What was the point of crafting again?

Demorase

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the point of spending thousands of thousands of credits and time to level up a profession was to, in the long run, make the money back and get something out of it.

Just taking artifice as an example, it took me around 300k total to get to 400 and during all that time I could have leveled up a different profession, and now I'm left with no way of making my money back or even getting anything useful out of it.

Everybody has access to the same or even better stuff I can make (hilts, mods, shields, offhands) by just spending their commendations or just doing flashpoints, so it has no value whatsoever on the market. And I get no special bonus or anything.

What was the point :confused:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not really leveling my crafting atm, going to see if BioWare fixes it in the next patch or two, or I'm dropping them and getting slicing (free credits) and biochem for the stims... any other profession right now is an insult to what crafting should be... they are totally useless, if I were the dev who spent my hours making those professions I would be insulted that BioW nerfed them to uselessness...

If they had wanted to ensure everyone would run end game content to get stuff then just yank the professions in the first place and put collecting pets to fight instead :-P

That might work...

duh... so you could feel 'fufilled' by having it done? How do you think Armormech/Synthweavers felt when they found out about orange gear and how thier orange recipies look like poop and also how they felt when they saw how easy it is to get pvp gear that trumps EVERYTHING they can make. Oh... they do BiS bracers and belts though... guess its not so bad :D

I don't think the point of crafting in this game was to be able to make your money back.

It seems it was more of a side game, where you would be able to make some interesting things for yourself and a few people, but it is obviously not intended to make money.

A few crafters will get lucky enough or have guilds big enough to make money with dropped schematics and materials, but for the majority of crafters the point is an interesting diversion, kind of like a mini game.

And I should say, you CAN make money, just not nearly as much as you can through other means and not nearly enough to justify the time and effort it takes to level your skills.

When you look at the way crafting was implemented, particularly taking into consideration that all your top recipes require mats dropped in hard mode flash points and operations that still are not as good as drops and PVP gears, it's obvious this game was not intended to have a functioning player based economy. Crafting is just for fun.

Edited by Bluejayoo

I don't think the point of crafting in this game was to be able to make your money back.

It seems it was more of a side game, where you would be able to make some interesting things for yourself and a few people, but it is obviously not intended to make money.

A few crafters will get lucky enough or have guilds big enough to make money with dropped schematics and materials, but for the majority of crafters the point is an interesting diversion, kind of like a mini game.

And I should say, you CAN make money, just not nearly as much as you can through other means and not nearly enough to justify the time and effort it takes to level your skills.

When you look at the way crafting was implemented, particularly taking into consideration that all your top recipes require mats dropped in hard mode flash points and operations that still are not as good as drops and PVP gears, it's obvious this game was not intended to have a functioning player based economy. Crafting is just for fun.

If it's just for fun then by all mean tell me what perk I get as artifice considering all I can do is stuff that have no cosmetic effects whatsoever?

Was the fun part when you spend thousands of thousands of credits and have no money to even buy your skills while leveling only to find out you get nothing out of it back? Cause that sure wasn't very fun :p

Edited by Demorase

Really the only skill that has any value at this time is BioChem due to the unlimited heals/stims.

The idea is always that a player can build better gear then a mob will drop or a quest will reward, thus a player made item is desirable... thats definitely not the case with TOR. At least it sure as heck doesn't seem that way.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the point of spending thousands of thousands of credits and time to level up a profession was to, in the long run, make the money back and get something out of it.

Just taking artifice as an example, it took me around 300k total to get to 400 and during all that time I could have leveled up a different profession, and now I'm left with no way of making my money back or even getting anything useful out of it.

Everybody has access to the same or even better stuff I can make (hilts, mods, shields, offhands) by just spending their commendations or just doing flashpoints, so it has no value whatsoever on the market. And I get no special bonus or anything.

What was the point :confused:

the point was to act as a money sink until you rerolled to biochem.

Nah what really happend whas they rushed the craft skills into the game without much thought behind them. What you end up with is a bunch of worthless crafts and one really powerful one.

As a devoted crafter in SWToR and every other MMO that I've played, no. Just no.

If it's just for fun then by all mean tell me what perk I get as artifice considering all I can do is stuff that have no cosmetic effects whatsoever?

Was the fun part when you spend thousands of thousands of credits and have no money to even buy your skills while leveling only to find out you get nothing out of it back? Cause that sure wasn't very fun :p

So color crystals aren't cosmetic now?

I don't know what the complaint is.

Bioware has said for quite a long time "Crafting is not Heroic".

So calm down and go do Heroic things like Bioware wants you to do.... like Heroically running down corridors back and forth, Heroically playing step and fetch it for the NPCs, Heroically watching NPCs do cool stuff and save your SI over and over and over agian...

So color crystals can only be aquired though artifice now?

For magenta, yes, actually. Granted, they're tradable, but only artificers can make them. I imagine there will be other colors like that as well. Either way, using artifice is a much more reliable way of keeping level-appropriate color crystals in your weapons than purchasing them from the GTN or through extracting them from quest rewards (are there even other ways of getting them?).

For magenta, yes, actually. Granted, they're tradable, but only artificers can make them. I imagine there will be other colors like that as well. Either way, using artifice is a much more reliable way of keeping level-appropriate color crystals in your weapons than purchasing them from the GTN or through extracting them from quest rewards (are there even other ways of getting them?).

Just Wow.

What's that smell hmm? A biochem telling me I spent 300k to make a magenta crystal that anyone can equip and telling me it's fine while he gets the best buffs in the game exclusively and can sells his stim at outrageous prices.

Gosh thank you for enlightning me :)

Just Wow.

What's that smell hmm? A biochem telling me I spent 300k to make a magenta crystal that anyone can equip and telling me it's fine while he gets the best buffs in the game exclusively and can sells his stim at outrageous prices.

Gosh thank you for enlightning me :)

No, that smell is actually an artificer. Nice try, though. Clearly the professions aren't entirely finished/balanced yet. Just stick with what you have (or what you *really* want) and don't worry about what other professions are getting in the short term. In time, they'll all have some sort of unique perk (though I consider being able to make exclusive colors and relics sufficient enough for me, even if they're not fully up to snuff yet the intent is clear).

Edited by CrimsonEdge

No, that smell is actually an artificer. Nice try, though. Clearly the professions aren't entirely finished/balanced yet. Just stick with what you have (or what you *really* want) and don't worry about what other professions are getting in the short term. In time, they'll all have some sort of unique perk (though I consider being able to make exclusive colors and relics sufficient enough for me, even if they're not fully up to snuff yet the intent is clear).

Sticking with the profession is all up to me, you can't tell people to stick with it saying it will get better when you absolutely no freaking idea if/when it's even going to happen.

If you're an artificer and are happy to be able to craft mighty magenta crystals then it's just great for you, I'm not though, and I don't see why I should be :rolleyes:

I've probably made (through my unscientific calculations) about a 10% return on my crafting abilities overall. Probably a little more with cybertech, little less with synthweave, but overall I've definitely turned a profit. If all your doing is crafting greens, REing, crafting blues, REing, then hoping you get that 1 in 50 chance to get a purple, no you will not make money.

To the people who aren't making money crafting: you're doing it wrong.

For those doing it "right", what are you spending the credits on? I'm just curious because I've made millions of credits and don't know what to spend them on. I don't really want to make an alt until they implement the Legacy system. Lately I've been hanging out in lower areas giving money out to low levels who complain they're broke. Gave some guy 6K towards a speeder - that's just a fraction of the, what, 110K or so we make every day off of dalies at 50?

Sticking with the profession is all up to me, you can't tell people to stick with it saying it will get better when you absolutely no freaking idea if/when it's even going to happen.

If you're an artificer and are happy to be able to craft mighty magenta crystals then it's just great for you, I'm not though, and I don't see why I should be :rolleyes:

Look, all I'm saying is that the game's hardly been out a month since EGA, give it a bit of time for all the little stuff like that to be ironed out. It's clear that they intend to make them all even, given their comments about putting Artifact Operation/PvP mods into Custom gear from Synthweavers, Armormech, Armstech, and yes, even Artifice.

They're working on it, just give them the chance to do it.

For those doing it "right", what are you spending the credits on? I'm just curious because I've made millions of credits and don't know what to spend them on. I don't really want to make an alt until they implement the Legacy system. Lately I've been hanging out in lower areas giving money out to low levels who complain they're broke. Gave some guy 6K towards a speeder - that's just a fraction of the, what, 110K or so we make every day off of dalies at 50?

Yep, give it to your alts so they don't have to spend time crafting etc.

Armormech and I'm just guessing on this, but probably Synthweaving as well can craft their endgame (Rakata - rating 140) belt and bracers... that's definitely a perk right there.

Armormech and I'm just guessing on this, but probably Synthweaving as well can craft their endgame (Rakata - rating 140) belt and bracers... that's definitely a perk right there.

Exactly. Many of these perks are already in there in some form, just perhaps not fully implemented yet. It's clear they don't intend to have any one profession stand out over the pack, so there's no sense dropping your crew skill for Biochem just because it's "the best" right now. Clearly it's something they're going to be working on, so why drop your already-levelled-to-400 crew skill just to pick up the flavor of the month?

Exactly. Many of these perks are already in there in some form, just perhaps not fully implemented yet. It's clear they don't intend to have any one profession stand out over the pack, so there's no sense dropping your crew skill for Biochem just because it's "the best" right now. Clearly it's something they're going to be working on, so why drop your already-levelled-to-400 crew skill just to pick up the flavor of the month?

Look man. Just quit it.

Your argument makes no sense, if in 3 months artifice has really cool stuff then of course I won't be complaining then, right now we get nothing, that's my point, right now.

You're responding to my argument by saying the flawed present isn't flawed because in an obscure future it's gonna be fine, how's that change anything about the current situation?