Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Companions shouldn't be so mandatory

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Companions shouldn't be so mandatory

Rhalius's Avatar


Rhalius
05.10.2014 , 01:43 AM | #21
Considering that you have to use the companion all the time, it would have been nice if the AI was updated since Neverwinter Nights. It's not. the only difference is that companions teleport to you when stuck instead of remaining stuck behind a table or such.

Most companions seem to be very annoying either way so I'd rather just solo as well.
It could be solved by being allowed to summon a buff instead of a companion. A buff that either upps your damage, armor or regeneration. Thus taking the place of the companion so you dont have to deal with their stupidity.

As for being the most powerfull sith lord or such.. no you arent. not by a long shot. Every NPC owns you. You follow their orders. You don't really get to give any orders. You can't even get rid of the earlier mentioned companions no matter how much they betray you, annoy you or how otherwise common sense would dictate that you wouldnt want them to travel with you.

Face it, all you get to be is the person who gets stuck holding the door open to an entire marching band.
Jedi Knight Gost Ganar
Member of The Praxeum Multi National Jedi RP Guild
"Defender of the people."

MaximusRex's Avatar


MaximusRex
05.10.2014 , 02:43 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by GuegFett View Post
If you compare to a real tank in WoW,
This isn't WoW, nor does it need to be. Most MMOs don't have the absurd levels of power creep that Blizzard likes to have in their games, and I think this game is for the better not having them.

Sure, my Death Knight can pull a crap ton of mobs, as that is what you need to do to make the game non-trivial for a tank. My Warlock can also pull tons of mobs, but try doing that on some DPS classes, or healers, and you are probably not have things end well for you.

In SWTOR, I feel as capable in similarly geared characters of any class, and I also find I need to use my brain to figure out hard groups sometimes.

Even if the game was re-balanced to solo without out companion, you would still not be pulling any more mobs then you do now.

If you want to just faceroll through tons and tons of mobs with zero thought, I'm not even sure MMORPG is the best kind of game for you.

Daxer's Avatar


Daxer
05.10.2014 , 03:38 AM | #23
What a lot of you people seem to think is, your character has to automatically be strong because of the storyline that implies that it is strong. However, try thinking like this: your character is only as strong as you are, since you are the player, if you master your class completely and learn to do everything, you will feel strong and your character will be strong.
You can't just buff abilities to 1-2 hit mobs, you have to work for it and become a better player to feel "heroic".
"There was a time where they cared nothing for Miss Vance. When their only experience of humanity was a crowbar, coming at them down a steel corridor."

LordArtemis's Avatar


LordArtemis
05.10.2014 , 11:24 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
Interesting. What makes you say that?

I can only speak for myself (of course), but I found the idea of having a companion and gearing him/her up reminded me of single player RPGs that I liked. The fact that it existed in an MMO was part of the appeal of this game.
Poor reaction across the net. The reviews were solid, but players rated the game poorly, this being one of the common complaints. I think an optional system, like most games in the past would have been a wiser choice and had the complete opposite effect.

LordArtemis's Avatar


LordArtemis
05.10.2014 , 11:32 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Lednew View Post
While I agree with you in principle, I must point out that your examples are added features, and what the OP is talking about is changing a fundamental aspect of the game's design. He might as well be suggesting the removal of the conversation wheel.

There will always be folks who disagree with decisions made by the designers and/or developers. In this particular case, I do not happen to be one, but that is beside the point. Because whether you think companion-dependent play was a good move or a bad one, it's a little late now to be completely re-designing the game from the ground up, which is what you would have to do to "fix" what you believe is wrong. Especially considering the impact it would have on every player that doesn't share your opinion on it.

Yes, I do understand this, which is the reason why (as I said before) I don't like it when people torpedo a suggestion without objectively considering the pros as well as the cons. In this case however, trying to pull a cornerstone without having the whole building topple over just isn't feasible, and like it or not companion-dependent play IS a cornerstone of this game's design.
I see the concerns certainly...and I do feel it would be ridiculous to attempt to rebalance the game for a smooth solo play model. That is completely unrealistic IMO.

However, a bolster for solo play...that could work. I have actually suggested this in the past, and this is how it would function....

When your companion is not deployed, you have a natural buff that gives you X amount of extra health and power and boosts your health and power recharge times by X. Would only work in the open world and PVE questing instances.

By boosting your pool and recharge rates, without effecting your cooldowns, you still gimp the character as intended by design if they are solo, but make true solo play survivable. Call it a difficulty slider if you will, it would make the game much more difficult to play in a PVE environment but not impossible.

This actually has side benefits, as it provides that difficulty slider for those folks that feel the base game is too easy.

Daewan's Avatar


Daewan
05.10.2014 , 01:56 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
II would like to see a solo bolster that would only work in PVE, in the open world and mission instances. This way you are still at a bit of a disadvantage but you would be better able to solo if you wish.
There is one. It's called "purple gear with augments."
Darth Squeek, Dark Lord of the Skittles
<< Addict
KeÁrye Legacy, <Black Star Society>/<Intrepid Adventurers>
Questions about SWTOR? SEARCH DULFY! :: Crew Skills sub-Forum
Obligatory referral link

LordArtemis's Avatar


LordArtemis
05.12.2014 , 06:35 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Daewan View Post
There is one. It's called "purple gear with augments."
I don't think it's called that. I think that particular boost is called "mild enhancement that still leaves you severely gimped if you are solo".

Yes, I know the name is too long....the research department is working on that.

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
05.12.2014 , 06:40 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
I don't think it's called that. I think that particular boost is called "mild enhancement that still leaves you severely gimped if you are solo".

Yes, I know the name is too long....the research department is working on that.
What did you think of my experiment soloing at-level mobs with blue gear?

I'm not even that good of a Guardian tank (this being the first time I've ever played one).

Based on this, I maintain that the OP's premise is incorrect.

LordArtemis's Avatar


LordArtemis
05.12.2014 , 10:36 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
What did you think of my experiment soloing at-level mobs with blue gear?

I'm not even that good of a Guardian tank (this being the first time I've ever played one).

Based on this, I maintain that the OP's premise is incorrect.
I think that is fair. Though I have not had the very same experience you had (in some cases I actually killed them quite easily, in others I was easily trounced though I was overleveled slightly for the area, depends on your class and the mobs it seems) I can certainly see how that is possible.

I just personally feel that is not the norm. I think the norm would more likely be that we are generally underpowered in the world against mobs of our level when questing without companions, and this was exactly the design intent.

Just my view...does not mean you are wrong and I am right. I am certainly open to more testing or experience that differ from my view, and would be willing to change my mind if enough evidence demands it.

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
05.12.2014 , 10:52 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
Just my view...does not mean you are wrong and I am right. I am certainly open to more testing or experience that differ from my view, and would be willing to change my mind if enough evidence demands it.
I completely understand.

Honestly, it never occurred to me to try the game without a companion until one day doing Black Hole dailies with my old guild, when the other three suddenly got yanked into handling some drama or another (long story). For whatever reason I felt guilty at the thought of dropping group, so I just ran around doing the daily quests completely solo.

There have also been any number of times when I forget to re-summon my companion after a group finder flashpoints, get on a speeder and go attack some mobs. O.o The first time it happens is quite startling, and the second time it happens you feel like a fool.

But with a few exceptions I can usually pull it off (unless I pull two groups).

Basically, my experience tells me that one could level completely solo, on the proviso that one's gear was kept up-to-date, you played really well, and make sure your important abilities were off CD. This would be particularly true if one were 2-5 levels over the mobs (as described in the OP).

Of course, the only way to know for sure would be to level that way. I find myself intrigued. I wonder if I could bring myself to do this experiment. I tend not to like melee classes (except for a Shadow/Assassin, but I just leveled one). I suppose a Commando would be the most likely to succeed, seeing as how he has off-heals, an in-combat mez, a good AOE and good single target damage.

I just might give it a try.