respect the choices of the one. Why not the other way around?

this is a multiplayer game. he has every right to initiate a vote to remove you for any reason, and up to the group to support or deny the request.

I start vote kicks all the time. Most people seem to not care, though. The times I really get action are when I say "Kick them or kick me, but I'm not going on with them in the group."

I agree that vote-kicking for not space-barring is numpty behaviour, but could you explain your thinking regarding groups 'respecting the choices of everyone else'. You seem to suggest that if one person wants to watch and three don't then the three should respect the choices of the one. Why not the other way around?

Why not establish up front via a question whether or not the group is going to skip rather than a demand during the convo? "We all OK space barring?" will probably get a near universal "OK" response. One of the problems is that so many players want to just rush off into the FP ASAP (quite often without any idea of what they are doing). Plus, you can't make me space bar and there is no way to tell who is or is not space barring.

Edited by branmakmuffin