Missile Lock Bug?

Morgrid

I'll lock on a missile and up until I get the "Missile Locked" tone. When I release my mouse button nothing at all happens.

No missile is launched, the lock just vanishes without them using an engine ability / distortion field / heading out of range.

This even happens when someone is going in a straight line or even stopped.

Is anyone else having this issue?

I'll lock on a missile and up until I get the "Missile Locked" tone. When I release my mouse button nothing at all happens.

No missile is launched, the lock just vanishes without them using an engine ability / distortion field / heading out of range.

This even happens when someone is going in a straight line or even stopped.

Is anyone else having this issue?

ya that happens from time to time to me.... sometimes its just server lag.

It's not a bug, it's just a bad gameplay mechanic.

The tone indicates you have a lock, and it's ready to fire, but targets can easily fly past you before you release the right mouse button. The devs have said that this is a intentional design so you can be more strategic with your missile firing, but I'd prefer the missile just auto-fires as soon as you have the lock. Maybe they can give us the option in a future patch. HINT HINT!

Edited by ViciousFett

It's not a bug, it's just a bad gameplay mechanic.

The tone indicates you have a lock, and it's ready to fire, but targets can easily fly past you before you release the right mouse button. The devs have said that this is a intentional design so you can be more strategic with your missile firing, but I'd prefer the missile just auto-fires as soon as you have the lock. Maybe they can give us the option in a future patch. HINT HINT!

You're talking about something else.

Let's say someone is in the middle range of a missile, say..... 3.5 km.

At a dead stop.

A missile will fail to launch at times after a complete lock.

At a dead stop.

This is almost certainly due to lag. When someone's connection to the server is lagged, they will appear either stopped in place or on a set trajectory that does not waver.

<theory>

Your client allows you to lock onto them. But when you release the mouse button to fire the missile, the client then checks with the server to verify that the target is still viable for a missile lock. Your client has to check with the server about missiles because the target could use an evasive maneuver to break the lock before or after you fire.

We don't know what the server says back, but it's possible that it denies the missile lock because it hasn't heard back from the target's client in a while. Your client is told "no dice" and your missile lock fails. In this case the laggy target, not the shooter, is given the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure if that's the case BioWare has their reasons.

We don't see quite the same thing with lasers because the entire "did my laser hit my target" check happens on the shooter's client. Why? Because there's nothing the target can do in reaction to dodge a shot that's been fired. Your client takes the last known data (from the server) about your target and generates a lead indicator. If you aim and hit that lead indicator, your client does an accuracy vs. evasion check. If you hit you hit--it's not like the target could do something to change that. That's why you'll sometimes see a damage floatytext the moment your lasers leave the barrels but before they connect with the target--the check to see if you hit happens the instant you pull the trigger.

</theory>

I'm sure I'm not 100% right on any of that, but it's a possible explanation that makes sense.

This is almost certainly due to lag. When someone's connection to the server is lagged, they will appear either stopped in place or on a set trajectory that does not waver.

<theory>

Your client allows you to lock onto them. But when you release the mouse button to fire the missile, the client then checks with the server to verify that the target is still viable for a missile lock. Your client has to check with the server about missiles because the target could use an evasive maneuver to break the lock before or after you fire.

We don't know what the server says back, but it's possible that it denies the missile lock because it hasn't heard back from the target's client in a while. Your client is told "no dice" and your missile lock fails. In this case the laggy target, not the shooter, is given the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure if that's the case BioWare has their reasons.

We don't see quite the same thing with lasers because the entire "did my laser hit my target" check happens on the shooter's client. Why? Because there's nothing the target can do in reaction to dodge a shot that's been fired. Your client takes the last known data (from the server) about your target and generates a lead indicator. If you aim and hit that lead indicator, your client does an accuracy vs. evasion check. If you hit you hit--it's not like the target could do something to change that. That's why you'll sometimes see a damage floatytext the moment your lasers leave the barrels but before they connect with the target--the check to see if you hit happens the instant you pull the trigger.

</theory>

I'm sure I'm not 100% right on any of that, but it's a possible explanation that makes sense.

That is plausible.

Nothing is more rage inducing other than having a missile that would kill someone (already blown their escapes...) fail to fire.

Except ion railguns.

At a dead stop.

I have noticed cases where the lock will occasionally drop or I'll have a "misfire." As near as I can tell the tone and getting a lock are out of sync by just a little. I've found that, when I have the option, holding for an extra second after getting a solid lock tone dramatically decreases misfires.