PTS Focus Test - Mando Arena - 7/21

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

For our last and final planned focus test on PTS, we want you to all hit against the Mandalorian Battle Ring. We have made some changes and so we really want to get your thoughts!

When: Saturday, 7/21 - 10AM - 12PM Pacific

How: Queue for Ranked Warzones

Please use this thread to post any and all feedback on the Arena after playing the new changes!

-eric

Chat functions don't see to be working, especially /say going to opposite team opposite faction.

Of course, it could just be that people on the other team were just ignoring me instead :D:D:D

Ah, someone else on the pub fleet thought of a possible explanation for this... because I was pub side in that match with you, and I DID see some /say messages from an imp-side player on the other team. I guess /say has a range... maybe the spawn areas are outside the range, and that is why /say wasn't working at the start?

Just a thought, and not actually my original one.

• The white-grey ''defeat-victory'' board can be quite confusing/difficult to see as you need to look close at ''Did we win? Did we lose?'' as the color is barely visable if you ask me. (Make it bigger/more purple? When it was green/red it was better and faster seeable.
  • Perhaps make the landing spots random from the jump pads?

• Also perhaps add/remove something that you can enter the middle area from the upper platform?

• Tweak a little more with the match making? :o i ended up with 3 mara's/sentinals in 1 group :(

https://puu.sh/B0EsX.jpg

also: the scoreboard is bugged (right on top) :) It shows you+ your team in the enemyteam

See Printscreen:

https://puu.sh/B0DPL.jpg

Also: I wanna thank the 11? (where was everyone else? :( ) other players for showing up! It's been great fun playing against and with you guys!

& Thanks the devs for setting the ranked pop on this arena only!

Edited by pyrietboletje

Ah, someone else on the pub fleet thought of a possible explanation for this... because I was pub side in that match with you, and I DID see some /say messages from an imp-side player on the other team. I guess /say has a range... maybe the spawn areas are outside the range, and that is why /say wasn't working at the start?

Just a thought, and not actually my original one.

I was doing it pretty constantly throughout the match, the start I figured was out of range, and was asking for feedback multiple times and the only response I got was from an imp side player. As I said, could have just been people ignoring me, but figured I'd mention it.

Actually, it raises a good point, that there should be a way to chat with people opposite faction opposite team other than say (so it can go across the whole map) especially since everything is crossfaction now. /1 still works for same faction, so something to talk to enemy opposing faction makes sense.

Edited by LordTurin

Solos on this map feel horrible, the map feels both huge and small at the same time.

Most of the game was spent going up and down, movement abilities that are prone to desync are very problematic.

If someone was knocked down or had to drop it was very easy to isolate and kill them.

The vents, rails, and the additional LOS at the top are great improvements, but the map still feels problematic.

Thank you for listening to our feedback and continuing to make changes.

First off, I don't think this playtest was advertised efficiently. We weren't able to get consistent pops till the end of the playtest, which is unfortunate. This is just something to think about for future tests as timing and advertisement have a huge effect on the success of these tests.

Having said this, here are a few things:

1. SOMETIMES, it is possible for the scoreboard to label your own team as being the enemy team. See screenshot: https://gyazo.com/c2f6f2893add7552c06d872095295530

2. it is currently possible to leap to someone who is in the process of utilizing the vents. This results in fall damage being taken. Not sure if this is intended or not, but playing as a mara it was kinda inconvenient to accidentally leap to someone while they were mid-air and be punished for it.

3. I think the rails and the vents are definitely an improvement to the warzone. However, it is still my opinion that I do not like the general design of the arena. I feel that the overall design relies too heavily on going upwards onto the main stage, which many ranked players will agree is unfavorable gameplay. Getting knocked off is still too highly punishable, and the downstairs area is mainly being wasted.

As a side note, a few people in the game were questioning if having a set spot to get carried up on the vents was favorable as opposed to it being random. Personally, I think both options have their own pros and cons, but I think its a conversation worth having.

Thanks for letting us test! I hope the PTS is more utilized in future updates as well!

Edited by Pizza_boy

Chat functions don't see to be working, especially /say going to opposite team opposite faction.

Of course, it could just be that people on the other team were just ignoring me instead :D:D:D

I suggested in an earlier thread that they should just make the general chat in warzone instances cross-faction. There might still be an issue where you can talk to players in a different match, but it would simplify the communication.

Right now, it's super inconvenient to talk to other players. For example, I don't think you can whisper enemy players on the same faction through the portrait menu, you actually need to /w in chat.

For this specific instance, I agree with Banderal that it may have been out of range, since /say is range-limited. But it is hard to test bugs like this.

All in all, I was in 8 matches during today's playtest. It started out very slowly (with only 2 matches in the first hour) but then we got instant pops.

Unfortunately, there was no second healer online so I played DPS. We had a couple matches with 3 DPS and 1 tank, but most matches were with 4 DPS.

The matchmaking felt pretty good, like I always had different players on my team. One match they were my enemy, the next match they were on my team. But that's probably because most of us were on characters with 1200 rating.

I really like the two new jump pads. I'd say that the arena is now ready for release; there are no more bugs and the major issues (getting knocked down with a long way back up) have been fixed. Most groups will probably end up fighting up top, with the corridor down below only used for escaping/healing up, and waiting for acid.

I enjoy that the air vents always put you in the same position. I'd hate to be hit with RNG, better to land in the same spot. This does allow the enemy team to intercept you at the landing zone but I guess that's fine.

However, I did have one weird situation: I stepped onto the jump pad in stealth, and immediately took damage even though I was still in mid-air. (The enemy team was at the top.) And then when I landed, I was rooted in place for a second or so (due to normal lag when being pulled/knocked), which made it difficult to escape.

I'm not sure if it was a desync issue. If an enemy places an AoE into the landing spot, you should only take damage once you land, not while you are still in mid-air.

A guildie told me about a bug from a previous PTS patch where you can get knocked into the enemy's spawn area. I tried holotraversing to an enemy in his spawn area and got the error message "You can't leap to this player" etc., so players can't get there yourself. However, you should probably test that players can't be knocked in there (e.g. with a Jugger/Guardian push). Because if that's successful, they'll be able to hide there till the end of the round and can probably survive the acid the longest.

During the first match, I was hit with the roll bug (on my Scoundrel). I used Holotraverse and roll at the same time, and then was stuck in place for the rest of the match. But I believe that's an issue with the ability and not with the map.

Finally, I have also seen the bug that sometimes you are shown as being on the golden team, yet the golden team is labelled as enemy team. In other matches, I was on the golden team and it said "Your team". Not sure what's up with that.

And I agree that the silver background color on the ''defeat-victory'' board is bad. It makes it hard to see the bright text on it. Also, I'd like to immediately see if I won or lost the round based on a red/green background color, I don't want to have to read the text to see if it was a victory or a defeat.

Edited by Jerba

I have been thinking about the victory/defeat board. but perhaps make the red-green an option in the settings? as i can understand why its changed (colorblind mode etc) but why not make it a option in the settings? instead of making it a permanent change for everyone.