Tank with a bit of DPS - Crit or Alacrity?

Rooksx

I'm playing a PvE tank Darkness Sin and want a bit of DPS, ie 3 DPS mods. Is it better to get 1213 Alacrity or Crit? Jaydenz's guide currently says Alacrity, but IIRC correctly he advocated Crit in a previous version of the guide. Also, would it be right to still aim for 50% Shield and sacrifice Absorb? Thanks!

I'd go with Alacrity since it doesn't contain the random element that crit does.

7.15% alacrity is a 7.15% dps gain, plain and simple.

That's not how alacricity works at all.

Getting to the first alacricity threshold will change your GCD from 1.5s to 1.4s, and reduce channeling times, individual ability cd times, and dots/hots will tick faster. Whether that increases your overall dps is dependant on a lot of facters. It certainly isn't as as simple as 1% more alacricity = 1% more dps. In fact, some higher alacricity builds will reduce overall dps, not increase it.

Critical is probably the easiest extra stat to give your tank and play around with a bit, since you don't need to reach any threshold to get a benefit from it.

That's not how alacricity works at all.

Getting to the first alacricity threshold will change your GCD from 1.5s to 1.4s, and reduce channeling times, individual ability cd times, and dots/hots will tick faster. Whether that increases your overall dps is dependant on a lot of facters. It certainly isn't as as simple as 1% more alacricity = 1% more dps. In fact, some higher alacricity builds will reduce overall dps, not increase it.

Critical is probably the easiest extra stat to give your tank and play around with a bit, since you don't need to reach any threshold to get a benefit from it.

Lol, what?

The reduction in GCD from 1.5 to 1.4 is literally ~7.15%. Your resource will rebuild that much quicker, your cooldowns will be that much shorter, and you'll be activiting any ability exactly that much faster. It literally translates 1 to 1.

And you claim some higher alacrity builds reduce dps? That's physically impossible. They can net you less gain than an amount of crit, but they can't REDUCE your damage output. That's not a thing.

Please, if you're going to advise people.. at least make sure you get it right

Lol, what?

The reduction in GCD from 1.5 to 1.4 is literally ~7.15%. Your resource will rebuild that much quicker, your cooldowns will be that much shorter, and you'll be activiting any ability exactly that much faster. It literally translates 1 to 1.

And you claim some higher alacrity builds reduce dps? That's physically impossible. They can net you less gain than an amount of crit, but they can't REDUCE your damage output. That's not a thing.

Please, if you're going to advise people.. at least make sure you get it right

I think he's saying that increasing alacrity 7.15% does not necessarily increase raw dps output by 7.15%. idk, as i run the 1.4s gcd and haven't bothered measuring exactly how much more dps i got when i got it set up that way.

I think he's saying that increasing alacrity 7.15% does not necessarily increase raw dps output by 7.15%. idk, as i run the 1.4s gcd and haven't bothered measuring exactly how much more dps i got when i got it set up that way.

The thing is that it does. Because literally everything that influences output will go 7.15% faster.

The only factor able to undo that is the human factor.

I said high alacricity BUILDS.

The theorycrafters advise players to go for either the low or high alacricity threshold for a reason, not some number between, or below, or higher. Most classes/spec simply perform better with the low alacricity build than with the high.

Although the theorycrafters, and my own parsing tests, might all be wrong. When the boss hits enrage I shouldn't point fingers at the dps with zero crit and sky high alacricity, since their dps must be totally awesome since 25% alacricity = 25% more dps.